Community Crunch 365: ASA Structure Comparison, Creature Vote, and More!

StudioWildcard

Wow, this makes me even more excited for ASA! I'm so happy to see the wonderful changes to both the wood and stone building structures. They look a lot cleaner and more spacious. (they were kind of cramped before) The lighting looks better too. So glad to see the actual half triangles some of us have been asking about, for a very long time! I look forward to creating fun new buildings with these awesome changes. Thank you so much!!

this is beyond pathetic. 1.5 months till release and these goofy comparison photos that aren't even accurate considering the fabricator doesnt even fit in this situation is all they have to show still. not even 1 10 second video yet. i swear ARK never fails to disappoint. considering every single thing they have ever done has been delayed do not keep your hopes up. this game has been the worst managed game i've ever played. one of our beta bases got meshed by chinese hackers and they did absolutely nothing about it besides be late and ban an account that was already banned by the time they reached my ticket. tons of stuff gone like items and cryos. whats hilarous is i still even found an old fob from the cheaters with tons of items in the transmitter they didnt take so they didnt even look beyond the coords i gave them even though their was sleeping pods at the fob with the same tribe name as the sleeping bags in the mesh. this game along with the people who run it and admin it are an absolute joke. i stopped playing 2 weeks ago after seeing how much they dont help the actual victims in a case of meshing. the meshers even came back WITH THE SAME TRIBE NAME and continued to attack the other base. they even said accounts are only 1$ (which everyone knows) and said they will be back no matter what just because fjordur is a meshing joke(I even included a screenshot of that exact chat). the level of incompetence is a pathetic joke and this game is now dead to me. just wanted to vent lmao.

Edited by dgkforlife
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Diabolos said:

If they do utilize nanite for bases, there's both a technical and simple answer.

Simple answer, yes.

Technical answer, no. Your base will load at the same speed, if not slower than before... only the bits that are closer to you will load in finer details faster. You won't hit a lag wall when trying to render large bases, because the rough outlines will load first, and then quality will improve as your comp has more time to render it, which is how Nanite works. So basically, your base will "be there" a lot faster, and you probably won't notice it and think it loaded super fast.

Think of it like a paper crane, and your GPU needs to fold it and then present it to you. Originally, your GPU would turn around and fold most of it before even letting you see it. Now, the GPU will do most of it in front of you, and making the details that you're bound to notice first the fastest. Viola, computer science!

Well, the drawing part already works - for a given value of "works". i mean, it is smooth here and runs without lags or jumps. No, the problem isn't drawing - it's rendering.

Example 1 (easier to see with a flyer):

When I get back to my base, I see first the tames - floating in the air. More than this: I see them tilted, and then get set upright, when the render (not the drawing) is completed. The rest of the base (wall, ceilings, floors) is rendered bit by bit. And this has nothing to do with textures - after all, after the first (say) ceiling tile is rendered, it's already on the GPU VRAM. And we see them being rendered in batches. It's like the server is doing it by bit, for some reason. It is NOT CPU bound - I checked, and the CPU usage was bellow 40% on the core running the world thread.

Example 2:

When we enter the game, or when we teleport from one bed to another. The area near You is already rendered - but not what is beyond a door. Open it, walk and You can see your player falling, and the game rushing to render that small area. Run, and You keep "falling", the game keep rushing to draw that small area - and everything else isn't rendered yet.

Again: CPU to spare. Memory to spare. GPU usage bellow 80%, and less than 70% of VRAM used.

I don't know if this is some developer error or if it is a UE 4.x limitation. Looking at newer games, running UE 5.x, I know it isn't an engine issue anymore - if it ever were.

So, what I'm saying is this: I hope they fix this - because now the engine can definitely cope with the load.

26 minutes ago, Diabolos said:

It's not that simple...

First off... The way the game works is of network replication and server authority. That means everything you do isn't really being done on your PC, it's being done on the server. The reason you don't see yourself rubber banding or stuttering everywhere due to lag is due to network prediction, where your client lets you move as though it was authoritative, and unless it's outside what the server would deem an acceptable delta (difference) it gets registered, otherwise you get booted/banned/flagged/rubber banded.

That being said, everything on the server is not constantly being processed at once. It's only being processed in small chunks, that are currently within active players experiences (Otherwise referred to render distance). When you load things up in render distance, the server needs to pull that data into the ram for active processing.

The above step can take time, and quite frequently has priorities, for example, tames > buildings > eggs > foliage, etc. and it isn't necessarily a priority in terms of player perspective but rather data structure perspective.

They did say they were re-working the code though, so shrug. Personally, I would let the client run prediction on buildings and let the server correct. (In this instance, say your base was raided... you would load up your base, then some walls would disappear, your vaults, etc... and hopefully faster than it takes you to even reach that part of your base).

I better not take it myself.  And that's just a micron of all client-server communication.  Confirming this, we notice that when we log in we have dc, it is this micron responsible for rendering that gives us inputs.  As the previous speaker described all this, the calculations are in Ram, and RAM goes on strike when it is overloaded with information.  If UE5 requires a better hardware generation for the client then what about the servers?  I think WC/SG will use their old official servos.  But are they efficient enough not to die during the first logins to ASA and efficient enough for UE5?  There were (are and will be) problems with UE4.

You will not say that UE5 is so light that you can put it on any machine and it will handle this amount of data.

I didn't delve into the UE5 engine because I didn't see the point, maybe it's time to analyze some information ;)

Edited by Noffek

17 minutes ago, hbomb1972 said:

For the last couple months, could you unlock transfers for tributes, or element. That way we can power our tek gens for the rest of the time until server shutdown, or at least make boss fights more accessible.

It's a good idea.  He could have made it possible when he announced the shutdown of the servers, but why didn't he?  Apparently, I don't want those who still buy ASE not to be too easy to discourage them from the game for the facilities available just before the closure of the servers, of which half of the buyers may not even be aware of this fact.  By the way, the new ones have good karma from the massively decaying bases anyway.  And that's just because the servers are shutting down.  The players run away

• Volunteer Moderator
On 6/10/2023 at 6:47 AM, Noffek said:

I have a strange impression on the last crunch I observed no less positive posts from people with a zero post.  All of them briefly describe the exquisiteness of the graphics.  It looks triche as if the positives were loaded.

Although your observation is valid, the reason for these accounts is because people want to vote in the Community Creature Submissions. Therefore they are simply trying to be active on the forum to become eligible to vote.

Nothing more than that, and nothing related to the content of the Crunch. But I can see why someone might think otherwise.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Diabolos said:

It's not that simple...

First off... The way the game works is of network replication and server authority. That means everything you do isn't really being done on your PC, it's being done on the server. The reason you don't see yourself rubber banding or stuttering everywhere due to lag is due to network prediction, where your client lets you move as though it was authoritative, and unless it's outside what the server would deem an acceptable delta (difference) it gets registered, otherwise you get booted/banned/flagged/rubber banded.

That being said, everything on the server is not constantly being processed at once. It's only being processed in small chunks, that are currently within active players experiences (Otherwise referred to render distance). When you load things up in render distance, the server needs to pull that data into the ram for active processing.

The above step can take time, and quite frequently has priorities, for example, tames > buildings > eggs > foliage, etc. and it isn't necessarily a priority in terms of player perspective but rather data structure perspective.

They did say they were re-working the code though, so shrug. Personally, I would let the client run prediction on buildings and let the server correct. (In this instance, say your base was raided... you would load up your base, then some walls would disappear, your vaults, etc... and hopefully faster than it takes you to even reach that part of your base).

Well, it is that simple. I mean, either the whole process works fast enough or it doesn't. And, at the moment, it isn't - since more than 30 seconds just to finish the initial rendering of a base isn't good enough.

Yes, I know it's the server task to do this - and I was talking about it, when said the CPU had cycles to spare. No, it is not a network problem - I run a dedicated sever on another machine, on the same gigabit subnet my desktop is in.

Yes, You are correct in saying the server is doing it in chunks. Problem is: it takes too long to process each chunk. No, I am not talking about render distance. The problem I described affects even the floor we are walking over - so, no render distance to speak of. And I mean floor, not ground - the ground works ok as far as I know.

I do hope they are really reworking this, since it's quite annoying. Not to mention the babies getting stuck on the ground - some of them I can only get out of the spot by cryopoding. And this is not a speed rendering problem, since it doesn't correct itself given enough time.

42 minutes ago, GP said:

Although your observation is valid, the reason for these accounts is because people want to vote in the Community Creature Submissions. Therefore they are simply trying to be active on the forum to become eligible to vote.

Nothing more than that, and nothing related to the content of the Crunch. But I can see why someone might think otherwise.

These are just accounts created a few minutes ago.  And it's probably not because of reports about animals, which are also dishonest by such accounts.  They should be able to vote this way on a forum with a minimum number of embedded posts.  And at least in recent times it smells a bit of pulling up the positives.  Whether others share my opinion is their business, and you're right when you say, "But I understand why someone might think otherwise."  I have reasons for this seeing what is happening on the ASE servers and on the Forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Volunteer Moderator
8 minutes ago, Noffek said:

These are just accounts created a few minutes ago.  And it's probably not because of reports about animals, which are also dishonest by such accounts.  They should be able to vote this way on a forum with a minimum number of embedded posts.  And at least in recent times it smells a bit of pulling up the positives.  Whether others share my opinion is their business, and you're right when you say, "But I understand why someone might think otherwise."  I have reasons for this seeing what is happening on the ASE servers and on the Forum.

I can assure you there has been a lot of activity in the last 2 days of people coming to the forum to vote for creatures. Since Early Birds were disallowed recently from voting then all of these people are just trying to get out of Early Bird so that they can vote.

As I say I can understand why it may look like pulling up the positives, but I can assure you that you are looking in the wrong direction.

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2023 at 10:29 AM, Blackraptor2008 said:

I cant wait to see Gameplay content!!

Also, i think that the photos are a little bit altered, the original ase buildings are not that Big. A fabricator needs two foundations to be placed correctly. Also, It Will clip over the stairs. I understand that they want to show us that the new asa structures Will be bigger, but they have to put the original structures correctly 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Volunteer Moderator
4 minutes ago, Blackraptor2008 said:

Also, i think that the photos are a little bit altered, the original ase buildings are not that Big. A fabricator needs two foundations to be placed correctly. Also, It Will clip over the stairs. I understand that they want to show us that the new asa structures Will be bigger, but they have to put the original structures correctly 

This may explain the cause behind the different sizes for the fabricator, and possibly the map. It may not have been intentional or deceitful as some like to claim, may have just been an oversight.

1 hour ago, GP said:

This may explain the cause behind the different sizes for the fabricator, and possibly the map. It may not have been intentional or deceitful as some like to claim, may have just been an oversight.

Even if they do NOT do it on purpose, they should still show it in the future as it looks in the game.

After all, hardly any of us play in the devkit.

I really have a lot of patience with WC and the developers, but at least there they should please pay attention to a certain accuracy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Diabolos said:

You misunderstand. Think for example that your character has a bubble around it. That bubble has a radius of say 500 metres in game. Within those 500 meters, everything you see, and everything you don't, needs to get loaded into the server ram. That includes the floor under your feet.

It doesn't matter if the server is remote or local, the process to load the data is the same. The data structures do not change. The functions do not change. If your character and the floor it stands on load on two different threads, and aren't synchronized, there will be issues  such as falling through the world. This is a common problem with asynchronous loading, and most workarounds actually introduce more overhead and create more optimization problems.

The thing about programming, is that it's always a constant battle against technology. You're trying to fit your vision of how things should work within the confines of technological capacity. Sacrifices are constantly made in the scope of efficiency and optimization. If we had infinite computing capabilities, these issues likely wouldn't exist... but we don't, and they do.

Tech is constantly evolving, and ASA is supposedly trying to take advantage of it, so we will see... but from my understanding, unless they are literally ripping through every single c/c++ class, they aren't going to be able to nail everything down.

I'm sure they have a list of known issues, and are working to eliminate them. As to what is achievable though, we'll just need to wait and see.

Oh, I know about it. And I know it works (kinda) that way - I'm not disputing it.

What I am saying is I HOPE they solve it, because it is really bad. I'm also saying that I don't know if this problem in ASE is due to bad programming or engine limitation - but I know that UE5 works far better. We have new open world games that prove this. SO, I am also saying that even if this problem in ASE/UE4 is an engine limitation, it's no longer the case in ASA/UE5.

So, I do hope this goes away in ASA. Although I'm not holding my breath. The whole thing "it's free! Joking, it isn't!". "It's just a reskin! Joking, is a whole new game!" smells like manglement stepping in, and forcing a 180 direction change at the last minute.

I hope I'm wrong, but...

On 6/9/2023 at 7:58 PM, StudioWildcard said:

welcome_crunch2023-1.png

There is no place like home, and ARK: Survival Ascended will make sure yours looks better than ever! Our structures have undergone a stunning transformation. With their sleek redesign, these structures offer expanded interiors, providing ample space for your essential crafting tables like forges and fabricators. Whether you're aiming for a grand fortress or a cozy lakeside cottage, these structures will beautifully blend form and function, ensuring a delightful and practical living experience. Elevate your future dwellings and immerse yourself in the joy of returning to a home that will not only keep you safe but also offer so much storage space that you'll finally have room to store all those "I'll use it someday" items (we won't judge).

We're looking forward to sharing more ARK: Survival Ascended news and further reveals in the near future!

ASA_StructureComparison.png

ASA_Stone_Wood+Thatch.jpgASA_Stone_Base.jpg

Download in full resolution

creaturesubmissions.png

Ragnarok_Community_Creature_Vote.jpg

Let's dive into the second installment of our thrilling community voting contest - a fan-voted real-world creature that will launch with Ragnarok for ARK: Survival Ascended

Please note that this creature will be released for Ragnarok, so make sure your real-world submissions are in theme with that map! As previously stated, we’ll be adding an additional real-world creature for each expansion pack map release on ARK: Survival Ascended.

Check out the Creature Submission Guidelines for more information on the submission process, and hop over to the Creature Submission Forum to see the current entries. The entry period will end at 1 PM Pacific on June 12th, and the voting for the top 10 upvoted creatures will begin immediately after.  We are looking forward to seeing your ideas come to life!

conquest_s5_update.png

1538089036_conquest.jpg.133783d0941549f6

The Conquest Season is underway, and will be making a few changes and adding new maps next week.  
Check out the details below and stay tuned for more details!

s5_UPDATES.png

• New maps added: Aberration, Fjordur, and Extinction
    • New maps will be restricted to character download only
    • Items and creatures won't be transferable to those maps
  • All restrictions on TEK items will be lifted for the entire Conquest servers

evoeventblue.png

Ark_Evolution_Event_minimized.thumb.png.2d282a169df9bbbd0ba09a90303a7cec.png

Survivors on all platforms will be receiving an EVO Event! It will be active until Monday, June 12th.
All Official Servers across each platform will be undergoing this evolutionary change which includes:

*Note that these bonuses are multiplicative of the game's standard 1x rates.

Official Servers: 3x XP, Harvesting, Taming and Breeding (imprint, maturation, hatch/gestation), 0.5x Mating Interval, 2x hexagon
Small Tribe Servers: 4.5x XP, Harvesting, Taming and Breeding (imprint, maturation, hatch/gestation), 0.5x Mating Interval, 2x hexagon
ARKPocalypse: 5x XP, Harvesting, Taming and Breeding (imprint, maturation, hatch/gestation), 0.5x Mating Interval, 2x hexagon
Conquest: 5x XP, Harvesting, Taming and Breeding (imprint, maturation, hatch/gestation), 0.5x Mating Interval, 2x hexagon

COMMUNITY_CORNER.png

Fan Art Gallery | Screenshot Gallery | Artist Feedback Form

clipsandvideosblue.png

Creator: ARKitects

Star Wars meets ARK Survival Evolved! 

A squad of Stormtroopers investigates an anomaly on a distant planet. But their training has not prepared them for what hunts in the deep jungles of Jurassic Earth. Lost... Stranded... Marooned in an unfamiliar world, far from home and devoid of any hope, the group will have to fight for survival against unknown threats that lurk in the darkness.

Creator: Thyro

Thyro challenged himself to tame a Brontosaurus in one game day! Watch his very eventful day as he tackles this challenge.

fanartblue.png

Epilogues by @TekARK_01

large.ARK_CommunityCrunch_365_TekARK01_1

Raptor ride by @NalakBel

large.ARK_CommunityCrunch_365_NalakBel_1

Otter art by Saprom

large.ARK_CommunityCrunch_365_Saprom_192

Fire Wyvern by Ariz

large.ARK_CommunityCrunch_365_Ariz_1920x

Giganotosaurus by бом

large.1312406800_ARK_CommunityCrunch_365

Handmade doll Art: Deinonychus by sayvaris

large.ARK_CommunityCrunch_365_sayvaris_1

Shinehorn by @ebiflyyyy4

large.ARK_CommunityCrunch_365_ebiflyyyy4

acreenshotsblue.png

Asian Castle (Arkitect Structures - Atlas mod) by Red Mustang

large.ARK_CommunityCrunch_365_RedMustang

Titanosaur by 7HoursWide

large.ARK_CommunityCrunch_365_7HoursWide

Tower on Genesis2 by Чип

large.309129425_ARK_CommunityCrunch_365_

Enjoy your weekend!
Studio Wildcard

Twitter: twitter.com/survivetheark
Discord: discord.com/invite/playark
Reddit: reddit.com/r/playark
Instagram: instagram.com/survivetheark
Twitch: twitch.tv/survivetheark
Steam: steamcommunity.com/app/346110
Youtube: youtube.com/survivetheark
Facebook: facebook.com/survivetheark
Official Wiki: ark.wiki.gg

View full article

Yet another disappointment.asa is not coming out in August. All the fake art of structures will only be proven in game play. That we STILL don't have. Face it if asa doesn't lonch on time the ark survival asended and ark2 is going to die. That's all there is to it.

10 hours ago, GP said:

That has a lot of sense, thank you.

Edited by Blackraptor2008