Wow this flyer nerf is beyond overkill.

ReturnToArk

7 minutes ago, Zederia said:

we all see this, right?:

That was the LAUNCH trailer for EA. We all KNEW dragons were coming

That doesn't change the fact that many people don't like them for many reasons. Not only that but that is the dragon boss not wyvern you know... Bosses aren't even a large part of the game right now since they are barely even fought even by the largest tribes due to the heavy investment / losses for such small reward. One day WC might start fixing their game...

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, lvirusl said:

That doesn't change the fact that many people don't like them for many reasons. Not only that but that is the dragon boss not wyvern you know... Bosses aren't even a large part of the game right now since they are barely even fought even by the largest tribes due to the heavy investment / losses for such small reward. One day WC might start fixing their game...

And you still haven't given a reason more than "well it's a dino game (which it isn't just that)". What are specific in game issues you have with them? 

1 minute ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

It's not a dino game,  it has dinos in it.. there is a difference..

"As a man or woman stranded naked, freezing & starving on a mysterious island, you must hunt, harvest, craft items, grow crops, & build shelters to survive. Use skill & cunning to kill, tame, breed, & ride Dinosaurs & primeval creatures living on ARK, and team up with hundreds of players or play locally! "

From the developer on the steam store, tagged as EA, dinosuars, open world, survival.

Sure it isn't...

1 minute ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

And you still haven't given a reason more than "well it's a dino game (which it isn't just that)". What are specific in game issues you have with them? 

Balance issues, released as part of a dlc that was released during EA, source of many bugs, only thing useful about SE, egg spawning issues in SP and MP, etc.. etc..

38 minutes ago, lvirusl said:

I don't like griffins either or ragnarok's release as a whole but that's another topic for a different thread. And sabertooths make a lot more sense since they were real and also alive around the same time.

You do know that very few of these creatures existed during the same time period. Alot of them weren't even close. I.e rex was Cretaceous and sabre is Pleistocene. Trike is also Cretaceous. Where the titanboa is Paleocene epoch. Unless your idea of time is different than mine there's alot of years and extinction cycles between alot of the.

5 minutes ago, lvirusl said:

"As a man or woman stranded naked, freezing & starving on a mysterious island, you must hunt, harvest, craft items, grow crops, & build shelters to survive. Use skill & cunning to kill, tame, breed, & ride Dinosaurs & primeval creatures living on ARK, and team up with hundreds of players or play locally! "

From the developer on the steam store, tagged as EA, dinosuars, open world, survival.

Sure it isn't...

Primeval creatures doesn't include wyvern?... wow,  just wow... balance issues?  Use plants and turrets, traps, chain bolas, they're squishy af.. only thing useful about se? Best and easiest to reach loot crates, silk/whips, golems,  vultures are handy,  etc etc.. any other falsehoods  you'd like to expound upon?

8 minutes ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

Primeval creatures doesn't include wyvern?... wow,  just wow... balance issues?  Use plants and turrets, traps, chain bolas, they're squishy af.. only thing useful about se? Best and easiest to reach loot crates, silk/whips, golems,  vultures are handy,  etc etc.. any other falsehoods  you'd like to expound upon?

Primeval = "of or relating to the earliest ages (as of the world or human)" nothing about wyvern in it

yes I agree that ww are weak to turrets but they still rule aired combat to such an extreme that no other flyer is used to fight in PvP besides box quetzs which are bannable now. whips are nice sure but since most large scale raids are now a lot less focused on pteras you don't really need it to whip the rider off so it leaves the whip as a dino pusher for convenience. Golems not really any better then any other choices you have out there. I have dozens of vulturs that only sit in my base and never get used. And loot crates really, this game has been out for long enough that your blueprint stash should already be completed with ascendant everything. And with the recent changes to loot tables and loot crates and loot boosting creatures getting good loot aint that hard where ever you decide go now.

16 minutes ago, Specter229 said:

You do know that very few of these creatures existed during the same time period. Alot of them weren't even close. I.e rex was Cretaceous and sabre is Pleistocene. Trike is also Cretaceous. Where the titanboa is Paleocene epoch. Unless your idea of time is different than mine there's alot of years and extinction cycles between alot of the.

This. My usless fact of the day, T rexs lived in a time period closer to watching a Justin Beiber concert than they did to being able to munch a stego. 

3 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

This. My usless fact of the day, T rexs lived in a time period closer to watching a Justin Beiber concert than they did to being able to munch a stego. 

Lol so true Stego is late Jurassic early Cretaceous while Rex is mid to late Cretaceous. Although there is a Stego genus that lived in or around China that existed Late Cretaceous, Jiangjunosaurus. It was possibly munched by the Rex?

5 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

Yes and time periods now are divided into 10's years vice time periods back then might cover 100,000's. Time reference sped up/shortened with the invention of mass communication and the technology boom. Relatively speaking the amount of "evolutionary" advancement we've had in the last 100 years alone surpassed the entirety of the dinosaurs evolutionary period.  

2 minutes ago, Specter229 said:

Lol so true Stego is late Jurassic early Cretaceous while Rex is mid to late Cretaceous. Although there is a Stego genus that lived in or around China that existed Late Cretaceous, Jiangjunosaurus. It was possibly munched by the Rex?

I guess ? Wasnt the Rex a North American species so might not have been able to ? Could have been another Tyrannosaur species in Asia that could have mind you., I would need  to do more research. 

30 minutes ago, lvirusl said:

Primeval = "of or relating to the earliest ages (as of the world or human)" nothing about wyvern in it

Kinda depends on whether they are going for the merriam-webster definition.

Stories always depict dragons as existing during the medieval period but it would probably be safe to assume they existed before that as their always depicted as being 1000s of years old.

I'll throw my hat in the ring here and say I'd be much happier if they'd have stuck to dinosaurs and mammals rather than mythical creatures; said something similar around the time SE was released.

I like the dinosaur/mammal primeval vibe this game has going for it; the bosses are palatable because they are bosses and you expect an endgame boss to be something special. However I'm not keen on mammals fighting dinos fighting mythical creatures in the general game, it's too much, too busy, too muddled for my tastes!

2 minutes ago, Specter229 said:

Kinda depends on whether they are going for the merriam-webster definition.

Stories always depict dragons as existing in medieval times guarding  the princess in the tower. A wyvern is a dragon it's a winged two legged dragon with a barbed tail. Medieval and primeval can almost be used in the same context, as medieval could be considered earliest ages of man.

....what?

Medieval was nowhere near the earliest ages of man, the two words are not interchangeable, they  just sound similar. Medieval literally comes from Middle. 

6 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

I guess ? Wasnt the Rex a North American species so might not have been able to ? Could have been another Tyrannosaur species in Asia that could have mind you., I would need  to do more research. 

It lived in North America and Asia so yeah it could of munched the Jiangjunosaurus.

1 hour ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

I like em, the air superior mount for combat.. it's relationship to quetz feels like a rex to a bronto/paracer, or should at least.. why don't you like them? 

I'd be fine with them if they were restricted to SE but they're overpowered and unavoidable now with transfers. 

From my hundreds of hours of experience 99% of people on dragons just want to be bullys with their flying death machine. It's going to be even worse with ice dragons and they're freeze breath since they slow you down making it that much harder to escape them

9 minutes ago, St1ckyBandit said:

I'd be fine with them if they were restricted to SE but they're overpowered and unavoidable now with transfers. 

From my hundreds of hours of experience 99% of people on dragons just want to be bullys with their flying death machine. It's going to be even worse with ice dragons and they're freeze breath since they slow you down making it that much harder to escape them

Gotcha,  I see your side, I'd suggest that it's more of a "people are dodo holes" issue, but it can be ridiculous for newer and low level players. But there are good guys out there,  actually had a tribemate take it upon himself to help a small group of new players build up by chasing off a troll repeatedly And guard them with his wyvern.. 

And they really aren't op, powerful,  yes.., but many other power tames can be just as destructive.. large bear traps are a cheaper alternative to chain bolas.. and ranged weapons from the cover of forest can be brutal too cause they lack a saddle... just plants can do loads of damage as well as slow them for ranged hits too..

I heard that's the reason ice wyvern are restricted to rag servers.

Just now, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

Gotcha,  I see your side, I'd suggest that it's more of a "people are dodo holes" issue, but it can be ridiculous for newer and low level players. But there are good guys out there,  actually had a tribemate take it upon himself to help a small group of new players build up by chasing off a troll repeatedly And guard them with his wyvern.. 

And they really aren't op, powerful,  yes.., but many other power tames can be just as destructive.. large bear traps are a cheaper alternative to chain bolas.. and ranged weapons from the cover of forest can be brutal too cause they lack a saddle... just plants can do loads of damage as well as slow them for ranged hits too..

I'm not talking about them attacking bases, I'm just referring to player vs player.

And I realize people will be jerks no matter what but when they have a big bad flying death machine that outclasses anything else they're gonna be much more emboldened to go out of their way to be a jackwagon

The game was much better without dragons but whatevs I'll just have to deal with it.

9 hours ago, YUSHOETMI said:

It isn't fair, it was never meant to be fair... its a survival game, getting a flyer at low level just removes all elements of survival especially pre nerf... oh look an alpha rex, i'll just fly over it, actually no i'll spin attack it with a squishy ptera until it dies and makes a dino that was added to the game to be the ultimate threat to survivors look like a glowing red dodo. 

The only people who tend to still complain about the nerf are the PvE community, ironically they forget the part where the devs said the nerf was mostly aimed at PvE to stop the mass use of flyers and only flyers, making 80% of content useless.

Well 80% of content is still useless. And now the 20% that is useful is not as useful as it used to be.

Show us the quote of where they said this was aimed at PvE. I guess I'm one of those that don't remember this. 90% of the changes made to ARK are to balance PvP (my estimate), seems unlikely this one huge change is the one change directed at PvE.

Even if they did say this, doesn't make sense as most PVE players are on unofficial servers where the flyer nerf is irrelevant, so how could it be directed at them?

1 minute ago, wildbill said:

Well 80% of content is still useless. And now the 20% that is useful is not as useful as it used to be.

Show us the quote of where they said this was aimed at PvE. I guess I'm one of those that don't remember this. 90% of the changes made to ARK are to balance PvP (my estimate), seems unlikely this one huge change is the one change directed at PvE.

Even if they did say this, doesn't make sense as most PVE players are on unofficial servers where the flyer nerf is irrelevant, so how could it be directed at them?

It's for both,  fact is, in pve it adds extra time and additional stops outside of base,  thus increasing environment opportunities/encounters.. it's player versus environment, not base and resource sim..

Archived