Obsidian and poly issues on the Island

Griffin998

Hello ARK community!

I just wanted to know your thoughts on obsidian (The Island)-where to get it, how to get it, etc. I need lots and lots of poly for the Indy forge and stuff, and I likely can't gather enough polymer before it spoils (I only have preserving bins on the raft for now, no refrigerators and also no bases near my regular poly spot-Kairuku Island). I do have a fabricator on the raft though. Any thoughts on this would be helpful-tips, tricks, and anything besides.

Thanks and Happy ARKing!

If you stuck on the island then u use a mixed bag of tools to get there.  

1) tops of mountains 

2) dunks can harvest lots of obsidian from bottom of ocean areas, probably more obsidian down there than above ground.

3) the grinder is your best friend.  Save all the crap loot from drops and grind it up when you are about to make stuff.

4) penguins,   You can park a base near them, or you can tame some or just kill them as you find them.   If you tamed them, you could just breed yourself a  few hundred to pod and kill as needed later on. 

1 hour ago, Griffin998 said:

Cool, thanks for all the help! I want to get a dunkly anyway at some point, but baryonyx first. They can't be bolad though...I'll figure it out. Again, thanks!

I'd like to suggest learning how to get good at building taming traps.

Even the basic square/rectangular design of a trap works fantastically for many species, it's just a matter of deciding how big to build it (2x2, 2x3, 3x4, 1 wall high, 2 walls high, etc.) depending on which species you want that trap to be used for.

Carnivores are all extremely easy to lure into a trap, you simply carry a delicious prey animal in the claws of your flying mount and they will happily chase you right into the trap. Occasionally you have to wait a minute while they attack and kill other animals in the area, but all you have to do is hover patiently until your cargo is the only live prey animal nearby and then easily finish the job.

There are, of course, a wide variety of interesting and clever trap designs to be found on youtube, and some species (like the karkinos & dinopithecus, as two examples) basically require a specialized trap design because they have unusual behaviors. But for the majority of species in ARK a simple design based on foundations (or pillars), walls, doorways & ramps will make your life so much easier.

There are even videos on how to build taming traps onto a raft so you can travel wherever the animals are that you want. I like to build a raft that has 2 pens each 3x3 with 3high walls. You pull up to the shoreline, use your pteranodon or argy to lure them into the trap, then pull a short distance out into the water where you can tame them without any interference.

12 hours ago, Griffin998 said:

Hello ARK community!

I just wanted to know your thoughts on obsidian (The Island)-where to get it, how to get it, etc. I need lots and lots of poly for the Indy forge and stuff, and I likely can't gather enough polymer before it spoils (I only have preserving bins on the raft for now, no refrigerators and also no bases near my regular poly spot-Kairuku Island). I do have a fabricator on the raft though. Any thoughts on this would be helpful-tips, tricks, and anything besides.

Thanks and Happy ARKing!

when it comes to the poly, I often go murder penguins with my argentavis. I will average anywhere between 400-600 org poly, depending on how hard I milk the run....hit the penguins, snag some drops, check for high level yuty's, tame a mammoth, then hit the penguins on the way back home again.

But when it comes to hard poly, you got two way over the top places to harvest obsidian. First one is the volcano.....on the inside and the outside, especially the west side has lots of huge easy to spot chunks. The second location is the mountain at 33, 58. This is also referred to as giga mountain, as gigas can and will spawn here. So be careful. Also, there is a LOT of heavy valuable resources here. Crystal, obsidian, metal. You will probably want to bring a entire flock of argentavis for their weight reduction. Just bringing one is kind of a waste of time. Also a high level anky will save time and gather more resources than a pick. Especially with much higher melee.

If those options are not on the table, you can check all the mountain ranges, caves, and practically anywhere in the snow zone. You will see small black rocks scattered everywhere and they are usually obsidian. 

On 6/24/2022 at 8:27 PM, Griffin998 said:

...What a coincidence...I was just reading a "tips for taming baryonyx" post, and I check notifications and this...Wow. Thanks! I'll probably still focus on Fjordur until I get up to a good point, maybe mid-game-ish. Then I'll probably go back at The Island with a vengeance...Thanks for the tips again!

On Fjodur, go to the swamp island and harvest rotten corpses for organic poly.
Cooking the surplus poly with oil to soap. This saves storrage and returns 1/2 of the oil and 1/3 of the poly when grinded.

Archived