Maewings and Starving Babies

Woody714

Hi, first time Maewing user here. I am having some bad luck with some dino babies starving to death when I leave render distance and return. I have nursing enabled and food both in the troughs and in the Maewing. I had yuty in the saddle.  It seems they consume all the food in the Maewing when I leave render? Raptor Clause has cost me several kibble yuty and some others as well.  Is this right? Do I need to stay with the Maewing or stuff like huge quantities of food in it?  I was thinking 5-6 stacks of cooked meat would last 15 minutes or so.

Lost Island XboxOne Singleplayer

I just raised a bunch of babies with a maewing and absolutely promise you have to stay in render distance at all times or the babies will starve. Iv lost 3 argies and a snow owl due to this.
The only thing you can do to prevent this is to make sure someone stays at the base. If you have a secound controler and a secound account on your xbox, you can simply place the secound player in your base to keep it rendered, however you may suffer from lower framerate and stuttering, but it works for when you need to leave base to go do other stuffs.

You might also try getting some kangaroo's to help as they slow the rate of feeding down for anything that fits into their pouch. Just make sure they have a mate boost going to get the effects.

On 1/1/2022 at 6:57 PM, Woody714 said:

The imprinting and maturation is changed, but the food consumption is not. I cannot recall the specs at the moment...I think maturation at max slider of 6 and imprinting at .143 that may not be right though.

Better check on that if not sure. I don't know my settings by the head either lol.
With the sliders pay close attention: in one case it is a multiplier, in the other a divider while at the same time being inconsistent with using integers or a 0..1 scale.

Welcome to ARK ;)

Yeah...it's nothing new. I've been lost in the "immersive experience of discovery" for 2 years now. The last 5 hours has been researching the net on a busting up pc and typing horribly slow with a Roku remote on Youtube trying to find info that makes sense in 5 minutes. It sucks how long it takes to get answers by actually breeding and imprinting. That is apparently part of the immersive experience of discovery as well. I like to experiment too, but it would be nice to have a tangible spoilers guide from time to time. 

I just want 3 imprints at @ 30 minutes each to cover most creatures. I had settings like that once and they only failed for like dimorphs and such...missing the final one by just a tad.

Hmmm....I play on a PC official pve server and I've never had babies starve while being raised by maewings. Granted I fill the maewing to slot/weight cap with the appropriate food for said batch of babies (usually one for meat-eaters in one corner of the hatchery, another for herbivores in another, another for fish-eaters in another corner, etc) before I put the babies out...usually four in the basket and the remainders next to it and if I'm really worried about keeping that batch of babies happy and safe I'll check the amount of food in a breeding calculator to make *sure* they have the required amount of food for at least several hours before I come back for imprints and to do a meat/berry run to refill the maewings' supply.

The only scary thing is when I've been logged off while babies are raising is sometimes they'll be bloody because the game calculates how much food each baby needed to consume while you were gone to stay alive and it takes them a bit to 'catch up/not be bloody' so maybe something like that has hit you? There was also that notorious glitch when babies would simply stop eating even when plenty of food was available to them (and thus starve), so check and make sure A) you have not only enough food but a surplus of said food for the babies before leaving render *and* B) Make sure you *see* them all eating before you leave?

On 12/31/2021 at 6:04 PM, Woody714 said:

Hi, first time Maewing user here. I am having some bad luck with some dino babies starving to death when I leave render distance and return. I have nursing enabled and food both in the troughs and in the Maewing. I had yuty in the saddle.  It seems they consume all the food in the Maewing when I leave render? Raptor Clause has cost me several kibble yuty and some others as well.  Is this right? Do I need to stay with the Maewing or stuff like huge quantities of food in it?  I was thinking 5-6 stacks of cooked meat would last 15 minutes or so.

Lost Island XboxOne Singleplayer

WHen you leave render distance, a dino will eat all that it's supposed to have eaten all at once as soon as it's rendered again.  We use this fact to fill up 100k food deodons instantly after a couple boss battles.    You would do better to put in a couple hundred stacks of meat if you intend to leave them alone.   

Cooked meat also lasts longer but is worth half as much food value. 15min is not long enough to bother w/ cooked.   If you had 50 raw stacks in there, you would have had no issue.   Whatever a breed calculator says, fill your maewing up as full as you can, accidents and life happens, you should set yourself up to be able to walk away at a moments notice and not worry about them dying.

Also, when you are not in render, animals will raise but their hp stat will not fill up as their maturation progresses.  This will lead to animals that mature but are bloody.   The healing process will only occur as you are around them, or force them to full hp possible w/ a hog or snow owl.

THe procoptodons might be a bad suggestion as well to help.   THey have a tendency to drop babies when you leave render.  This would change how they calculate the food eaten soon as you show back up, also - if your floor is foundation on the ground, it's possible the baby would teleport to coords:  50  50 on the island map(this location can be different on different maps; crystal isles, it's 50  50 - but on GenOne it's 80  80).   This would make them dead in no time.

I never realized the big food value diff between raw and cooked. I guess I never needed to? In two years, lol. That is probably the kicker. When I use daeodon  to heal after boss fights, it is almost always raw meat that is fed. I would use the trick to fill the food faster. The maewing is new to me, so I had no cluse if I was doing it wrong or if it is the jacked up settings I am trying to dial back in. Yeah...maybe I will trust it again.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, Woody714 said:

I never realized the big food value diff between raw and cooked. I guess I never needed to? In two years, lol. That is probably the kicker. When I use daeodon  to heal after boss fights, it is almost always raw meat that is fed. I would use the trick to fill the food faster. The maewing is new to me, so I had no cluse if I was doing it wrong or if it is the jacked up settings I am trying to dial back in. Yeah...maybe I will trust it again.  Thanks.

Yeah, online baby raising is rather off putting. Last time I did it, left a bad taste in my mouth. 1 yuty with a food mutation out of 4 was all that was left when I logged out and then logged back in. Would prolly have a mutton farm before any serious attempts at mutations if I was able to do it all over again.

@St1ckybandit I would if given the chance again.

As far as I have seen the order kids eat is:
1 through
2 maewing
3 own inventory

The way food seems to be calculated when you are logging in again:
1 spoilage (1.5 raw meat per hour, 26:40 for a full stack)
2 Babies that have matured, don't know in wich order but one after the other
3 The other babies one after the other, not sure in what order
And somewhere in between the other adults as well. I do not know if grown up kids eat from maewing, through or a mix of them

I'm using only raw meat, cooked meat is not worth it unless you stay away over 26 hours. You need very high weight meawings, still realy not worth it for that few hours extra. Keep in mind that in 24 hrs 90% of the meat is spoiled, so if you stay away for a day you need 10x as much meat as the kids eat! Tek througs keep spoilage low but only hold 100 stacks, and with maewing saddles you know at least your kids are in range.

Most secure way not to have food "stolen" however is still the kids own inventory, if their weigh allows it. It is time consuming to do this but even a few stacks will buy you that extra minute to prevent mass insta starving if you log in later than expected as long as it is not longer than 26 hours. If you do this, first blackbar the meawing it is in, If you do babies first the meawing counts that full weight too ;)

I think I  am back in business again. Having to sort out the imprinting stats again while learning the maewing was holding me back, but now I have test baryonyx imprinting at 20% at 18.8 maturity. I think i can roll with that and feel good about using the maewing with raw food this time. I want to start on the dinopithicus..hehe. Thanks.

Archived