in need of lubrication

orionwinterfire

rpicardi1 beat me to it, and I don't have a photo to show.  My son plays on XBox and he took his raft up north, didn't have fur yet, but he had a campfire by his tiller and a torch with a cabin right as he came on the raft.  Had a bed and a large storage chest.  Dashed up on the snow/ice and harvested some crystal and oil.  Dashed back to get warm and then did another trip.  If you build a raft you can add a top and put a cabin with a fireplace.

That is what I did.  Put a "roof" on my raft, a ladder and build a cabin beside it, over the tiller section I put a fireplace.  Bed and a large storage chest inside the cabin.    Built it big enough that I had a spot for Tera (Pateradon).  Put railing around it. top and bottom to keep animals off and me from falling off and being a meal for something.  Put a small chest near the tiller and I am set to go.  Worked out good too, as I was building my cabin I heard some noise and realized it was a raptor.  Looked over the edge and it was two raptors.  One was destroying my chest and the other was running around.   Coward me hid up on the top until they gave up and left.  Don't feel confident to fight them except one at a time. 

That one area that is shown I think is the one my son went to and there were, at that time at least, no dinos, direwolves, sabers or rexs to be a danger as you collect oil and crystals.  There were pearls also close by, close enough to the edge that you didn't have to worry, much, about megladons. 

Good luck in your venture

47 minutes ago, Janna3921 said:

rpicardi1 beat me to it, and I don't have a photo to show.  My son plays on XBox and he took his raft up north, didn't have fur yet, but he had a campfire by his tiller and a torch with a cabin right as he came on the raft.  Had a bed and a large storage chest.  Dashed up on the snow/ice and harvested some crystal and oil.  Dashed back to get warm and then did another trip.  If you build a raft you can add a top and put a cabin with a fireplace.

That is what I did.  Put a "roof" on my raft, a ladder and build a cabin beside it, over the tiller section I put a fireplace.  Bed and a large storage chest inside the cabin.    Built it big enough that I had a spot for Tera (Pateradon).  Put railing around it. top and bottom to keep animals off and me from falling off and being a meal for something.  Put a small chest near the tiller and I am set to go.  Worked out good too, as I was building my cabin I heard some noise and realized it was a raptor.  Looked over the edge and it was two raptors.  One was destroying my chest and the other was running around.   Coward me hid up on the top until they gave up and left.  Don't feel confident to fight them except one at a time. 

That one area that is shown I think is the one my son went to and there were, at that time at least, no dinos, direwolves, sabers or rexs to be a danger as you collect oil and crystals.  There were pearls also close by, close enough to the edge that you didn't have to worry, much, about megladons. 

Good luck in your venture

This reminds me, I hear they made adding onto rafts somewhat less advantageous with the last update.

I'll probably go with a simple one, as I doubt I want to sail it from one corner of the map to the opposite corner and back.

hummmm, haven't been on my raft since I finished it a couple days ago, except for a test run where the stupid sun was in my eyes and I ran it aground.  :(  Took a bit of getting out.  Am thinking of taking a small section off so I can see the sky better and won't get blinded by the sun. 

I do know that it is limited to 88 sections so had to watch how big I made it. (PC is limited, XBox isn't)  I put foundation around the edges so I could put up railing, leaving out the center area.  And a ramp so I could get on fast in case I was being chased by something. 

Single player so don't need to worry about being on the game every day.

on whether a petra (I thinking you are talking about a Pateradon) can carry a beetle, I doubt it, they aren't able to carry much; not good for pack animals just for exploring.  Have fairly good stamina as long as you don't have them speed up often.  I know that my son likes to take his around to check things out, but never collects anything. He ups his on stamina and health as he always seems to run into argy (I think I abbreviated it right, the large birds) as they get nasty when you get near them. 

7 hours ago, Janna3921 said:

on whether a petra (I thinking you are talking about a Pateradon) can carry a beetle, I doubt it, they aren't able to carry much; not good for pack animals just for exploring.  Have fairly good stamina as long as you don't have them speed up often.  I know that my son likes to take his around to check things out, but never collects anything. He ups his on stamina and health as he always seems to run into argy (I think I abbreviated it right, the large birds) as they get nasty when you get near them. 

Argis are bad, but not much of a threat to a good pteradon. As long as you have 1k+ hp (standard for anything over 130 base) it's extremely easy to outrun them. I got a nice lvl 173 Base pteras, currently at 208. Every point into speed. Literally fastest thing on the server. 

20 hours ago, Doofenshmirtz said:

You can last in the cold for a decent amount of time.. at least enough time to farm the oil nodes on the icebergs or on the shoreline. Fly in, mine several then head out if your health decreases too much. Even if you don't have a bird, it could still be done; just might take a little longer.

I suggest this option for your situation. My tribe also has a small base on the west coast just south of the snow. You can make a quick shack with storage and a bed( if you get unlucky and die) so you can make multiple trips without flying all the way home. Stock it with cooked meat and replacement tools or the means to repair your metal pick/weapons. Load up the shack with oil worry about getting it home later.

48 minutes ago, TedyBearOfDeath said:

I suggest this option for your situation. My tribe also has a small base on the west coast just south of the snow. You can make a quick shack with storage and a bed( if you get unlucky and die) so you can make multiple trips without flying all the way home. Stock it with cooked meat and replacement tools or the means to repair your metal pick/weapons. Load up the shack with oil worry about getting it home later.

That might work, with some scouting and perhaps a pillar removal request.

25 minutes ago, Martyn said:

If you really want oil, forget going to polar.. just offshore, just over the edge dotted around the south coast are numerous oil plateaus.  Usually have 6-7 oil nodes all close together.  All within easy 200 oxy diving reach without using scuba gear.

Using beetles for making oil.. pretty pointless really. 

I tamed my first anky with mejo, my first doed with mejo.. only lv 8 or so.  The anky, I put almost all the points into oxy.. they can kill meglos quite easily and swim fairly well and can hit underwater.  Getting oil isn't a problem.    Otherwise get an ichthy.. and just swim around like a dart and pick up the oil nodes all over the seabeds, dont worry about meglos or ples or meso.. they're too slow.

I run 4 smokin bins 24/7 atm, I trade jerky to other players more than i use it.   People will sell their souls for jerky.

Well yeah, takes 450 jerky to make kibble enough to tame a perfect 120 mosa.. ugh reminds me I need to make more quetz kibble when I get home

3 hours ago, orionwinterfire said:

Another semi-related question, since I'm having trouble finding an answer elsewhere: how fast is a raft?

faster than being on foot trying to make it places along the beaches (and safer)

much slower than any sea mounts

I think it took me about an hour and a half to raft around the whole island (with not much for stopping delays)

2 hours ago, Smokes said:

+1 for a raft with a campfires+torches on it to get you into the snow biome

if you build a decent raft, you can stay up there a while, tame things, craft fur armor and come back storages boxes full of oil + silica pearls

I may actually end up doing just that, as I found a bp last night for a 126% rifle. Of course now I have a lot of metal collecting to do.

20 minutes ago, perk8504 said:

faster than being on foot trying to make it places along the beaches (and safer)

much slower than any sea mounts

I think it took me about an hour and a half to raft around the whole island (with not much for stopping delays)

That's not too horrible. I am debating sailing vs flying. I have a ptera with decent speed and stamina (though adding up the weight of the stuff I want to take was slightly discouraging)

5 minutes ago, orionwinterfire said:

That's not too horrible. I am debating sailing vs flying. I have a ptera with decent speed and stamina (though adding up the weight of the stuff I want to take was slightly discouraging)

for a mass move, I'd definitely take a raft over ptera, personally

I think the back and forth would take more time with the ptera in the end

but the one largest benefit for the ptera, imo, would be a large amount of loot drops you could hit in the back and forth...depending on how much value you see in that

• Volunteer Moderator
18 hours ago, Martyn said:

Using beetles for making oil.. pretty pointless really. 

for steady oil supply with no risk (once you have them) they are awesome, getting over 400 total each time from mine for just loading up some poop. of course i still do "mass runs" occasionally, mostly because when its jerky time i run 11 preserving bins and like to have at least 100 in each.

• Volunteer Moderator

My opinion, is that you got a lot of good options here.  Over time, try them all out.  I have the beetles, but sometimes, I like to go old school and harvest pearls and oil from the ocean floor and caves; especially if I am doing a deepsea loot drop run and hit a lot drop (or both) early in the trip.

This is the beauty of this game, sometimes, there are so many ways to accomplish the same thing, each with their own risk, reward, and effort.

Archived