What is the best starter creature on the island?

Arcadeslade752

Whenever I start a new world I always wonder what i'm going to tame first. I have many reasons for my choices but these are what I think are the best ones.

1. Giga - Easy day 1 tame, just needs a bola and berries

2. Lystro - Can solo a rex when buffed 100 times into melee

3. Mesopithicus - It throws poo and then you can pick it up and eat it for extra nutrients. 👍

4. Alpha dragon - Simple passive tame berry eater

5. Gigantopithicus - Monke

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2023 at 11:56 PM, Somes said:

Silly answers aside...it depends on the area you start in but for the Island map I think my top 3 starters are:

1. Trike
  2. Sarco
  3. Ptera

As for non mounts:

1. Dilo

There is no real first to tame creature. It really just depends whats there to tame for me.
Its the proper execution of utility thats going to make the difference.
You will need something that: Gathers and holds the berries, Protects and kills for meat and hide, something to travel.

If I would start fresh now. I would do a noterun on foot, and actually start playing from lvl 70-80ish.
Then there is no problem getting the engram for Flyers, no real problems to evade further dangerous land animals. I will level up movement to 140+
No need to focus on thatch base, or even wood. Because you can skip to stone engrams etc. Also level up weight to like 200+ so you can take equipment and traps with you etc

After I did a noterun, I would probably spawn North 2, because the metal is close and acces to Smugglers pass. So: anky-doedi, argy, Rex, better drops. No need to traverse swamp before hitting Redwoods. -> Thyla, Bears.
Make a 4x4 little thatch base, to be able to stock up, have a bed. Spear things for hide and meat. Craft Nacros, arrows.
Then I would bring down a bunch of Dimos and in the meanwhile tame A trike/Parasaur for berries and some Raptors, and a Ptera most of all. Pack of Dimos + Raptors = Your base surroundings secured. (watch for Theris; Kill on sight unless you got the time and mats to focus on taming one) With the Ptera, all Flyers will be gamechanging. With flyers you can lure tames into traps. Evade predators. Piece of Cake...
After that, In random order I'd go for:
Metal -> Anky
Stone -> Doedi
Theri -> Wood/Thatch/Fiber
Thyla -> Caves/Alphas
Argy -> Weight

Then Grind up some metal and start looking for Rex and Saddles...

----

If you are a Beach Bob. I would suggest taming a Parasaur. You are going to need their weight. Its going to help you settle. They will gather your berries. They are like a 15m tame so just do it :)
DONT tame the mochops. Kill them, they are good XP. Tame a flock of Dimos instead. They gonna protect you and take you down Diplos, snakes, for prime meat. Follow you anywhere. After that, Sarco can be a real good option. They manage on their own. And if you manage to get to lvl 35 you can already ride it and use the rivers as an highway. So you can travel pretty fast etc.

---

Utility:
The berries: Trike/Parasaur/Iguanodon
The agressor: The Dimos, Sarco, Pack of raptors, Iguanodon*
Travel: Sarco, Iguanodon, Pteranodon*