Are we getting Offline Raid Protected servers in survival ascended?

AngryMoose

I hope we get orp. Maybe even an improved orp mode. It would also be nice to extend the concept and combine with other modes, i personally would like to see a mode that is more orientated at what ark used to be long ago, like an ark original cluster with orp. I know many pvp players would enjoy the game without all of that newer stuff that ruined it for many.

Either way, wildcard has to share such information sooner rather than later if they want to convince ppl to spend those 60$. As of now i see zero reason to buy it.

• Thanks 1

@StudioWildcard Any news on this? Either in it's original form or as @acat suggests expanding the concept to other game modes? Since all of the original servers are closing down are you going to just bring up all of the same clusters in the same game modes in ASA so we know where to go to meet our old communities? That would be pretty nice.

ORP would be great in ASA. However, they need to significantly improve the ORP from ASE. I haven't played them in a bit but in the past there were people using alts to block caves on every server constantly. Yeah it was bannable but people still did it and it's hard to get screenshots of the outside door vs who lives inside the cave so must of them got away with it. Plenty of other issues with current ORP too but that's prolly the big one.

6 hours ago, AngryMoose said:

@StudioWildcard Any news on this? Either in it's original form or as @acat suggests expanding the concept to other game modes? Since all of the original servers are closing down are you going to just bring up all of the same clusters in the same game modes in ASA so we know where to go to meet our old communities? That would be pretty nice.

WC doesn't reply on the forums, they never have and they never will.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Tylanater said:

ORP would be great in ASA. However, they need to significantly improve the ORP from ASE. I haven't played them in a bit but in the past there were people using alts to block caves on every server constantly. Yeah it was bannable but people still did it and it's hard to get screenshots of the outside door vs who lives inside the cave so must of them got away with it. Plenty of other issues with current ORP too but that's prolly the big one.

I completely agree the alt blocking situation is terrible, easily fixed if they hire any kind of gm that could respond to reports. I still would rather have ORP in it's current state than none personally. It's just completely gutting to log in after a long days grind to find everything gone again with zero means of stopping it.

I love PvP in ark, it's actually loads of fun defending your base, just not when I'm offline.

• Thanks 1

• Volunteer Moderator
11 minutes ago, AngryMoose said:

Is there any way to get hold of community managers or anyone that can actually let us know what's going on or are they just closed to the public?

Twitter is your best bet. Maybe Discord.

They've all been historically quiet these days though. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, AngryMoose said:

Is there any way to get hold of community managers or anyone that can actually let us know what's going on or are they just closed to the public?

Yeah, they know that no matter what they say the people who are angry about ASA being a scam will start replying with questions, complaints and accusations, so they've chosen to just be silent rather than face the music.

• Sad 1

On 6/15/2023 at 11:37 PM, AngryMoose said:

I completely agree the alt blocking situation is terrible, easily fixed if they hire any kind of gm that could respond to reports. I still would rather have ORP in it's current state than none personally. It's just completely gutting to log in after a long days grind to find everything gone again with zero means of stopping it.

I love PvP in ark, it's actually loads of fun defending your base, just not when I'm offline.

I would join offline raid protection again in a heartbeat if they changed just one thing.

It needs to implement the same mechanic in PvE, that makes artifact caves and other crucial resource locations unbuildable locations. Whether the person is cheating with an alt or not should not matter. It's extremely frustrating to have your progress in the game halted because some random who only plays 30 minutes a day decides to block one the artifact locations, or even one of the obelisk terminals. 

I guarantee you that if ORP is left in its current state the majority of the artifact caves will be inaccessible by the end of day 1. They absolutely must make these locations non build zones. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/18/2023 at 2:33 PM, Logan96 said:

I would join offline raid protection again in a heartbeat if they changed just one thing.

It needs to implement the same mechanic in PvE, that makes artifact caves and other crucial resource locations unbuildable locations. Whether the person is cheating with an alt or not should not matter. It's extremely frustrating to have your progress in the game halted because some random who only plays 30 minutes a day decides to block one the artifact locations, or even one of the obelisk terminals. 

I guarantee you that if ORP is left in its current state the majority of the artifact caves will be inaccessible by the end of day 1. They absolutely must make these locations non build zones. 

Yep thats another of the huge issues with ORP. One troll can block anyone from getting artifacts, not to mention an alpha tribe can prevent anyone from ever being able to compete with them by blocking them off.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tylanater said:

Yep thats another of the huge issues with ORP. One troll can block anyone from getting artifacts, not to mention an alpha tribe can prevent anyone from ever being able to compete with them by blocking them off.

Yep Yep. I will say though that before I cared about the bosses and such ORP was my jam. That feeling of being vulnerable and needing to build defenses is totally there still, but being able to actually get some fortification going before the first raid as always nice.

In my experience the turrets never helped much against the max level stego riders, but with ASA being a fresh wipe...who knows what a small tribe may accomplish on a level playing field. 

I never had an issue with artifact caves being blocked, but i guess that was partly because my group owned them, had connections to the ones owning them, or because later on there were enough alternatives like crystal isles to get the artifacts from. I definitely see the point tho for the fresh start on ASA. It would be incredibly easy to orp block several caves and deny or control any progress of other tribes. Preventing bulding in them could work, i am not a fan of the cave meta anyways, but some more balance changes might have to be made then (they have to be made anyways imo). But when discussing this we shouldnt forget that wildcard said they would rebalance cave entrances (whatever that means).

The most important orp-specific changes id like to see are these tho: The ORP system we have in ASE provides permanent and complete prevention of any damage to creatures and structures. This leads to several kinds of exploits or unpleasant gameplay. For example, people place spam with an alt tribe to block others from fobbing up or claiming a certain base spot. I have also experienced people who stopped playing, but kept their bases up by logging in once a week, doing that for years without ever playing and progressing, denying any other tribe to use that base location. All these things are hard to deal with, since it is very unlikely to be online and notice when the owner of those perma orp structures comes online to refresh the decay timer. It could be at any time within a 7-20 days window (depending on the type of stuff) and only takes 5 minutes plus the 15 minute timer until orp kicks back in. And it is not only annoying for the players, it is also time consuming for the support to deal with all the tickets about those things and to investigate which structures are legit and which are not.

Suggestion: In the first five (or maybe less) days after a tribe logs out, the ORP system provides full protection, like the current system works. In the following five days, creatures and structures take 1/20th of the normal damage. In the five days after that, they take 1/10th of regular damage. After those 15 days, everything takes normal damage, as if the tribe was online. After 20 days even structures of the highest building tier should decay, basically as it is with tek already (except for some reason tek troughs and dedies with 80 days).

Such a system could make it way harder for abusing tribes to maintain parma orp structures, and at the same time it gets easier for other tribes to catch them refreshing or to deal with the issue themselves as soon as stuff can take damage again. The 15 minute timer until orp kicks in might also have to be adjusted, in ASE it is a bit too short in my opinion, it is still viable for bigger tribes to just log out instead of defending their base. Additionally, pin codes should stop working on orp structures, or be removed alltogether in the orp mode, and personal ownership should not be allowed at all (both open up easy methods for living in invincible bases and serve little to no purpose).

• 1 month later...

now

Will we get Offline raid potection on Asa I loved the fact that u could only get raided online and ppl couldn’t just wait for you to go off or cage u to raid u and allows ppl who actually have a life and a job to do what they want and not be scared to get offLined when they go work or doing something I really do hope we get orp beacuse when I used to play them I met some good people and mega tribes on them servers would allways help u please wildcard add them again 🙂

3 hours ago, Voidtoker said:

ORP is PVE.

So what, PvP is almost never PvP anyway, it's really PvB (player vs. base). Most so-called "raiding" is really just breaking and entering when people are offline, that's not PvP in any true sense.

Trying to debate whether ORP is PvP or PvE is a silly pointless debate, other people want it whether you do or not. If you don't want it that's fine, you don't have to, but other people to it's not your business to tell them otherwise.

3 hours ago, Voidtoker said:

ORP is a joke and can be exploited to no end.

Yup, just like PvP is a joke and can be exploited to no end. Welcome to ARK.

2 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

So what, PvP is almost never PvP anyway, it's really PvB (player vs. base). Most so-called "raiding" is really just breaking and entering when people are offline, that's not PvP in any true sense.

Trying to debate whether ORP is PvP or PvE is a silly pointless debate, other people want it whether you do or not. If you don't want it that's fine, you don't have to, but other people to it's not your business to tell them otherwise.

Yup, just like PvP is a joke and can be exploited to no end. Welcome to ARK.

Thanks for the chuckle. I always get a laugh out of a pve person’s take 👍 

From my PvP experience at least on small tribes it was mostly PvB. I would like to see a change to the PvP meta to encourage more PvP raids. Something to discourage cave building. Maybe a full ban on cave building 🤔 and I’d like to see a version of ORP where perhaps turrets do 3 or 4 times damage when offline and structures take 3 or 4 times less damage. 

• 2 months later...