The death of PvE

Whistler

The death of PvE

Just wanted to start by saying I've been playing ark PvE for over 14 months now. Started as a solo player, stayed that way for most of my time ingame. But, after watching the ever increasing influx of refugees from PvP servers to PvE and seeing the PvE community go to crap as a result, I've decided to join the exodus of people leaving the game. The devs have persisted in destroying what was once a fantastic game with their attitude to griefing and general lack of support or empathy for communities destroyed by an influx of angry PvPers looking to take their anger out on anyone. I've seen people have their stuff stolen, dinos kidnapped for ransom, bases trashed by kiting aggressive dinos onto them, new players pillared in and harassed until they left the server, etc etc on and on. Only response i've seen from the devs is "well, that's the game". My question is, if that's the game, why bother putting a PvE component in in the first place? The inability to respond to griefers or effectively police a server means the devs need to do it. If they don't, the server becomes a poopfight, people leave and don't return, the community dies, and with it a game we all enjoy. Add this to the latest anti-fun patches (the pegomastix and the theri are way, way too far south for the game to be attempted as a solo player anymore! It's almost impossible to get a start unless you have friends, which never used to be the case.) and we have a game that's in trouble. If the Devs aren't careful, you're going to have almost all the PvE servers run by 12 - 15 year old griefers who take pleasure in chasing people off instead of actually playing the game. Yes the server can come together to chase the assholes off, but when you get a new influx of them every day, eventually the PvPers outnumber the PvEers and chaos ensues; everyone winds up backstabbing and sneaking around, chat disappears apart from insults accusations and threats and what was once a pretty tight knit community of friendly helpful people all trying the beat the game devolves into a squabble with everyone trying to shaft each other. :/

1 minute ago, Musketeer said:

PvP in Ark just doesn't work. You cannot blame people for playing PvE instead.

What doesn't work is the current Cross Server Limits. Here is a solution anyone can go on any server but you can only transfer stuff from the same server region. Ex. One American Server to Another Not a Chinese Server to a American one.

19 minutes ago, Whistler said:

The death of PvE

Just wanted to start by saying I've been playing ark PvE for over 14 months now. Started as a solo player, stayed that way for most of my time ingame. But, after watching the ever increasing influx of refugees from PvP servers to PvE and seeing the PvE community go to crap as a result, I've decided to join the exodus of people leaving the game. The devs have persisted in destroying what was once a fantastic game with their attitude to griefing and general lack of support or empathy for communities destroyed by an influx of angry PvPers looking to take their anger out on anyone. I've seen people have their stuff stolen, dinos kidnapped for ransom, bases trashed by kiting aggressive dinos onto them, new players pillared in and harassed until they left the server, etc etc on and on. Only response i've seen from the devs is "well, that's the game". My question is, if that's the game, why bother putting a PvE component in in the first place? The inability to respond to griefers or effectively police a server means the devs need to do it. If they don't, the server becomes a poopfight, people leave and don't return, the community dies, and with it a game we all enjoy. Add this to the latest anti-fun patches (the pegomastix and the theri are way, way too far south for the game to be attempted as a solo player anymore! It's almost impossible to get a start unless you have friends, which never used to be the case.) and we have a game that's in trouble. If the Devs aren't careful, you're going to have almost all the PvE servers run by 12 - 15 year old griefers who take pleasure in chasing people off instead of actually playing the game. Yes the server can come together to chase the assholes off, but when you get a new influx of them every day, eventually the PvPers outnumber the PvEers and chaos ensues; everyone winds up backstabbing and sneaking around, chat disappears apart from insults accusations and threats and what was once a pretty tight knit community of friendly helpful people all trying the beat the game devolves into a squabble with everyone trying to shaft each other. :/

I am sure this was not a problem for the PVE universe until Wildcard decided to implement the stupid idea of open cross ARK transfers where you could transfer anything from one server to another. Open cross ARK server transfer is one of the stupidest things I feel Wildcard has done. If they want server transfer is should be limited to clusters of 3 to 9 servers with each map. Personally I wish they would just do away with it. I am trying to hang until full release to see what is done then. If it is not modified from current open transfers I may just move on.

6 minutes ago, JaHakk said:

I am sure this was not a problem for the PVE universe until Wildcard decided to implement the stupid idea of open cross ARK transfers where you could transfer anything from one server to another. Open cross ARK server transfer is one of the stupidest things I feel Wildcard has done. If they want server transfer is should be limited to clusters of 3 to 9 servers with each map. Personally I wish they would just do away with it. I am trying to hang until full release to see what is done then. If it is not modified from current open transfers I may just move on.

Transefering is good on its own it just needs a region lock.

*Shrug*    Your complaint isn't with the game,  it's with the community.     That's a fair complaint of a full loot sandbox game that attracts hardcore PvPers.

I like games like this that also attract  those players.  Eve, Perp, Albion,  etc.   I appreciate the hardcore play more than my friends who I will affectionately label as carebears.  But I'm also older than the age of 12 and generally prefer to be a nice guy.

My solution to playing this game and avoiding bad community?  Make/find a new community.   My friends and I play on our own private passworded server. We're all adults older than 20s. We're laid back and very chill.  There's even a girl! no way!    You are more than welcome to come play with us.  We cross to other games from time to time as well.   Message me for details if you want.

-K

i keep seeing people like you blaming the devs but do you blame the government when someone gets shot? guns arent allowed but the government lacks the resources to go to every house and sweep it for illegal possessions. Its impossible for WC to take care of every griefer on every server. its not their fault people grief. its people who abuse the current game mechanics. we couldnt just be good human beings and play the game the way it should be, nooo we need to abuse every glitch/exploit there is instead of reporting it. the death of PVE and ARK itself (if it comes to that) will not be on the devs, it will be on US, the COMMUNITY, the PLAYERS. You shouldve seen the rage when the devs finally decided to fix the anky quetz exploit, people were raging because they actually FIXED a mechanic that was being abused. As much as i hate to say it, we are one of the most toxic communities ive ever been a part off. constantly blaming, name calling etc. if you want this game to be any good, start with yourself, create a community on your server. its easier for griefers to troll servers where everyone fights for themselves. if youre one big happy family and take care of eachother griefers dont stand a chance.

the devs dont need to fix their game, we need to fix our community...

1 hour ago, Kayin said:

*Shrug*    Your complaint isn't with the game,  it's with the community.     That's a fair complaint of a full loot sandbox game that attracts hardcore PvPers.

I like games like this that also attract  those players.  Eve, Perp, Albion,  etc.   I appreciate the hardcore play more than my friends who I will affectionately label as carebears.  But I'm also older than the age of 12 and generally prefer to be a nice guy.

My solution to playing this game and avoiding bad community?  Make/find a new community.   My friends and I play on our own private passworded server. We're all adults older than 20s. We're laid back and very chill.  There's even a girl! no way!    You are more than welcome to come play with us.  We cross to other games from time to time as well.   Message me for details if you want.

-K

This!  Dedicated servers IMO is the perfect place for PVE folks.  I play PVP but my mom, brother-in-law and sister all play PVE.  My sister is also getting disheartened by the PVE server they play on for similar issues including the massive amount of dino's, bases, pillars, etc that tends to pile up in an official PVE server.  The fact that it's PVE also means there is nothing anyone can do about all of it!  In a dedicated server you are less likely to have the amount of folks playing anyways which by it's own nature eliminates most of these issues.  Now I've run my own dedicated server before, and at the time the biggest issue was the fact that the server software was very glitchy and crashed all the time.  Therefore it's important to make sure you are playing on a server that is up at least 95% of the time. It can be quite frustrating if you want to play but the server is down...

1 hour ago, Whistler said:

The death of PvE

You just sound bitter and are making a theoretical worse case scenario. I know on my official PvE server there are always going to be griefers but the atmosphere WC is trying to create is as if you are trying to survive on an island. People aren't going to live in perfect harmony, one of the biggest draws for me in this game is forging relationships with other tribes, setting up trade deals etc. With this you start to gain allies for dealing with griefers, one tribe on my server has had trade sanctions put against him and harassed until he falls back in line. 

2 hours ago, Whistler said:

The death of PvE

I've been playing pvp for longer as a solo player and it's a lot harder then pie as your always being raided or clubbed .. the devs increased the harvest rate.. so build a damn wood base to keep your stuff in then I mean they made pve for the people that don't have time for pvp and your still complaining the games a game not a life.. people get board of it that's not the devs fault .. and the whole thing about the trolls on there can easily be prevented..

Every part of this post screams "Wrong!" to me.

First, yea, they don't do anything about kiting anymore, they used to, but then they changed the way base damage works so that now, things have to aggro onto you or something else belonging to you in order to damage your base, so there's no reason to do anything about it, because if you built your base right, it wouldn't be an issue.

Second, surrounding people's bases with pillars or walls is in fact something they will help with, if you do the work for them (screenshots, mapping out the affected coordinates)

Third, they do in fact deal with harassment. I have personally seen 4 people that I know were reported for harassment completely disappear.

So yea, clearly you're not actually reporting these things, or you're wording things rudely, and they're choosing not to deal with you because you're being a jerk.

On ps4 is impossible to play on official pvp..the game is in the hands of 3/4 persons each server..they are not enough to make you wildcard gain some money! Every server is full of construction..why a person have to buy this game now after months if know the real situation on the servers..I wanna buy scorched but I don't. Probably I had to buy it the first day and stay 8h online everyday :)

Also pve go in this way...bah..so sad cause some dynamic are interesting

Thats why I keep on the low and only talk in chat if Im basically giving something away to build up a good rep. People are going to be people, and when you put them into a place where they can live without morals prepare for the worst. Build within your means, dont jump into others conflicts, build your base smart so you can protect yourself, and understand people are toxic. 

I play on 2 PvE officials because dedi are not realistic on Xbox, so its really the only way my friends and I can play at anytime. 

4 hours ago, BobRoss said:

i keep seeing people like you blaming the devs but do you blame the government when someone gets shot? guns arent allowed but the government lacks the resources to go to every house and sweep it for illegal possessions. Its impossible for WC to take care of every griefer on every server. its not their fault people grief. its people who abuse the current game mechanics. we couldnt just be good human beings and play the game the way it should be, nooo we need to abuse every glitch/exploit there is instead of reporting it. the death of PVE and ARK itself (if it comes to that) will not be on the devs, it will be on US, the COMMUNITY, the PLAYERS. You shouldve seen the rage when the devs finally decided to fix the anky quetz exploit, people were raging because they actually FIXED a mechanic that was being abused. As much as i hate to say it, we are one of the most toxic communities ive ever been a part off. constantly blaming, name calling etc. if you want this game to be any good, start with yourself, create a community on your server. its easier for griefers to troll servers where everyone fights for themselves. if youre one big happy family and take care of eachother griefers dont stand a chance.

the devs dont need to fix their game, we need to fix our community...

Yea the thing is they fix things that don't hurt the community. Using your anky/quetz example, who in PVE did that hurt? 

Now tell me why they removed kiting from there ban-able offenses list? Why is it ok for someone to kite a giga/titano into your base on pve?

Why is it not griefing to plaster the server with pillars.  

48 minutes ago, akamurk said:

Yea the thing is they fix things that don't hurt the community. Using your anky/quetz example, who in PVE did that hurt? 

Now tell me why they removed kiting from there ban-able offenses list? Why is it ok for someone to kite a giga/titano into your base on pve?

Why is it not griefing to plaster the server with pillars.  

The kiting is okay because you can stop it from hurting you entirely by building right. Build a wall they giga can't see over, even out of thatch, and it won't break in.

The Anky/quetz thing didn't necessarily hurt anyone in pve, but it certainly did in pvp, and as we all (should) know by now, if they make a change for pvp, they make it for pve too. They also make pve specific changes, such as disabling flyer carry.

It's not griefing to pillar everywhere (as long as you're not surrounding bases) because everyone has the same opportunity to claim land, and because it is a sandbox game, you can claim as much land as you can hold.

The game needs more support for PVE built in, not just PVP with some restrictions as it is now to make the game into PVE.

The back stabbing starts when your base is damaged, destroyed, or dinos go missing. The log says almost nothing as to who or what did it (because the log is designed for PVP, not PVE). Now if you have someone in your tribe that you don't know well, you start wondering if they did it or was it a griefer not in the tribe?

Once you can't trust the game or your fellow tribe mates, you might as well quit playing at that point, as the game just becomes too frustrating.

Sanbox games will have issues with griefers, there is no doubt about that. But you cannot place fault onto the game or the devs for this, when official servers are not 100% of the player base. I currently play on official pve, and wether or not I like this, I know I do need to be mindful of trolls and defend against that. PvE still has a pseudo-pvp environment when hostile players show up.... just learn to be smarter and better protect your things, as trolls will not outlast a dedicated survivor :)

Also, there are plenty of small and well knit Ark communities on unofficial. Beleive it or not, my original server was an unofficial pvp, and nobody fought... ever. Everyone was like family to one another, it was nice. We barely worried about base defense, and those who had turrets, generally kept them turned off.

Don't let a few poor experiences shape your view of Ark. Much like any other sandbox game, the game itself is what you make of it, up to and including your choice of server/community. It can be tough to find your niche, but when you do, you will have an experience you will never regret <3

5 hours ago, akamurk said:

How do people who just started playing have the same opporunity to claim land? There is only a certain amount of land and servers? Hold? It's pve there's nothing you can do about the pillars...

Start playing earlier like everyone else. Or claim what hasn't been claimed. Even on overpopulated servers there's always something.

Land claiming is first come first served, the only limitation on it is your ability to maintain your claim.

13 hours ago, Whistler said:

The death of PvE

1. Build a better base thats all you have to do not out of wood out of metal if your 100 or close to it and your base is wood well i guess you deserve to die out....we had the same problem we build metal boom problem solved.

2. You leave crap unlocked well again thats your own fault pin code everything even if you leave it unlocked you still have to figure out a pin code. And if you think 1234 is good enough I found someones vault pinned 1234 30k Ingots thanks for the free stuff!!

3. Again be strategic about base building if you think your safe when you log out and you log out on a ceiling think again, log out on a foundation or log out on the ground and build a safe room like most do to not find out you were drowned etc

6 hours ago, vanyelxp5 said:

The kiting is okay because you can stop it from hurting you entirely by building right. Build a wall they giga can't see over, even out of thatch, and it won't break in.

The Anky/quetz thing didn't necessarily hurt anyone in pve, but it certainly did in pvp, and as we all (should) know by now, if they make a change for pvp, they make it for pve too. They also make pve specific changes, such as disabling flyer carry.

It's not griefing to pillar everywhere (as long as you're not surrounding bases) because everyone has the same opportunity to claim land, and because it is a sandbox game, you can claim as much land as you can hold.

No build it out of metal problems all solved stop being lazy and cheap and using junk like thatch it just doesnt cut it. Dont build a massive structure you cant keep up with keep it simple small but smart

44 minutes ago, Frozenhole said:

No build it out of metal problems all solved stop being lazy and cheap and using junk like thatch it just doesnt cut it. Dont build a massive structure you cant keep up with keep it simple small but smart

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't build out of at least stone. What I'm saying is that if the wall is high enough, and your tames are a decent distance from them, it doesn't matter what they are made of, because nothing will aggro on them.

Archived