Imprinting Is Unhealthy.

Crows

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, clumsynynja said:

Please, do, point out to me where I compared either to either. :)

You play PvE. I said early I played PvP. Yet you still went out and tried to go on about this and that. PvE is nothing. No end game, no issues, nothing. Just build and do what you want. If you're saying 100% means nothing on PvP then you're clearly still thinking PvE standing. 

2 minutes ago, pkerjock said:

You play PvE. I said early I played PvP. Yet you still went out and tried to go on about this and that. PvE is nothing. No end game, no issues, nothing. Just build and do what you want. If you're saying 100% means nothing on PvP then you're clearly still thinking PvE standing. 

7 minutes ago, clumsynynja said:

Please, do, point out to me where I compared either to either. :)

Also, again, I love how much you obviously don't know about pve and the frankly gross elitism here. 

1 hour ago, pkerjock said:

A fully imprinted dinosaur ridden by whoever imprinted on it is capable of taking on enemies more than twice as powerful as it would've been unimprinted.

• All of it's bonuses are multiplicative.
  • 20% increased health means 20% more time to dish out damage.
  • 20% increased damage.
  • 30% reduced incoming damage means 42% more time to dish out damage.
  • 30% increased outbound damage.
  • 1.2 X 1.2 X 1.42 X 1.3 = 2.65 times as much damaged dished out before dying.

Yeah. Not really much of an advantage am I right?

If you're in a good tribe that wants to be the best, people will sit and 100% a tame. Almost everyone I know in my server has had to have time off work/school/college to 100% a nice tame. That includes gigas/quetz.

I don't think you can just multiply the different stats.

But I'm curious. Can prodive any source on the stats you posted?

17 hours ago, Kallor said:

Just because it's optional doesn't mean the mechanic is fine.  Wildcard are actively promoting and rewarding an activity that's unhealthy (no, it's not going to kill you, but it's not good for you either).

Interrupting normal sleep patterns will cause fatigue.  Fatigue is bad.  Would you disagree with either of those statements?

Why is it acceptable behaviour for a company to encourage people to engage in activities that are bad for them?

Rather than just look at this specific instance, take a step back and imagine an array of behaviours organised from best to worst.  The effects of imprinting will fit on that scale.  As you go further towards the "worst" end of the scale I'd assume that even you would draw the line somewhere and say that's not acceptable for a company to reward and encourage that type of behaviour (even if it's "optional").  

So I think it's a reasonable assumption that most people will agree that companies have a responsibility not to encourage and reward unhealthy behaviour, and the only real debate would be around where you draw the line between what is ok and what isn't.

That, is just correct Mister thats the only issue I have with Ark.

The game it's fun you can lose anything in the most dumb ways, that makes you think I woke up for 14 days straight 3 times at night( I go to sleep at 11 pm and wake up at 8 weekdays and 1 am to 8 am in weekends) I ended up so beat up doing that, that I couldn't even concentrate in the day at all due to that and I felt so tired that it was horrible.

I strongly believe that games shouldn't promote that type of behaviours, instead they should (when implementing stuff like that) have in mind the hours that a person needs to rest, to do what everyone needs to do to live, aka work,study, and play, Based on those 3 factors they should have made the timers on imprinting or the system itself, adecuated to  be manageable without making the big impact it does at the moment.

'Cause we all love ark , thats why we play it even if it does us some bad things... (addiction too much LOL?)  but it only should be that ;) :Jerbhi:

It's not that bad for you, set an alarm to go off every three hours or whatever it is and take you new baby for a walk or whatever it desires. It's not like you have to keep it's torpor up throughout the whole process. Although I haven't done any breading myself I know people that have achieved 100 % imprints without dying or getting fired or divorced ect ect... It just takes some time management and a ton of patience. Neither of which I have myself so I just offer my high level females to breed with a nolifers high level male and let them do the work ? . 

I think it even says in the wiki that raising a carnivore is unrealistic. Ark isn't the only game that promotes this and we all know it. Survival games are a fairly new genre and id guess they'll all be like this 

48 minutes ago, pkerjock said:

"No end game"

Really? So there's no bosses or anything in PVE? The things that were specifically designed to give PVE players an end game goal aren't end game?

I agree completely that imprinting, even breeding takes a toll on your health whether you realize it or not. Forcing your body to stay awake when youre tired is hurting your bodies natural process to recover. When you dont recover your energy, your body will overwork itself to try and keep up to make all involuntary organs/brain work as if you were rested. Prolonged engagement to this will eventually decline someones health to where they may be hospitalized or even kill them. Ive raised Spinos, Wyverns, Rexes which take or what feels like forever when youre forcing yourself to be awake to breed and imprint. How could you expect to beat all the bosses which seem very tough with only top level tames? You need to breed and imprint to have that edge to combat the ultimate lifeforms.

Id say some changes in regular breeding times and imprinting mechanics need a change. Imprinting after a dino is an adult would be better so you could attempt certain kinds of tasks or little quests to entertain or immerse yourself with your raised dino. Something thatll bring you closer together and make that bond feel stronger.

• Volunteer Moderator

I'm not a fan of imprinting but I also dont breed much once in a while. A lot of good suggestions I see here to change it hopefully devs will notice. I really think every 4 hours is crazy unless it was 3 times 12 hour shift only and decrease stats. Maybe have 2 options 12 and 24 hour imprint you chose after it hatches. Obviously you get better tame if you do the 24 hour one for those that like it and 12 hour u get less bonus for those that want it. But there are a lot of great suggestions here if they decided to change it. I'm fine either way. 

3 hours ago, Critter said:

I don't really see the point in this argument. If you put this argument as an analogy, we deal with this all day everyday in our everyday lives anyway. Most of us are just grateful the option is available to breed 100% if we're willing to go the extra mile. If your in school to be a nurse, but want to be a doctor instead, you have to sacrifice more time. The option is available, situation permitting who's blame is on no one or nothing but your own will. This argument is getting old and petty. 

It's unhealthy. Like how cram studying is unhealthy. Doctors have to go through hell to become one. They have high rates of mental problems but can't get them treated. Is that any reason to keep medical the same? Absolutely not. If it is a problem it has to be changed. No one on make imprinting healthy wants a compromise. Here is how you can fix it. Allow tribe imprints. And also have the option to give a toy to a baby that grants passive imprinting while the durability goes down. Still want to imprint without losing sleep? Just give baby a toy. Can be like something that requires lots of mats, so you still have to put it in "effort". Why is everyone opposed to make imprinting actually a fun mechanic that does not encourage sleep deprivation? Waking up every 3 hours is not healthy, especially for people who are not used to it.

this thread makes me want to throw people against a wall. 

19 minutes ago, 10,000 Jelly Doughnuts said:

Why is everyone opposed to make imprinting actually a fun mechanic that does not encourage sleep deprivation?

Good point.  Probably because they like to feel special in that they have something that someone else can't get.

For the record everything I have is either 100% or 0% imprinted (except a few things from vday event where you cant get 100%).  So I can, I have and will continue to 100% imprint every important dinosaur.  Doesn't mean I don't think the current system is horrible and needs changing though.

I'm not opposed to changing the system, I just think there are ways of doing it that still require you to put in more effort than just raising it (one imprint a day is not enough work to justify handing you a dino that's twice as good. Don't remember who made that suggestion, but it's not a good one)

First thing I would do, keep timers the same, but multiply the effectiveness by 1.5-2. That way you don't HAVE to hit it every time, or near every time to get it to 100%.

Second, I'd add more options. In fact, I'd go a step further and do species specific options. Maybe Direwolves could want to play fetch, and you have to toss a ball for them (which you could have to craft, and each time they play with it, the durability goes down, make the materials simple enough to not be a grind, probably hide, fiber and thatch.) Rexes and the other large carnivores might want you to kill a small animal and feed it to them. Sabers might want you to drag a string for them, I don't know... I haven't thought it all the way through... but I wanna play fetch with a direwolf, so they should make it happen!

Guest BubbaCrawfish
7 hours ago, Frozenhole said:

You cant imprint someone elses dino even in a tribe doesnt work

Sorry but there is an option in the server configuration that allows that...

Should really check that out before saying that it can't be done. OP has it set on the server that he plays on, thus this whole topic, doesn't even affect them the way they are making out.

On 2/18/2017 at 3:05 PM, Jostabeere said:

If I can find it, I will post source for this. It is actually a technique used by arctic ocean fishermen when they have to work 12-18 hour shifts on sea.

Of course proper sleep is always better. But you will not get any damage to your health if you do, let's say, a week of imprinting sessions and sleep less by having power naps between imprints. That's what the point of the thread was. And it's just wrong what OP wrote.

Those same arctic fisherman die a lot because they get swept overboard due to not being fully awake because they are suffering from sleep deprivation so you may want to rethink your argument....

4 minutes ago, Z0mbie said:

Those same arctic fisherman die a lot because they get swept overboard due to not being fully awake because they are suffering from sleep deprivation so you may want to rethink your argument....

Them getting swept overboard is due to dangerous conditions, not sleep deprivation.

It's also not relevant to the discussion.

55 minutes ago, Z0mbie said:

So if I imprinted a dino for a week and then a meteor crashes into my house I died because I imprinted? Very unlikely.

Like @vanyelxp5 said, it's due to dangerous conditions. Not just because they slept less. I can bring in the parents argument...Again. Parents wake up every 3-4 hours at night to take care of their baby. And they do not die because of it.

Literally everything about this game is optional. Building a base is optional. Taming dinosaurs is optional. Putting on clothes is optional. Turning on the game and playing it is optional. So being optional means that imprinting is fine the way it is and that nobody is allowed to suggest any adjustments to it? By that logic there is no valid complaint or feedback that anyone can give about anything in this game. They might as well just shut down these forums.

And I don't think that tribe imprinting is the answer either. 1) That would be a major immersion breaker. The idea is that you're forming a personal bond with the dinosaur as it grows up. It wouldn't make sense for it to grow to love you because someone else is feeding it and petting it. 2) It would pointlessly punish solo players and small tribes who are already at a huge disadvantage, while completely taking away any challenge from someone who is in a big tribe.

The idea here isn't to make it less challenging. It's to rework the challenge into something that works around sleep and real life, rather than the other way around.

Jostabre is right and leanna we argued the same point from diffrent angles. Ive been vocal about this before imprinting breeding food consumption is to high. I could deal with the previous excuse of its a tribe based mechanic so multiple people working together. Ok but then they released imprinting which forces you for no reason to be on their game every 3-4 hours just to imprint why cant it be a 8-12 hour window. To those saying its optional its a 60% boost for the riders buddy boost. I have a 100% 190 lightning wyvern i imprinted that can kill a 150 wild rex in one lightning bolt with me riding it. Without me on it it doesnt 1 hit them anymore. Its a great idea just needs tweaked. What about those of us who work? I cant call in to work and say, "hey my baby dragon in a video game needs imprinted so i wont be in today." some people dont get breaks at work. 

Archived