Mantis Egg Trick?

Teralight

Is there a trick to getting mantis eggs faster or is their egg laying rate working as intended? If so it's pretty insane, we haven't gotten an egg from 12 mate boosted females in over 2 days. Unless there is something we're missing this just doesn't seem like it's working the way it's been intended.

EDIT: I've searched pretty much everywhere for an answer, last I heard from a dev about this was from Jat on reddit, they said they would get someone to look into this. That was over a month ago...

https://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/537jp6/community_crunch_63_nvidia_ansel_photography/

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have gotten 2 eggs in about 10 days from a single pair of male / female mantis, the drop rate is quite rare it seems. and we play about 8 to 10 hours actively around our base, and regularly  check for eggs, since we have to go through our per to go to the inside of our building.
Would love to hear some more about it, but a lot of players have been saying the drop rate is quite low for these eggs.

Personally, would love an increase of these, but on the other side I still believe they should be semi rare cause they do give some of the most wanted kibble for the golem, since they are obviously quite strong for raids. when your base is in the open  field.

2 hours ago, Raidwiper said:

Find an "Unknown Region" on the map out in the dunes. With 12 females you should easily clear 30 eggs a day

I'll go about giving that a try.

But seriously though, if I was playing on a cluster server all I would do is transfer the mantis to the center or island get them to lay eggs there (since for whatever reason their egg laying rate is insane compared to scorched there) and then just transfer the kibble back to scorched. I can see why they made the eggs rare, but at this rate we could have 50 mantis and get only 1 egg every few days. That just doesn't seem like it's working the way they intended to me.

33 minutes ago, iHEARTyou said:

Rumor has it since mantis drop organic polymer, that if you feed them organic polymer the females will lay more eggs. I have yet to test this theory since I just made it up.

LOL, just might kill your Mantis is you force feed it. For the player, organic polymer is the suicide pill. I think it kills you instantly.

Just now, wildbill said:

LOL, just might kill your Mantis is you force feed it. For the player, organic polymer is the suicide pill. I think it kills you instantly.

Now now, why would you go tell everyone that? You just ruined my fun. ;)

Honestly though, 80% of this forum and on the Steam community forum, when people come up with these theories and suggestions, they have yet to test it themselves. I remember when wyverns came out, people were posting on how to raise a wyvern. Most of them were wrong.

1 hour ago, iHEARTyou said:

Now now, why would you go tell everyone that? You just ruined my fun. ;)

Honestly though, 80% of this forum and on the Steam community forum, when people come up with these theories and suggestions, they have yet to test it themselves. I remember when wyverns came out, people were posting on how to raise a wyvern. Most of them were wrong.

Most of what I read about the wyvern seems a bit vague, but that is probably because different levels of eggs require slightly different amount of food.

I did read that you can knock a female wyvern out to get milk. Then after one hour do it again to get more milk. What isn't clear, is if you leave the area, will it despawn? Haven't heard or read actual experience with this to know. I'll be trying this out tonight though. Not sure if this is the right thread to report on whether it works or not :)

20 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Most of what I read about the wyvern seems a bit vague, but that is probably because different levels of eggs require slightly different amount of food.

I did read that you can knock a female wyvern out to get milk. Then after one hour do it again to get more milk. What isn't clear, is if you leave the area, will it despawn? Haven't heard or read actual experience with this to know. I'll be trying this out tonight though. Not sure if this is the right thread to report on whether it works or not :)

Well, I can tell you it's easier to just go and knock out another wyvern than to babysit the one you recently knocked out. Yes, they will "despawn" if you leave the area. Technically it doesn't disppear when they despawn. What happens is once you leave the area, the structures will de-render. The wyvern will wake up and essentially fly through your structures (trap) since it's no longer rendered. Wyverns tend to fly across the map aimlessly until they despawn once out of the trench and left alone.

33 minutes ago, wildbill said:

You can keep the wyvern female trapped for an hour and it will respawn the milk. We kept one trapped in our trapper with a tribe mate semi afk at it. He works from home so just tabbed in to eat and drink every hour or so to stay topped off. We set a timer and every hour we went and milked the same female. Was only worth it since we were raising 7 babies at a the same time. 

it works great we have 6 females and one male in an unknown region. So far we have 30 eggs after a week! Key is you have to fast travel in and out every 15 minutes or so.  I mean don't try it and dont get any eggs thats your deal! I told another tribe on our server and they have 7 max level kibble tamed rockys!

On 10/25/2016 at 1:22 PM, wildbill said:

It is instant 500 damage.  So if your character has over 500 health then you should be able to survive eating just one.  

On 10/24/2016 at 11:06 AM, Teralight said:

I'll go about giving that a try.

But seriously though, if I was playing on a cluster server all I would do is transfer the mantis to the center or island get them to lay eggs there (since for whatever reason their egg laying rate is insane compared to scorched there) and then just transfer the kibble back to scorched. I can see why they made the eggs rare, but at this rate we could have 50 mantis and get only 1 egg every few days. That just doesn't seem like it's working the way they intended to me.

Not sure what you mean by insane.  I transferred our pair of mantis to our base on the center and the egg rate is just as bad.  I've gotten maybe 7 eggs in a month.

2 hours ago, Malkill said:

Kibble tamed multiple elementals already. You're doing something wrong.

Maybe you are doing something right :)

I have a suspicion location makes a big difference. Do you need to have them near a location where they spawn naturally for them to lay eggs?

I just tamed a few two days ago, haven't been checking for eggs, so just have one so far.

2 hours ago, wildbill said:

Maybe you are doing something right :)

I have a suspicion location makes a big difference. Do you need to have them near a location where they spawn naturally for them to lay eggs?

I just tamed a few two days ago, haven't been checking for eggs, so just have one so far.

It's just a numbers game, the more you have the more eggs you'll get.

On 11/15/2016 at 8:33 AM, Cataclisto said:

We equip ours with torches, placed them in a unknown region in a adobe room with house bonus, and get about 7-16 eggs per day if we collect full time. We have 9 female mantis in the room. In the other biome we had them in we got 1-2 eggs per day.

What do the torches do?

This method I will post works. I don't know if everything I say is right, its simply re creating our mantis pen which gets roughly 6 eggs every hour minimum if we check it.

Build it in an unknown location in the desert. To know if it's unknown, simply check the wind, and it should say unknown where wind is.

Make sure their feet touch the sand. You can use fence foundations and walls to not have a floor, and use some pillars and ceilings to put a roof on.

Further details some may want. 12 females, one male. All fem under level 50, male is 170. Females have no saddles, are fed via a trough, and nothing in their inventory.  As our server is peaceful this building was 4x4 design with no defenses. Its out of render distance from base.

Further notes, mantis do not poop. We let them go into stasis mode(not sure how it works, exactly, but after we check we wait 10-15 before we check again.) Rendering them in makes them  poop, thus giving a small % to lay n egg.

Building is metal.

Archived