Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Arrclyde said:

The problem with new servers would be, in order to function for new players, players with early access have no possible chance to transfer there or even make a new charakter there. That would be fair for new and fair for old players, since the last ones already keep all their stuff they "worked" for when things have been easier and less restricted. 

But i already hear some cyber-dbags cry over this, because they had plans how to ruin new players fun the most effective ways. Can't please everybody ;-)

So by your logic the only way new servers would work is if old players couldnt make a completely new character and start from scratch with them sooo then how would wiping help any given there wouldnt be new servers so every server would be shared by new and old players

careful if you contradict ill catch it ?

I have a theory.

I actually believe that the devs will announce in a week or two a list, a list of low pop servers being repurposed(wiped) for use into the new Full Release servers.

This will cause mass chaos as everyone scrambles to raid and take over servers not being wiped.

Then, sitting sort of safe on their new servers, the winners will wait, anticipating the new server releases and fresh ground to conquer.

Only to find out that all Legacy servers are locked. No transfer of anything except Legacy server to Legacy server. Full Release server to Full Release server.

And to access Full Release servers, you have to purchase the Full Release version.

The primary thing I keep in the front of my mind is this. It is a business to them. It is a game to us. But, servers do not pay for themselves.

I believe that they will offer clean, noninfested servers with no chance that a hyper mega will swoop in and raze the new peoples stuff to the ground.

No longer will servers for beta testers be a tax write off. They will still have Legacy Servers, but in a much smaller capacity.

They might have started out to have fun making a game in the beginning, but now they are in moneymaking mode.

And you don't make money by dumping it into server payments for a mega farming server with a population of fifteen.

Or maybe I am full of BS, and someone can point me to an official statement from the devs saying we would be allowed to play with the new guys upon release with our Legacy accounts? They already separate PVE and PVP transfer. Simple enough to create a new type called Legacy PVE and PVE. Or Legacy PVP and PVP.

If they made it so that old servers were legacy servers and you couldn't transfer off of them, they would die shortly after the next expansion comes out. I think I read somewhere they had 2 planned.  Without access to the not yet released expansion creatures who would want to stick around just for old times sake? I wouldn't and I have a breeding line of very cool equus I would lose.

I suppose they could add a legacy as of yet unreleased expansion server but that's kinda wonky...  since it cant be legacy if it doesn't exist yet and wont until a long time after release.

No need for legacy servers. Just introduce new servers meant for new/fresh starts only. Prevent transfers to, but not transfers from, these servers. Obviously give people a heads up when they start the game for the first time of what to expect from those beginner servers and from the established servers. Let the players decide where they want to start out.

I think its a requirement at this point. Since steam and Microsoft now have the refund program its in the devs best interest to make the servers friendly to newcomers to keep the returns low. Plus how many that are in control now would really spend the time to do it all over again? I doubt many  will and they will move on. I would copy all you care about to your Single Player game mate ;)

As much i'd love to know all "unfair" (bugs and stuff like old unobtainable bp's) beeing removed i'd hate to loose everything i have bred. Sure, there are lots of massive stronger ones, but these are mine and tranqed, tamed and bred from the first generation by myself. Also i love my 2 blue thylas very much.

To the point of freeing space for newbies with a total wipe. Imo it wouldn't help much, rather hurt them even. Think many have seen/heard what happens on games like WoW or GW2 when a new map came out. For those who don't, it was flooded by players. What would that mean in ark? Short form is gl finding anything worth to tame.

Old players know how, what and where to get from and will block/tame empty those spots/dinos in matter of hours after launch at latest.

Almost forgot one exclusive aspect of pvp. I think it would be a unique chance for any group dedicated enough to overthrow the old alpha, as they are on rather equal footing.

Long term the old alpha would be alpha soon enough if they don't leave or get wiped out enough.

Also i can imagine them letting newbies live just to force them paying for their hut. Or murdering them for whatever they own, maybe even trying to make them quit so another tribemember can join. Which i think could happen very well on pve also.

Recycling older, low population servers and making them isolated, as ragnarok ones, likely works better.

3 hours ago, ducttapefixeseverything said:

I have a theory.

I actually believe that the devs will announce in a week or two a list, a list of low pop servers being repurposed(wiped) for use into the new Full Release servers.

This will cause mass chaos as everyone scrambles to raid and take over servers not being wiped.

Then, sitting sort of safe on their new servers, the winners will wait, anticipating the new server releases and fresh ground to conquer.

Only to find out that all Legacy servers are locked. No transfer of anything except Legacy server to Legacy server. Full Release server to Full Release server.

And to access Full Release servers, you have to purchase the Full Release version.

The primary thing I keep in the front of my mind is this. It is a business to them. It is a game to us. But, servers do not pay for themselves.

I believe that they will offer clean, noninfested servers with no chance that a hyper mega will swoop in and raze the new peoples stuff to the ground.

No longer will servers for beta testers be a tax write off. They will still have Legacy Servers, but in a much smaller capacity.

They might have started out to have fun making a game in the beginning, but now they are in moneymaking mode.

And you don't make money by dumping it into server payments for a mega farming server with a population of fifteen.

Or maybe I am full of BS, and someone can point me to an official statement from the devs saying we would be allowed to play with the new guys upon release with our Legacy accounts? They already separate PVE and PVP transfer. Simple enough to create a new type called Legacy PVE and PVE. Or Legacy PVP and PVP.

I don't see anything wrong with your idea, sounds fine.

PvP sorts itself out. Take the well known Cobra tribe for instance. They duped a ton. And where are they and their duped items? Gone. WC has taunted players with these events, I just finished a 100% imprinted giga batch and if I lose it because WC was too scared to make an earlier decision, I wont buy anymore DLCs and just grief when I'm bored with other games. My tribe (alpha) lets smaller tribes play cause we are the strongest on server. If that changes from a wipe we would just have a guy scout all day just to wipe the server clean of bases to prevent anyone contesting our power. Sorry if you feel alphas are bullies but you don't play eight hours a day-the alpha's members do. Official is not for the casual gamer and that's fine, just play unofficial.

Ooops, forgot to mention this part.

Full Release purchasers would be able to jump onto legacy servers to explore. They would not be able to take anything to the Legacy Server, or take anything out.

The ultimate tourist attraction game.

Come see the most dangerous long term vicious players! These guys have been here forever!

Enjoy the fun of not being able to build a campfire in PVE due to pillar spamming!

Know that people will creepily watch you and hang out in your base on PVE looking for a chance to steal or kite golems to your house to kill everything!

Sleep well knowing that the small 1X1 wood hut you made will for sure be gone to a level 360 giga before you can log back in on PVP!

Enjoy being trapped in a cage for hours, maybe weeks listening to people yell at you in a foreign language!

Have fun with constant lag and rollbacks due to DDOS and dupers creating more items for their never ending war!

We are going to be turned into a selling point of the game.

Seriously, name of the game is Ark: Survival Evolved.

I feel that official Legacy type servers will be advertised this way.

Makes good marketing sense to me.

4 hours ago, OGCookies said:

Mods have closed so many of these threads and they just pop right back up i think they have lost hope lol great entertainment on ny lunch break tho

They don't delete them they just roll them up and bundle them into this thread hence the longevity of it xD

I'm all for a wipe, but it's gone on way too much now. Nobody knows anything and the same things are being said over and over again. 

1 minute ago, ducttapefixeseverything said:

Ooops, forgot to mention this part.

Full Release purchasers would be able to jump onto legacy servers to explore. They would not be able to take anything to the Legacy Server, or take anything out.

The ultimate tourist attraction game.

Come see the most dangerous long term vicious players! These guys have been here forever!

Enjoy the fun of not being able to build a campfire in PVE due to pillar spamming!

Know that people will creepily watch you and hang out in your base on PVE looking for a chance to steal or kite golems to your house to kill everything!

Sleep well knowing that the small 1X1 wood hut you made will for sure be gone to a level 360 giga before you can log back in on PVP!

Enjoy being trapped in a cage for hours, maybe weeks listening to people yell at you in a foreign language!

Have fun with constant lag and rollbacks due to DDOS and dupers creating more items for their never ending war!

We are going to be turned into a selling point of the game.

Seriously, name of the game is Ark: Survival Evolved.

I feel that official Legacy type servers will be advertised this way.

Makes good marketing sense to me.

Where is this game I want to play it! 

17 minutes ago, ducttapefixeseverything said:

Is coming man. Two weeks. Wait till the devs publish their low pop server repurpose list. Massive server wars for the servers not being repurposed.

I actually agree with you in all aspect I believe that it the only option for devs to make this game viable in the long run. The only thing I disagree with, is all us legacy players will not have to repurchase it to play in new servers. It will just be an option to join new server or legacy server. 

I genuinely hope this is what they do

10 hours ago, Arrclyde said:

The problem with new servers would be, in order to function for new players, players with early access have no possible chance to transfer there or even make a new charakter there. That would be fair for new and fair for old players, since the last ones already keep all their stuff they "worked" for when things have been easier and less restricted. 

But i already hear some cyber-dbags cry over this, because they had plans how to ruin new players fun the most effective ways. Can't please everybody ;-)

It would be nice to see completely segregated servers. And if the old players still wanted to buy ark again to get on those servers then hey it still makes wildcard money.

13 hours ago, OGCookies said:

So by your logic the only way new servers would work is if old players couldnt make a completely new character and start from scratch with them sooo then how would wiping help any given there wouldnt be new servers so every server would be shared by new and old players

careful if you contradict ill catch it ?

Well, early access players not being able to make new characters may seem to be a little over the top. But you actually overestimate the meaning of "old players" and the "help" they can give. Without old players it wouldn't make new servers with only new players worse. And why would old players want to start over new? They don't want to, because then they would be ok with a complete wipe at full release. 

Oh no, i forgot. Those players don't want to start over new completely. They just want to keep all their stuff they got back in the days when things weren't fleshed out so much and things have been easier to get. They just want to start new on a another server they can't transfer to to dominate another server with their knowledge of the game. 

Help from old players is not needed if they aren't any on the servers. Simply because new players have the chance to experience the game at their speed, not the speed of the old community sleepwalking through the content, progressing at high speeds telling them how they should play the game. 

And yes, i say that even though i am an old player that has bought the game almost two years ago. That would also effect me too. 

9 hours ago, ToxVic said:

PvP sorts itself out. Take the well known Cobra tribe for instance. They duped a ton. And where are they and their duped items? Gone. WC has taunted players with these events, I just finished a 100% imprinted giga batch and if I lose it because WC was too scared to make an earlier decision, I wont buy anymore DLCs and just grief when I'm bored with other games. My tribe (alpha) lets smaller tribes play cause we are the strongest on server. If that changes from a wipe we would just have a guy scout all day just to wipe the server clean of bases to prevent anyone contesting our power. Sorry if you feel alphas are bullies but you don't play eight hours a day-the alpha's members do. Official is not for the casual gamer and that's fine, just play unofficial.

Your text is a perfect example of what is wrong with this game and its mechanics. But hey, to each their own i guess. Most people have to work 8+ hours of the day others play a game "seriously" 8+ hours a day. But i know those people too: being logged in to a game 10 hours a day, but they have a full time job, a family, a dog, a house, three cars, a boat, go to partys with lots of their friends and go to the gym for 3 hours 5 days a week.... da internetz, a place where everything is possible, like days with 36 hours and weeks with 9 days ;-)

But your statement isn't wrong: official servers are not for casual gamers. Should be written in every review of this game, simply because its true..... Well as long as they don't have a possibility to offer different types of servers for different types of players. Being a casual doesn't mean they only go "play PvE". But some hardcore mechanics made for coreplayers simply don't work for casuals, such as persistent characters even when logged out and offline raiding.... or the crazy amount of hours for taming and breeding. Official servers log out so many players from most of the endgame content, so i have to admit you are right: official servers are not really meant for casuals. 

• GP locked this topic
  • Joebl0w13 unlocked this topic

Archived