Melee is the biggest waste of a stat!

IDNeon

After doing the snow cave last night with 5 other people, I have to completely disagree with most ppl on this. Melee IS important. If I hadn't put points to my melee, I wouldn't have survived the bat swarms. And yes, we had shotguns, Mastercraft shottys, as well as Journey snipers. Everyone else had a master sword and I was rocking ascendant sword. I beat those bats with that sword and saved precious ammo.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, FLiPDADDY69 said:

After doing the snow cave last night with 5 other people, I have to completely disagree with most ppl on this. Melee IS important. If I hadn't put points to my melee, I wouldn't have survived the bat swarms. And yes, we had shotguns, Mastercraft shottys, as well as Journey snipers. Everyone else had a master sword and I was rocking ascendant sword. I beat those bats with that sword and saved precious ammo.

Bat swarms are fixed with shot-gun.  Ammo is not precious, your armor is...and bats DESTROY armor.

If you want the perfect character build for primitive pvp go

health: 150

stamina: 150

weight: 200

melee damage: 200

movement speed: 176

fortitude: 2

These points will take you to level 80 after that choose w/e you want to level I've been going for a bit more health. This is for primitive, you need to strafe people with crossbows and hit them with clubs you do more torpor with the extra melee damage it's more effective than piking someone with armor on

10 minutes ago, IDNeon said:

Bat swarms are fixed with shot-gun.  Ammo is not precious, your armor is...and bats DESTROY armor.

And yet I disagree once again. I'd much rather save the ammo for direwolves that get too close. Carrying all the weapons and ammo and food and fria curry/shadow steak, you only have so much ammo you can take in. Armor is easy to repair. Farming for countless hours to make hundreds of different types of rounds is not.

11 minutes ago, IDNeon said:

That's because you don't put points in melee, so the bats have a chance to attack you.  People with high melee and a pike don't have the armor issues you have.  I've been wearing the same flak armor since Friday, haven't repaired it once yet.   

• 10 months later...

Melee on a player is good in pvp for punching/clubbing other players.

I lived a rogue life on pvp and the alpha knew I was messing with some guy when he was calling for help in chat. Instead of coming to protect them, they tranq'd me to see my stats, explained to the guy why I had the stat advantages, then let me go free and watched me battle him for another half hour, lol.

3 hours ago, Sh4rk said:

Melee on a player is good in pvp for punching/clubbing other players.

I lived a rogue life on pvp and the alpha knew I was messing with some guy when he was calling for help in chat. Instead of coming to protect them, they tranq'd me to see my stats, explained to the guy why I had the stat advantages, then let me go free and watched me battle him for another half hour, lol.

Lol

On 16/03/2016 at 4:07 PM, IDNeon said:

Easy yes, not when you have to do it every 10 minutes.  Which, again you must not be playing official server or something.  Because that's exactly how often I'd have to repair my flak.

By the way, melee dmg is worthless in PvP.

Your talking out your ass. 300% on my lvl 98 official ps4 pvp char and it makes a huge difference in damage. Test it for yourself and see

On 3/16/2016 at 11:53 AM, IDNeon said:

Seriously never waste points in melee, it's too expensive to use at higher level and gives you no benefit through out the entire game.  And I compared my ~300% melee character to a 100% melee character and they harvest within +/- 1 or 2 resources.  So it doesn't even modify resource gathering that much.

If you like to waste your resources on repairing armors, go melee...

If you want to wreck things, get a bow/crossbow and forget the pike/sword.

I disagree. My usual Character build is as such;
Health: 250
Stamina: 150
Weight: 400
Melee Damage 450%
Fortitude: 24
^(Give or take some depending on level)

I personally think Melee Damage is a very important stat in PvP. Anyone who upgrades MDmg for resource harvesting hasn't done their research, it doesn't increase it by a significant amount, but the damage bonus on melee weapons is absolutely worth it.

Having ~400% melee damage compared to someone with 100% means you will knock them out with a club in one hit 100% of the time unless they're in Riot. It also means you'll win pike/sword fights with other players more often.

Having ~400% melee damage also means you can easily counter people who pick you with Pteranodons. Screw Bolas/Parachutes, if my main character gets picked and I've got an Asc. Sword on me, a ~4-5k health Ptera is dying in a handful of swings. (My current Asc. Sword with my 450% melee damage does 778 per swing on a Dummy.)

On 3/16/2016 at 11:53 AM, IDNeon said:

Seriously never waste points in melee, it's too expensive to use at higher level and gives you no benefit through out the entire game.  And I compared my ~300% melee character to a 100% melee character and they harvest within +/- 1 or 2 resources.  So it doesn't even modify resource gathering that much.

If you like to waste your resources on repairing armors, go melee...

If you want to wreck things, get a bow/crossbow and forget the pike/sword.

This is just moronic, get a high melee dmg and use a mastercraft sword/pike and especially club. Things go down quick, especially other players, so I don't know how you did your comparison but here is a hint. The main point of melee dmg isn't harvesting, if you make a topic to complain. At least know what you're talking about, walk up to someone in pvp with a mc or asc club with points in melee. 1-2 swings, knocked out. Just yesterday, I used a basic club with 250% melee dmg and knocked out a guy swinging a sword at me wearing flak. I was wearing cloth and my club was primitive.

what about crafting speed? since most of what you craft that is not made by you in later stage of the game. And with a focal you can boost your crafting speed to the next lv.

meele is a really good stats if you have to deal with medium animal. You dont wanna use ressource to kill stuff that you can kill with out much trouble. 

This tread is made by an ignorant or a troll.

We should switch the title of this tread to crafting speed is the most useless stats BECAUSE IT IS AND EVERYONE KNOW IT.

-TREAD-

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 2:43 AM, FireStormRising said:

Sorry, I have to disagree. 

I deliberately upped my melee to be higher than my tribemate. He likes to shoot me with tranq darts and such. I often run around in journeyman cloth armor while he uses Flak gear. 

I have found that when he hits me, if I take some stims to keep awake and run him, he can't shoot me again. However, I also found that if I start punching him, the tiny knock back effect keeps him off balance.  I got him trapped against a wall and managed to KNOCK HIM OUT, in spite of his Flak gear. 

I've knocked him out on several occasions, so he hunts me from a distance. Lol Granted, I don't think it's a seriously important stat, but it isn't useless. ;) 

This does sound somewhat like my and my tribe mate lol   his weapon of choice the club, mine I like the bola lets me get a good shot off with the new super power tranq darts. then I try and hide for a while

Anyone that says Melee is a bad stat is a noob. I run 400% melee on my char and during server fights I go in on foot inside the enemy base where dinos can't fit. I've fought 3, 4 sometimes 5 enemy players at a time by myself and defeated them because they had little or no melee and were using ranged weapons.

As well as that I can break all their crap in seconds such as storage boxes, smiths, fridges, generators so on.

On 3/16/2016 at 8:56 AM, IDNeon said:

You're right, you don't need melee, but we don't have dinosaurs either.  Welcome to Official Servers, where Alphas wipe out everyone.

But that's beside the point, I don't like to "mount", I like to be on foot, it's more challenging than a mount.

You should definitely try the no tame servers then. Your play style fits right in. Plus it's awesome 

Archived