No Longer Able to Run Private ASA Servers... maybe?

Arambourgiania

1 minute ago, Gelantious said:

Running a full cluster of all the maps on nitrado for 1 year costs more than buying your own server that's capable of hosting it yourself. This is insane....

Gonna suck having to find a new game if they really kill ark with this.

Stick with AsE - until some dodgy "patch" breaks that also .....

Well, for the time being I think I will keep my ear to the ground until scorched earth drops. They said that there would be no transfer feature until then. It's apperant why that is now.

Some of these things probably will get ironed out for Sony x box launch as I don't know how Sony would not want a cut of this nitrado money. Or that it would follow their ethical standards.

Obviously from a corporate POV I am talking out my butt on at least one of those points of view.

For now I am assuming that they want people to experience official servers. My rationale for never playing on ark official is the blatant toxicity and rampant cheating. If this somehow affects those elements in a positive way (for me/which I doubt) I will learn to live with it (Begrudgingly).

How this is going to affect the console launch remains to be seen, but this certainly is wacko.

Edited by UnethicalOctopus

@darkradeon Did you have to pay full price for a "server" download, or was it reduced from the game price? Or did you get the server download by having a purchase of the game client? And have you tried to run server & client (I assume same steam login) on different machines (this last is rubbish - if the server now also authenticates to Steam - then "multiple login" will kick out)

Edited by DirkInSA

8 minutes ago, DirkInSA said:

@darkradeon Did you have to pay full price for a "server" download, or was it reduced from the game price? Or did you get the server download by having a purchase of the game client? And have you tried to run server & client (I assume same steam login) on different machines (this last is rubbish - if the server now also authenticates to Steam - then "multiple login" will kick out)

dedicated server is in bundle with the game.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DirkInSA said:

I think we're going to have to live with having two Steam accounts and buying the game twice (or four times if you're paying for two kids like I am).

It's either that or Nitrado. Or skip ASA altogether. Still deciding which route I'll go.

• Sad 1

App ID is 2430930 if you're looking for it. You'll have to login with steamcmd to download it (no anonymous). I'm not sure how you go about running or configuring the game yet, as mine is still downloading.

EDIT: Not a promising start -- trying to run the dedi server exe returns "Application load error 6:0000065432"

Edited by zero064
  • Sad 1

Looking forward to how things resolve.

Honestly this is the least problematic launch I have seen since the launch of Aberration. The game is actually playable. I can understand with this effectively being an alpha, that server hosting isn't ready right out the gate. Better documentation and clarity on the policy is will need to happen. I am pretty sure the licenses will get cleared up in some way. 

My community used to have 10,000 members but I closed it after gen 2.... I don't think most clusters will ever hit that though.

4 minutes ago, zero064 said:

I think we're going to have to live with having two Steam accounts and buying the game twice (or four times if you're paying for two kids like I am).

It's either that or Nitrado. Or skip ASA altogether. Still deciding which route I'll go.

I think you missing the point? 
1) you will need to buy a copy of the game FOR EACH MAP that you want to host - in addition to your own "game client": and your kids / mates game client.
2) It is not proven that even with multiple purchase of the game that it CAN run on a private server in your LAN, or even a private server somewhere in the cloud.

It looks like the current "release" restricts people to exactly one map at a time - No "Cluster" no more.

• Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Venivdvici said:

Looking forward to how things resolve.

Honestly this is the least problematic launch I have seen since the launch of Aberration. The game is actually playable. I can understand with this effectively being an alpha, that server hosting isn't ready right out the gate. Better documentation and clarity on the policy is will need to happen. I am pretty sure the licenses will get cleared up in some way. 

My community used to have 10,000 members but I closed it after gen 2.... I don't think most clusters will ever hit that though.

Fair enough on all counts - but for a casual player / hoster, the world ain't looking promising given legal stuff that is out there ..........

4 minutes ago, DirkInSA said:

1) you will need to buy a copy of the game FOR EACH MAP that you want to host - in addition to your own "game client": and your kids / mates game client.
2) It is not proven that even with multiple purchase of the game that it CAN run on a private server in your LAN, or even a private server somewhere in the cloud.

It looks like the current "release" restricts people to exactly one map at a time - No "Cluster" no more.

No, I completely get that I'll have to buy a copy for each map if I do this. Not happy about that at all, especially given all the money I've spent buying Ark for me and my kids over the years.

I'm not sure about the clusters. Again, some clarity from WC would go a long way here. If clusters are out, I'll be leaning heavily toward skipping ASA.

Edited by zero064
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

35 minutes ago, zero064 said:

No, I completely get that I'll have to buy a copy for each map if I do this. Not happy about that at all, especially given all the money I've spent buying Ark for me and my kids over the years.

I'm not sure about the clusters. Again, some clarity from WC would go a long way here. If clusters are out, I'll be leaning heavily toward skipping ASA.

Same, all depends how much things are cleaned up before console launch on my end. I was going to grab it on PC just to host servers on but for the moment I will pass..

At least until scorched earth.

To be fair all I want from ASA is realistic movement on snake bodies (basilisk and titanaboa) and better ai pathing all around. 

Does anyone have clips of how they handled titanaboa movement btw? Did they just upscale the graphics and launch? Do the creatures still get stuck on all sorts of obvious terrain features? Does the long neck or crossbow glitch still exist?

I know it's a small thing,  but I am really curious.

Edited by UnethicalOctopus

Nitrado's own FAQ right now says others will be able to monetize their non-nitrado stuff. I have read all the chats. You [DirkInSA] definitely have done more so and are involved enough to know how conflicting the info is. I am hoping for a better outcome. The game actually being playable in single player day one without crashes every hour beat my expectations. I don't think WC is that great at communicating. But I agree they really need to comment. Even a "to the best of my current knowledge the current situation is ..." from them will be appreciated. 

They do have a timer though. The communities will be hurt for every day that personal bare metal hosting is impractical.

From what I know about the hardware etc; the Nitrado prices are not that expensive. The 26 person server probably consumes around $10 in electricity a month. I would appreciate if monopolies were forced to give price justifications.

If I was them I would up the refund policy to 24 hours for the next two weeks as a goodwill gesture. It won't help the cash flow short term; but the long term cred boost will go far.

There also may be problems based on the advertisements that have been given. I am not sure though. Extremely limited self hosting was not what was advertised.

12 hours ago, nworlds said:

If the rumors are true and WC gives Nitrado 100% monopoly without releasing the dedicated server files, i am (and probably so many others) totally refunding ASA !

EDIT: So the clock is ticking...if the dedi files are not out before refund deadline, i'm out!

We are one of the largest PvE ARK communities in EU, trying to force Nitrado uppon us is unacceptable practice and we are not helping financing shady monopoly deals!

Great game, but Refunded. I agree

3 minutes ago, Maelmir said:

The ram requirements alone are ridiculous to run a single server, is this really just an Unreal 5 engine problem or is it a Wildcard problem?

Heck, I can run a 6*6 Atlas server on my server machine, I don't see how this is a limitation of peoples hardware. At this point in time, it seems like a money grab.

1 hour ago, DirkInSA said:

This is kind of mind blowing to me.  I'm wondering now if the product team even thought this out before now.  

a) they did think about it, and they are blood sucking vampires who said go for it.

b) they are incompetent , and holy DILO! they actually didn't think this through.  How much do they get paid to be this incompetent?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

This is kind of mind blowing to me.  I'm wondering now if the product team even thought this out before now.  

a) they did think about it, and they are blood sucking vampires who said go for it.

b) they are incompetent , and holy DILO! they actually didn't think this through.  How much do they get paid to be this incompetent?  

they don't care they need to honor the nitrado deal to not let the publisher to fail.

this is not about bugs or performance, this is about a business choice.

Edited by darkradeon

• Joebl0w13 changed the title to No Longer Able to Run Private ASA Servers... maybe?