Community Crunch 373: Yi Ling Concept Art, Creature Submissions, and More!

StudioWildcard

On 8/7/2023 at 1:23 PM, Duffmek said:

thats the thing though i believe it was DLC extinction when cryopods and fridges got introduced and if WC keep it as that for re-releasing it then omg arrgggghhhhh, similar to maewings ..... all are a massive QOL adjustment.

Strictly speaking, there is a way to get rid of Maweings: just follow nature. I mean, we have 3 basic types of mothers in nature:

1) Drop the eggs and go away. Turtles are a good example. Baby fends for himself.

2) Lay the eggs and keep around, to take care of the babies. A lot of creatures do this.

3) Give birth and keep around, to take care of the babies. We mammals do this. Several others too.

Even ASE could do this way: we already have all the mechanics in place.

1) Babies already follow someone. The problem of it following the mother is already solved.

2) We already have feeding troughs. The Maweing is just a live one. Use the same logic on the mother, and the baby is fed.

3) We already have mammals giving birth, so this part is done.

There. Got rid of Maewing, did not impact QOL and got rid of the breeding mechanic that turned the game into a job. It should be fun and a challenge, not an obligation.

Same thing for "Oh my god, we will have wild babies!"

We could have them already. All the mechanics are already implemented on the game - You just breed the baby and change the human for its mother. Done.

8 hours ago, KingOfAshes said:

Well, they have effectively delayed ARK2 for like 4yrs so what's a one year delay for ASA from their perspective, right? Then again, they did switch over the release to 'early access' meaning they could theoretically pump out a buggy mess running at 15fps, sure. However, given Ark is the only money maker in the portfolio, I'm not sure they'd risk it shipping it as an unplayable mess just to hit the holiday window alongside other major heavy hitters. In fact, that's partly why I can't see an October release given the heavy hitters that will start releasing around that time. A Feb-August release is less cluttered and more likely to have a semi stable game ready by then. They might sugar coat the pill for a longer delay saying SE will again be part of the launch. Alas, this is all off topic now I guess

actually, yours is good logic.

On 8/10/2023 at 3:11 AM, KingOfAshes said:

However, given Ark is the only money maker in the portfolio, I'm not sure they'd risk shipping it as an unplayable mess just to hit the holiday window alongside other major heavy hitters.

Considering some of their practices as of the last few years they probably would. I mean hey, cdprojekt red did more or less the same thing with cyberpunk and were able to bounce back because they released a Netflix series a few years later. With an ark series supposedly still in the works they might try for a similar thing in a shorter time window: release a half baked product for holiday sales, weather the storm of outrage for a bit by plugging their ears (like they always do), release the series along with a few fixes to try and rake in the cash from new blood because it’ll be more in the public eye and the newcomers attracted by the series won’t know of its history. Depending on the release window they won’t even have to fear returns from at least the Pc crowd that much since if people wait until Christmas to purchase they’ll likely be too preoccupied with family gatherings or shopping in general to get a refund within the time most online game distributors allow a return.

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2023 at 4:27 PM, CervantesMor said:

that's who writes the Community Crounch :D:D

... ehhhhhh, you like to win easy !?! ;) mhuhahahah

PS: they have to do it by Christmas... they won't lose that favorable period of earnings, Snail Games will force their hand... rather they will give us half the Island mhuhahahahahaha

😀

thats 'early access' ...... :P

On 8/10/2023 at 4:24 PM, PaleoGamer said:

Strictly speaking, there is a way to get rid of Maweings: just follow nature. I mean, we have 3 basic types of mothers in nature:

1) Drop the eggs and go away. Turtles are a good example. Baby fends for himself.

2) Lay the eggs and keep around, to take care of the babies. A lot of creatures do this.

3) Give birth and keep around, to take care of the babies. We mammals do this. Several others too.

Even ASE could do this way: we already have all the mechanics in place.

1) Babies already follow someone. The problem of it following the mother is already solved.

2) We already have feeding troughs. The Maweing is just a live one. Use the same logic on the mother, and the baby is fed.

3) We already have mammals giving birth, so this part is done.

There. Got rid of Maewing, did not impact QOL and got rid of the breeding mechanic that turned the game into a job. It should be fun and a challenge, not an obligation.

Same thing for "Oh my god, we will have wild babies!"

We could have them already. All the mechanics are already implemented on the game - You just breed the baby and change the human for its mother. Done.

You do Realise that the maewing is much more than a 'living food trough'? it also feeds ALL the babies that we place in and around it with the correct food stored inside it ,  apart from a rare few, wyverns come to mind, also some babies we can already just let them roam and fend for themselves, rollrats for instance.

Otherwise u LITTERALY have to HAND feed most dinos till juve stage which at 'normal rates' (not the easy rates we have now) was a flippin nightmare let alone planning mating times / days around dinos if you was in a small group of players .... 

cyropods, maewings and incubators where a dam godsend more breeding less time intensive hence a huge QOL take them nice new tools away and well, it will be a nightmare again :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Duffmek said:

You do Realise that the maewing is much more than a 'living food trough'? it also feeds ALL the babies that we place in and around it with the correct food stored inside it ,  apart from a rare few, wyverns come to mind, also some babies we can already just let them roam and fend for themselves, rollrats for instance.

Otherwise u LITTERALY have to HAND feed most dinos till juve stage which at 'normal rates' (not the easy rates we have now) was a flippin nightmare let alone planning mating times / days around dinos if you was in a small group of players .... 

cyropods, maewings and incubators where a dam godsend more breeding less time intensive hence a huge QOL take them nice new tools away and well, it will be a nightmare again :D

What about fenrir?help a lot when raise rockdrakes and wyverns

2 hours ago, Duffmek said:

Yes, I do realize this. I'm using them myself - only way to breed something and don't become a slave to the game.

You do realize that the Maewings ARE a living feed through, right? It's exactly the same mechanic: you put the creature food in it, and every creature in range (babies, on Maewing's case) eat through it. Exactly the same.

Yes, one can transport 4 babies with it, and steal other's tribes too. But, really, the "feeding" part could (should?) be offloaded to the parents.

I agree with You points about incubators and cryopods too: they are a must for anyone doing breeding. I would even say that cryopods are a must for everyone else too: best way to keep your base "small", organized and needing less food. Not to mention when someone playing solo will go away for some time: cryo everything, let the generator running and problem solved.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PaleoGamer said:

Yes, I do realize this. I'm using them myself - only way to breed something and don't become a slave to the game.

You do realize that the Maewings ARE a living feed through, right? It's exactly the same mechanic: you put the creature food in it, and every creature in range (babies, on Maewing's case) eat through it. Exactly the same.

Yes, one can transport 4 babies with it, and steal other's tribes too. But, really, the "feeding" part could (should?) be offloaded to the parents.

I agree with You points about incubators and cryopods too: they are a must for anyone doing breeding. I would even say that cryopods are a must for everyone else too: best way to keep your base "small", organized and needing less food. Not to mention when someone playing solo will go away for some time: cryo everything, let the generator running and problem solved.

The one thing different with the maewing is you can slot cap a maewing with the preferred food for the baby, ya can’t do that with any else, or even the baby you’re feeding.  I definitely see your point though.  It is an absolutely necessity for cryopods above everything else.  As an official player, I will probably stay on for awhile after ASA comes out, and i ain’t raising a freaking giga even on 2x rates, that’s still a 14 hour handfeed!  Yeah, uh Huh, no freakin way.

Cryopods have also done amazingly in cleaning up bases by organizing, shrinking and making over all renders smoother.  Which is why I was surprised that Dollie tweeted that they were debating on not not having cryopods available at the launch of ASA, which is bafflingly stupid.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ccz2887 said:

The one thing different with the maewing is you can slot cap a maewing with the preferred food for the baby, ya can’t do that with any else, or even the baby you’re feeding.

Cryopods have also done amazingly in cleaning up bases by organizing, shrinking and making over all renders smoother.  Which is why I was surprised that Dollie tweeted that they were debating on not not having cryopods available at the launch of ASA, which is bafflingly stupid.

Of course You can: the feeding through. Yes, i know: babies don't eat from them. Remember that I said to use this mechanic on the parent? Yes. Just do it. Slot cap the parent with the food needed. It will act as a Maewing for its young. All the code is already in place - it's used on the Maewings!

And, Yes: I don't know how someone can live without the cryos. I must have more than 200 tames freezed - most of them from the breeding program, but several are my "production" tames. I just keep them frozen to save food, space and work.

Really I don't know why someone would even consider getting rid of this.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PaleoGamer said:

Of course You can: the feeding through. Yes, i know: babies don't eat from them. Remember that I said to use this mechanic on the parent? Yes. Just do it. Slot cap the parent with the food needed. It will act as a Maewing for its young. All the code is already in place - it's used on the Maewings!

I like this idea, it's pretty great.

From my understanding, however, I believe they changed/made the new Gigantoraptor to mimic what Maewings can do (plus more). I think it is meant to be a "replacement" until Gen2 brings back the "real" Maewings.

I could be wrong of course, but it really seemed that way from what I was reading about it (even though I was hoping more for a dino that imprints for you/tribe if you aren't able to be around).

• Thanks 1

I like Yi as a dinosaur, but I don’t like it being big to be honest, I think there’s charm in it being smaller in my opinion. I know that the whole thing behind Ark is that they aren’t the real species (hence Yi Ling instead of Yi Qi) so I’m usually fine with it, but I just prefer it being smaller.

• 3 weeks later...