Imprinting Is Unhealthy.

Crows

Imprinting Is Unhealthy.

I'm genuinely surprised that no one is concerned about imprinting bred tames. I'm not making this in an attempt to get it nerfed or to complain about me not having enough time to imprint to 100%, no - I'm just saying that when you look at this game from an outer perspective and then look at breeding, it's ridiculously long for a game's standards and imprinting to 100% is even more ridiculous because you literally have to force yourself awake to imprint every 4 hours, which is just unhealthy considering the fact that it's a game and tames can be lost easily through multiple ways. 

Of course people don't really care though as they'll just accept this and call it "hardcore" and think it's actually pro or skill to force yourself up awake to imprint, so nothing will ever change, but I just think it's crazy. 

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest BubbaCrawfish

Get tribe-mates to imprint it for you on the opposite timezone then you'd have a 12 hour shift taken care of...

It's your choice to breed them, no-one is forcing you.

Tribe mates can't imprint for you. Unless you give them your account info so they can log in on your survivor, which is a terrible idea.

Set aside the thoughts of just handing them access to everything you own in game, they're in your tribe they have most of that... They also have access to everything on your steam profile. Including your steam wallet if you happen to have money in it.

You don't have an idea how the human body works and how much sleep we actually need. So please do not bring this argument up. Besides that, Imprinting is 100% optional. It's not "pro" or "skill" if you set your alarm every 4 hours. The human body can live with small periods of sleep for long times.

You can be "healthy" if you sleep for 2-3 hours periods. Heck, you can even live healthy by sleeping for 30 minutes every 2-3 hours like ocean fishermen do.

@Jamagh Would you be so nice and name a game which isn't rewarding people for playing it a longer time than others?

1 hour ago, Jballs2213 said:

You can't be healthy sleeping 30 minutes every two to the three hours. I worked in the oilfield and am a veteran of Iraq, A self proclaimed expert in functioning on less sleep then most it's mentally and physically unhealthy.

If I can find it, I will post source for this. It is actually a technique used by arctic ocean fishermen when they have to work 12-18 hour shifts on sea.

Of course proper sleep is always better. But you will not get any damage to your health if you do, let's say, a week of imprinting sessions and sleep less by having power naps between imprints. That's what the point of the thread was. And it's just wrong what OP wrote.

I work 12 hour shifts regularly and deadliest catch on nat geo doesn't count as scientific evidence. There is a reason sleep deprivation has been used as a method of torture throuought the ages. Nothing the OP said was wrong, only a select corner of the ark community have the ability to set alarms and not sleep to get 100% imprint

Guest BubbaCrawfish

If they're setting alarms, then they are getting sleep... It's only a 10 minute requirement to be up, and you can go back to sleep after.

It's not that hard, and it is your choice. No-one is forcing your hand.

38 minutes ago, Jballs2213 said:

I work 12 hour shifts regularly and deadliest catch on nat geo doesn't count as scientific evidence. There is a reason sleep deprivation has been used as a method of torture throuought the ages. Nothing the OP said was wrong, only a select corner of the ark community have the ability to set alarms and not sleep to get 100% imprint

You are comparing torture methods where people are forced to stay awake for days to setting your alarm twice in a night? Like, seriously? I just raised a Wyvern in the last 1-2 days. I set alarms and got a 100% Imprint. I did not die from waking up twice after 4 hours of sleep.

36 minutes ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

If they're setting alarms, then they are getting sleep... It's only a 10 minute requirement to be up, and you can go back to sleep after.

It's not that hard, and it is your choice. No-one is forcing your hand.

Still a bad mechanic that basically force you to wake up in the middle of the night or keep you at home.

Imprinting should be tribe wide or atleast have a different possible pattern.

1 minute ago, Jostabeere said:

You are comparing torture methods where people are forced to stay awake for days to setting your alarm twice in a night? Like, seriously? I just raised a Wyvern in the last 1-2 days. I set alarms and got a 100% Imprint. I did not die from waking up twice after 4 hours of sleep.

Yes cause imprinting wyverns during valentine is a joke, try imprinting a giga or a quetz and then tell me how easy it's that.

3 minutes ago, Nvn88 said:

Yes cause imprinting wyverns during valentine is a joke, try imprinting a giga or a quetz and then tell me how easy it's that.

So it's like... Waking up twice at night for a week? How horrible. By your logic having children is unhealthy aswell. Why don't all parents have serious health damage after waking up multiple times at night and caring for a baby every 3-4 hours for what? Months? A year?

Just now, Jostabeere said:

So it's like... Waking up twice at night for a week? How horrible. By your logic having children is unhealthy aswell. Why don't all parents have serious health damage after waking up multiple times at night and caring for a baby every 3-4 hours for what? Months? A year?

Are you really comparing a game with raising childrens? lol

6 minutes ago, Nvn88 said:

They are both dumb comparisons. I should not be expected to wake up in the middle of the night to play a game as I should be forced to be ingame every 3-4 hours. That's a bad design decision that belongs to trash browse games.

You are not forced to wake up. Because imprinting is optional.

And people here also fail to see that you can even skip imprints on every dino and still get a 100%. So you can sleep at night and still get a 100% imprinted Giga. As far as my math goes, you can skip about 2 imprints a day on a Giga. Enjoy your nap.

12 minutes ago, Jostabeere said:

You are not forced to wake up. Because imprinting is optional.

And people here also fail to see that you can even skip imprints on every dino and still get a 100%. So you can sleep at night and still get a 100% imprinted Giga. As far as my math goes, you can skip about 2 imprints a day on a Giga. Enjoy your nap.

Everything is optional, you can play the game in a thatch hut if you want, that doesn't mean you should.

You can skip imprints but not that many and if you skip in the night you can't leave your house for the rest of the day.

3 minutes ago, Nvn88 said:

This is a no sense comparison.

No, it's a perfectly logical one. If you aren't prepared to hatch/raise a baby, or prepared for the imprinting process, don't do it until you are

Imprinting is totally optional. No one makes you do it. There is no major repercussion for not doing it. 

Some people, like me, get by fine on three/four hours of sleep, especially if I don't have to do it multiple nights in a row. Heck, I used to work jobs where I went to bed at twelve/one and woke up to go work with thoroughbreds in a high paced, high stress environment after four/five hours of sleep max. I did this for most of my life. I'm fine.  

Waking up twice a night for ten minutes to imprint a dino is not comparable to sleep-deprivation torture, ffs. 

Everyone has a different amount of sleep that they need. If you are someone who needs a solid, unbroken six hours +, then don't start your imprint when you know you'll have to go to bed soon. And if it's a multi-day imprint, then don't do it if you think it will negatively impact you. Simple. 

8 hours ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

Get tribe-mates to imprint it for you on the opposite timezone then you'd have a 12 hour shift taken care of...

It's your choice to breed them, no-one is forcing you.

The only way a tribe mate can do the imprinting is if you give them your steam ID. So instead of being unhealthy it is insecure. So you trade the security of your account for a few hours sleep. Doesn't seem like a game should force you to make those kind of decisions.

The valentine rate feels about right to me. We are raising 4 wyverns, we lost an hour of two of sleep to do it. Now to be honest, I did have access to my girlfriends account, since we are in the same house. Otherwise, wouldn't have been as easy.

Archived