Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

2 minutes ago, YUSHOETMI said:

I'm not singling you out as such.  It's just a thing i've noticed in many of these "wipe" threads, the people who are most against the wipe usually are the ones who have built up their bases or amassed large amounts of op dinos by using glitches/exploits that are either still prevalent or fixed some time ago.  My only problem with that, especially when they've been fixed is that a new member stands no chance of catching upto them when they have to do it the slower way that is the standard now.

I'd be more than happy if all the problems from duping/glitches where fixed and they came to a compromise that didn't require a full wipe, but as it stands with the way the servers are it looks impossible.

I don't expect you to have read every page in this thread, but I can assure you that all the posts I made in here I have vocalized and given reasons why a wipe SHOULD happen. I have reached endgame on my private server on PVE and I STILL want a wipe to happen, but like you, I want teh duping bugs and exploits fixed, adn then all that was amassed with said glitches be wiped.

So no need to target me. I try to be a good honest ARK player. I'm in my own little private hiddy hole anyway with friends (we dislike strangers :P ), and we all still support a wipe, even if it means we gotta start over again. I just want all that duped stuff gone.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Ulta said:

I don't expect you to have read every page in this thread, but I can assure you that all the posts I made in here I have vocalized and given reasons why a wipe SHOULD happen. I have reached endgame on my private server on PVE and I STILL want a wipe to happen, but like you, I want teh duping bugs and exploits fixed, adn then all that was amassed with said glitches be wiped.

So no need to target me. I try to be a good honest ARK player. I'm in my own little private hiddy hole anyway with friends (we dislike strangers :P ), and we all still support a wipe, even if it means we gotta start over again. I just want all that duped stuff gone.

I'm not targeting you, don't feel that way.  I've played exclusively official since the start and mostly on the same server except for new maps, that would be nearly 2 years of work vanished in a wipe but i'm all for it for the future of the game.

FYI i stopped reading the thread after about the 30th page o.O

On 2/5/2017 at 4:47 AM, Jostabeere said:

We do not know how they will decide in the future. Right now it seems they will not wipe everything. Because wiping everyone will make many people stop playing it because they have built-up so much in years.

The only thing i a, thinking about, Is if they dont wipe, The new people who have been waiting that not into early acess, Would not join if the knew it was full of alphas. And the devs like money as anyone would. I feel like it would be more profitable for them to announce only when it come out. so we keep playing to keep the player count up. then to have new people buy the game. This is why i am not thrilled enough to tame or breed anything big atm.

3 hours ago, YUSHOETMI said:

So all four of you never used a Quetz/anky duo for metal runs back when the quetz took no weight when something was on its back? None of you used the water breeding glitch? I could go on....

Not every glitch is a glaringly obvious cheat, but I can imagine you've all used one at some point.

No I have honestly never done any of that but please feel free to go on with the list.

3 hours ago, YUSHOETMI said:

it's not broken, you can't transfer between the two game modes, never have been able to do so. At least not dinos or items, I think you used to be able to upload your character and transfer that only, could be wrong tho.

I know, I should have included the quote in that post. I was responding to a post informing me that you can bounce between PvE and PvP.

For as long as I can remember you have never been able to just bounce between PvE and PvP.

2 hours ago, Ulta said:

Ok, I could be wrong here but I believe the wipe will only affect official servers... at least in Jeremy's statement he did specify "official" servers. Anyone on priviate can just reset/wipe everything any time they want so why would you be so concerned about something you can just do yourself? Granted you are entitled to your opinion, I'm just a bit confused by it.

5 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

Can someone ANTI WIPE give me a decent reason that is not selfish as to why WC shouldnt wipe their server on release?

Because it honestly won't solve anything. A server wipe will not "fix" the duping issue it will only slow it down. It will not stop the issue of new players feeling bullied by these "alphas"(sorry I still really dislike that term). The only thing it will effectively do is take everything away from players that have not done anything wrong. The people that are duping will go right back to duping and the bullies will still be bullies... if anything it might create even more bullies because the players that never did anything wrong could very well hold resentment towards the new players due to the wipe.

15 minutes ago, Dark2084 said:

Because it honestly won't solve anything. A server wipe will not "fix" the duping issue it will only slow it down. It will not stop the issue of new players feeling bullied by these "alphas"(sorry I still really dislike that term). The only thing it will effectively do is take everything away from players that have not done anything wrong. The people that are duping will go right back to duping and the bullies will still be bullies... if anything it might create even more bullies because the players that never did anything wrong could very well hold resentment towards the new players due to the wipe.

There should only be a wipe after all the exploits have been fixed. I think that speaks for itself. 

Even ignoring the glitches that I'm pretty confident anyone who played in a tribe on official PvP that got large enough to benefit from it used/benefited second hand from, despite what they may claim; There's still a case to be made that anything created pre 1.0 release (or whenever they stop the big balancing) has been obtained via a noticeably different game, a fact that get's truer the further back you go.

Got some max level Rexes that you've had forever? Did they get that XP before dinos were nerfed wholesale? Got a fleet of max level quetzal's? Had them before the flyer nerf? People could have stashes of artifacts that they've got from max player speed cave runs? (Is a thing, have done it, doubt is still a thing) Got oodles of resources gathered from an unbalanced Thero that doesn't gather nearly as much? There's plenty of examples!

My point here is that even taking exploits/duping out of the picture, players entrenched on existing servers have got to where they are playing a different game than the people who would be coming in post release, and I think if I were them I'd want an even playing field to start.

It's not about whos pro wipe or whos against it the bottom line is I would of never spent over 3000 hours on a game I knew was going to be wiped at the end. Love the game but the fact they said they wouldn't wipe I played thinking I had nothing to worry about. I still would of played a lot but there's different mind sets involved. I haven't really played at all except to reset my timers and feed my dinos since they said it was a possibility. The longer it takes for them to actually announce it the more mad people are going to be.

5 minutes ago, Ringo said:

It's not about whos pro wipe or whos against it the bottom line is I would of never spent over 3000 hours on a game I knew was going to be wiped at the end. Love the game but the fact they said they wouldn't wipe I played thinking I had nothing to worry about. I still would of played a lot but there's different mind sets involved. I haven't really played at all except to reset my timers and feed my dinos since they said it was a possibility. The longer it takes for them to actually announce it the more mad people are going to be.

I can understand that level of thinking but honestly the fact it's an EA game should have rang alarm bells that it COULD be wiped at any time. Most people wanna be thankful it just hasn't yet as most EA games in the past have encountered massive flaws in the game and had to wipe after they've been fixed to level it out, at least WC have tried to fix the problems then decide what to do. 

16 minutes ago, YUSHOETMI said:

I can understand that level of thinking but honestly the fact it's an EA game should have rang alarm bells that it COULD be wiped at any time. Most people wanna be thankful it just hasn't yet as most EA games in the past have encountered massive flaws in the game and had to wipe after they've been fixed to level it out, at least WC have tried to fix the problems then decide what to do. 

There should have been no bells ringing yusho, since they put out official statements saying that there would be no wipe. He had every right to feel secure in playing with out losing his stuff if they make those kind of announcements.

2 hours ago, YUSHOETMI said:

I do. PvP whilst ya at it too. 

pve official only, spend 3400+ hours on a single base in one server.

i would not have collected 15000 eggs if i had known that there would be a wipe at release.

i doubt we will see more new players on release date then we had during christmas sales.
so its a joke in this regard to hype it up and wipe for it what... few thousand new players ?

29 minutes ago, lvirusl said:

There should have been no bells ringing yusho, since they put out official statements saying that there would be no wipe. He had every right to feel secure in playing with out losing his stuff if they make those kind of announcements.

The announcement was made at a totally different time in the development stage tho, that's the problem, had the game stayed the way it was back then compared to what it is now then a wipe wouldn't be needed and Jeremy's "promise" would be valid.

7 minutes ago, BertNoobians said:

pve official only, spend 3400+ hours on a single base in one server.

i would not have collected 15000 eggs if i had known that there would be a wipe at release.

i doubt we will see more new players on release date then we had during christmas sales.
so its a joke in this regard to hype it up and wipe for it what... few thousand new players ?

15000 eggs? ....... I can't even... what?

7 hours ago, YUSHOETMI said:

So all four of you never used a Quetz/anky duo for metal runs back when the quetz took no weight when something was on its back? None of you used the water breeding glitch? I could go on....

Not every glitch is a glaringly obvious cheat, but I can imagine you've all used one at some point.

I can only speak for myself but to to answer your question. Nope. No. Not at all.  Like most glitches in this game I found out about them by hearing others complain about them being patched. I was busy playing the game and grinding out an existence.  My little two man tribe with only one real player didn't have much need for a cheat.  I accepted a long time ago that it was going to take me a very long time to achieve things others were doing much faster.  And some things in this game I simply decided to not even try solo.  I went over a year in this game before I got my first quetz and that only happened when I decided to go all metal for my new base build.  And pretty much took one look at the breeding times on most dinos and said NOPE, as I knew I wouldn't have the time.  

37 minutes ago, lvirusl said:

One. Single. Statement. A. Year. Ago.

Things change. Get over it.

14 minutes ago, Thexone said:

I can only speak for myself but to to answer your question. Nope. No. Not at all.  Like most glitches in this game I found out about them by hearing others complain about them being patched. I was busy playing the game and grinding out an existence.  My little two man tribe with only one real player didn't have much need for a cheat.  I accepted a long time ago that it was going to take me a very long time to achieve things others were doing much faster.  And some things in this game I simply decided to not even try solo.  I went over a year in this game before I got my first quetz and that only happened when I decided to go all metal for my new base build.  And pretty much took one look at the breeding times on most dinos and said NOPE, as I knew I wouldn't have the time.  

See that's the thing, even people who haven't willingly used a glitch or bug down the line are still at an advantage over anybody else who joins on release or even in the past few months.

The game is a totally different game from when I started and quite possibly yourself, you (or others) built a base using dinos that have now been nerfed, meaning newer players will have to do it slower.  You (again or others) leveled up OP dinos that are now virtually impossible to replicate even with intense breeding.

Duping needs to be eradicated before a wipe that I understand but look at tribes who have abused it in the past and become the alpha or dominant tribe across one or multiple servers because of not just duping but advantages with glitches that cannot be replicated by other players to catch up with them?  Maybe they was unlucky enough to have the duplicated weapons and items deleted by admins but they are still in the advanced position they was placed in by abusing those mechanics.

Yes I play PvP so my stance is biased towards that, barely any PvP server is high pop anymore, used to have to fight just to get into a server now your'e lucky if 10 or more people are on during the day. Wiping and reducing the amount of servers will fix that and make the game more competitive again which will make it harder for the Alphas to rule once more as they have more of a pool to fight against.

As for PvE, they need a wipe too, nearly every server ive visited is just inhabitable by a new player, nowhere to build, pillars everywhere, EVERY conceivable cap reaching its limits because of greedy tribes.

I mean the fact its going to go full release soon and will effectively be v1.0 says it all really.

20 hours ago, X111 said:

cluster all old servers as island, centre, SE and Rag per cluster

once people start getting bored because they cant migrate to the new servers they will slowly loose interest and either quite altogether OR start a new character on the new servers.

WC runs a analyst on each cluster every 3 months to monitor population levels (no new players able to join), if a cluster population falls below 30 for example they then notify the server that the server cluster is being wiped and then reintegrated into the rest of the community. WC could then offer to protect 5 creatures from the those legacy players and provide them on the new servers without timers so that a chance is given in finding a new home.

easiest peaceful way of conducting business

I have seen servers come back from low pop to high so it's really not fair to say "you dropped your quota for players this month now death" I would suspect they might wipe and repurpose some hardcore servers with the 2-3 players that haven't died yet.. but I'm sure they are used to it 

9 minutes ago, Insomniak said:

I have seen servers come back from low pop to high so it's really not fair to say "you dropped your quota for players this month now death" I would suspect they might wipe and repurpose some hardcore servers with the 2-3 players that haven't died yet.. but I'm sure they are used to it 

Yeah they can, but I think what X111 meant was that these legacy servers wouldn't allow new joins.  Every server I've seen come back has been because of a couple of tribes transferring in from SE.  (Which make sense, really, if you're planning a big move you scout for a low-pop server to which to migrate.).  If these clusters ONLY allowed transfers, and the population count was based off the cluster maximum (to account for transfers back and forth), you could create a community that would last until it dies out.  Once they die out (and they will!) you could sunset it and roll the assets back into the main community.  

BUT, 

they WON'T do this, because it will require activating additional, new, servers which cost money they don't have.

I want to give my 2 cents on the topic. With a newly released game, I expect a fresh experience. I wanna wake up on the Island on Day 1 and not Day 20921…. I don’t want to see massive bases towering the landscape and alpha tribes with a stranglehold on the map on launch day.

I remember the thrill and excitement on the new Center servers when they first came out. Players flocked to new servers competing for dominance on the new map. What kind of game would not provide fresh clean servers when it officially releases? Sure I’m cool with the legacy server idea, but those will die off pretty quickly when the majority of the playerbase is playing the fresh servers.

A lot of players are threatening to quit the game if they wipe servers. Well good for you. I’m willing to bet for every player that has had 2000+ hours in this game and “quits”, there will be another player back that has ~200hrs and quit back in the day because they were wiped. I’ve tried to quit this game many times. But I come back because of how great the game really is. I would imagine most would do the same if there was a wipe. And honestly if you are the top tribe or are left alone, the game gets stagnant with maintenance upkeep (filling generators, filling turrets, feeding dinos). You signed up for an Early Access game. Wildcard reserves the right to hit the “wipe” button.

1 hour ago, Insomniak said:

sorry if I didn't make it clear but below is a better representation, sorry about the confusion

50 minutes ago, electricblooz said:

Yeah they can, but I think what X111 meant was that these legacy servers wouldn't allow new joins.  Every server I've seen come back has been because of a couple of tribes transferring in from SE.  (Which make sense, really, if you're planning a big move you scout for a low-pop server to which to migrate.).  If these clusters ONLY allowed transfers, and the population count was based off the cluster maximum (to account for transfers back and forth), you could create a community that would last until it dies out.  Once they die out (and they will!) you could sunset it and roll the assets back into the main community.  

BUT, 

they WON'T do this, because it will require activating additional, new, servers which cost money they don't have.

I thought they have already confirmed new server releases unless I'm getting myself confused now.

they are repurposing new servers often enough, there's a site of wiped servers posted if you search in Google.

remember there's a 9mil player base at EA, imagine on full release, they will have to release new servers regardless, if they're expecting double at release then they're going to need new servers.

It would look like:

1     10

2      9

3      8

4      7

5      6

6      5

7      4

8      3

9      2

10    1

where ascending is new servers and descending is old servers

grouping the servers into 4's for representing each Ark and then isolating them to prevent mass migration would then cause those servers to naturally die out due to low population turnover. PVP will show, I predict, a massive migration over to new servers with a few die hard's ruling a cluster of no one. they will soon get bored and move over or quite the game depending on the individual.

PVE is a different kettle of fish and I think could outlast the Mods, PVE'ers would love mini clusters as apposed to massive inter server transfers. plenty of space for 280 players over 4 Arks. to be able to change between 2 Arks and know everyone on each Ark would build better relations and who knows, it could turn into a community rather than "OI get off ma'land!" issues with new players building in the middle of a back yard

• GP locked this topic
  • Joebl0w13 unlocked this topic

Archived