ASA Crash Poll: nVidia vs AMD vs Other GPUs

psionprime

ASA Crash Poll: nVidia vs AMD vs Other GPUs  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you crash often with nVidia, AMD or some other GPU ?

• nVidia
    • AMD
    • Other

I have a theory that those with nVidia GPUs crash the most. My wife has a i3-10100, 8G RAM, GTX1660 Super, 1920x1080, default game settings (sans motion blur and bloom) and crashes every half hour or so. I have a 7950x3D, 32G RAM, 7900XTX,  3440x1440 (sans motion blur and bloom) and have never crashed in ASA.

There are a lot of various arguments about the cause(s) for ASA crashes. This poll is just for what GPU you have. I haven't heard much from the Intel or Chinese GPU community with ASA issues, so am curious what you have if "Other" is picked.

Good Hunting !

PS

nVidia PC users, try using "-dx11" as a launch option. If that cures much of your crashes, petition nVidia to work with ASA devs to fix their dx12 driver. I put ASA on a new laptop with a nVidia 4090 and lasted about a minute before the shader crash. I moved my wife from 1660 super to a 3060Ti and it had crashes at launch. I used the "-dx11" launch option on both and, viola, no crashes since. My AMD 7900XTx system has,still, never crashed.

Update 2023-12-21 - I managed to get my 6900 XTX, 7950x3D using just the extra cached cores all AMD system to crash. I tried the new driver "Hyper-RX" mode and it crashed inside a minute with, ironically, a nVidia dx12 set of error messages that my wife's nVidia machine often gets. I put it back to quality with only anti-lag and enhanced sync options enabled and now no more crashes. A lot of this thread suggests issues with DX12 nVidia common code.

I start with native resolution 3440x1440; fullscreen; Epic preset; resolution scale 100; max framerate, motion blur, light bloom unchecked. I get about 60 fps +/- 30 ish

I personally run with console variables:

(turning off volumetric fog/clouds gets rid of the pixelated ick)
r.VolumetricFog 0
r.VolumetricCloud 0
(DOF off keeps things sharp in the distance. I see obelisk detail on a clear day as I expect it to be)

r.DepthofFieldQuality 0
(this was suggested for a crash. I don't think it matters on my system but here for reference)
ark.VertexCountScaling 1

Edited by psionprime
update

The poll doesn't have enough options to help us get any info out of it unfortunately. It should have at least 4 options. (AMD, few crashes. AMD, many crashes, Nvidia few crashes, Nvidia many crashes.) Then you have to qualify what counts as few crashes.

I'm on an AMD graphics card and I've got about 1 crash every 20 hours of gameplay if I had to guess. Not too bad for me. But if it crashed as much as some people claim I'd be piiiiiiissed. 

• Like 1

i had a serious issue crashing repeatedly upon trying to launch into a server.  it was suggested to me to open the nvidea control pannel and change the GPU setting from auto and manually select the GPU you wanted it to use.  this has solved my issue and i have not had one crash since.

thought i'd share my experience.

nVidia PC users, try using "-dx11" as a launch option. If that cures much of your crashes, petition nVidia to work with ASA devs to fix their dx12 driver. I put ASA on a new laptop with a nVidia 4090 and lasted about a minute before the shader crash. I moved my wife from 1660 super to a 3060Ti and it had crashes at launch. I used the "-dx11" launch option on both and, viola, no crashes since. My AMD 7900XTx system has,still, never crashed.

Edited by psionprime

21 minutes ago, psionprime said:

It's a good idea, but it doesn't work for me. My framerate dropped to an unplayable 20-40 (it was 60-110) and there were some graphical glitches, like most parts of the obelisks not being visible.

On the plus side, it didn't crash. RTX3080 here.

Edited by zero064

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/24/2023 at 8:49 PM, psionprime said:

all that does for me on my 4080 is reduce frames toi about 20fps , 

17 minutes ago, Wycked said:

Both. Wife has a 6750xt and I have a 4070ti. They both crash.

do u crash when loading into game ? and when playing after successful load in ?

i have updated my bios , i have tweaked all setting in bios for maximum effcciency , i have tried all fixes online , same result over and over , until wildcard and nvidia fix whatever is broken it wont change , 

lets just keep pumping out small fixes and event mods

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, udo said:

ANNOYING that players post not crashing on older hardware , steaM deck runs fine ,my 7 year old GAMING laptop , with tweaks runs fine no crashes , my new high end i9 4080 crashes due to driver errors

New is not always better. 

On 12/21/2023 at 10:43 AM, udo said:

do u crash when loading into game ? and when playing after successful load in ?

i have updated my bios , i have tweaked all setting in bios for maximum effcciency , i have tried all fixes online , same result over and over , until wildcard and nvidia fix whatever is broken it wont change , 

lets just keep pumping out small fixes and event mods

Yes. We both crash at game loading and while playing. It's not often, maybe 1-2 times every couple of days though. If we open the game settings it is a guarantee that it will crash.

I don't think the poll itself has much merit. It's going to be heavily skewed towards Nvidia, just by virtue of Nvidia being the most popular GPU series.

I will say that "ark.VertexCountScaling 1" eliminated maybe 99% of my in-game crashes, which were mostly happening when accessing (or especially, exiting) any inventory screen. I can play for hours with out any crashes after that command, regardless of ANY other settings.

Edit to say, RTX 3060 TI (8GB) GPU.

Edited by TargetOne
Add GPU info