Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

18 minutes ago, Lethex said:

Hey, I though I would put this post out for you smaller ones that don't understand.

Wildcard is playing mindgames. People will start playing on the NEW clusters. Therefore they leave their own LEGACY servers. They will become ''ghost servers'' as described and WILDCARD wipe them. It's a circle. In the end every server will be wiped but just in the way you kids don't understand

Got to give them credits for this one , it was a smart one.

Nice try WC ;) 

Yes someone else who gets it.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Joebl0w13 said:

They have to be zero pop. Jeremy said if people, even 2, are playing on it they will leave it alone.

I thought he said near zero. I suppose it depends on his definition of "near zero." Four's not that far from zero. Eight isn't either when you consider the cap of seventy. Even fifteen's pretty close to zero when you look at a cap of a hundred.

In physics I think people consider anything less than a million to be close to zero. :D

I'm actually happy with their decision. I'm looking forward to the new servers, kinda like the idea of starting fresh and leaving all the bad feelings I had for the game bugs and horrible moments in the past lol. I'll wait to resume playing til the 8th so I can start fresh on Rag. Glad this issue is put to rest. Thanks wc! :)

35 minutes ago, Naerah(Qc) said:

Thats exactly where im going,they didn't fix anything, just expanded the problem. More over, they said they would fix it IN THE FUTURE, meaning there's no plan to crackdown on those doing it right now. So basically,  dupe as much as you can now because sometime in the future it's (potentially) not gonna be possible, but you will probably keep your duped stuff.

They're actively trying to fix duping as we argue about it. Or do you not follow them on twitter or read the patch notes? It's going to be a constant battle because people always find a way to cheat the system. As they are now done with disc iteration we will probably see alot more improvements to the online aspect of the game so maybe just let us that are happy bout the news be happy about it instead of poking holes in the boat.

3 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Re-read it. I just quoted it.

I just did,  it says 10% servers wiped across all platforms,  they are not even sure what these servers are yet,  but lowest 10% wiped.  Then they will look at the legacy servers again in three months  and look to repurpose the ghost town servers ie low pop servers.  If your server is not low pop by then it will be in six months when they check again.

2 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Re-read it. I just quoted it.

just did:

The original release as tagged at the top of this thread [emphasis added]

We will also be taking steps to remove some of our ‘ghost town’ servers, where the player population has remained near-zero for an extended duration of time. We’ll take a look at the statistics and will be repurposing 10% of the lowest count servers across all platforms. Once we know which servers these are; we'll preserve the save files and upload them, so if you so wish to use them, you can. Players will also have time to move through Cross-ARK to a different secure Legacy server. Every three months we will be taking a review of the Legacy Officials to see what the numbers are like and may consider repurposing more ‘ghost towns’, however, the goal will be to preserve any place with human activity.

He said "near-zero" in the official announcement not "zero."  IFF that statement has been clarified somewhere else, I'd appreciate a link to the clarification, but the original statement as quoted above does not say 

if people, even 2, are playing on it they will leave it alone.

far from it, in fact.

Now, I'm going to stay on my legacy server and wait things out.  At any given time of day I check, we typically have 20 people on.  I know a few of them are planning to move to Ragnarok; and that's going to be a problem because they are not going to tear down their bases to open up space and they are going to pop back every 2 weeks to reset timers (so nothing is really solved).  But, I'm getting by doing what I want to do in my little corner of the world.

1 minute ago, electricblooz said:

just did:

The original release as tagged at the top of this thread [emphasis added]

He said "near-zero" in the official announcement not "zero."  IFF that statement has been clarified somewhere else, I'd appreciate a link to the clarification, but the original statement as quoted above does not say 

far from it, in fact.

Now, I'm going to stay on my legacy server and wait things out.  At any given time of day I check, we typically have 20 people on.  I know a few of them are planning to move to Ragnarok; and that's going to be a problem because they are not going to tear down their bases to open up space and they are going to pop back every 2 weeks to reset timers (so nothing is really solved).  But, I'm getting by doing what I want to do in my little corner of the world.

Here's the interview: http://www.pcgamer.com/ark-survival-evolveds-design-lead-on-huge-server-wipe-reversal-and-new-structure-post-pc-launch/

1 minute ago, Specter229 said:

They're actively trying to fix duping as we argue about it. Or do you not follow them on twitter or read the patch notes? It's going to be a constant battle because people always find a way to cheat the system. As they are now done with disc iteration we will probably see alot more improvements to the online aspect of the game so maybe just let us that are happy bout the news be happy about it instead of poking holes in the boat.

No i don't use/follow twitter, the official forum is here for that. If they're to lazy to put it in here then it's on them.

• Volunteer Moderator
6 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

I just did,  it says 10% servers wiped across all platforms,  they are not even sure what these servers are yet,  but lowest 10% wiped.  Then they will look at the legacy servers again in three months  and look to repurpose the ghost town servers ie low pop servers.  If your server is not low pop by then it will be in six months when they check again.

5 minutes ago, electricblooz said:

From an interview posted this morning:

http://www.pcgamer.com/ark-survival-evolveds-design-lead-on-huge-server-wipe-reversal-and-new-structure-post-pc-launch/

He is very clear:

"Number one: we need to take about ten percent of the servers down. Calling it a 'no wipe' is somewhat inaccurate, it'll be a wipe of servers that nobody plays on anymore. I'm talking about servers that literally no one has played on in weeks, these are basically ghost towns. We don't know exactly what servers those are yet but it's literally servers that have no player population."

Just now, Joebl0w13 said:

From an interview posted this morning:

http://www.pcgamer.com/ark-survival-evolveds-design-lead-on-huge-server-wipe-reversal-and-new-structure-post-pc-launch/?utm_content=bufferd87a2&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

He is very clear:

"Number one: we need to take about ten percent of the servers down. Calling it a 'no wipe' is somewhat inaccurate, it'll be a wipe of servers that nobody plays on anymore. I'm talking about servers that literally no one has played on in weeks, these are basically ghost towns. We don't know exactly what servers those are yet but it's literally servers that have no player population."

Ah ha! Even the mods are falling for the invisible link posting! I wonder if it's a gag Casanova came up with. :D

24 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

Sure I wanted the wipe. I was also fine with with segregation of servers. Luckily they didn't say for a month or 6 months. I am hoping it stays a complete segregation indefinitely.

after reading the interviews from the media with Jeremy it just seems weird that he told them they didn't have the money to do both, which I figured they didn't, but he still made the last minute decision to not wipe.

i am sure most of it was they didn't want the backlash, but I am stuck wondering now if they got bought out will there end up being snail forced pay to win or something. The money has to come from somewhere. Oh well gg guys.

we all including myself can walk away winners in this. I am just happy to know that they had been planning on wiping for awhile. Nobody can control last minute snap decisions and as time has shown WC is very good at changing their minds and rushing into things.

Well I am happy they took the reasonable aproach I advocated for, despite taking abuse for it. I am glad your just as happy they thought about wiping, I guess? I would say all decisions come down to last minute if you think about it, because it's not a decision untill it is made. So in effect all decisions are last minute. Plus, they kept their word. That is still worth something in some circles, most of the good servers I know of still value it also, and draw a HARD RED LINE right about there. Remember that, someone will always be in charge.

Just now, perk8504 said:

lol...funny when I read a poster say that they're upset that wildcard is going to be wiping legacy servers through this process

and then a couple posts later being upset about wildcard saying they won't wipe servers that have consistent play from small amounts of people

People are just generally upset when they are wrong. The mods do a good job keeping us from calling them out. Which does save on typing, but not on future decisions. I'm all about accountability, but her is probably not the place for it. 

5 hours ago, ShawnWolf said:

Lol dude if you think this means you'll get to keep all of your gear for good think again. As soon as your server's population drops below 20 on a daily basis they'll re-purpose it, which is going to happen seeing how nobody is going to want to play on old servers with the old cheated tames and items

But hey, whatever floats your boat.

100% false 

1 hour ago, Naerah(Qc) said:

Thats exactly where im going,they didn't fix anything, just expanded the problem. More over, they said they would fix it IN THE FUTURE, meaning there's no plan to crackdown on those doing it right now. So basically,  dupe as much as you can now because sometime in the future it's (potentially) not gonna be possible, but you will probably keep your duped stuff.

My guess is they will delete stacked forges and stuff like before unless theybplan to actually find the tribes that duped and remove them either way i agree the problem needs to be addressed 

Well played WC, have to say I'm pretty impressed with how you've handled this, effectively gave both sides of the fence exactly what they want.... for now at least anyway. 

I did call it yesterday, but they've saved Jeremy's skin by not wiping on release but essentially they have set the legacy servers up for a wipe in the future. Most people are going to flock to the new servers, making the legacy ones barren, over time the remaining players will either join them or get bored and leave and before long the "lagacy" servers will be a ghost long forgotten. 

It's a good call, plus all the extras said about the direction of the game have made me happy. Good day for ark. 

• GP locked this topic

Archived