Tips for Taming Spinos on The Island?

MayonnaisePlease

PvE btw.

Taming a bunch of argies for their eggs tomorrow, for the stock of kibble to use for spinosaur taming. I may need tips on good ways to KO spinos, if I have to spike wall around them as they're unconscious, etc ? Always loved them, but out of the 1k hours i've played i'd always trade ingots for them. Took a long break from the game and returned recently so.. Yeah. Any tips would be awesome! :)

Spinos are easier to lure than rexes, they have a full on aggression until they get distracted by a fish or other animal. i just use tranq arrows to KO them, but if ur doing it in the open and dont have much experience then maybe darts would be safer because they have lower health. I would use spike walls because u have to spend some time watching theyre torpor. the most time u have is 20 minutes.

If you have a tribemate just ask him to carry you in the flyers claws and safely shoot it from above. (Having a griffin would allow you to do it solo)

You can also have a tanky bear/thylo to just sit and tranq while they take the dmg or  agro spin-off on a friendly passive Rex and shoot spino from the side.

Hell, you can even build a taming pen with ramps and stuff to lure spino into.

Taming pens help a lot, especially for coastal spinos who might try to flee into the ocean. Otherwise try to lure the spino to a cliff or some other area where they can't reach you. Don't worry too much about the water--if it's not deep enough to swim, it's not deep enough to drown. I've tamed many a spino with their face completely underwater with no issues.

Bring a lot of narcs, they need a fair amount, much more than what you would need for a rex.

I have literally never killed a spino with tranq arrows so I wouldn't worry too much about those vs darts, however shocking darts do have that nice advantage of stacking so they don't get too far away when they start to run. Spinos are fast and will navigate almost all terrain so they can be tough to catch up to if they get a good lead on you. That said I almost always use arrows.

If you're having trouble getting them to spawn, kill the fish. They share spawns. I can normally get at least one to pop after 1-2 trips up and down the volcano river just by clearing out all the fish. High levels do take a lot of luck and patience though, and if you're on an official if the rivers aren't pillared, expect to have multiple spawns blocked by people who don't know/care.

You should always use spike walls around any important tame regardless of species if you're not using a secure taming pen/raft. Even if animals don't naturally aggro to it, you and the animal can still get caught in the crossfire of local predator/prey battles if you're not paying attention or busy giving narcs, etc. Plus there's always that one in a million chance of a troll/griefer running across you taming and deciding they want to ruin your day. 

Just don't use spike walls as long as they can attack them. They get hurt. I built a 3x3 taming pen 4 doorframes high with ramps and used tranq arrows. Or I just placed 3 dino gates, lured the spino in with something quicker that can fit through the gates to escape, and when it's in I placed a 4th gate behind it to trap it. Tranq it, place spike walls, done. Use Dododex or something to know how many arrows etc.

The best recommendation would be to use a taming pen if at all possible. Not sure on how friendly the tribes are on your server, but a lot of the servers i've been on have had a few public taming pens. Wouldn't hurt to try asking some other tribes if they would be willing to let you borrow one of their pens. As mentioned earlier, carry a lot of narcotics to keep it down, if possible wait as long as you can before force feeding the spino narc's to take advantage of the consuming time. If you are not sure on the amount of narcotics and kibble you should take with you, dododex is a great resource for general taming information. Hope this helps

You can build a taming pen on a raft and use walls and ceilings to build a ramp 4 high, then surround a space w/ dino gates.  Must be 4 walls high on the ramp or they can get back out.  Then you can move your taming pen up and down the river. park it on the side then lure it in after you clear the beach of all distractions for the spino.  You don't even need to put doors on the dino gates so u can run off through them w/ whatever u ride.  To get the spino out , all you need is a platform animal w/ a ramp that reaches down far enough,  or you just run the raft into a structure which can push the spino out.

Spinos are far more plentiful on aberration if you have trouble finding high lvl ones.

12 minutes ago, Neverender said:

I actually just watched a video on taming one for PvE

4 dino gates in a circle, with one left open, and a bear trap in the center. Once it is trapped run up and toss the last gate down. No need to use the actual doors, just the gate frame. 

Was actually one of the more creative ways I have seen it done.

Its the exact same method used to tame gigas lol

• 3 months later...

Archived