Dire bear. What are they used for?

BubbaTheGreat

On 4/25/2016 at 2:33 AM, Danouk said:

I do use my ape for fibre. Put him on wander and he gathers over 13k of fibre without me watching him. But in a pinch where I need fibre the bear will be great.

FYI park the ape on top of a plant spawn in your base he will pick it everytime it respawns...no need to even put em on wander.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Irk said:
  • Its secondary attack has more base damage than a rex.
  • It can harvest all kinds of things while still in full sprint.
  • It has decent stats all around (base stats beat rex's in all categories except health, walking speed and torpor)
  • Its a load bearing animal.
  • It has amazing speed capabilities if you need to gtfo of a situation.
  • It can go toe-to-toe with damn near anything else except a Giga.

To compare it with an ape and say that it's only good for gathering fiber is like saying a giga is only good for taking up space in your dino pen.

My fiancee and I fell in love with the bears when they were first released. We're waiting on P+ to come out on XB1 so we can start breeding them on an official server. We've bred plenty on our dedicated, and they're literally our go-to animal for anything that requires a land based animal.

Don't forget that it offers a little insulation from the cold as well, making it a valuable mount in the snow and tundra

16 hours ago, Mystalias said:
1 hour ago, Irk said:

I didn't even know it had that ability. That just makes it a bit more awesome. Thanks for the info!

yeah they add 50 hypo, noone believed me when I told em on my official.

Bear has to be the best land mount. I've bred a ton of them.  My tribe has over 3 bears (no joke) one of my friend LOVES breeding them..

I've Imprinted a beastly born 230 to 100%, 400%+ melee base and over 4k hp base. Their only downside is not having knock back and having to be close fpr the swipe attack to work.

Which is why they have a hard time with alpha rexs.. I took my Imprinted one to a lvl 100 alpha rex and got annihilated. Almost killed it, but the knock back it killer. Also, it's VERY hard to run from an alpha rex on em, you'll get hit right as you gain momentum and it'll rubber band you back into place.

If you're thinking of killing a 75+ alpha rex with ur bear, be careful.

Dire Bears are probably my favorite addition to the game as far as dinos go. These beasts collect berries, meat, hide, fiber. I'd recommend getting one for the tribe as soon as it is possible. I.m.o though, they arent as tanky as some other options like the Rex or Spino, but for their weight class they are definitely the best.

• 7 months later...

I love them ! I am playing PVE since few weeks and got  lucky,- someone gifted me a lv 200 dire bear.

Rly decent damage, super good weight and enough Stamina and Speed to travel Long distances. Only meat eater that farm berries(i know of) so u can force feed him up when farming berries, or heal him when going to hunt prime. I fall in love with them and started breeding, rly good Allrounder.

A Direbear while great at gathering fibre, It also gathers berries, meat, chitin/keratin and hide. As an all rounder, its great.

A high level bear can take on anything other than gigas with ease, it's mega fast at full sprint so travelling isn't an issue. I seriously don't see why it doesn't get as much love as other dino's. 

I often take my pooh bear out instead of my rexes.

I've got two kibble tamed 150's on the centre (Danni Bear and Grills) that are both up at 266 now. Their health is over 4k, weight around 1k and damage around 550%.

We used them to gather for feeding troughs as they are great for berries and meat. The fibre is a nice by-product. We then use them for any cave they fit in. When you're swamped by yetis, wolves and spiders, their secondary attack simply minces the lot of them.

The center where i live,the dire bear is orders of magnitude better than things like rexes.It's the only thing i use for day to day things like meat runs,especially up in the snow hunting mammoths.Fiber comes quick and fast,as does berries.I have a beastly imprinted rex that sits in my pen gathering dust next to the direbear which isn't an imprint.5k health and 500% melee(with 1.1k weight it started at) i levelled to is good enough for nearly everything.

On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 3:26 AM, Jerryn said:

With the utility of the mammals now, I am thinking that a server where you can only tame mammals, sea creatures(some), and some small and/or peaceful dinos/reptiles(not brontos, possibly stego or trike), could be interesting, possibly challengeing with the right settings, to play on.  

Gigas would be banned, but Rexes might be buffed a bit, and their spawns turned down a bit.  Still debating on birds, but I am thinking no Qs and no Pteras.

However, for this to be fun, and not annoying, the aggro for wilds would need to be adjusted.  When in the ocean, everytime you turn around, there is not a Mosa and 2 Plesios coming at you, with a bunch of Anglers swarming in.   On land, every carnoivore and insect does not instantly zero in on you the second you are in range; they should be hungry and you should be the best choice for food(a rex is not going to give up a juicy phiomia to get a few strips of stringy meat from your carcass).  

Make sneaking about a real component, and not just wishful thinking; yeah, there is Ghillie, but you have a few levels and a cold trip to get to it.  Make the bug repellent into a real scent mask, to use when out exploring; but not 100% effective.

For something like the bronto, I would actually buff it, but also make it a major resource; something where you get more meat, hide, and other mats(add some new and useful ones, like bone, marrow, fat, large hide, etc.), than you and your mounts can carry; you might have to leave it behind and hope it is still there for a second or third trip. 

Taming would be more about not losing levels, not magically gaining almost 50% more, but post tame leveling would be better than the the current nefg, but not quite as good as wild levels.

Sorry, go off on a tangent there. 

But, I see the dire bear, in a good rebalance, being a good mid-level animal.

Sounds like it would be an awesome server !!

35 minutes ago, Harrist14 said:

Therizino has over twice as much base health, 7 more base damage than the bear's secondary attack, but takes longer to tame and is harder to get kibble for. Saddle for bear at 35, therizino 60

But the bear has waaaay more weight. I use both :)! Got bears with 4k weight, a nice bred imprinted (ours pop put 250+) Theriz collects meat better than a giga!

13k fiber in a ape? I went on a fiber run last night on theriz, making saddles for bosses... got 35k fiber from ONE GO (one continuous gather, went for a c-c-combo breaker :P) when i got back to base had over 75k fiber.

In short; Theriz rock :)

Yeah, my therizino gets over twice as much meat per dino as my 290 melee giga, and probably twice as much wood as my beaver. Bears are great for fiber, but therizinos are even better. I have two therizinos that I use, both hatched with 402 melee, one all leveled in power, one all in melee, and they're absurd now

Archived