Any elaboration on what the flyer nerf will entail?

Novarae

5 minutes ago, Probitas said:

And I still think this nerf is primarily to deal with pvp issues (and alpha tribe complaints about being threatened by low level tribes). Can't have upstarts shaking the tree.

Pteras aren't a threat to high level tribes. Anything a low level tribe is flying literally gets one shot by a Compound Bow, or three shot by their pteras. The devs specifically went out of their way to put special emphasis on the fact that this is a PvE nerf. That train of thought is further reinforced by the fact that, for the most part, stat nerfs are irrelevant to the problems (Picking) that Flyers present in PvP

(Oh yeah, most Alpha tribes will just come over with Quetzals. Thus be immune to Pteras)

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, iAmE said:

Pteras aren't a threat to high level tribes. Anything a low level tribe is flying literally gets one shot by a Compound Bow, or three shot by their pteras. The devs specifically went out of their way to put special emphasis on the fact that this is a PvE nerf. That train of thought is further reinforced by the fact that, for the most part, stat nerfs are irrelevant to the problems (Picking) that Flyers present in PvP

(Oh yeah, most Alpha tribes will just come over with Quetzals. Thus be immune to Pteras)

Then it makes no sense to do it. People will just find another way to avoid content, like getting argies. Then nerf them. May as well remove ALL flying mounts if they wish to do that. Seems like a knee jerk response. There are easy ways around the limitation. One example: Quetz saddle with tribe on it, followed by ptero, who are hovering far above tribe. Each tribe member summons one ptero and mounts and down they all go by landing on saddle and walking off the edge. No stamina drain when falling, and it's at top speed. Good luck shooting that down before they get close to ground and start attacking.

Now what are you gonna do?

Guest BubbaCrawfish
2 hours ago, kithylin said:

Actually all I've done is reverted the stupid "Dino Nerf" that they did a few months back

All you've done is crank up the base levels, You haven't done ANYTHING, repeat A N Y T H I N G, to remove the speed nerf that was implemented...

Again, you haven't reverted JACK...

You've just given your server over-leveled dinos, that is all.

3 hours ago, Zederia said:

if they wouldn't let PvP restat, what makes you think PvE is gonna get it? (since my comment was obviously lost on someone unable to think)

That is the funniest thing I have read in a while, learn to write and properly express yourself and maybe you can move up to the big league where people think.

32 minutes ago, mlwspace2005 said:

I saw it, nothing of actual substance has been said though, nothing we didn't already know.

To be honest, you can draw a number of conclusions off of his statement that were ambiguous, if not unknown completely prior to the statement. Such as the patch being, for the most part, aimed at PvE, as he specifically mentions things about flyers that are irrelevant to PvP

21 minutes ago, iAmE said:

To be honest, you can draw a number of conclusions off of his statement that were ambiguous, if not unknown completely prior to the statement. Such as the patch being, for the most part, aimed at PvE, as he specifically mentions things about flyers that are irrelevant to PvP

*Shrugs* I guess it helps I read the original steam post where he first mentioned the flyer nerf when it was originally posted. He really hasn't said anything that wasn't already said two months ago. As cryptic as his post here is it still had no real substance, just the appearance of it. I need to know if I need to clean out all my fertilized ptera eggs from the fridge or not lol, atleast a hint as to what the new meta is. Pictures of a horse few people will actually us does nothing for that.

2 hours ago, Probitas said:

I still disagree. Terror birds are worse that ptero. They can barely carry anything, and their attack is crap. And you can't fly the whole of the island on one stamina bar, that has never been possible. I always have to land to rest, I just pick places that ground dinos can't reach, like the tops of rocks.

And players that have no fast way to traverse the island may as well forgo indulging in chasing Raptor Claus gifts, they will despawn long before a ground dino could ever reach them in time, because the come down at night when traveling by ground is practically a death sentence, and you can't track the gifts from the ground unless right on top of them.

And if players believe that any dinos can allow a player to avoid content, then that holds true for all players and all dinos regardless of level of the player. If they nerf pteros, they have to nerf all flying mounts, including wyverns.

And I still think this nerf is primarily to deal with pvp issues (and alpha tribe complaints about being threatened by low level tribes). Can't have upstarts shaking the tree.

The terror bird comment wasn't supposed to be taken literally, Most of official (The Alpha's atleast) I know are sporting around 3k to 3.5k Stam on there pteranadons aswell as 300%ish MS post levelling I've built on an iceberg and I can easily lap the map on 1 stam bar of course it depends on how you level it but that's the most common way. These pteranadons are old news aswell been around for months.

The nerf also isn't directed at the pteranadon there all copping the nerf bat.

Don't bash the Terror bird it may have a garbage attack and pteranadon tier weight, but there usefulness lies in there speed and the fact there so damn tiny. A terror bird is faster than an argy with such a tiny model that when reaching speeds near 300% it's a sight to behold sure like almost every early tier dino they die in a few bullets. But hiding a terror bird is the easiest thing in the game put its head in a tree or a rock that's next to a bush or something boom instant floof camo. I'm not arguing there god tier but hey if the nerf really guts viability of birds. A snipers gotta get around man I don't want to be stuck on some dumb rex trying to find a sniper spot. I'm investing in terror birds and thylacoceo (or whatever its called). I mean I bet if I jumped off a hill or something i'd get more fly time than a post nerf pteranadon xD 

If anything this nerf if it skewers the quetzels helps alpha tribes from raiding each other, if the rumors are true and the quetzal loses its platform ontop of nerfs aswell we're probably about to see some really ballsy ass cluster bomb videos or it'll just die out. If the wyvern eats it from the nerf aswell theres the 2 strongest ways for alpha v alpha the game will become a linear version who's got the better bronto's!. Just kidding I'm sure the community will adapt and we'll figure out a new way to c4 bases (C4 gallimus calling it)

3 minutes ago, Morloa said:

If anything this nerf if it skewers the quetzels helps alpha tribes from raiding each other, if the rumors are true and the quetzal loses its platform ontop of nerfs aswell we're probably about to see some really ballsy ass cluster bomb videos or it'll just die out. If the wyvern eats it from the nerf aswell theres the 2 strongest ways for alpha v alpha the game will become a linear version who's got the better bronto's!. Just kidding I'm sure the community will adapt and we'll figure out a new way to c4 bases (C4 gallimus calling it)

Actually, C4 Roo's were used prior to Wyverns coming out in similar manner to C4 wyverns. Likely the meta will default back to that. They have decent Z movement, and high movement speed, along with relatively cheap saddles, and availability of high armor ones. They can, also like the wyvern, carry the two people (One with the bombs, one the detonator).

Though realistically, if the Quetzal loses its platform, you'll essentially see absolutely no warfare at all, as the gathering of metal and other precious resources used to raid will essentially be reduced by at least 10-15x. Though raiding will inevitably pick back up as people realize that there is now absolutely zero chance of defending any base from a standard bronto or turtle drain on turrets, because even with Quetzal Platform farming, most tribes can raise enough turtles in a day to drain the bullets you can farm in a week. Which means, essentially, it would mean nothing on official pvp servers, as they're already controlled by one group and no PvP occurs on them, but for the unofficial servers who, for some reason, adopt the changes, you would basically never be able to defend a base what so ever, increasing the already present hyper-ecocidal ark environment to almost hilarious proportions. 

8 minutes ago, Morloa said:

that's when they hit us with the x6 dmg to dino's from bullets nerf and we realise we're back where we started

And now you begin to understand the maddening circle I have been running in for the last month.

It becomes, abundantly clear, when you begin to go down that rabbit hole, that the Developers do not listen to their playerbase, nor play their own game. Which is problematic because, as people playing an early access game, we play it, in part, to test, and break, the game. 

It took my tribe about fifteen minutes to realize that Dino Breeding would break the PvP game. Exponential resource denial growth vs linear resource gather rate. It's that simple. It's that broken. 

On 3/29/2017 at 10:54 AM, Jat said:

....I believe TRH's purpose is to work with our gameplay guys to make sure creatures have roles in the game and you're not just using 1 creature for everything.

The Therizinosaurus sounds like a perfect example of "using 1 creature for everything".  

Clarifications and distinctions need to be made on what "everything" means with context and gameplay in mind when referring to Flyers. To elaborate on the Therizinosaurus, it is a utility dinosaur and functions as a gatherer. A Quetzal is a giant flyer that functions as a transporter. The Quetzal is a transportation dinosaur, an does not gather in it self. It is his transportation ability that makes the Quetzal a formidable dinosaur. Paired with another dinosaur, the mutual gathering ability is facilitated and thus able to gather aka" Farm" with great efficiency. 

If you think a particular Flyer is a "1 creature" army because it can be used for anything, then why not introduce a different giant flyer that can be used to fill in a current Role that the Quetzal is being used for that the "Devs" did not intend it to be used for.

The changes we're making can be undone using mods, or in some cases even altering the stats via ini - but of course our Official Servers will be affected by this change. We do understand that not everyone wants to play the game the way it has been designed by the development team, and that is completely acceptable. This is why we provide the tools for you guys to make your own alterations that you would find enjoyable.

I may be reading too much in between the lines. However being part of the paying preview non-paid test client for Ark Evolved, I wold suggest to take into consideration what your player base is saying, look at the Facebook buy/trade channel for Xbox, 17k members and growing. With this said, implying that players "rent" servers to host the game without the changes we are forcing on your player base, sounds like an attempt to push for Server Rentals. Can you please tell me what company you partnered up to provide private Ark servers for Xbox players or PS4 players so I can invest in them and make money too?

Thanks Devs, - I petition a public relations tribe to handle some of the patch announcements.

This is like trying to nerf planes in WW2, which made fun of tanks and naval ships. The same is true of today. Aerial combat is OP regardless of real life or game mechanics. And nerfing it to chase after some kind of funky balance in the name of survival, will only hurt the value of the game as a product. People love flying, they dream of flying, they want to be free. If there are going to be nerfs, just be careful of their impact.

On 3/28/2017 at 2:44 AM, sal said:

I have not seen any further information but if i would guess it should be

* A huge nerf to the movement speed you get via levels, at least 50% reduction

* Pteras can no longer grab

* Remove Quetz Platform saddle

* A debuff to the bird when you carry a creature (slower movement, more stamina drain)

* A rework of the flight model, right now you fly like a X-Fighter in space, aerodynamics are completly ignored =)

but we will see =)

I hope they don't remove quetzal platforms. That'd be a very stupid thing for them to go and do seeing how they're mostly used for gathering resources and transporting non flyers around the maps.

4 minutes ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Are those confirmed numbers? Lmao like argi, lymantria,pelagornis and tapejara aren't slow enough

On the other hand, wouldn't that be an indirect nerf for the dragon boss? :D

I don't think Wild Dino's are affected by this. I only saw a small bit of the stream where they raced a Bronto against a Wyvern, and at base speeds for both, the Bronto won from Herbi to Stonehenge. They were speaking Chinese (I think?), so I didn't hear much of what was said though. 

Just now, iAmE said:

I don't think Wild Dino's are affected by this. I only saw a small bit of the stream where they raced a Bronto against a Wyvern, and at base speeds for both, the Bronto won from Herbi to Stonehenge. They were speaking Chinese, so I didn't hear much of what was said though. 

WOOOOOW now thats a huge nerf

Archived