in need of lubrication

orionwinterfire

So, here's my issue: I need oil to, um, lubricate my gameplay. Specifically to make dilo kibble so I can tame a doed in a reasonable time frame (and hopefully an anky too). (Note: playing near-solo in OPvE)

I don't have any sea creatures, nor do I have access to scuba gear for ocean mining.

Nor to I have fur armor or any other reasonable means of mining oil from the Whitesky area.

So, presumably, my only remaining options are

1) to hunt trilobites and hope for oil drops. However, after weeks of gameplay based on the southeastern beaches, I have seen less than a half-dozen of them.

2) to collect para eggs and tame a high level raptor so I can go caving for dung beetles. Doable, and currently working on it, but it is taking longer than I would prefer.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Doofenshmirtz said:

You can last in the cold for a decent amount of time.. at least enough time to farm the oil nodes on the icebergs or on the shoreline. Fly in, mine several then head out if your health decreases too much. Even if you don't have a bird, it could still be done; just might take a little longer.

Good point. It's not like I need hundreds.

1 hour ago, Spiros said:

In my latest server, I've been free diving down to mine the oil rocks. There are usually a decent amount not too far off shore, the first "step" down (not the ocean floor). With an oxygen level of 200+ you should be fine. Plus, you don't have to put up with the cold.

I may give that a try, but I'm hesitant. Seems like every time I get in water more than waist - deep something tries to nibble on me.

41 minutes ago, orionwinterfire said:

I may give that a try, but I'm hesitant. Seems like every time I get in water more than waist - deep something tries to nibble on me.

Hehe, yeah there's always that.

So long as you bring a pike and of course your pick, you should be ok, especially at the depth (lack thereof) you'll be diving. You may encounter  Megapirhannas and/or Megladons, depending on which shore you are diving off of. Just keep your head on a swivel, maybe plop a chest down close to shore, and just deposit oil in there between each harvest.

Speaking of which, oil diving is what is on the agenda in my new server tonight..hehe.

Equip a raft with torches and firepits. Dress in hide armor. Have a torch on you. Head into the ice pack, run up to the oil node, harvest it, run back to the raft to warm up. Have plenty of cooked meat since the cold will make you get hungry quickly. Get the crystal while you are at it.

uNwn2qW.jpg

You can also wait for a heat wave when the sky turns yellow, then head in to get the oil nodes.

The area near the lava cave is loaded with trilobites.

qwTQixQ.jpg

6 minutes ago, rpicardi1 said:

Equip a raft with torches and firepits. Dress in hide armor. Have a torch on you. Head into the ice pack, run up to the oil node, harvest it, run back to the raft to warm up. Have plenty of cooked meat since the cold will make you get hungry quickly. Get the crystal while you are at it.

uNwn2qW.jpg

You can also wait for a heat wave when the sky turns yellow, then head in to get the oil nodes.

qwTQixQ.jpg

this is the area i was saying, its easy to get in and get out even though it is cold, put torches out for heat

3 hours ago, orionwinterfire said:

So, here's my issue: I need oil to, um, lubricate my gameplay. Specifically to make dilo kibble so I can tame a doed in a reasonable time frame (and hopefully an anky too). (Note: playing near-solo in OPvE)

I don't have any sea creatures, nor do I have access to scuba gear for ocean mining.

Nor to I have fur armor or any other reasonable means of mining oil from the Whitesky area.

So, presumably, my only remaining options are

1) to hunt trilobites and hope for oil drops. However, after weeks of gameplay based on the southeastern beaches, I have seen less than a half-dozen of them.

2) to collect para eggs and tame a high level raptor so I can go caving for dung beetles. Doable, and currently working on it, but it is taking longer than I would prefer.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

If you have poop you can tame a dung beetle.  I would recommend doing it with Ghillie Armor but it can be done with anything.  Get one of those.  Feed it the same poop you tamed it with.  Oil problem solved.

1 hour ago, Spiros said:

Hehe, yeah there's always that.

So long as you bring a pike and of course your pick, you should be ok, especially at the depth (lack thereof) you'll be diving. You may encounter  Megapirhannas and/or Megladons, depending on which shore you are diving off of. Just keep your head on a swivel, maybe plop a chest down close to shore, and just deposit oil in there between each harvest.

Speaking of which, oil diving is what is on the agenda in my new server tonight..hehe.

Haha sounds like all kind of heart racing fun!

1 hour ago, rpicardi1 said:

uNwn2qW.jpg

qwTQixQ.jpg

Awesome. I'll have to put together a shopping list.

1 hour ago, Plannb23 said:

If you have poop you can tame a dung beetle.  I would recommend doing it with Ghillie Armor but it can be done with anything.  Get one of those.  Feed it the same poop you tamed it with.  Oil problem solved.

Yes, I'm aware - but those little buggers are found in caves, and I'm given to understand that cave exploration is best done in groups, or with dinos.

1 minute ago, orionwinterfire said:

Yes, I'm aware - but those little buggers are found in caves, and I'm given to understand that cave exploration is best done in groups, or with dinos.

I went in the cave near the volcano with myself and one tribe member.  Neither of us took an animal.  Came out with 3 dung beetles in about 30 minutes.  You're not trying to get to the VERY bottom of the caves.  Just to a dung beetle.  Was it easy?  Again, I recommend Ghillie Armor.  Makes it so much easier.

2 minutes ago, Plannb23 said:

I went in the cave near the volcano with myself and one tribe member.  Neither of us took an animal.  Came out with 3 dung beetles in about 30 minutes.  You're not trying to get to the VERY bottom of the caves.  Just to a dung beetle.  Was it easy?  Again, I recommend Ghillie Armor.  Makes it so much easier.

Cool. That doesn't sound so bad. It's definitely on my to-do list anyway for fertilizer production. 

Just now, orionwinterfire said:

Cool. That doesn't sound so bad. It's definitely on my to-do list anyway for fertilizer production. 

Look I'm not going to tell you that it's just a walk in the park.  We died a couple times.

Here are the things you need to make sure of:

1. Ghillie Armor is a must.  It reduces your aggro range on everything in there and you're going to need to be seen less in order to effectively feed the passively tamed dung beetles
  2. Watch what you eat.  I accidentally put poop in my hot bar instead of feeding it to the beetle.  Ate pooo.  :poop: is NOT edible.  Makes you dead
  3. Draw the beetles more up to the mouth of the cave there.  It makes a loop so to speak.  I'd just run them around that thing until they were no longer pissed at me.  Stand there.  Feed them.  We targeted level 8 or lower as the level doesn't matter on it.
  4. Take something that can get YOU and the BEETLE home.
  5. Prepare for the worst.  If it looks dangerous.  It is, and likely could get worse.  

Just now, orionwinterfire said:

Should be tattooed on every character's ass lol

Yeah ... it gets ugly fast there and there is zero room for error like roaming around the map.  The tunnels are tight.  Cliffs.  Snakes.  Bats.  Spiders and of course the Beetles themselves.  Simply put ... it's not going to be like taming a dodo, but its no where near like having to tame a Rex.  Be patient.  Move methodically.  

Now having said all this when we go back now we take an animal.  MUCH easier.  That said, it can be done without an animal and a bit of patience.

30 minutes ago, Plannb23 said:

Look I'm not going to tell you that it's just a walk in the park.  We died a couple times.

Here are the things you need to make sure of:

1. Ghillie Armor is a must.  It reduces your aggro range on everything in there and you're going to need to be seen less in order to effectively feed the passively tamed dung beetles
  2. Watch what you eat.  I accidentally put poop in my hot bar instead of feeding it to the beetle.  Ate pooo.  :poop: is NOT edible.  Makes you dead
  3. Draw the beetles more up to the mouth of the cave there.  It makes a loop so to speak.  I'd just run them around that thing until they were no longer pissed at me.  Stand there.  Feed them.  We targeted level 8 or lower as the level doesn't matter on it.
  4. Take something that can get YOU and the BEETLE home.
  5. Prepare for the worst.  If it looks dangerous.  It is, and likely could get worse.  

I haven't taken time to see the difference, but higher levels should have higher carry capacity, which is very handy for them since it's already soooooo low...like 1 piece of small poo low...lol

Just now, perk8504 said:

I haven't taken time to see the difference, but higher levels should have higher carry capacity, which is very handy for them since it's already soooooo low...like 1 piece of small poo low...lol

Yes.  But they take longer to tame.  We have 4 level 8 dung beetles and over time their weight goes up.  All of them hold over 20 lbs of poop.  We don't ever need more oil. 

Level 8 Dung Beetle + 6 Large Pieces of Poop = 00:04:59

Level 80 Dung Beetle + 22 Large Pieces of Poop = 00:18:19

I get that they carry more weight but we just felt we could get in and out quicker that way and it works great.  We get anywhere from 200-400 oil in a day depending on how often we fill their inventories.  We also put them in a cage to help keep track of them.

2 minutes ago, Plannb23 said:

Yes.  But they take longer to tame.  We have 4 level 8 dung beetles and over time their weight goes up.  All of them hold over 20 lbs of poop.  We don't ever need more oil. 

Level 8 Dung Beetle + 6 Large Pieces of Poop = 00:04:59

Level 80 Dung Beetle + 22 Large Pieces of Poop = 00:18:19

I get that they carry more weight but we just felt we could get in and out quicker that way and it works great.  We get anywhere from 200-400 oil in a day depending on how often we fill their inventories.  We also put them in a cage to help keep track of them.

not saying your logic isn't justified

just saying that it's worth weighing the 2 sides when deciding what level you're going to go after

Archived