Sound Pass

BigDally

7 hours ago, Sh4rk said:

-anky is too quiet, old footsteps and growls were much more badass, and well deserved for a badass dino

highly disagree and ankylosaurus is my favorite dinosaur but in ark its kind of on the small side still a badass like a honey badger but still i think the new sounds work well for it and the old sounds were just too big for it its old idle sound wouldnt seem out of place on something the size of the giga but no its just this little phiomia sized ball of spikes with a pickaxe for a tail.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't particularly like the new mining sound on rocks either. The other one sounded much nicer.

I just remembered a sound that I think needs to be changed (or in this case, added).

The current soudns for gates opening (dino gates and Behemoth gates), it fits the dino gates perfectly. But the behemoth stone and metal gates need to get a different sound bite because the sound clip is too short and not 'mighty' enough for the larger gates. Again the current sound fits the smaller dino gate perfectly, don't change that. But the larger behemoth gates need a new sound that fits how long they take to open. Tek doors are fine as is in all sizes.

On 6/8/2017 at 0:04 PM, Utlagi said:

mining sounds are lame. sounds like eating corn flakes without milk. bring back the thud

Could be they changed it to avoid damaging your hearing. I do recall someone complaining about this. The old sound had a high pitched loud part to it. I think the new sound is similar to the old but maybe run through a filter to reduce the volume and high pitch part (which I think is the most damaging to your hearing).

I know that personally, I can get some ringing in my ears after playing ARK about 3 hours. I get the same ringing if I go out to listen to loud music or I'm in the loud lab environment at work too long. I have some minor tinnitus though, but I'm sure I'm not the only one with some hearing problem that likes to play this game and not come away with ringing in the ears :D

I'm sorry, but what do you mean by chuffing from the sabertooth? I'm on XB1, so if it got an update, I didn't hear about it. If not, I would say that poor, noble and beautiful and classic prehistoric animal needs a damn roar. Come on, like.. WildCard gives a lion roar to the Thyla, which is not even a cat, but does not update the sabertooth with a roar too. The ridiculousness of this neglected decision truly astounds me.

2 hours ago, Utlagi said:

its up to the players to set their volume to a reasonable level and not damage their hearing. thats why we have volume sliders. also they didnt need to change the sound, just give it a pass through audio SW to normalize the levels. it would sound the same but less loud.

Not exactly true. You can have the average sound set to a reasonable level, but if the game has a wide dynamic range, you won't be able to hear the low level sounds if you turn the sound down to avoid the high volume sounds. Setting the sound levels so there are no unreasonably loud and sharp sounds in the game is up to the developers, not the players. 

An occasional loud noise like thunder is not a problem. But when you harvest a large number of trees, you will hear the chopping sound for possibly an hour straight, so this sound can have much more impact on affecting someones hearing.

Kind of like how a few decades ago, if someone was in a wheel chair we figured that was their problem, but these days we are a little kinder to those that don't have the average abilities or are getting the normal things that come with age. We are not all perfect physically or in our twenties that play this game.

The female character sounds....Dont like em. Not one bit. It throws me in a paradox when I get hurt because the voice makes me want to jump off a clff but if i did Id have to hear it again, or worse, Id have to hear that death sound she makes. Instead, im  forced to suffer through that sound. 
The problem with it is...It sounds too manly, like if rosie odonnel and arnold schwarzenegger had a baby. 
I would infinitely prefer the woman character to sound more feminine. These people in the ark, were the amazons in their prior life or normal people? if the former then ignore me, but if its the latter then please change it to fit better.
Maybe add a couple voices to choose from.

Also, old quetzal sound was perfect.

17 hours ago, WitchWednesday said:

I'm sorry, but what do you mean by chuffing from the sabertooth? I'm on XB1, so if it got an update, I didn't hear about it. If not, I would say that poor, noble and beautiful and classic prehistoric animal needs a damn roar. Come on, like.. WildCard gives a lion roar to the Thyla, which is not even a cat, but does not update the sabertooth with a roar too. The ridiculousness of this neglected decision truly astounds me.

Chuffing is a sound only Tigers make when happy.

You cna hear a little bit of this sound in the Saberteeth, mostly when asleep or when leveling up. Friggin adorable. I wouldn't mind the Saber getting a roar also though. All of the dino's should have one honestly. It's fun!

These are the sounds I think need to be changed.

Bronto - All the new sounds I think are fine but the it's steps, it's quieter than the trike's and it's a giant.

Giga - They definitely got it in the better direction but I feel it's a little too high pitched, deepen it's normal one and use the high pitched one for the Giga Bionic skin.

Quetzal - I loved their old sound, they should change it back, it reminds of the good old days before the flyer nerf.

Argy - Eating sound is horrible, can definitely tell it was from a human, but everything else is fine. 

Mosa and Plesio - Should have sounds for biting. 

All swimming mounts - Need to have swimming sounds like the Basilo. 

Tapejara - A little less cow like. 

Castoroides - More beaver, less demon. 

Roaring dinos - Need to be louder and more fierce. 

Dilophosaur - A little louder.

Diplocaulus - Less ferocious.

Wolf - Howl should be louder.

Gallimimus - Not as high pitched.

Oviraptor - Not as loud, especially his eating sound.  

New rex and giga roars sound awful; they're an incredibly indistinct and generic "animal making loud noise" sound and are completely unique to Ark itself. Not only that, but two of the few animals in the game that can make noise for the sake of making noise sound almost identical. That's... not... good.

:/

19 hours ago, Ulta said:

I just realized that the Spino makes the old Bronto idle noise when it...poops...this doesn't seem right at all.

It's always done that.

17 minutes ago, ShenziSixaxis said:

New rex and giga roars sound awful; they're an incredibly indistinct and generic "animal making loud noise" sound and are completely unique to Ark itself. Not only that, but two of the few animals in the game that can make noise for the sake of making noise sound almost identical. That's... not... good.

:/

It's always done that.

No it hasn't. Sometimes I hear what it's suppose to do (which is like a hissier version of the Sarco? something close), but then I randomly heard it do that when it took a dump and I got confused.

Chiming in again to speak about the Griffin and the Ragnarok map. The battle music in the Ragnarok map is barely audible at all, I can barely hear it =(

So far the Griffin seems okay, though that WOOSHING sound when you divebomb could be changed to either being a little quieter or just flat out changed to something less harsh on the ears. It doesn't sound like wind, it sounds like a hurricane when inside a tunnel. Too harsh.

14 minutes ago, Ulta said:

Chiming in again to speak about the Griffin and the Ragnarok map. The battle music in the Ragnarok map is barely audible at all, I can barely hear it =(

So far the Griffin seems okay, though that WOOSHING sound when you divebomb could be changed to either being a little quieter or just flat out changed to something less harsh on the ears. It doesn't sound like wind, it sounds like a hurricane when inside a tunnel. Too harsh.

Griffin lacks many sounds effects for various attacks. For example, it makes no sound when you attack and grab in the air.

Just returning to ARK from a little over a month long break. I have to say. The new Ambiant sounds are great. But.. Almost all of the new Dino sounds are cringworthy. This list really sums up a lot of the issues. My most hated is not even a dino sounds. it's the mining of stone to me, its like nails on a chalkboard I can't stand it. Enough so I kinda already quit playing for the moment. Might try again with the game muted but it is REALLY awful and does not sound right at all. 

Archived