Favorite map and why?

azureskies1

Scorched Earth has a soft spot in my heart because it was the map my friend and I first started making real progress on. We played on the island for a year or more just being beach bobs and learning how to play the game, so when we “got gud” we wanted more of a challenge and a change of scenery.

Scorched was where we created the tribe name we still use to this day, it’s where I got my first mutation and mutation stacks, and the manticore was the first boss I ever fought outside of creative mode. 

Aberration

Abridged - It's Avatar and I love science fiction/speculative biology and aliens taken to reality as well as nocturnal glow in the dark environments. The only reason I don't base in it is because it's a pain to get out of for map transfers and it's isolated to its own pool of creatures.

A labor of love map dedicated to Ab to bring an expanded version of its concepts would be amazing but it'll probably never happen cause not many others love it as much as I do, plus the only one true way to get Rock Drakes is Ab and Fjordur makes everything too easy/accessible and such for me. I crave challenge and at the same time the ability to symbiosis with the environment.

On 9/19/2023 at 6:53 AM, DirkInSA said:

Rag because I played while it was still being built (with areas of the map marked as "off limits"). It was the most exciting period I have ever had playing Ark. And to this day, I think Rag is the best designed, lots to see, most fun and most balanced map out there.

Yeah exploring the new biomes was so fun, tamed my first rock golem on there

• 3 weeks later...

Lost Island is simply beautiful. with so many beautiful biomes and landscapes, so many beautiful places to build and the temples and fortresses are also incredible. I'm so glad this map was officially added because it totally deserved it. Sometimes it makes me feel like playing Ragnarok years ago, it has a lot of similarities.

Aberration because music....

Seriously, though, the whole atmosphere of aberration is sublime.  The flying restriction adds depth to the gameplay that gets washed out on other maps as soon as flying is achieved.  Despite that, getting around in aberration doesn't feel like a chore.  And...MUSIC....

Ragnarok because it was my first map I played on multiplayer. I know that map like the back of my hand. I could ride a non flyer comfortably to any side of the map. I like to run around on Yutys and Theris. I always start in the highlands and tame an Equus then roam around nomadically until I get enough supplies to tame a ptera. Then I build in the Redwoods which is my fav biome. Its only scary if you don't have all the Thyla spawns memorized. 😄

• Like 1

Rag, altho it doesn't have the convenience factor of fjordur, for multiplayer it's my no.1 by quite a way. It's huge, so much space. Feels like a real world 'cos the biomes are spaced out. Feels well thought through. My main base has always been on Rag since it released, even when it was unfinished it was my fav.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1