Old school beta Dragon on official

Vit0Corleone

Hi survivors,

I want to try solo beat the Dragon on the island on official PvE but using the same tactics as players used to use back in the day.

This means basically using Island only dinos that I've tamed and bred myself.

I've done gamma so far, using theris and a yuti, and lost 3 theries, so not feeling very comfortable so far to handle beta.

Veterans out there, if there are any, what setup would you recommend to handle dragon beta under these conditions? Looking for feedback mostly on theri stats, or any other strategies. My current bred theris have around 20k health and 540% damage.

Thanks in advance!

21k hp is the sweet spot. For Beta, 700 melee should work. We used 21k hp, 800-900 melee on Alpha. We got slaughtered but ultimately won, walking out with 2 of the 18 Theri'scl we took in. 

Full set up;

1 Rex for Dimorphs (wasted spot, better to have a 19th Theri)

1 Yuty (take or leave)

18 Theri

8 riders

10 veggie cakes a Theri

100+ saddles on everything

Final result;

2 Theri's

3 Riders 

13 hours ago, Vit0Corleone said:

Hi survivors, I want to try solo beat the Dragon on the island on official PvE but using the same tactics as players used to use back in the day.
This means basically using Island only dinos that I've tamed and bred myself. I've done gamma so far, using theris and a yuti, and lost 3 theries, so not feeling very comfortable so far to handle beta. Veterans out there, if there are any, what setup would you recommend to handle dragon beta under these conditions? Looking for feedback mostly on theri stats, or any other strategies. My current bred theris have around 20k health and 540% damage.
Thanks in advance!

You gotta have that pig too man....the yuty can have a near rex like health pool, so if you set him to passive and have him follow the theri's, he should be able to take a hit or two while screaming at everyone. This way, you can ride the pig and heal everyone when the time is right.

Since the breath attack is percentage based, being able to add health after the first breath attack is truly necessary if your dino's are not capable of dealing massive amounts of damage all at once such as an online deal.

6 hours ago, wizard03 said:

You gotta have that pig too man....the yuty can have a near rex like health pool, so if you set him to passive and have him follow the theri's, he should be able to take a hit or two while screaming at everyone. This way, you can ride the pig and heal everyone when the time is right.

Since the breath attack is percentage based, being able to add health after the first breath attack is truly necessary if your dino's are not capable of dealing massive amounts of damage all at once such as an online deal.

I don't think you can set a yuti with auto-courage on official, can you? I don't see that option.

4 minutes ago, Vit0Corleone said:

I don't think you can set a yuti with auto-courage on official, can you? I don't see that option.

I thought you could.....not even in behavior settings?

If not, then ride the yuty and set the pig to auto heal and have it follow you while riding the yuty, and fill it to the brim with mutton

21 hours ago, Vit0Corleone said:

Hi survivors,

I want to try solo beat the Dragon on the island on official PvE but using the same tactics as players used to use back in the day.

This means basically using Island only dinos that I've tamed and bred myself.

I've done gamma so far, using theris and a yuti, and lost 3 theries, so not feeling very comfortable so far to handle beta.

Veterans out there, if there are any, what setup would you recommend to handle dragon beta under these conditions? Looking for feedback mostly on theri stats, or any other strategies. My current bred theris have around 20k health and 540% damage.

Thanks in advance!

If you're using theri's & yuty's, which are fairly old but were not original in the game, then I suggest using a daeodon for healing (daeodon's were added in the patch just before yuty's were added).

If you swap out one theri for a daeodon you'll find that the healing provided by the daedon keeps the theri's alive long enough to do the job, it more than makes up for the loss of DPS from one less theri. I would suggest that, just like you bred your theri's from a good gene pool, you're going to want to look for good daeodons to breed (look for food and HP). If you're playing solo then you might not have time to jump on the daeodon and pump some food into it, when it's food runs down to zero it will stop healing. so you want the food stat to be as high as possible. You want to have some daeodons that have had time to build up a bunch of levels that you put into food.

3 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

If you're using theri's & yuty's, which are fairly old but were not original in the game, then I suggest using a daeodon for healing (daeodon's were added in the patch just before yuty's were added).

If you swap out one theri for a daeodon you'll find that the healing provided by the daedon keeps the theri's alive long enough to do the job, it more than makes up for the loss of DPS from one less theri. I would suggest that, just like you bred your theri's from a good gene pool, you're going to want to look for good daeodons to breed (look for food and HP). If you're playing solo then you might not have time to jump on the daeodon and pump some food into it, when it's food runs down to zero it will stop healing. so you want the food stat to be as high as possible. You want to have some daeodons that have had time to build up a bunch of levels that you put into food.

Indeed, that's what it is at stake here. If you, @Vit0Corleone, are looking for true old school boss fights, then 20 Rexes were the way to go back then. At least it was the most common strategy I saw at the time.

However, I vaguely recall there was an update which made changes to the bosses stats (could someone confirm this please?). If so, then a true origin experience is not viable without modding. That's even without considering breeding came in later, it was something added along the road. As I keep adding these points up it seems nearly impossible to solo, lol. They were radically hard, but then again we could build in their arenas before being denied that, again, need to confirm this but I recall conversations about it.

Now if you base your rules on "The Island only creatures", then I feel that you got some pretty legit insights already on this thread. 

I am gearing up to do the same thing, but not old school experience. I am breeding Rexes and will certainly be bringing a 1 or 2 Daeodon and Yutyrannus with the other 17-18 rexes.

I might raise Theris, but I don't really want to. They do make things so much better for the Dragon Boss however...

4 hours ago, Martellus said:

Indeed, that's what it is at stake here. If you, @Vit0Corleone, are looking for true old school boss fights, then 20 Rexes were the way to go back then. At least it was the most common strategy I saw at the time

Way before that, the broodmother was spawning in the world directly with a random level. I know since I'm among the very first one who killed it on official ages ago with 2 crap rexes.

image.png.f3f1403a8b3345ad3813d777bd554168.png

Archived