How do you safely get rid of unclaimed dinos?

BobInSeattle

Playing on a private rented server, my wife and I are the admins.

From the radial menu, if I choose to unclaim a dino, the dino sits there immobile with a red name over its head and an option to reclaim it. What I *expected* was that this would treat the dino as wild, reverting to its wild state. It doesn't appear to work that way. I have all these unclaimed dinos on my base and didn't know how to get rid of them until I read aboutj the DestroyTribeDinos command. Apparently, if you are looking at an unclaimed dino when you issue this command, it will wipe out all unclaimed dinos. I have used this a couple of times now but the last time I did it, it wiped out all of my tamed dinos! I had to restore from backup and lost some time. Scary.

Is there a safer way to get rid of unclaimed dinos? How do you folks deal with this issue?

Thanks,

EDIT: I tried every suggestion in this thread and none worked. The unclaimed dino just sits there, never moves, never dies. Any other ideas? Thanks

EDIT UPDATE: Finally got my solution. CervantesMor's post is the one that worked for me. Reclaimed the dino, killed him while in tribe. Thanks all

4 hours ago, BobInSeattle said:

From the radial menu, if I choose to unclaim a dino, the dino sits there immobile with a red name over its head and an option to reclaim it. What I *expected* was that this would treat the dino as wild, reverting to its wild state. It doesn't appear to work that way. I have all these unclaimed dinos on my base and didn't know how to get rid of them until I read aboutj the DestroyTribeDinos command. Apparently, if you are looking at an unclaimed dino when you issue this command, it will wipe out all unclaimed dinos. I have used this a couple of times now but the last time I did it, it wiped out all of my tamed dinos! I had to restore from backup and lost some time. Scary.

Is there a safer way to get rid of unclaimed dinos? How do you folks deal with this issue?

Thanks,

I turn on PvP settings, whistle passive, unclaim them, and then kill them for a massive EXP boost to my keeper dino's. Sadly there is no real method to actually let them go back to the wild. You can tell them to wander on aggressive then unclaim them, but it bogs down the system if you was to do that with a couple hundred dino's, so its up to you,

10 hours ago, wizard03 said:

I turn on PvP settings, whistle passive, unclaim them, and then kill them for a massive EXP boost to my keeper dino's. Sadly there is no real method to actually let them go back to the wild. You can tell them to wander on aggressive then unclaim them, but it bogs down the system if you was to do that with a couple hundred dino's, so its up to you,

I tried that and I am able to hit him, but he just stands there appearing to take damage but never dying? I turned all friendly fire scenarios on, even changed the command line to show damage text. When I hit a wild dino, damage numbers pop up, but when I this whistled-passive, unclaimed dude, he just sits there spattering blood but no damage numbers float up and he never dies.

38 minutes ago, BobInSeattle said:

I tried that and I am able to hit him, but he just stands there appearing to take damage but never dying? I turned all friendly fire scenarios on, even changed the command line to show damage text. When I hit a wild dino, damage numbers pop up, but when I this whistled-passive, unclaimed dude, he just sits there spattering blood but no damage numbers float up and he never dies.

Claim the dino and kill him meanwhile that is in tribe 

15 minutes ago, CervantesMor said:

Claim the dino and kill him meanwhile that is in tribe 

Thank you for the response but I tried that too, same thing. No damage numbers pop up, he never dies. Am I just bugged or is there no way to get rid of unclaimed dinos?

EDIT: Correction, your suggestion actually did work the 2nd time I tried it. Thanks!

15 hours ago, BobInSeattle said:

PVP or PVE settings?

PVP - you can for sure slaughter them w a breath weapon - if unclaimed
PVE - I ain't so familiar with, but claimed dinos should be vulnerable to a (for eg) a lightning wyvern. There is (perhaps) a different setting somewhere (it escapes me now) that speaks to "friendly fire". Yes this don't make sense in Ark PVE - but its ark ..........

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, DirkInSA said:

PVP or PVE settings?

PVP - you can for sure slaughter them w a breath weapon - if unclaimed
PVE - I ain't so familiar with, but claimed dinos should be vulnerable to a (for eg) a lightning wyvern. There is (perhaps) a different setting somewhere (it escapes me now) that speaks to "friendly fire". Yes this don't make sense in Ark PVE - but its ark ..........

The wyvern breath weapons (not crystal) still work great on PVE for toasting your own stuff. 

1 hour ago, BobInSeattle said:

Sorry - did not read you whole post - I am stumpted - what you have done should have worked!

42 minutes ago, DirkInSA said:

There is (perhaps) a different setting somewhere (it escapes me now) that speaks to "friendly fire". Yes this don't make sense in Ark PVE - but its ark ..........

3 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Interesting, never tried that after unclaiming them. 

There is a setting .... somewhere ....

1 hour ago, BobInSeattle said:

Grazie per la risposta, ma ho provato anche quello, stessa cosa. Non vengono visualizzati numeri di danno, non muore mai. Sono solo infastidito o non c'è modo di sbarazzarsi dei dinosauri non reclamati?

EDIT: Correzione, il tuo suggerimento in realtà ha funzionato la seconda volta che l'ho provato. Grazie!

13 hours ago, BobInSeattle said:

Thank you for the response but I tried that too, same thing. No damage numbers pop up, he never dies. Am I just bugged or is there no way to get rid of unclaimed dinos?

EDIT: Correction, your suggestion actually did work the 2nd time I tried it. Thanks!

given that they don't necessarily have to be killed, you can also just free them and leave them there until they disappear or die of hunger (better if first set on a walk), even if they don't disappear immediately to you, nothing changes from the moment you freed them. they will no longer take up space in your Tribe. But if you really want them to disappear quickly:

-Cowgirl gave a simple but effective advice: take them to an obelisk or a lighthouse that descends from the sky, load them into data/dino Ark and they will disappear by themselves after 24 hours (you can only load 20 at a time, so every 24 hours).

--if I read correctly in another post, you are playing online/multiplayer so you could give them to someone, or free them and write in the chat the coordinates of where they can be found (repeat the message in chat after a while)

--usually even in PVE they can be killed with firearms (example, shotgun) and the flamethrower is also effective.

--(if I'm not mistaken you're at the beginning of the game so maybe this isn't for you, but for info) Wyverne, Basilisk, Magmasaur also cause damage to allies (even in PVE) with their special attack, it's the fastest and Without costs.

----if you are on TheIsland you can take them to the Volcano and put them in the lava. Or if that's closer to you, there's a cave with an easy entry corridor where you find a ledge on the lava, before you get to the clearing where the animals in that cave start.

----if you have an animal that doesn't need oxygen to stay underwater (there are many apparently terrestrial animals that don't die if left in water, Carbonemis, Bever, Sarcosuco, Caprosuco, etc.) put a saddle on it then ride him and whistle "follow all", take him underwater and leave them there until you see the red writings.

----take them into the sea, Sharks are very greedy...

----also in the Swamp we have a greedy named Piranha (it doesn't attack only Sarcosuchos)

------you can jump on them from very high ledges, standing on top of them you will both die (you won't die if you dismount before hitting the ground but the dino wouldn't die either as it only takes fall damage when mounted)

----have everyone follow you passively and find a Rex or a Spino or a Therezino who will be grateful to you, even faster the area with snow which is full of aggressive predators.

in reality there are also others that many probably know because suffered firsthand but let's avoid :D

On 1/31/2023 at 12:09 PM, BobInSeattle said:

Thanks,

EDIT: I tried every suggestion in this thread and none worked. The unclaimed dino just sits there, never moves, never dies. Any other ideas? Thanks

EDIT UPDATE: Finally got my solution. CervantesMor's post is the one that worked for me. Reclaimed the dino, killed him while in tribe. Thanks all

teaser acodyssey GIF by Assassin's CreedThis is SPARTAN

Archived