How to Breed While Working 9 - 5?

Demerus

Hey all,

Is it actually possible to breed baby dinos safely while still maintaining a day job?

What are some techniques some of you use to make sure your dinos stay fed during the gaps between your commute and work day, as well as all the sleep required in between?

Some people I know work from home or don't work at all, but for those of us who are lucky/unlucky to have a day job, how to save babies from death?

I understand a tribe is meant to fill in the gaps but it isn't always possible for 1 person to manage the "nanny" position.

Also if you are in a tribe with adults who also share the 9 - 5 curse, what are some things you guys do to make things manageable and safe?

Weekends seem to be the only best time to do any sort of breeding effectively, but for the longer raise dinos, it pretty much puts them out of reach completely.

Share your thoughts, ideas and tips, looking forward to reading them! :)

Book some holidays. Seriously. 

Other than that a tribe helping out is always a boon. Solo is hard. 

I'd say the biggest benefit to solo is planning. It's more difficult the younger the babies are. I remember setting an alarm to get up in the middle of the night to make sure it had enough food. I think it would also be a lot easier if you weren't bothered about imprinting. If you do want 100% you need to come back to it more regularly than I'd like. Is it every 3 hours? I could be wrong on that one. 

100% imprint is out of the question for 9-5ers.  What i do and this works for wyverns also, get your eggs ready to hatch on thursday night.  Incubate them until they will hatch almost the minute you put them back down on friday.  

Now when you get home friday hatch right away, do a meat/berry run before you hatch.  By the time monday comes around you should be ok to leave them until you return from work.  Also if your base is in the south on the island i suggest you move north or away from other players.  Your dinos will eat less if they are in stasis and when you build in the south there is always someone moving past your base. 

I've bred plenty of things on official PvE servers. Filling two troughs full of cooked meat, as well as a few stacks of jerky in the babies inventory is usually more than enough to hold them over through the night/work day. Some players refuse to put in the extra time to grill all their meat, so they're faces with battling spoil timers at a greater rate.

As far as imprinting goes, I've only done that once because it was a perfect situation. My wife took a week off work to visit family in Vegas so she was able to spend some time playing when I couldn't. Her being three hours behind also helped with that, and we had to share accounts to imprint for each of our characters. We managed to fully imprint two bears that week.

So if you want to 100% imprint something, you're going to need to use up some of that vacation time and lose some sleep. Not worth the trouble, honestly.

45 minutes ago, Demerus said:

Hey all,

Is it actually possible to breed baby dinos safely while still maintaining a day job?

What are some techniques some of you use to make sure your dinos stay fed during the gaps between your commute and work day, as well as all the sleep required in between?

Some people I know work from home or don't work at all, but for those of us who are lucky/unlucky to have a day job, how to save babies from death?

I understand a tribe is meant to fill in the gaps but it isn't always possible for 1 person to manage the "nanny" position.

Also if you are in a tribe with adults who also share the 9 - 5 curse, what are some things you guys do to make things manageable and safe?

Weekends seem to be the only best time to do any sort of breeding effectively, but for the longer raise dinos, it pretty much puts them out of reach completely.

Share your thoughts, ideas and tips, looking forward to reading them! :)

I work 12 to 14 hours a day and still successfully breed my dinos.  It took some trial and error, but it works.

During the week, I work on getting any eggs almost ready to hatch for the upcoming weekend.  On Friday night, I hatch the eggs and power through the initial baby stage during the weekend when I can be online longer.  This way, come monday, either the dino is finished or most likely in the adolescent stage.

Regardless of when you choose to breed, you little dino will go into stasis mode if you are offline and no one else comes into render distance of your dino.  In stasis mode, the baby consumes approximately 10% less food than it does while you are online.  

Hopefully this helps, but it is definitely possible to successfully breed with a little planning and still maintain your career.

1 minute ago, jlhanna2 said:

I work 12 to 14 hours a day and still successfully breed my dinos.  It took some trial and error, but it works.

During the week, I work on getting any eggs almost ready to hatch for the upcoming weekend.  On Friday night, I hatch the eggs and power through the initial baby stage during the weekend when I can be online longer.  This way, come monday, either the dino is finished or most likely in the adolescent stage.

Regardless of when you choose to breed, you little dino will go into stasis mode if you are offline and no one else comes into render distance of your dino.  In stasis mode, the baby consumes approximately 10% less food than it does while you are online.  

Hopefully this helps, but it is definitely possible to successfully breed with a little planning and still maintain your career.

Oh and the comment of using cooked meat is a good one too.  Not only does the cook meat stack 30 vs. 20 for raw, it seems to increase food higher than raw when eaten by the dino.

Now, if you are looking for 100% imprinting and keeping your job, let me know how that works for you!

1 hour ago, Iamkemical said:

100% imprint is out of the question for 9-5ers.  What i do and this works for wyverns also, get your eggs ready to hatch on thursday night.  Incubate them until they will hatch almost the minute you put them back down on friday.  

Now when you get home friday hatch right away, do a meat/berry run before you hatch.  By the time monday comes around you should be ok to leave them until you return from work.  Also if your base is in the south on the island i suggest you move north or away from other players.  Your dinos will eat less if they are in stasis and when you build in the south there is always someone moving past your base. 

They are not asking for info how to 100% imprint. Just how to feed them.

I do several things to ensure feeding takes place in my absence at work. I  usually work 10 hour days and have had great success with the following procedures.

Not saying these are 100% foolproof, nothing is, cause this is, well.... ARK.

These suggestions work best for juvenile and adolescents. And more advantageous for Carnivore Dinos, since berry eaters are MUCH easier to raise when at work.

Consists of several lines of defense against starvation.

1. Put raw meat/berries into Dino inventory so if/when trough runs out, they will eat from inventory directly.

2. Carno Only- Place cooked meat into inventory, once the raw meat is gone/spoiled they will eat off the cooked meat which has a longer spoil timer.

3. Carno Only - Place cooked meat jerky into inventory, very long spoil timer. They eat this after raw meat and cooked meats are gone.

4. Carno/Berry - Place unfavorite kibble in inventory, Dodo Kibble or Dilo Kibble, I usually have 700-800 laying around. MUCH longer spoil timer. They eat this last.

Never had a situation where they hit the kibble before I could get home. Megalosaurus might be one of the exceptions to this.

With these steps, they will undoubtedly live till you get home.

Of course, all bets are off if you get hit with the starve bug, which has only happened to me once out of around 400 raises of dinos.

Good luck and happy breeding/raising your dinos.

I usually hatch eggs when I get home I have raised countless Rexs and woke up to them just fine. Then filled 6-8 troughs with raw meat and 2 with cooked. It will last at least an 8 hour day if you have 4 Rexs. We also have a dozen fridges maybe more filled with raw and cooked meat. If you want 100% imprint do it on a weekend on a weekend or you will only get about 60-70%.

Yeah it's possible, best thing to do is wait till your day off to hatch it( or the night before depending on  how long it takes to get to juvenile). When I go to work or sleep i fill the trough with cooked or raw meat and and in the dino have it filled with cooked meat as a back up. 

If you're interested in imprinting then the best bet is to wait for your vacation, OR  technically it could be possible while still working.

most imprints are 3 to 4 hours apart so depending on how far it's the commute you'll end up missing mayb one or two during the day. 

Which mean you can potentially make it up during the night, by taking a nap after work and setting alarms to wake you real quick it's possible you can get close to perfect imprint.

course that's just theoretical and your timing would have to be on point.

Im also a worker from 9-5 :)

1. Have tribemates and share the pain of breeding dinos. In my tribe we have adults with workplace, secondary school students, university students even some primary school boys. So during exam period, university folks available on all the day, the worker class available in the night (from 8PM till 2AM - because wee have no parents to command us to go to bed), the secondary/primary school boys are available from 3PM-9PM...

2. Consider finding a stable unofficial with proper settings. Even if I would be a pensioner with all the week available to play :)  I couldn't bear the official rates. Thats unbearable for me, I will not ever spend real life days on taming/breeding an internet pixel anymal. NEVER EVER!  But lucky we are, the game is configurable, so currently I play on a 8x taming/breeding server for 6 months by now, and thats OK for me. 12 hours for a rex, 24is hours for a quetz... still I dont breed giga, because I wont wake up in the night, I let the students with te love of gigantosaurus to do that :D

3. It is not the end of the world if mprinting is not 100%... so nothing happens if some cuddling is missed... especially because it is so easy to lose a dino due bugs - not to mention the PVP servers -in a blink of an eye, so why bother that couple percent extra in the stats...

Your best bet is an unofficial server. i put on a server with some boosts to xp and tame (x3) but a big boost to breeding/imprinting (x8).

this would make the longest maturing times just under a day. I played official in the beginning but stopped just because the time i can spend doesn't come close to what's needed for this.

well apparantly breeding isnt for us working class people, or so ive been told ;) we should just deal with it *cleans up salt*

now on a serious note this is what ive gathered so far on breeding

this is for official servers and preferably if you have a tribe.

-you can use the floating glitch if you want to exploit. it safes you a buttload of food. 

-use dodo kibble (or any other kibble you have tons of) as food. it gives more food than meat and spoils alot slower.

-hatch incubate eggs as close to hatching as possible. and hatch them at the beginning of your time off to power through the baby stage. for the high end dinos this requires you to not have hobbies, children with hobbies or a wife that nags as you will need up to 9 hours for rexes until they get out of baby stage and more time afterwards to fill troughs.

Imprinting is practically impossible for working class people that have a lick of common sense and realise sacrificing sleep or getting into fights with SO's is not supposed to happen for a video game. :) 

the best option is to go unofficial although i feel this is a stupid solution. its a bit unreasonable for us working class people to have to play the changed version of the game because we dont have the time. come on what are they balancing their game on? the 1% of exceptions to society?

anyway i digress. for me personally, even while knowing all these things its still impossible to breed with official settings.  because i simply 'live'

40 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

the best option is to go unofficial although i feel this is a stupid solution. its a bit unreasonable for us working class people to have to play the changed version of the game because we dont have the time. come on what are they balancing their game on? the 1% of exceptions to society?

Why would it be unreasonable? I treat these settings as the difficulty settings in other game... for people with my reflexes, an action FPS on normal setting is more than enough, while a Quake champion from Kore would play on nightmare difficulty. We both have our share of enjoyment, and because I play on easier level, I still play the game as intended.

The maturing/breeding/taming settins do not alter the game experience at all.. they just eliminate the timesink what I dont need (you migh read this argument from me in other topics like quetzal *cough* speed *cough* nerf *cough* :)  @developers Could we have an ini on speed leveling please?)

Currently i dont see ANY benefit of the official servers vs the unofficial I play on. We have a non playing but available admin (so we have almost immediate support in case of admin fixable bugs), the server is up for 7/24 (not a single downtime in my 6 months there), the admin continously poll the population on server settings (eg we just changed from 10x breeding to 8x on vote results), banhammer hits the cheaters very quickly, it is a server cluster with 3 servers (so SE/Island/Center available WITHOUT the fear of chinese transfer raiders). Why would I suffer on an official server with zero benefits? :D

20 minutes ago, szabiferi said:

Why would it be unreasonable? I treat these settings as the difficulty settings in other game... for people with my reflexes, an action FPS on normal setting is more than enough, while a Quake champion from Kore would play on nightmare difficulty. We both have our share of enjoyment, and because I play on easier level, I still play the game as intended.

The maturing/breeding/taming settins do not alter the game experience at all.. they just eliminate the timesink what I dont need (you migh read this argument from me in other topics like quetzal *cough* speed *cough* nerf *cough* :)  @developers Could we have an ini on speed leveling please?)

Currently i dont see ANY benefit of the official servers vs the unofficial I play on. We have a non playing but available admin (so we have almost immediate support in case of admin fixable bugs), the server is up for 7/24 (not a single downtime in my 6 months there), the admin continously poll the population on server settings (eg we just changed from 10x breeding to 8x on vote results), banhammer hits the cheaters very quickly, it is a server cluster with 3 servers (so SE/Island/Center available WITHOUT the fear of chinese transfer raiders). Why would I suffer on an official server with zero benefits? :D

you just said it yourself, for you the NORMAL settings would be ok but for the quake pro it would increase, so according to this, the NORMAL settings on official should be for NORMAL players with NORMAL schedules and the hardcore players could play unofficial to increase the settings, now its the other way around :) 

16 hours ago, FredFlinstoner said:

Find a tribe mate or two on other side of the world then everybody can have a 9-5 and somebody will always be available.

Works great if WC makes region servers........ most people choose a server from there part of the world. So you have players from the same time zone then.... your lucky if there are players from another time zone on your server.....

• Volunteer Moderator
34 minutes ago, Awakatanka said:

Works great if WC makes region servers........ most people choose a server from there part of the world. So you have players from the same time zone then.... your lucky if there are players from another time zone on your server.....

What? You can't be serious. All I see are German U.K. Australia New Zealand players on supposed na servers. The server I'm on now has only 10 people from North America the rest are from all over the world. My last pvp tribe only 3 na players out of 30 on a different server. I have no idea what servers official you play on but I've never had a problem finding ppl in different time zones across the world. 

Generally they love playing on na servers because they get more action during there night time. And they love kicking whining American kids butts is usually the number 2 answer.

7 minutes ago, Captnmorgan said:

What? You can't be serious. All I see are German U.K. Australia New Zealand players on supposed na servers. The server I'm on now has only 10 people from North America the rest are from all over the world. My last pvp tribe only 3 na players out of 30 on a different server. I have no idea what servers official you play on but I've never had a problem finding ppl in different time zones across the world. 

Generally they love playing on na servers because they get more action during there night time. And they love kicking whining American kids butts is usually the number 2 answer.

higher lag and ping. is a reason. and not al servers are like the one you play on..

You only need to sit with it for an hour max. Once it can hold enough food, just fill up a lot of feeding troughs by it (More the better). Then just make sure the baby has enough food to make it to juvenile, then it will eat from the troughs and should keep alive for 12 hours easily. Then all you have to do it just top up the troughs when you have chance.

Archived