What to do with a surplus of cryopod'd dino's?

SteinMon1920518

So I have a surplus of dinos in my cryofridge. Namely, Deinonychus, Rex's, and Wyvern's from a couple of my breeding binges; and I've been looking for something to use them on. Boss battles aren't a viable method given I'm working Single Player and doing my best to legit farm Artifacts (and I already have my Boss Fodder Dinos for that), which is an endeavor in and of itself.

Any ideas how to thin the herd without just dropping and deleting them? If I'm gonna get rid of them, I want their sacrifice to further my cause in some way.

On 1/4/2022 at 10:36 AM, DirkInSA said:

Throw them out, un-claim them, use something to kill them = (a lot of) experience

This is the best way to level yourself too, preferably on the new born trash you dont want to keep.  Great advice.

1 hour ago, Pipinghot said:

Put them outside your base on "Wander, Aggressive" and watch the fun. That's usually what I do with excess dino's.

This sounds entertaining lol.

46 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

Put them outside your base on "Wander, Aggressive" and watch the fun. That's usually what I do with excess dino's.

This. Definitely the most entertaining.

Some additional tips:

- Your nearby dinos with ally looking turned on might see your aggressive dinos and try to join in the fight. Make sure everything you still care about is either indoors and can't escape, too far to see the aggressive dinos, encumbered, or set to passive + ally looking disabled (99% sure only passive should make them not fight but I haven't tested it). I've had a few times where my little army walks too close to my base and all of my Wyverns and Argies get up to go join them haha.

- You can have them hunt as a pack. One dino should be the leader (wander + aggressive) and the other dinos in the pack should be set to follow the leader + attack your target / neutral. If they are all set to aggressive they might pick different targets and start separating, even if they are all set to follow one dino.

- You can drop these aggressive dinos in areas you want safer and using a dino leash they can only roam a certain area. A lot worse than actually building defenses in the area but still pretty entertaining.

- If you do end up using a dino leash I would also recommend adding in a creature so that wild raptors and such are lured in to attack them. You should also consider taming up a Doedicurus, Castoroides, or Gigantopithecus to throw into any dino leash area since these guys will collect stone, wood/thatch, and fiber while set to wander. A full list of creatures that gather on wander is here: https://ark.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Creatures_that_gather_autonomously. This isn't as fast as going on a farming run (especially since they only collect until around half of their weight).

Archived