I can't get a single mutation

MayonnaisePlease

Been breeding vultures haha. I believe inbreeding is the way to go?  So I mated the first pair. They had kids, I mated the two kids. Mated them, so on and so forth.

I'm at the great grandparent stage lol im mating the two as we speak. Am I doing something wrong or should I continue doing what im doing? Not sure if theres a more effective way

I first tried it with Allosauri, and it took me quite a while... M1 and F1 gave birth to M2, who I bred with F1 to get M3, who I bred again with F1 to get F2, who I bred with M3 to get F3, who I bred with M3 to get M4, who I bred with F1, F2, and F3. Of those, only the M4/F2 baby gave me a mutation.

Then, I tried with Dodos (just for funsies), and I got a mutation on my first inbreed and on probably half the offspring thereafter. It's just random chance, and it sounds like you're just getting unlucky :/ keep at it though! Nothing's more fun than a bright pink Allo, or maybe you'll get a golden Vulture

It took me several generations into breeding my pteras, but once I got in a bit, I began to get a ton of mutations. To date, after under 12 gens of pteras, I have gotten 6 color mutations, 5 primary, 1 secondary, and 4/6 stat mutations. 

Just keep breeding. You'll hit a point where the mutations actually end up being a headache. 

Definitely luck, and it can be frustrating at times. Mutations will pop up in both clean and inbred lines. I have had no trouble getting multiple colour and stat mutations in my ankylo, but have yet to get a vibrant colour mutation in my morellatops and I've hatched more of their eggs than I have ankylo. lol

Like others said, don't give up on it! You'll eventually get a mutation and it will make all the hassle worth it.  Then you'll be addicted and want to keep trying for more and more! :D 

15 hours ago, MayonnaisePlease said:

Been breeding vultures haha. I believe inbreeding is the way to go?  So I mated the first pair. They had kids, I mated the two kids. Mated them, so on and so forth.

I'm at the great grandparent stage lol im mating the two as we speak. Am I doing something wrong or should I continue doing what im doing? Not sure if theres a more effective way

Have you tried giving the parents alcohol, or allowing them to smoke cigarettes while mating?  

My first set of ptera babies(new server) same parents 2 different eggs

1st hatched as a 218 male, same colors as father 

2nd hatched as a 224 female with color mutation, Alpha red, it'll be matured within the next two hours, can't wait :D

Gonna do the same with 2 trikes this weekend I think and see what comes out 

16 hours ago, MayonnaisePlease said:

(RANDOM) mutation.... there's a chance you could never get one. 

Yes it is completely random.  My anky randomly got green horns, my raptors were darker red and had a mutated solid blue body baby, and my green Allosorus had a bright red baby.  So the colors are random if they happen at all.  Only my red Allo baby also got a stat mutation.  It shows to only be 1/20 in mutations but the color and melee stat are different than its parents so a single mutation might change multiple things.

On 1/9/2017 at 9:42 AM, NebraskARK said:

Have you tried giving the parents alcohol, or allowing them to smoke cigarettes while mating?  

I laughed out loud at this. 

Side note, I don't think mutations have anything to do with inbreeding.. it's all random. 

I would find it really weird that you could get benefits (good mutations) out of making a son and daughter have babies with eachother.. except for horrible mutations that you wouldn't want lol. Fortunately negative mutations aren't in the game yet. 

Mate your pteras with new ones outside of the current line, maybe you'll have a better chance of getting the mutation.

1 hour ago, BaMxBooZeLLed said:

Isnt it quoted somewhere from WC that there is specific inbreeding which can cause generic mutations? Thought I remember reading it.

I believe you are correct but they are not implemented yet.  I recall reading that the intent is to encourage you not to inbreed by enacting mutations that are negative for doing so.  

35 minutes ago, Savage220 said:

I believe you are correct but they are not implemented yet.  I recall reading that the intent is to encourage you not to inbreed by enacting mutations that are negative for doing so.  

Oh yeah Jen or Jat, one of the J's I'm pretty sure, said on their twitter that negatives were not in place yet so inbreeding did not cause penalties and it was assumed by the majority that inbreeding now would not carry over to detriment lines after it does get added to the breeding mechanics.

I was hoping the quote was on how to get more mutations, or if specific inbred or linebred pairings had a higher chance to provide mutations. So far I've paired up most possibilities.. parent/child, siblings, half-siblings, grandparent/grandchild, etc.  Haven't really paid much mind if any one pairing had a higher showing of mutations or not. Now I'm curious. lol

11 hours ago, Codypjones said:

I hatched one Ptera with a colour mutation but no luck on doing it again, breeding the same Dino that has the mutation will not pass the colour on, at least not in my experience. 

Actually I believe you are mistaken.  I was able to hatch a Blue Raptor and subsequently bred him over and over and got 15+ blue babies.  It is not a guarantee but they def do pass it on.  My red Allo also passes on his red color to his babies but the base color changes quite often on his offspring. Here is the original Raptor with the mutation and a small group of his offspring.

blue.png

blue%20army.png

1 hour ago, Savage220 said:

Actually I believe you are mistaken.  I was able to hatch a Blue Raptor and subsequently bred him over and over and got 15+ blue babies.  It is not a guarantee but they def do pass it on.  My red Allo also passes on his red color to his babies but the base color changes quite often on his offspring. Here is the original Raptor with the mutation and a small group of his offspring.

blue.png

blue%20army.png

Really hoping this is true. Bread my first Argent baby recently and it came out blood red/black. Would love to carry that on to others 

36 minutes ago, CeaselessFish said:

Really hoping this is true. Bread my first Argent baby recently and it came out blood red/black. Would love to carry that on to others 

I can assure you it is but I would recommend you breed it multiple times.  Once I got a blue female and male and bred them it was 100% certain I would get blue babies but I would say only about 60-70% of the ones from just one blue parent carried the mutation.  Good luck!  I plan on breeding Argies next once I find enough worthy of breeding.

26 minutes ago, Savage220 said:

I can assure you it is but I would recommend you breed it multiple times.  Once I got a blue female and male and bred them it was 100% certain I would get blue babies but I would say only about 60-70% of the ones from just one blue parent carried the mutation.  Good luck!  I plan on breeding Argies next once I find enough worthy of breeding.

this is the red argent i got. only have one though so yeah i'll expect some hatchlings not to come out as this one. those statistics are helpful. I have 3 eggs so if i'm lucky i might get one. if i happened to get a red female; do you know of any negative effects that might come through inbreeding? or has that not been implemented yet? Edit. Just ha a read of the thread and I it's already been answered  sorry :P

download1.jpg

Just now, CeaselessFish said:

this is the red argent i got. only have one though so yeah i'll expect some hatchlings not to come out as this one. those statistics are helpful. I have 3 eggs so if i'm lucky i might get one. if i happened to get a red female; do you know of any negative effects that might come through inbreeding? or has that not been implemented yet?

download1.jpg

Although I cant say for sure I know none of my inbred dinos have had any negative effects.  So as of now I think its not implemented.  I hope you do get a female so you can breed them to carry on the color because that Argy is the best ive ever seen!

Archived