Mindwipe tonic can now only be applied once per level up.

Sphere

2 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

There was a "demand" for a way to respec because ARK initially had no mindwipes. When you couple server lag with allocating stats (or just mashing points) it was neither unlikely nor unheard of for players to put one too many points in stats, effectively "ruining" their build. This was compounded more when they enabled the ability to learn engrams by double clicking on them rather than the initial method of clicking on an engram then clicking learn engram at the bottom. To alleviate this issue the mindwipe tonic was introduced, as a means for people to course correct and fix those allocation mistakes. Fast forward to now and people have been using mindwipes not as a means of course correction but as a stepping stone into being a jack of all trades, except that rather than being master of none it's actually also master of all so long as they have the mind wipe tonics for it as well.

I don't believe anyone is disagreeing with the fact that the ability to spam mindwipes for every given situation at any given time was an issue that needed to be fixed. However, every argument you and others have made for the change could also have been achieved with the less drastic and non permanent option of introducing a significant cooldown.

In 2 months if I feel I can drop 9 points in bagweight to increase points in melee damage to better suit my play-style what's the problem? Or if I return after taking a break from the game for 6 months and I've lost all my blueprints but have no engram points to compensate for this why can't I gather the mats for a mindwipe and ease my return to this great game?

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, GP said:

This is a good reason for the change. Mindwiping before and after every boss fight shouldn't really be a thing.

Please explain why it is a good reason? It is a player's choice to do that.

Say I put my points in to something combat oriented. Lots of points went to health and melee. Well, if I want to go farm metal and move things around my base, my weak weight will hurt me. If I want to go spelunking in caves I will be very slow and my melee will be worthless (your armor will break by the time you kill anything). I enjoyed mindwiping, going to a high stamina and speed build, and retrieving the Artifact of the Strong.

I actually have mindwiped twice in the past 4 months just to perfect the stats to how I want them. If I was unable to do it to get rid of the 30 points of stamina I never used I would be upset about my character. This change, which is the first I heard of it, seems to come out of nowhere and do no one any good. It will force players to do the Guardians, but they are impossible to defeat unless you glitch them out.

I didn't read through 8 pages of comments so it may have already been asked or suggested. Once we use our last true mind wipe can we atleast use it to get just the engram points back. That way for the solo and singleplayer people they can get rid of wasted saddle unlock once they find some BPs for the animal. That can free up a lot of points that can be used to unlock other gear/structures. If WC didn't think of that then they really should have. Makes mind wipe a useless item now really. It will be a pain but like others have said you can just make different chacters for different situations.

6 minutes ago, Canes said:

I didn't read through 8 pages of comments so it may have already been asked or suggested. Once we use our last true mind wipe can we atleast use it to get just the engram points back. That way for the solo and singleplayer people they can get rid of wasted saddle unlock once they find some BPs for the animal. That can free up a lot of points that can be used to unlock other gear/structures. If WC didn't think of that then they really should have. Makes mind wipe a useless item now really. It will be a pain but like others have said you can just make different chacters for different situations.

Doesn't it already do that? Or am I having a senior moment?

Too much to read through but whats the logic behind this? Many people in tribes pick certain engrams so others can take different ones. For example: I do all the gun/ammo building, another tribemate does all the building material, another does all the saddles, and so on. Like any online game, there is a turnover rate. What if my player who does all the saddle engrams quits? Now one of us has to learn some of them? Im stuck without anyone who can learn them because we all used are level 100 "One free Mindwipe" card???

Every game has some type of ability to let you change your "picks" around at the end game. If WC thinks its too easy to make a soup and chance your engrams, then make it cost something more.

I remember when you couldnt do this back when WoW first started and people were livid. That got changed pretty quick so people could respec talents.

Just now, Canes said:

Makes me worry. Or hope they are like oops my bad and do a hot fix for it.

Until we know I guess you should be extra careful about what you pick yeah.
That in it self isn't really a bad thing, promotes trading etc. but if you've been looking for someone to make you an industrial forge for a week and no luck I'd still rather pop my weekly/daily/monthly/<insert time> mind wipe and respec.

4 hours ago, GP said:

This is a good reason for the change. Mindwiping before and after every boss fight shouldn't really be a thing.

Yea.. problem I see with most players is that they want to play ark with no consequences.. it's a sandbox game but you will have to make decisions.  Only issue with the crafting skill as a level up thing is that bigger tribes will be able to make smurf's and power level their alt and have access to infinitely better gear than others.. imo, should be a separate leveling system (much like skyrim) where the more you do something the better you become at it.. call it a secondary skillset if you will.  Could apply to cooking, taming(?), crafting(which could be broken up into building/smithing/etc).. that way you remove the mindwipe issue and actually force players to put time into upping their special skills instead of circumnavigating the system..

28 minutes ago, Aldor said:

I don't believe anyone is disagreeing with the fact that the ability to spam mindwipes for every given situation at any given time was an issue that needed to be fixed. However, every argument you and others have made for the change could also have been achieved with the less drastic and non permanent option of introducing a significant cooldown.

In 2 months if I feel I can drop 9 points in bagweight to increase points in melee damage to better suit my play-style what's the problem? Or if I return after taking a break from the game for 6 months and I've lost all my blueprints but have no engram points to compensate for this why can't I gather the mats for a mindwipe and ease my return to this great game?

There is nothing really permanent though. A couple grinder runs will get you the level you need to do the other mindwipe.

as far as 115 goes yeah I do get it because then there is not possibility but before that it is just a matter of leveling up. Something people should be doing anyway

2 minutes ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

Yea.. problem I see with most players is that they want to play ark with no consequences.. it's a sandbox game but you will have to make decisions.  Only issue with the crafting skill as a level up thing is that bigger tribes will be able to make smurf's and power level their alt and have access to infinitely better gear than others.. imo, should be a separate leveling system (much like skyrim) where the more you do something the better you become at it.. call it a secondary skillset if you will.  Could apply to cooking, taming(?), crafting(which could be broken up into building/smithing/etc).. that way you remove the mindwipe issue and actually force players to put time into upping their special skills instead of circumnavigating the system..

That's the problem. Everything has consequences. Millennials never want their to be consequences for anything.

8 minutes ago, Currahee said:

This is the only thing in the patch notes that I didn't like. I'm sure some mod will change it up, could easily be a config option too.

I would be very surprised if it didn't end up as a .ini toggle or a mod.
While that would remove any issues for me, I still want to see a decent cooldown instead.

5 hours ago, GP said:

Deciding on your level up should require thinking and consideration, its about strategy. Doing mind wipe 10 times a day to make your tasks easier is another very good reason for this change.

So you agree that the choice you make today for bosses, might not be good tomorrow because they tweak bosses and you are stuck sucking and not doing bosses because of your past choice ? 

Seriously I can name 10 of you guys who would defend devs if they canceled the project now and turned off all official servers. Every change that gets criticism you guys are up on your horses defending its justified. 

EDIT : 

This change also confirms that the 4th DLC they promised (SE, Center, Rag, 4th) will be that new sponsored mod that lets you chose a role. 

It's really an ARK : Survival Evolved.

Archived