Why do dinos sink into the floor and never return.

oScottieHo

1 hour ago, oScottieHo said:

Could someone explain to me the whole mechanic of how and why dinos sink into the floor,then disappear.

Just lost a 290 beaver that allowed us to make a number of mastercraft/ascendant bps,bit of a bummer but id like to know what causes this so we can avoid it in the future.

No idea. I lost my Pteranodon yesterday in the same way :(

They don't it is your imagination, I know this because of the patch notes for 251.1

v251.1
* On CrossARK servers, your Dinos will now indicate the server they were Tamed on when you look at them (and you can see this on dead enemy dinos as well, along with the server they were previously Uploaded from, if any, useful for tracking points of origin.) Requires Server Update.
* Fixed a case of Dinos falling thru bases/floors on client
* Fixed server option ConfigOverrideItemCraftingCosts to work properly for inventories that have been loaded from saved game (so it works properly now ;)Requires Server Update.

See, all fixed now :D

Well, all fixed except for the fact that they still sink through the floor, but apart from that it's all fixed.

7 hours ago, Grounded said:

They don't it is your imagination, I know this because of the patch notes for 251.1

See, all fixed now :D

Well, all fixed except for the fact that they still sink through the floor, but apart from that it's all fixed.

"on client"
There are cases where they sink through only visually, and other people see them where they are - where they should be. A relog fixes this.
What's described here is the animals actually falling through. Not just visually glitching. Two different things. Hence "a case of..." these issues all have a bunch of different variables, which is why it's such a pain to identify and fix them.

dinosaurs render before structures. so when someone pases by your house dino renders starts falling, imidiatly after (if lucky) the floor renders ending in the dino a lil bit lower. at some point the dino is lower enough for the game to think it is bellow the ceiling or inside the foundation.

understanding how it works isnt helping to solve it but i think this is what happens

1 hour ago, LadyofHats said:

dinosaurs render before structures. so when someone pases by your house dino renders starts falling, imidiatly after (if lucky) the floor renders ending in the dino a lil bit lower. at some point the dino is lower enough for the game to think it is bellow the ceiling or inside the foundation.

understanding how it works isnt helping to solve it but i think this is what happens

I've seen an Ankylo get sucked up by the volcano crater on The Island - no structures to render there.

3 hours ago, hpbaxx said:

I've seen an Ankylo get sucked up by the volcano crater on The Island - no structures to render there.

But the Dino still needs to render!

49 minutes ago, tiryanabell said:

My unconscious argent fell through the vulcano crater floor and disappeared yesterday while taming. Just needed 1 more meat, ..., bummer. It was a low level and on single player with some increased settings, so no biggie to go tame another. But still, it's a shame you lose creatures due to a game bug.

While you were standing there it just fell through the map that's strange!

On the latest Xbox patch update 747.0 the visuals of dinos sinking into things has gotten much worse.  I can fix it by riding the dino and it goes back on top of the foundation, but leave base and just go outside and come back in and they're sunk down again.  I'll try signing out and back in a try.  I also notice that sometimes eggs will appear on the foundation but nothing I can do will pick it up, seems to visually be there but I'm unable to pick it up, even looking around the area and not directly at it I don't get the UI to pick it up.

• Volunteer Moderator
21 minutes ago, mleii said:

On the latest Xbox patch update 747.0 the visuals of dinos sinking into things has gotten much worse.  I can fix it by riding the dino and it goes back on top of the foundation, but leave base and just go outside and come back in and they're sunk down again.  I'll try signing out and back in a try.  I also notice that sometimes eggs will appear on the foundation but nothing I can do will pick it up, seems to visually be there but I'm unable to pick it up, even looking around the area and not directly at it I don't get the UI to pick it up.

I have fixed the issue before by simply leaving the area as quickly as possible and then returning; no need to log out, at least on PC.  I have a massive, slow loading base, with a ton of tames.  I have had, Qs fall through 2 floors and end up under by building.  I would just grab my fast Argy, fly out of render range and then return, and the issue usually fixed itself, since it was simply my client not interpreting the data correctly.  Usually, the issue with them falling through was on log in.

Now, that issue is different from where there, as best I can guess, are possible map issues.  The volcano bowl always seemed a bit glitchy to me, so I generally never left anything in the bowl when I was leaving the area.  

Some parts of the Center also appear to be a little danagerous.  I have lost 2 Qs on a DC in the caves of the floating island.  One was on my personal Admin account(private server), so I just made a new one; was for Admin utility, not playing.  The other was an old favorite, which I was able to recover by taking a previous save file and loading it to my PC, starting Ark in Server Mode, logging in with Client mode(I can run both on my machine), and then uploading said Q to the Obelisk and later downloading it to our server(which requires a restart to turn on downloading; I then changed the setting back to block downloads which take effect on the next restart).

Also lost 2 Gigantos in a big cave in the Redwood(Center), along with a Diplo and Carno; in a short amount of time, so I moved everything else out.  Didn't bother to go through the effot to get those back, though the Gigantos were recent high level tames; sometimes, you just deal with it, including the lost kibble(which was much harder to get than the Gigantos).

Otherwise, I have rarely had anything vanish, between the 3 different maps(Island, Center, SE) on multiple servers, with lots and lots of tames and big bases.  Maybe I have been lucky in picking good spots to build.

8 minutes ago, Jerryn said:

I have fixed the issue before by simply leaving the area as quickly as possible and then returning; no need to log out, at least on PC.  I have a massive, slow loading base, with a ton of tames.  I have had, Qs fall through 2 floors and end up under by building.  I would just grab my fast Argy, fly out of render range and then return, and the issue usually fixed itself, since it was simply my client not interpreting the data correctly.  Usually, the issue with them falling through was on log in.

Now, that issue is different from where there, as best I can guess, are possible map issues.  The volcano bowl always seemed a bit glitchy to me, so I generally never left anything in the bowl when I was leaving the area.  

Some parts of the Center also appear to be a little danagerous.  I have lost 2 Qs on a DC in the caves of the floating island.  One was on my personal Admin account(private server), so I just made a new one; was for Admin utility, not playing.  The other was an old favorite, which I was able to recover by taking a previous save file and loading it to my PC, starting Ark in Server Mode, logging in with Client mode(I can run both on my machine), and then uploading said Q to the Obelisk and later downloading it to our server(which requires a restart to turn on downloading; I then changed the setting back to block downloads which take effect on the next restart).

Also lost 2 Gigantos in a big cave in the Redwood(Center), along with a Diplo and Carno; in a short amount of time, so I moved everything else out.  Didn't bother to go through the effot to get those back, though the Gigantos were recent high level tames; sometimes, you just deal with it, including the lost kibble(which was much harder to get than the Gigantos).

Otherwise, I have rarely had anything vanish, between the 3 different maps(Island, Center, SE) on multiple servers, with lots and lots of tames and big bases.  Maybe I have been lucky in picking good spots to build.

Thanks, I think I may have noticed the fix when I went out for resources before and didn't realize that I fixed it with that.  LOL  I was like, wait, why is it working now after going out on a metal run.

As for the Center map, I think you're right, there is an area on the Tropical North Island where things seem to sink into the ground a bit.  No idea if it's meant to do that, like say it's supposed to be moss as it looks different from other nearby ground that they don't sink down into.  Even placing fence foundations is tricky as it seems like it's sunk down into the ground.

I am worried that it's more than visual as a few times when I've gone back in I've ended up glitching outside my base when I signed back in even while inside.  Makes me think that something is putting my body down into the foundation and when I wake up after signing in the game sees me there and tries to find the next best location.  Always North, which puts me VERY close to being in the chasm that runs through the island.  Luckily I built my base a bit off of the edge so there is an edge I end up on.  Had to build a ramp and door so I can get back into my base from there and not end up down in the water and megalodon lunch.  LOL

4 hours ago, ninjaridz said:

But the Dino still needs to render!

While you were standing there it just fell through the map that's strange!

Not really, recently I tamed a trike and had it follow me back to my base which was in view distance, I got to my base and turned around and the trike was gone, nowhere to be seen, yet I could see further than the spot where I tamed it.    

a have lots of dodos and i had to build a room for them upstairs because their eggs are always falling through the floor, so this way it ends up in the room below them but what is worse that the dodos themselves keep falling through the floor so every time i go back to my base i have to go upstairs, pick them up and throw them back one after one... its just badly written physics, nothing else.

There are many things to cause this, some zones are just 'magical' that way (caves, cave enterances ect.),

or if your dino is standing where a rock wants to render then sometimes the rock/tree rendering will make the dino poof, no message, nothing.

Babies as they grow get bigger, if there is no room for them to get bigger sometimes they poof.

Sometimes dinos visually fall through floors and can be fixed by re-rendering the base by relog or leaving the area and coming back. 

And I'm sure there are a couple of other magical scenarios where dinos poof.(RIP Taco)

I never lost so many dinos in ark ... now in a few weeks at SE i see so many weird situations, we lost a lot! 

One procoptodon was following a tribe mate, he see the roo sinkin in the ground, half way, he can't ride it, the roo stop moving, and my tribemate try to hit with the whip...then it POOF! disapear. 

And in my bsae is  rly dangerous, we are moving now because we lost so many dinos. 

One doed encumbered with stone we use the wipe to move it and the doed move close to the vault and POOF! disappear 

In the same area, our paracer step in a wild morella and the morela was pushed in the ground, we can see it under the map trying to get out.

In other day my Thorny was following me, we pass close to the paracer, it get stuck so i move the paracer then i look and the thorny was half way in the ground, like swimming, he manage to go out.

The next time one tribe mate pres J for a second... The thorny was parked close to  the paracer.. the thorny disappear never show in the logs.

And the last dino is a Roo, disappear from base too, noting at logs.

We are building for the move, is a pvp server so it is hard, in the meantime i build a thatch floor in the place we see the dino swimm, and the doed disappear with the wip but every day is a risk to lose a dino because the bugs.

2 hours ago, Jerryn said:

This^ I generally avoid glitchy areas for this reason.  I haven't lost a tame once (I've played over 80 days real time) to falling thru the map. 

I think these problems are due to some dev making changes to physics for performance(so cheap server hosting is viable- which clearly, as things are now, it's not) while other changes are being made to the physics to try and fix this bug(s). New bugs are popping up as old ones are being fixed. Sometimes the newer ones are worse. I think they have to sacrifice some performance(client and server side) for dinos that don't fall through floors or the map itself.

I recently lost a nice wolf in the volcano cave because I tried to jump over a stalagmite and it then froze mid air. The only thing I could do was dismount it and once I did it just slowly sank towards the ground ... and then through it. I just saw its green nametag going smaller and smaller...

Archived