Is Ark the best game you have EVER played?

Charlie12345

Such a difficult question

Im over 500 hours into officials alone(honestly id say closer to 1000, xbox is buggy when it comes to collecting that data), Ive spent the vast majority of that whining to my tribemates on whatever server im on at the time about how the game is poop, but I STILL sink the majority of my free time into it because i WANT TO LOVE it, I have to love it, I was a typical kid 20 years ago who saw Jurassic park and instantly wanted a pet Dilo, I wanted to dig up dino fossils for a living(never did it, way too much school for no cash really), so this game lets me live out all my childhood fantasies in console form, its perfect for me, its the most complete game for my tastes ever released, is it the best Ive ever played though

NO

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Charlie12345 said:

I am now getting on a bit (nearly 40) and have been playing video games since my Dad coded a basic flying game where the graphics were letters on the screen of a ZX81 Spectrum.  I have spent hours playing various concoles / PC games and have loved a number of them.

I appreciate Ark is not without it faults.  There are some bugs and performance issues.  However, I would say the most I have ever played a game previously was probably 100 hours max.  On Ark I am now over 2,000 hours and having just started playing in The Center map feel like I have a brand new game to try. 

I think Ark is without a shadow of a doubt the best game I have ever played - by quite a considerable amount.

Just wondered if others agreed?

About ready to hit year 48 been gaming since the 80s,,, its a fun game is it the best i couldnt say yes  or no. Granted ive spent well over 2k hours on this game but i have done pvp and pve...

Nah; Ark gets kinda close. Maybe top five, top ten definitely. But hands down the best game I ever played was Final Fantasy XI. I poured years in to that MMORPG playing with friends. That game, being a PS2 game, had so much depth that I still don't see in many games today. There was so much content and end-game activities. It was also the most expensive; there was a $12.95 monthly fee to play. I easily spent close to $700 just to play. The next would probably be Final Fantasy XIV. I'm a sucker for Square Enix MMORPG's.

Hell, I'm considering building a PC just to go back to playing FFXI.

Ark is trying to be the best game I've ever played. When/if fully realized and polished, I think there's a good chance it might be and it could end up getting there anyway if we're judging by number of hours poured in as an adult - I rate those as far more valuable than childhood gaming hours only due to scarcity. One thing, for me that feeling of something to do with a sense of urgency (official PvP) never goes away, and that's awesome from a "want to play it perspective."

Still I can't possibly call an unfinished game better than some of amazing games I've played over the course of my life, wouldn't be fair to the latter. Still for EA and in idea and scope Ark is really something special despite any of the faults.

6 hours ago, Charlie12345 said:

I am now getting on a bit (nearly 40) and have been playing video games since my Dad coded a basic flying game where the graphics were letters on the screen of a ZX81 Spectrum.  I have spent hours playing various concoles / PC games and have loved a number of them.

I appreciate Ark is not without it faults.  There are some bugs and performance issues.  However, I would say the most I have ever played a game previously was probably 100 hours max.  On Ark I am now over 2,000 hours and having just started playing in The Center map feel like I have a brand new game to try. 

I think Ark is without a shadow of a doubt the best game I have ever played - by quite a considerable amount.

This articulates exactly how I feel. I was actually having a similar conversation with my wife about this. 

My favorite games before this have been Final Fantasy 3 as number 1, LoZelda: Link to the Past as 2, and Goldeneye as 3.

I think the reason those are top is because there are emotional connections to them. It's not so much about the bugs, smoothness of game play, best story line, or graphics. For FF3 it was the first RPG I really got into, and I got hooked on the story line. For LOZ, there was an immense satisfaction from solving the puzzles, and I'll never forget when I saw the master sword for the first time, and when I first picked it up). For Goldeneye, it is connected to many many hours playing with friends while we talked about life, girls, and our futures. 

Ark is my new favorite. I have not been this into a game since Goldeneye. Everything else is generally meh. Someone mentioned Halo reach. I really enjoyed that, but it never dethroned my previous favorites. And Halo 5 dropped the ball. 

My wife has also gotten into Ark (Thanks again devs for putting the extra effort into split screen!!), so that adds a huge dimension to the fun factor and building memories around it.

Great post.

2 hours ago, Arkasaurio said:

Ark is trying to be the best game I've ever played. When/if fully realized and polished, I think there's a good chance it might be and it could end up getting there anyway if we're judging by number of hours poured in as an adult - I rate those as far more valuable than childhood gaming hours only due to scarcity. One thing, for me that feeling of something to do with a sense of urgency (official PvP) never goes away, and that's awesome from a "want to play it perspective."

Still I can't possibly call an unfinished game better than some of amazing games I've played over the course of my life, wouldn't be fair to the latter. Still for EA and in idea and scope Ark is really something special despite any of the faults.

My thoughts exactly.  Ark is exactly what I've wanted since I started gaming as a kid.  That said - it is rough around the edges so I'll withhold judgement until it is finalized.  Even if the developers don't get everything exactly right i fully expect mods to come out that will make the experience even better.

11 hours ago, Charlie12345 said:

Definitely! Just a shame I'm rubbish at it...but I still come back everyday :D:D

In the past, I have mentioned how Ark Survival Evolved mixes everything I ever enjoyed in a single game. Ark is for sure the game I played the most in my entire history thus far. So this would essentially place it as the top ranking game for me. I have a busy life thankfully, but I still managed to get 914 hours into Ark, the second game I played the most had 252 hours and was from the PS2 era.

I do miss the story elements however, with great voice over performances and a good back story. Really miss this when playing Ark, but that is about it. Ark grants me freedom of creativity, of a great number of possibilities and technology progression while riding dinos, its just too awesome to skip it. =) 

Thats a pretty broad and difficult question to be honest, what makes a game best?

Best Story? Ha, no.

Best Gameplay? IMO, no.

Best Music? No, needs more main menu/load screens nice though.

Best Graphics? Wouldnt know, potato laptop.

Best Value? $32 CAD for 4417 hours? Im going with a yes on this one.

-----

Would trade my first play through of Super Metroid, Resident Evil 2, Parasite Eve, first four years in WoW, Azure Dreams, Mass Effect 2, Zelda A link to the Past, Megaman 2, Secret of Evermore, ect ect ect ect....ect..... for Ark? Never.

5 minutes ago, Martellus said:

I do miss the story elements however, with great voice over performances and a good back story. Really miss this when playing Ark, but that is about it. Ark grants me freedom of creativity, of a great number of possibilities and technology progression while riding dinos, its just too awesome to skip it. =) 

I missed this a lot too. Then I was raided while across the map, had to fast travel at a bed then make a daring attempt to fight off attackers. Realize I'm screwed but do just well enough that I'm able to make off with some of few of my most valued dinos while most raiders are distracted with getting into my store room. Chase ensues but I lose them, make it to a raft and evacuate the area. This was a major set back in my game, but at that moment I realized Ark had essentially given me the quintessential rescue your friend/pet/mount/important gear/etc. quest, completely organically. It's all the more compelling when its your base and your stuff dying all around you instead of set pieces.

That was the "Yep, done with FO4," moment for me. Though that's also hell of a game in my opinion.

I have a very strange relationship with Ark.

On the one hand: I would call it my favorite game of all time. The joy, and pleasure, and sheer stress relief and therapeutic value I've gained over the year I've played on Xbox absolutely cannot be overstated.

I love it so much, in fact, that it was the motivating factor in my choice to invest in a gaming PC, and while I'm waiting for it to arrive sometime this week, I bought Ark and Scorched Earth again, back in December.

There are so many things to love, so many good memories and stories...I truly love this game.

However: And this is a huge however, the pop up "Ark needs an update..." has become the stuff of nightmares.

I dodged losing everything to the first accidental server wipe on The Center, dodged losing everything on the accidental wipe of SP and local servers who just tried to load their game by sheer stupid luck, dodged getting wiped during Turkeypocalypse (otherwise known as Turkey Trials, lol) by not playing, didn't corrupt my save data with the pegomastax WorldEnd crash, again by not playing and lurking on the forums for hours after an update to let someone else find out what's broken...it's exhausting.

Every single update makes me feel like I'm playing Russian Roulette, and I'm just waiting for the loaded chamber.

Right now, I haven't even downloaded the update from February 14th because of rumors that pets were deleted off the floating island on The Center, where I call home. My inquiries about how things are there for other players have gone unanswered, so I find myself in a position where I feel like I * can't * play my favorite game for fear of losing the animals I'm very emotionally invested in.

WildCard has found a way to make me love Ark, and at the same time actively discourage me from playing because the Testing and QA for their updates is so very, very lacking.

Ark is my favorite game, but I feel WildCard desperately needs to do something about the Testing and QA for updates. I want to go play Ark! But alas I'm actively discouraged from playing, again. Sincerely hoping for improvements in this department.

Archived