No support for legacy servers? Seriously?

Kamala

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Hypsy said:

This, completely agreed.

Every single huge tribe I've talked to (and i get around, lol) has commented on the duped items or at least acknowledged the problem and talked about how they can't wait for a fresh start.

Sometimes I wonder if the people commenting here are the same people who say they got raided when someone destroys their thatch kingdom.

Feel free to post what tribe/server you're in along with your 'complaints' guys.

If you want a meaningless experience going forward then go play UnOfficial,
The current state of Official is sad and that is because of the PLAYERS, not because of WildCard.

Sure blame everybody but WC, are there tribes at fault? Of course there are, but most of the tribes getting punished are because WC is incapable of fixing exploits and glitches. Not to mention their constant lack of consistency on anything they say or do.

8 minutes ago, Insomniak said:

Lou, think your numbers might be off.. this is not something that's only affecting 20%. People are really quitting, giving away dinos etc. The number of people affected is very substantial, unofficial is in the minority here as 2/3 platforms is almost 100% official players. 

The tribe I belong to lost two servers, no that it really bother me about moving because we have places to go and transfer our stuff to. But I know many who don't have place to go. And it is definitely way larger then the 5% he speaks of. And some of these servers are definitely way out side of the "inactive" server range. One of them that I am helping the tribe migrate from had 25-30 regular players a night. Many people will be unable to transfer and lose it all. And the small tribes that do manage to get through the massive lag spikes that are ongoing from the transfer will be wiped by the migrating alphas/megas.

What a time to live in,  Bravo WC enjoy you tanking steam ratings.

2 minutes ago, lvirusl said:

Sure blame everybody but WC, are there tribes at fault? Of course there are, but most of the tribes getting punished are because WC is incapable of fixing exploits and glitches. Not to mention their constant lack of consistency on anything they say or do.

You ate too much candy, No doubt.

tribes getting punished are because WC

There is an extremely obvious logical fallacy right there.

35 minutes ago, ranger1presents said:

Oh yeah, I've seen that one.  It's a bit remedial, basically it's game design and game industry best practices 101.  Not really something that every other major game developer doesn't adhere to.  Not to put too fine a point on it, but if you found something in that video to be shocking or revelatory, it doesn't speak well for your understanding of how games are developed.  Just sayin'.

The point I make out of the video is that those developers are all-in about ''a youtuber asks this'' and they answer ''hell yeah count it as done'' then that youtuber waits 5 months and gives up hope. 

There is examples of ''WC wants it'' (YES) - ''Community wants it'' (NO) = Final result, it's implemented because Jeremy or Jesse wanted it. And when you've been on forums and read and given feedback...you know they ignored the community 100%. And there are plenty such examples. 

Bugs...there are bugs since day one, still not fixed. Recently they ''fixed'' dinos and eggs falling thru foundations/ceilings. It's not fixed, but there is no dev word of there will be an additional pass on that. And this is just one example among 1000s. 

Or the fact that the first time the question was asked ''Will the servers be wiped on launch'' the answer was YES. Then as people complained, they gave us the candy that no, servers will not be wiped. Then the candy went a bit weird...only 10% of servers will be wiped and then you reached the middle and it tasted awfully sour...33% of all servers are getting wiped (50% of PC servers) but like that wasn't enough, they are turning support for Legacy servers off...which when you read between the lines means all legacy servers will be wiped over time...in others words...the first time the question was asked, the answer was yes. 

To put it simply. Wildcard has to decide between wasting hours and hours into a bottomless timesink (Legacies) and diverting important resources in two separate directions or focusing all their support efforts and new hires on the servers that genuinely matter. (Launch Servers.)

They made the right choice.

36 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

40%? Seriously? We're talking 1-2%...5% MAX. The only way Ark would lose 40% of their active player base is if they shut down Official or Unofficial entirely.

They aren't going to lose 40% of their player base over a mercy-killing of "legacy" servers riddled with duped items and exploit-raised dinos. Ultimately, the point is irrelevant anyway because those same customers aren't going to be happy no matter what Wildcard does...and if you're going to piss off 5% of your player base no matter what you do, then there's no reason to attempt catering to their insane demands...especially considering they're going to complain about it no matter what happens.

This is why companies should ignore the 15-20% of customers on either side of any issue. Sticking with that middle 60% is what will make the game successful...not catering to the nonstop haters or diehard fanboys.

A game that has 9 million copies sold and is only having 30 000 players...somethings not right.

8 minutes ago, powerstuck said:

The point I make out of the video is that those developers are all-in about ''a youtuber asks this'' and they answer ''hell yeah count it as done'' then that youtuber waits 5 months and gives up hope. 

There is examples of ''WC wants it'' (YES) - ''Community wants it'' (NO) = Final result, it's implemented because Jeremy or Jesse wanted it. And when you've been on forums and read and given feedback...you know they ignored the community 100%. And there are plenty such examples. 

Bugs...there are bugs since day one, still not fixed. Recently they ''fixed'' dinos and eggs falling thru foundations/ceilings. It's not fixed, but there is no dev word of there will be an additional pass on that. And this is just one example among 1000s. 

Or the fact that the first time the question was asked ''Will the servers be wiped on launch'' the answer was YES. Then as people complained, they gave us the candy that no, servers will not be wiped. Then the candy went a bit weird...only 10% of servers will be wiped and then you reached the middle and it tasted awfully sour...33% of all servers are getting wiped (50% of PC servers) but like that wasn't enough, they are turning support for Legacy servers off...which when you read between the lines means all legacy servers will be wiped over time...in others words...the first time the question was asked, the answer was yes. 

Erm, well, if that's what you gleaned out of watching that presentation that's somewhat odd but so be it.  You do you powerstruck.  :D

1 minute ago, CyanicEmber said:

Actually, it's soon to reach mostly positive. ;)

58% current rating and decreasing. From steams rating system coding:

• 95 - 99% : Overhwelmingly Positive
  • 94 - 80% : Very Positive
  • 80 - 99% + few reviews: Positive
  • 70 - 79% : Mostly Positive
  • 40 - 69% : Mixed
  • 20? - 39% : Mostly Negative
  • 0 - 39% + few reviews: Negative
  • 0 - 19% : Very Negative
  • 0 - 19% + many reviews: Overwhelmingly Negative

DREAM ON 58% and going down is no where near mostly positive

6 minutes ago, powerstuck said:

A game that has 9 million copies sold and is only having 30 000 players...somethings not right.

By that definition almost every game being tracked by steam stats has "something not right" so not really a useful metric.

4 minutes ago, lvirusl said:

Marked, and seeing as how the steam ratings are continuing to drop, many will think twice before buying a game that is soon to reach mostly negative reviews.

Yeah. Apathy is pretty ugly.
Especially from people who expect things from you.

I'll be hoping that the legacy servers don't get left behind during all of this. I'm concerned with how many scorched earth servers are being redistributed as new ones for launch and how it will affect people wanting to continue to play on SE and will now have to transfer over to a server with the hope of finding an open spot worthwhile. Seems worth it to me though.

2 minutes ago, Lazzarus said:

I'll be hoping that the legacy servers don't get left behind during all of this. I'm concerned with how many scorched earth servers are being redistributed as new ones for launch and how it will affect people wanting to continue to play on SE and will now have to transfer over to a server with the hope of finding an open spot worthwhile. Seems worth it to me though.

They literally said that legacy server will have no support following release. I would say save your self the heart ache and don't place that hope too high.

1 minute ago, lvirusl said:

They literally said that legacy server will have no support following release. I would say save your self the heart ache and don't place that hope too high.

Worst comes to worst after the fact scrapping everything to start all over sounds like a waste of time and will probably just walk away. No use wasting another 3500 hours to do exactly the same stuff all over again lol.

The fun fact is that, in the post "ARK: State of the Game", this was written:

"To be clear, if you're playing on a Legacy Server you will not be able to transfer to the new Official servers and Legacy servers will still receive total and complete support (just like the New Officials) in regards to Game Updates and future ARK Expansions, so you can expect to see future DLC servers added to the Legacy Cluster"

Just come on, seriously? What is WC doing?

49 minutes ago, waterKeeper said:

I don't think so. 

Pve players, you know that constant stream of join notifications that leave because of ur land claiming pillar/gate spam and ur greedy tame caps, they will gladly stay in ur absence.

And PvP players, u know all those new tribes popping up each day, but never lasting more than a week? Yeah same thing ^^^. 

One thing learned in pvp, servers don't stay empty.

i actually play on a healthy pve server, no pillarspam trolls get dealt with by the server community, but i get there is much burned ground there, i cant even imagine how pvp must feel , i havent suffered a single ddos attack on any server i frequent, but i guess thats a pvp phenomena 

30 minutes ago, CyanicEmber said:

Actually, it's soon to reach mostly positive. ;)

It's actually not though. I've been watching the reviews for months. It's been at 59% mixed for recent reviews since the last debacle where it dropped down from the high 60s and it's now at 58%. It used to be mostly positive overall with a low 70 but again it dropped to 67% during the last debacle where it's now mixed.

The reviews are trending downward.

Whelp, time to look at the silver lining.

I'm not going to touch upon the kill list itself, since WC is giving plenty of time for people to move to a not-killed server. I'm only going to talk about no support on Legacy, as this topic is about that.

I will admit, I do not really understand the mentality behind it. From a consumers standpoint, it does look like it's a big F U to players who are deciding to stick to Legacy. But let's take a step back here folks. Empty out your emotions and think about this LOGICALLY.

Legacy is STILL going to get all the updates, content, and such. The ONLY thing it will not be getting is customer support. So what are the cons and pro's to this?

Pros:

-Less hassle for WC to deal with, since Legacy is mostly riddled with duped items, dinos, and Alpha tribes who's unfriendly (for the most part) nature would have already pushed away new players to begin with. This will allow WC to focus on the non-corrupt play field that will be the new servers, where the new players can begin their lives in a less corrupted environment (from a inner game's core mechanics perspective).

-Alpha's and really any player on Legacy is pretty much free to do just about anything. This is good and bad, but the potential good side is that WC essentially is handing the reigns of Legacy's fate to THE PLAYERS who want to play on them. I could think of worse things a company could do than basically GIVE servers to it's loyal player base.

Cons:

-Legacy players will be stuck dealing with bugs that they can't fix. Probably the biggest issue I got with this move.

-The bad side to giving the legacy servers into the iron rule of the players there...is that the community on those servers is CRAP. This thread is a clear sign of that. All these hateful people here? If they stick around those Legacy servers, then it's going to become an even more potent of a cesspool than you could ever imagine. A bigger reason to why I'd never recommend people playing on them.

-Unless the above note is corrected with the community changing their ways and becoming more friendly to each other, Legacy will slowly die off due to basically eating itself alive with negative enjoyment from it's angry players. It will be the PLAYERS fault for the most part if Legacy dies, not WC's, since bug fixes will still be present there.

Now let's look at the Gamescon video...let's use that same scorecard they posted and see how it measures up when it comes to having no support on Legacy.

Does Wildcard want to do it: Yes +1 (obviously since they are doing it)

Does the community want it: No -1 (what community would want no support? None)

Does this affect new Players: Neutral +0 (new players are only affected if they chose to play on those servers)

Beneficial to Development?: Neutral +0 (doing this doesn't affect whether the game comes out of development or not. They can release just fine without doing this)

Lacks controversy?: No -1 (thread is a pure example that there's controversy to this subject)

Easy to Implement: Yes +1 (wC already has the means to do this easily with their present coding)

Can wC do a good job: Yes +1 (Anyone would be good at ignoring tickets from a specific server group)

Total Points: 1 (falls under the DON'T DO IT model)

So technically under their own scorecard, they SHOULDN'T have done this. But they are anyway, due to 'it's out of their scope to continue customer support for Legacy'. I'm not here to say why it happened. But this is how things are gonna be at present. WC could change their minds, but we shall see.

Now, I don't really agree with them shutting off support for legacy, but I don't play on it either. I don't know what kind of tickets people send from Legacy, so I have no grounds to say what's what. But what I CAN do, is at least help you poor souls see your opinions now. So what can people who are on Legacy do?

• Move off of Legacy (if the server save isn't accessible for your server). I can think of worse things than needing to replay a game you love enough to sit on the forum and rant about. And the state of the new servers sounds like it'll have the support that you know...you RARELY got already on Legacy. You are a vet. A player that knows more about ARK than any noob. You know all the good building spots, you know how to progress and level fast. Is WC not supporting your home server REALLY gonan be the thing that you throw the towel in on?
  • Stay on Legacy and deal with the bugs, but keep all your stuff. You know...the same thing that's been happening on Legacy for how long? You all are exploding dramatically over something that was already kinda there. You are just using WC's official announcement on it to blow this all out of proportion.
  • Take the save files that they will be giving out for your server and move to an unofficial server. You won't lose anything, and will get your support in the form of yourself (SP or self-hosting) or whatever hosting company you rented from. This is the route I recommend most, and would be a benefit if your server was indeed on the kill-list. (I'm unaware if they are providing saves for ALL Legacy servers...but I'm assuming it's only for the kill-list ones)

Okay sure you could leave a bad Steam review. But at that point, you are basically on a 'revenge' scheme. A fruitless one too. Steam reviews only potentially affect 1/3rd of Ark's playerbase. You should love the game for what the GAME is...not because the developers did something that pissed you off on a personal level (since this change wouldn't have been made if WC thought it would be detrimental to ARK's life or it's sales). This community would be better off without people like that. So go ahead and leave. The new players will come and replace you, and I don't foresee ARK tanking because of this move. The player count on release and the weeks after will show the true results of their decision.

So this whole post and the 1000+ replys are all about the wording of his comment? Has anyone actually said they will not be supporting the legacy servers? I understand No one trusting Wildcard they know they have the only decent Dino game in town and all the "legacy" money so there is no reason for them to care.  I have put thousands of hours in between the ps4 and PC versions of the game and i do like it , but could never recommend it to anyone i liked this has nothing to do with the game and everything to do with the company. Hello Games has more of my loyalty then Wildcard. All this and i still see nothing in the post that says they aren't supporting legacy servers.

2 minutes ago, Vrallox said:

It's actually not though. I've been watching the reviews for months. It's been at 59% mixed for recent reviews since the last debacle where it dropped down from the high 60s. It used to be mostly positive overall with a low 70 but again it dropped to 67% during the last debacle where it's now mixed.

The reviews are trending downward.

Yeah, I'm sure the kinds of people who use steam reviews to buy games won't filter by negative and completely dis-regard all the salty one line "SDJHG OMG MY FLYERS" reviews.

Oh johnny played this game for 2000 hours and then left a negative review and only commented on 1 feature, I'm sure his review is honest and valuable.

That was sarcasm by the way.

Manufactured (by salty poop-heads) reviews don't matter, They never have.

5 minutes ago, Ulta said:

Okay sure you could leave a bad Steam review. But at that point, you are basically on a 'revenge' scheme. You should love the game for what the GAME is...not because the developers did something that pissed you off on a personal level (since this change wouldn't have been made if WC thought it would be detrimental to ARK's life or it's sales). This community would be better off without people like that. So go ahead and leave. The new players will come and replace you, and I don't foresee ARK tanking because of this move. The player count on release and the weeks after will show the true results of their decision.

There will be no new influx of players Ulta. Ark has already sold its millions of copies. That's more then most games could hope for, will they get new players, sure but not enough to sustain them. If they lose this player base no one will be there to buy the DLC and thus WC will drift off into the darkness as a one hit wonder who couldn't.

4 minutes ago, onedudesmind said:

So this whole post and the 1000+ replys are all about the wording of his comment? Has anyone actually said they will not be supporting the legacy servers? I understand No one trusting Wildcard they know they have the only decent Dino game in town and all the "legacy" money so there is no reason for them to care.  I have put thousands of hours in between the ps4 and PC versions of the game and i do like it , but could never recommend it to anyone i liked this has nothing to do with the game and everything to do with the company. Hello Games has more of my loyalty then Wildcard. All this and i still see nothing in the post that says they aren't supporting legacy servers.

Important Customer Support Legacy Information
When the current servers become Legacy servers on the 29th, we will no longer offer Customer Support to these Legacy servers. All outstanding tickets to our Customer Support team will be wiped clean on launch day, and no future tickets submitted by those playing on Legacy servers will be accepted. Going forward our Customer Support team will be focused on assisting those present on the new cluster, which will not be plagued by many of the issues that occurred during the Early Access process. Unfortunately it is beyond the scope of our operation to continue to offer support on Legacy servers at this time.

Archived