The Mysterious Countdown Becomes More Mysterious...

CyanicEmber

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CyanicEmber said:

I think it will still be a very primitive environment based almost entirely in the cave beneath the ARK's surface. But Tek will play a huge role in end-game and progression.

Initially, I had the same concerns as you, but, if I am right... Wildcard is about to pull off a seamless blend of primitive survival and high technology in a low atmosphere/space-like environment.

That would be amazing, but I'm a little scared to dream...

I was lurking on the steam forums and someone mentioned what sounded like canine growls and footsteps, plus the glowing eyes look distinctly mammalian. It could be that this map will feature werewolves in some way, perhaps in a way similar to how SE featured wyverns or it could possibly be a new mechanic regarding the players. An ARK built for werewolves instead of humans might be kinda cool, or perhaps a lycanthropy virus was spreading through the human subjects and this ARK was either created to quarantine them or broken by them. Another thing I noticed is that along with the broken ARK which can bee seen from the boss room, there seems to be a blue ARK covered in what looks like mushrooms. The only other one I saw was an SE ARK so it could be that the boss room has given us insight into the other ARKs. Also, since people can transfer from other ARKs into the Island, perhaps the Island is a bunch of major ARKs intended for reaching the overseer and the others are orbiting it like places where survivors hone certain skills and develop certain technologies before coming together on the Island to defeat the Overseer. Or maybe the broken one is an image of what happens to an ARK after its overseer is killed.

1 minute ago, DinoDash said:

If it is the broken ark like everyone says, gameplay mechanics would have to be quite different. Since the towers are busted and there's no oxygen I'm thinking you wouldn't be able to just spawn there...

Hence the blue lights at the beginning maybe, it was fine and then it gets broken sometime (there are hints of a change from the normal ARK formula).

Spoiler

ALERT! Just noticed something!

59a8f4526b069_DamagedARk.thumb.jpg.fd87447c0cc4f4851fa4b0ccfde22664.jpg

The damaged ARK you see outside the Overseer's chamber is the only ARK without an observation platform! It may have been the very first ARK created and the observation platforms were added to all subsequent ARKs to avoid the type of catastrophe that destroyed the first one!

If you have reached and completed the End Game, read the above, otherwise skip it!

In the PC gamer interview from earlier this year Jat mentioned to them he was planning a horror DLC and had already begun plans for a chest bursting creature (he mentioned about creating the effect I believe) which seems to back up some of the above theories.

I must admit folk seem to have taken a lot more from the ending than I did, I didn't think it answered that much really about who the overseers are, is there anywhere anyone has collated this stuff?

11 hours ago, LightningMcKeane said:

Hence the blue lights at the beginning maybe, it was fine and then it gets broken sometime (there are hints of a change from the normal ARK formula).

The blue lights and purple lights may have been from two different obelisks.  The blue was under water, the purple is likely in a cave.

Archived