Mantis Egg Trick?

Teralight

A lot of people make the comment that you need to put them on sand or put them in a remote area but you know what, you need to put them in the most common area on the map so that all players are constantly rendering your mantis farm.

To that end, you want to build it around the scar, over the typical flight path seeing as most people travel from green / red obi direction.

This ensures your mantis are constantly going in and out of stasis as players fly over your farm and render it.

I have seen many mantis farms in the desert and the only one that has eggs every single time I fly over is the one I pass on my way to get milk.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Eyolis said:

Dinos do not need to go in/out of stasis for eggs anymore, just being in a render range of someone.
So you can just stay arround your farm in the desert if you want some eggs.

I'm making a few assumptions based on what you said, and that is either they ninja patched it with the latest update or you're talking about minuscule numbers. Possibly of a modded server or SP, maybe. Why? Because I rebuilt and relocated my 15+ mantises yesterday and got 122 eggs within a day, by "render jumping". On average, from 1-10 eggs within 5 minutes. Also, drop rate seemed lower while weather anomalies (storms). Location was "Unknown Region" but I can't verify it being better than desert as I haven't tested it myself. But I do know that particular setup works 1000x better than our main base, which netted us only 80 eggs over many weeks. 

1 hour ago, eESTlane said:

I'm making a few assumptions based on what you said, and that is either they ninja patched it with the latest update or you're talking about minuscule numbers. Possibly of a modded server or SP, maybe. Why? Because I rebuilt and relocated my 15+ mantises yesterday and got 122 eggs within a day, by "render jumping". On average, from 1-10 eggs within 5 minutes. Also, drop rate seemed lower while weather anomalies (storms). Location was "Unknown Region" but I can't verify it being better than desert as I haven't tested it myself. But I do know that particular setup works 1000x better than our main base, which netted us only 80 eggs over many weeks. 

I doubt your main base was on the sand floor and in unknown region. Those 2 help but again, it's not about stasis, dinos now make eggs if someone is in the render range, going out of it and getting back won't make it better, only the location, the environment, etc.

Back in the time, you couldn't get egg if you were standing near your dinos, you had to go far away and then come back to get the chance of having eggs but it's no more and thanks god.

@Eyolis

Heh? Whatcha smoking, Willis? Have you tamed mantises? Those specifically. Bastards are bugged. Whilst I have no problem with any of the other dinos, mantises drop rate is silly. Maybe they applied the location and environment factor to them but that then only applies to them. I will say that I'd prefer the "renderjumping" on those ants when every 2 min I get a fresh batch of eggs, on average 3-4 from 15+ females. Can you beat that with by staying in render (which I agree applies to the rest of the field)?

17 hours ago, eESTlane said:

@Eyolis

Heh? Whatcha smoking, Willis? Have you tamed mantises? Those specifically. Bastards are bugged. Whilst I have no problem with any of the other dinos, mantises drop rate is silly. Maybe they applied the location and environment factor to them but that then only applies to them. I will say that I'd prefer the "renderjumping" on those ants when every 2 min I get a fresh batch of eggs, on average 3-4 from 15+ females. Can you beat that with by staying in render (which I agree applies to the rest of the field)?

I'm not smoking anything and i have tamed tons of them. They aren't bugged. The drop rate of egg is way lower on purpose and yes they have this environment factor applied on them like some other dinos on the island now have.

In 3/4 hours we got 30 eggs just by staying at the farm.

-- I'm not sure about a general method, but yes, I do normally get an Egg on a fresh server/game reboot or "moving in and out of render distance" with-in that 15min to hour gap. I've done things like hatched certain Eggs and other timely task and never seen a Mantis Egg drop (2~4 hour period). But have left the area and returned and noticed the Egg "just appear". No klue about the "Unknown Area" snippet. Not sure how that would effect anything. I think overall its just bad koding, many SCE animals function oddly/buggy.

7 hours ago, ltbosox said:

Anyone care to give specifics as to where the unknown regions are in the desert? All I can find are little slivers between two regions. Are there larger areas out there? Can I get some coordinates or at least an approx location?

If you consider the whole map to be a desert map then yes, those spots are in the "desert". I built my farm on "land" and seems to work just as good. For certain can say there are big patches near green and blue. Haven't scouted red though as it's fully booked on the server I play on.

3 hours ago, thrillseeker said:

If you're building your structure in the desert, aren't you worried about death worms? What are you doing to prevent them from attacking/spawning in your base?

I built a smaller version of the above egg farm, one time picked up a couple of double sets of eggs like the above, which is fun. So far I have 35 eggs after a few days, so I'm glad to have found this thread, it does seem to work as described above.

My guess on the death worms is that they don't spawn in random locations, but in fixed locations at random intervals. So as long as you have a location that you've been to many times and have never seen a death worm, then the chances of one appearing at a later time are pretty low.

I've probably killed about 100 death worms, and they tend to appear in the same locations. Only once did I see one go into the unknown region between the dunes and an area inland. Surprised me that it could go there, would have thought they could only be in the dunes 

14 hours ago, wildbill said:

I built a smaller version of the above egg farm, one time picked up a couple of double sets of eggs like the above, which is fun. So far I have 35 eggs after a few days, so I'm glad to have found this thread, it does seem to work as described above.

My guess on the death worms is that they don't spawn in random locations, but in fixed locations at random intervals. So as long as you have a location that you've been to many times and have never seen a death worm, then the chances of one appearing at a later time are pretty low.

I've probably killed about 100 death worms, and they tend to appear in the same locations. Only once did I see one go into the unknown region between the dunes and an area inland. Surprised me that it could go there, would have thought they could only be in the dunes 

Death Worms travel across the surface of the ground just like any other dino despite what their animation looks like.  Deathworms will also ONLY pop up to attack a player/tame.  They won't just pop up to attack a structure unless there's a dino within range.  The upshot is you can surround your mantis pen with regular adobe dino gates.  If placed a sufficient distance from where your mantis are, and if your mantis are in a fully enclosed structure, you should never aggro a deathworm.  If someone tries to train one over to your stuff, you'll see the little dirt pile stop right at the gates and vanish.  It'll still be sitting there the next time someone goes near.

I tried doing the adobe pen above.. granted I only have 5 egg laying mantis, but I'm not getting eggs. It is in an area away from people, but it's not in an unknown region. I transfer there via bed, and every time, nothing. I've probably checked 10 times over 2 days. What could I be doing wrong? Adobe structure is almost identical to above, 9 long, 5 wide, 3 high, 1 male, 5 female, in dunes.

9 hours ago, thrillseeker said:

I tried doing the adobe pen above.. granted I only have 5 egg laying mantis, but I'm not getting eggs. It is in an area away from people, but it's not in an unknown region. I transfer there via bed, and every time, nothing. I've probably checked 10 times over 2 days. What could I be doing wrong? Adobe structure is almost identical to above, 9 long, 5 wide, 3 high, 1 male, 5 female, in dunes.

My pen is smaller, not that far from other people, has the same number of mantis as yours, but in the unknown region. It does get a eggs.

You didn't say if your mantis are on the sand, but I assume so, since you built it like the pen above.

I've not experimented with this, just copied the formula above and it worked. Yours didn't, but you left out what must be important, building on the unknown region. I got to assume that is why you are getting no eggs.

Without out experimenting (others have), but from reading what others have done, seems only two things are important, building in the unknown region and building on the sand. People have mentioned adding AC units and torches, but they might improve the egg laying, but don't seem to be needed. I think the sand is needed, because the mantis and eggs seem to fall through ceilings and a bit even through foundations.

4 hours ago, Nnguyennn said:

Do mantis lay more in caves? I have like 10 females mate boosted in one and still haven't gotten any eggs 

Maybe you have answered you own question.

Is the cave in the unknown region? So far besides the normal stuff you do to ensure that eggs are not lost by falling through something, that seems to be the only known variable that makes any difference (from what I've read here and in other threads).

37 minutes ago, docknex said:

Anyone have a map or coordinates to unknown region the ones i all find is like a 2x2. Trying to setup our new mantis pen to increase the egg drops & been flying around the map looking for like 8 hours with no luck.

haven't checked red but green and blue definitely have patches of at least 15x15 big.

Archived