You're Ruining The Ocean! (Video Proof)

Crows

On 3/29/2017 at 4:35 AM, iAmE said:

4,000 teeth?

Ok, first for some context. I live underwater. It's what I do. I have five thousand hours in ark (Which means I may have actually played two or three thousand and afk'd the rest at the title screen), but the vast majority (At least 90% of the time) has been spent. In the water. I live there. I have lived there my Ark game time, with the exception of farming in air. 

Now that I've explained the context, let's go through reality:

Caves are not the only places Eels are glitchy, and neither "OH LOL IT'S MULTIPLAYER L2P" a good excuse for the buggy nature, and bad design of the eel. I haven't lost anything to Eels either, but I've had a couple close calls, and no, I don't go solo caves anymore either (Though I was able to easily do so with any of my high level squid or mosa's before Eels). None of this stops me from acknowledging the bad design inherent in the creature. 

Now, as to why it's bad design?

That's simple.

1: It's buggy. Just all over. It's hitboxes are awful, meaning it can phase into and out of dinos and well, geometry.

2: The dismount mechanic isn't preventable in a number of cases solely for the above reason. Can't play around it. Pretty classical artificial difficulty.

3: Stun mechanic is a cheap way to not have to address Torpor on Dino's

4: It's not fun. You should, in a general sense, never put a player in a situation where they feel "Helpless", it's a core tennet of game design. Eels do that. For all of the reasons above.

5: Guess what. The game isn't actually Multiplayer. It has this Single Player Button too. So, even though you think Solo players aren't worth considering, that little facet might be something you should look into.

6: It reduces the number of viable tames for clearing the cave, to Basil. The slowest, and worst, experience of any of the water dinos added to date. 

Lets look at your points shall we.

1) Buggy: Early Access game i am sure they are aware of it and they deffinately fix it look at the majority of the creatures released. It is being released on the original code where you can attack through structures on it or place c4 place the tail/tenticals through the map and explode it insides someones base. At this point we have to accept they code it first then fix it up and that can take well over 3 months to fix.

2) Awareness is key i have never been caught by a EEL before so i have no idea what your on about here.

3) Stun mechanics this to me is stupid but they want to test new mechanics which are always subject to change. This may not change as they could bring in underwater darts that will deal with your Topor issue.

4) Again multiplayer survival game people have had it so easy with flyers they feel nothing should need a partner. Guess what home slice this is content they are working towards so you need team work for. Alternatively general awareness is key here. Not 1ce have i felt helpless in the ocean. Hell the only time i have felt hopeless is when we took like 15 rexes to take out the giga when it was first released. That was a hopeless situation.

5) This game is a multiplayer game and you have the choice to press the single player button. if a single player considers the Artificial difficulty to hard they can remove that them self from the files. Many of people have taught others how to do it a simple google check would probably help you get rid of them if they are causing you so much issues. Till the current AD gets change of the dino for single player.

6) TEAM WORK MAH MAN TEAM WORK.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 hour ago, SlipperySquid said:

1) Buggy: Early Access game i am sure they are aware of it and they deffinately fix it look at the majority of the creatures released. It is being released on the original code where you can attack through structures on it or place c4 place the tail/tenticals through the map and explode it insides someones base. At this point we have to accept they code it first then fix it up and that can take well over 3 months to fix.

Over three months? Support tickets about survivors stuck don't have a three month turn around. I'ld be surprised to see the Eel get nerfed or fixed in the next year. 

They introduced a creature that is gamebreaking to underwater gameplay. Releasing the creature, as it stands, at all, is unacceptable. The creature is not ready for testing. It phases through solid geometry and creatures. It tames and can't attack. It's a broken creature. 

Just because people can play around it, doesn't mean it's a good or meaningful addition to the game. Neither is it acceptable to literally destroy all semblance of underwater life because "Well no one plays underwater anyways". 

2) Awareness is key i have never been caught by a EEL before so i have no idea what your on about here.

Then you are either lying, or you don't spend much time underwater since the Eel was introduced. You can't be "Aware" against Eels. They live inside of geometry. You can, in no way, see them before they leave the geometry. How are you "aware" of something that is beyond your perception?

The biggest problem, and I stress, the biggest problem with Eels as they stand, is they can literally phase through solid geometry. You look around, don't see anything, start eating something, and the Eel comes out of the rock next to you, like some form of ghost, and shocks you. There's no being aware of that and no avoiding it.

3) Stun mechanics this to me is stupid but they want to test new mechanics which are always subject to change. This may not change as they could bring in underwater darts that will deal with your Topor issue.

Stun isn't a new mechanic. It's an old mechanic (Torpor) reskinned, and implemented, because the developers didn't want to address how to make Eels relevant without addressing the Torpor system. 

4) Again multiplayer survival game people have had it so easy with flyers they feel nothing should need a partner. Guess what home slice this is content they are working towards so you need team work for. Alternatively general awareness is key here. Not 1ce have i felt helpless in the ocean. Hell the only time i have felt hopeless is when we took like 15 rexes to take out the giga when it was first released. That was a hopeless situation.

This has nothing to do with flyers, and if you did actually use Flyers, and think that nothing needs a partner for anything, using that as your example, I question whether you play this game at all. Further, if you have never felt helpless in the ocean, I reiterate, you are either lying, or you don't spend time in the ocean. That, or you don't quite know what Helpless means. I would feel less helpless taking on that Giga, then being stunlocked by a school of eels that came OUT of the ground because I fought too close to it. You can salvage, or avoid the Giga all together. Can't do either against Eels. 

5) This game is a multiplayer game and you have the choice to press the single player button. if a single player considers the Artificial difficulty to hard they can remove that them self from the files. Many of people have taught others how to do it a simple google check would probably help you get rid of them if they are causing you so much issues. Till the current AD gets change of the dino for single player.

"We implemented a broken content and if you don't like it, too bad, L2P".

Sorry. That isn't a realistic answer.

6) TEAM WORK MAH MAN TEAM WORK.

You shouldn't need to use teamwork to address mechanics that shouldn't exist. Period. You can cry about how everyone "Needs to go in groups of 5 with only basils so the ocean is ezpz", but in reality, that's not how balance, or game design works. 

1 hour ago, iAmE said:

Then you are either lying, or you don't spend much time underwater since the Eel was introduced. You can't be "Aware" against Eels. They live inside of geometry. You can, in no way, see them before they leave the geometry. How are you "aware" of something that is beyond your perception?

The biggest problem, and I stress, the biggest problem with Eels as they stand, is they can literally phase through solid geometry. You look around, don't see anything, start eating something, and the Eel comes out of the rock next to you, like some form of ghost, and shocks you. There's no being aware of that and no avoiding it.

This ^. I just lost a second Tusoteuthis (Lvl 90 Wild, 200 when killed) to a pack of Eels. I was fighting 2 Plesios, when suddenly a group of Eels came out of the rock right next to me, and shocked me before i could even react. Couldn't even run, because they had me pinned. When Eels do this, you might as well just get up from the computer desk, leave the room, and go make a sandwich, because you can't do anything about it. Eels pop out of nowhere and go "SURPRIZE! BUTT SECKZ!" and you're basically screwed.

If they really want people to play around with the upcoming Underwater Bases and the Tek Mosa Saddle (which is probably going to be unlocked by defeating the underwater boss, the white Leedsichthys, Moby sausage), they're going to have to balance the Eels.

15 hours ago, Daedros said:

This ^. I just lost a second Tusoteuthis (Lvl 90 Wild, 200 when killed) to a pack of Eels. I was fighting 2 Plesios, when suddenly a group of Eels came out of the rock right next to me, and shocked me before i could even react. Couldn't even run, because they had me pinned. When Eels do this, you might as well just get up from the computer desk, leave the room, and go make a sandwich, because you can't do anything about it. Eels pop out of nowhere and go "SURPRIZE! BUTT SECKZ!" and you're basically screwed.

If they really want people to play around with the upcoming Underwater Bases and the Tek Mosa Saddle (which is probably going to be unlocked by defeating the underwater boss, the white Leedsichthys, Moby sausage), they're going to have to balance the Eels.

Agreed. Speaking of which; 

How amazing, right? yet we know that even a badass Tek Mosa will get cheese-killed by a group of stealth eels and other sea creatures that just so happen to join the ganking party. 

I'm not at all excited about the Tek Mosa because of eels. Not one bit. WildCard are completely unaware right now or they're just ignoring the whole eel issue. 

1 hour ago, LilNastyGurl said:

Didn't they nerf eels in 256?

You know how if you fight a Scorpion foot, if it gets on you, you get stuck between it's legs?

Yeah. Eels are basically the same thing. Eels can phase through solid objects (Think like Titanoboas/Arthro's do in Caves), and then will randomly jump out of solid rocks (Not just in caves, but all over the ocean) with no warning, and you can't really tell they're there before it happens (Because they're in rocks). They then swim up on your mount (Likely as you're fight stuff), and do various things to you (Dismount you if you're on a Mosa, prevent you from attacking if you're on a Squid or nothing if you're on a Basil), but one thing they do to both Squids and Mosa is phase into the dinos body and prevent them from moving if you're mounted on the Dino. 

jeah we lost our best squid and mosa to this poop, impossible to defend against unless you stay "away from walls and ground" lol, 

i wrote a ticket/forumpost back then but no response as usual, took them 3 months to realize highlv mantas were not tameable, i bet this will make it at least 4....

they took the ocean now the air,  all thats left is ark despair...

1 hour ago, rawsh said:

jeah we lost our best squid and mosa to this poop, impossible to defend against unless you stay "away from walls and ground" lol, 

i wrote a ticket/forumpost back then but no response as usual, took them 3 months to realize highlv mantas were not tameable, i bet this will make it at least 4....

they took the ocean now the air,  all thats left is ark despair...

rep +1 for the rhyme

I thought I could swim, because I couldn't fly, now in the water, for no reason I die :(

10 minutes ago, GravitronX said:

Maybe mounts should treat the inside of them as part of the damage hit box

The Giga had problems with Dinos surrounding it's feet and killing it (Compies) or flying inside it's body and killing it (Dimorphs), the Devs proceeded to make the entire body of the Giga a hitbox. 

So the devs have done this stuff before, they just don't do it to underwater mounts for the same reason the underwater issues/biome is overly neglected. No one cares about it because no one lives there (Of course some people do, and they, by extent, are neglected, but the devs kinda don't care at this point). 

45 minutes ago, iAmE said:

The Giga had problems with Dinos surrounding it's feet and killing it (Compies) or flying inside it's body and killing it (Dimorphs), the Devs proceeded to make the entire body of the Giga a hitbox. 

So the devs have done this stuff before, they just don't do it to underwater mounts for the same reason the underwater issues/biome is overly neglected. No one cares about it because no one lives there (Of course some people do, and they, by extent, are neglected, but the devs kinda don't care at this point). 

Exaaaaaaaaactly. 

Guest BubbaCrawfish
17 minutes ago, Melcreif said:

Are you sure about that? Here's what the patch notes say: 

• Speed buff gained from Oxygen stat on dinos decreased by 80%.

Do you even read what you put?

What you've quoted says "Speed buff" gained from oxygen "DECREASED" by "80%"...

Like, that has made it slower to swim...

2 minutes ago, Melcreif said:

Yep, but you didn't...

Oxygen stat on dinos... We were talking about Oxygen stats on your character man not dino's...

Still waiting to hear an explanation of why 50 points in Oxygen doesn't let me outswim anything. I do kind of live on the bottom of the ocean, and not being able to get around without flippers, while rare, is pretty bloody annoying. 

Archived