Melee is the biggest waste of a stat!

IDNeon

Seriously never waste points in melee, it's too expensive to use at higher level and gives you no benefit through out the entire game.  And I compared my ~300% melee character to a 100% melee character and they harvest within +/- 1 or 2 resources.  So it doesn't even modify resource gathering that much.

If you like to waste your resources on repairing armors, go melee...

If you want to wreck things, get a bow/crossbow and forget the pike/sword.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, GamerPerfection said:

You don't need melee, we have dinosaurs.

You're right, you don't need melee, but we don't have dinosaurs either.  Welcome to Official Servers, where Alphas wipe out everyone.

But that's beside the point, I don't like to "mount", I like to be on foot, it's more challenging than a mount.

5 minutes ago, XcrazeddoctorX said:

for alpha raptors and carnos... melee is very important. This allows you to kill them, loot them, and find the next without wasting too much time. Plus repairing flak is super easy

Easy yes, not when you have to do it every 10 minutes.  Which, again you must not be playing official server or something.  Because that's exactly how often I'd have to repair my flak.

By the way, melee dmg is worthless in PvP.

Just now, Honest said:

Maybe it's just the Placebo effect, but i feel like i do much more Pike damage to dino's with a few levels pumped into melee damage.

Well you do, there's no doubt melee boosts your damage.  I can 1 hit a bunch of things with a sword.  Or a few swipes and I take down a mob of direwolves.

But they still hit you...they're still faster...they surround you.

There's a host of problems I find with Melee that to me after starting with melee, playing melee for months, I find it a waste of time.

41 minutes ago, GamerPerfection said:

You don't need melee, we have dinosaurs.

Sorry, I have to disagree. 

I deliberately upped my melee to be higher than my tribemate. He likes to shoot me with tranq darts and such. I often run around in journeyman cloth armor while he uses Flak gear. 

I have found that when he hits me, if I take some stims to keep awake and run him, he can't shoot me again. However, I also found that if I start punching him, the tiny knock back effect keeps him off balance.  I got him trapped against a wall and managed to KNOCK HIM OUT, in spite of his Flak gear. 

I've knocked him out on several occasions, so he hunts me from a distance. Lol Granted, I don't think it's a seriously important stat, but it isn't useless. ;) 

3 minutes ago, d1nk said:

I don't find it a waste.. nothing like smashing an alpha with your pike.. and flak armour doesn't take much to repair and lasts a good while.. Maybe every 2 alphas you repair and for 20? Ingots.. good deal.

You're talking about something very specific.  I'm talking about general play.  If you go around avoiding EVERYTHING except alphas, then you're going to get your money's worth on your flak.  Otherwise it's going to suck you dry.

Just now, IDNeon said:

You're talking about something very specific.  I'm talking about general play.  If you go around avoiding EVERYTHING except alphas, then you're going to get your money's worth on your flak.  Otherwise it's going to suck you dry.

I disagree. Flak is cheap to repair, and if you really are going through it that fast just bring an extra set. 100 ingots and what? 2.5 weight ?

1 minute ago, d1nk said:

I disagree. Flak is cheap to repair, and if you really are going through it that fast just bring an extra set. 100 ingots and what? 2.5 weight ?

Lol that's my point, going through that much flak is COSTLY.  We are talking ingots not weight.  If you can quetz-anky for metal maybe it's cheap, for those of us who have to live with hostile Alpha tribes, it's not that easy.

4 hours ago, IDNeon said:

Easy yes, not when you have to do it every 10 minutes.  Which, again you must not be playing official server or something.  Because that's exactly how often I'd have to repair my flak.

By the way, melee dmg is worthless in PvP.

I ONLY play official, but melee is an odd one when it comes to worthless/worth its time. But maybe if you got some armor better than primitive ( full journeyman flak here ) and I have to repair my armor ~8 hours if I have to fight a lot of alphas. other than that I go days without repairing, you must jut get hit alot lol 

My complaint is the melee combat itself is janky and unresponsive feeling. Also, the hit radius when you thrust a spear is huge. I can't count the number of times my own team has killed their own mounts trying to defend against an attacker that was right under them.

As far as the stat goes, it's not a waste. The only other alternative that puts out as much damage is a gun, and that is WAY more expensive to maintain.

You do gather resources substantially faster with it though. I was helping out a new player on the server I play on and it would take him 9-15 hits to destroy a rock and like 5-8 for a tree where as at 200% melee I do them in 4/2 respectively. Preference I guess? Plus with full flak I can kill pretty much anything at any given time. I have killed everything on land with a sword and shield in a straight 1v1 with no gimmicks except for 2 things (which everyone should know what 2 I am talking about lol)

I find flak armor/melee is a sweet combo... in official servers.  When I get bored, I go down into the caves on foot to level; nothing beats high melee and a sword/shield when you feel froggy and agro 6 bats.  And while yes I have to repair flak a lot (carry a 2nd set on my bird), I find its about the same cost as making gun ammo.  And high melee definitely helps when you and your tribe start a fight club arena for wooden club matches.

Essentially, it's all preference.  There is no "best" way, there is only the way that's "best" for US individually.  I bet most people here have looked at one of these responses, and said "What a waste of points, why would you do that" just like others can be saying the same about our preferences.  Let's be thankful we have all these options to choose from! 

Archived