No Longer Able to Run Private ASA Servers... maybe?

Arambourgiania

29 minutes ago, faderide said:

You can host dedicated server and connect on same Pc that your running the dedicated on

until they patch it out.  they clearly don't' want it to be possible.  i know of at least one non nitrado server host that has gotten things working on their end, but the worry will always be - *patch came out and now our hack doesn't work* all progress lost until they can figure another way in.  it's like jailbreaking a phone, expect games patch a whole lot more and for better reasons. 

I was running the cluster through Ark Server Manager for my family and friends for years now.

Petition signed, please spread it all over the internet.

Game copies refunded until proper server files for no additional cost (one time or recurring) will be provided.

I never felt the need to comment on survivetheark as a whole, but now after many years I literaly signed up to the site just to add my two cents here.

This is simply disgusting....

• Thanks 1

Will the stance of charging dedicated server owners (AKA the reason your game is so popular in the first place) for the game again in order to host ONE SINGLE server ever change? Me and my friends purchased the game and are considering refunding (All 5 of them) due to the monopolization that seems to have happened with Nitrado. I have a server rack that I have hosted ASE for years on. Hearing the possibility that I cannot host even a single dedicated server for us to play on without purchasing ANOTHER 40 dollar copy to do this has disheartened me for a game that I have been waiting entirely too long for. 

I really need more answers on this before I play anymore of this game so me and my friends can get our money back.

In the case that this is the answer and its not going to change. How could you do this to your players and your community after you have already put us through multiple delays at the last minute then left this big steaming pile of bronto waste for the people who carried your game?

--------> Support page to submit a ticket does not exist so im forced to post this on the public forums in the hope of getting a straight answer from the devs

signed and another post made. Me and my friends (6 total copies of ASA) will be getting refunded unless this changes because there is no point playing on official or Nitrado when I have my own server rack that is more than up to the task of hosting a cluster. This is a slap in the face that they are dropping this on us alongside the multiple delays and pricing of a copy paste remake. If this doesnt change they have killed my nearly 3K hours enthusiasm from the previous game and I will be boycotting all future releases. SCUM has this exact same model is and dying because of it. Hoped they would have done their dedicated (+server) fans better than this but seems to be about right with how things have been up until now.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Venivdvici said:

From what I know about the hardware etc; the Nitrado prices are not that expensive. The 26 person server probably consumes around $10 in electricity a month. I would appreciate if monopolies were forced to give price justifications.

Not in any way shape or form defending Nitrasho or Snail games here but you are way off. I've spent over 20 years in data centers, storage/vmware etc plus have my own home small data center. Electric is only a part of it. Servers cost 5k + (for cheap servers) depending on load out,windows and vmware licensing, cooling (a massive cost), UPS backups, Diesel Generators for the data center, Support staff to service/maintain them, service contracts with HPE/Dell etc to cover hardware failures, data center rent or if they own them upkeep and payments and the list goes on. Now I've seen the minuscule resources Nitrasho gives their Ark servers to run and it's no shock everyone is screaming about the crashing and poor performance.

All that aside what everyone is missing is Nitrasho was acquired by Flex Capital which means they were floundering and Flex is going to suck them dry and spit them out eventually, hopefully before their 100 year (yes I'm exaggerating) agreement with Snail runs out.
/endrant

Edited by MuddyArk

If Wildcard thinks I'm going to give a trash company like Nitrado one red cent to host a server when I've spent the past several years hosting ARK: Survival Evolved on my own hardware for my own clan, then they really are a bunch of dodos. 

Then again, if Wildcard thinks that they're going to get me, or my clan, to shell out $40 plus whatever the costs of the DLCs are going to be for a game we already own, then the dodos wandering the beaches of Valguero really are more intellectually evolved than the people over at Wildcard.

Charging for what was promised initially as a free remaster, while labelling it as "Early Access" on Steam is bad enough. Forcing people to go to Nitrado just to get a server hosted is just insulting. 

Wildcard: It isn't the fault of your customers that you chose to blow your funding on a D-list, talentless hack to play poster boy for ARK 2. Instead of punishing us, you should be firing the people responsible making such monumental blunders and reorganizing. Preferably with people who actually know what they're doing at the helm.

So this explains their rush to get this incomplete mess out. If they didn't release by Oct 31st this exclusive server rights deal was going to transfer to Ark Survival Evolved instead.

"Early Access because we care about the community"

I've refunded the game already. I feel sick to my core that this release that was meant to be a beatified version of the often flawed game I spent thousands of hours in on community cluster servers is just another cash grab by a soul-less group of shareholder driven scum.

Commission File Number 001-41556

image.png.a30a05f65c6587fd9979c4826023b485.png

I'm also not impressed at this blindsiding we have taken as the beating heart of your community. I'm not happy at the idea of paying for multiple copies of the game just to run a server farm. Each copy is setting me back roughly AUD$60, multiply that by 12 for me to run both PvP and PvE servers, plus an additional copy so I can play with my small community? 

And you can forget about the free DLC maps if they come back. The Nitrado page states that we can apply for a license to host clusters if we have a community of over 10,000 people and or if we have 15,000 subscribers if we are content producers. These numbers are ridiculous for someone who does this as a labor of passion. 

I wouldn't be happy about it, but I would pay a one off licensing fee for a cluster if I didn't have another choice, but there's no way I am paying $40/month times twelve for what amounts to being a passion project. I call bs and am joining in the demands to make dedicated server hosting reasonable like Ark Surival Evolved

26 minutes ago, V1ntrez said:

Where would someone find this? just to make sure i dont happen to come across it, wouldnt want that now would we....

as far I know, they didn't put public it yet, it was done few hours ago. But there is a public demonstration on a video, if you are a server admin you should know what discord to look around :)

Edited by darkradeon

1 hour ago, RealNomad said:

Arent we supposed to have Anti trust laws that are designed specifically to protect consumers from monopiles? Nitrado is  strangling the game to death with these restrictions and bad server quality and have weaponized the monopoly they have against the consumer. 

That would only apply if Nitrado had a monopoly on hosting all video games, not just ARK.

A monopoly is when a company dominates and entire industry, it has nothing to do with two companies making a one-to-one agreement. Companies in every industry you can think of have exclusive agreements, a monopoly is something entirely different.

4 minutes ago, darkradeon said:

as far I know, they didn't put public it yet, it was done few hours ago. But there is a public demonstration on a video, if you are a server admin you should know what discord to look around :)

Thank you, im assuming you know more about it than some....

You wouldnt know if its just a simple steam drm for those (totally not at all morally correct people who want what they paid for) who can crack such would be able to do so, i dont at all know how to do such a thing and am not wondering if it is something someone who isnt me could do....

Dedicated server files can be installed via SteamCMD (app id 2430930) but it seems you must use a Steam login instead of remaining anonymous. Slightly irritatingly, you also have to have a Steam client logged in on the server host machine. If you play from a client on a different machine, an error message pops up on the server host asking you to exit Steam. If you ignore it, the server continues running. Anyway... It's taking a full 16GB of RAM but it's running! 

7 hours ago, Dalonz said:

I was running the cluster through Ark Server Manager for my family and friends for years now.

Petition signed, please spread it all over the internet.

Game copies refunded until proper server files for no additional cost (one time or recurring) will be provided.

I never felt the need to comment on survivetheark as a whole, but now after many years I literaly signed up to the site just to add my two cents here.

This is simply disgusting....

no petition will change that, they are toothless, vote with your wallet and dont buy/refund

https://server.nitrado.net/en-US/news/ark-survival-ascended-server-hosting-exclusivity-news

Edited by Shiroikage

3 hours ago, V1ntrez said:

You wouldnt know if its just a simple steam drm for those (totally not at all morally correct people who want what they paid for) who can crack such would be able to do so, i dont at all know how to do such a thing and am not wondering if it is something someone who isnt me could do....

Sorry, don't know anything about that, have not looked into it at all.

4 hours ago, RichyE6 said:

I really feel like wildcard needs to confirm if the one license will prevent non commercial servers from having a cluster, ideally before my 2 hours play time is up. 

WC does need to clarify what clusters will look like. The license terms that we get now leave us having to buy a copy for each instance we have running, but it's not clear if we can get a cluster to work even if we buy multiple copies.

17 minutes ago, MsMarabell said:

I believe if you visit Nitrado news page you will find out that unfortunately they have server exclusivity with Ark Ascended. Here's  the link. 

https://server.nitrado.net/en-GB/news/ark-survival-ascended-server-hosting-exclusivity-news

Sadly that is true.

But the agreement between Snail and Nitrado (https://investor.snail.com/node/7086/html) includes an exception for end-users to operate servers for their own use, provided it is a non-commercial server. WC hasn't said exactly what this means in real-world terms, but the way it's being implemented so far will mean the death of the unofficial community.

1 hour ago, Substitute said:

It's possible to run more than one server on the same machine as the mechanisms to block it are

that's my main worry.  people are going to get around it.  beloved hosting companies are going to implement their ways around it.  then patch day comes and no one can play until a new backdoor is found.  it's going to be like jailbreaking a phone, but with many many more patches. 

• Joebl0w13 changed the title to No Longer Able to Run Private ASA Servers... maybe?