Crazy Giga Bleed Damage

DaddyMike72

So I was stomping around on a super rex (21 health mutes, 10 melee mutes) clearing out the low level gigas and carchara's (or cucarachas as my wife calls them).  I came upon my 6th one, a level 20, and engaged with full 25k health and a 250ish armor saddle.  The giga was doing something like 30 pts of damage per bite which seemed about like the others, but my rex's health was plummeting fast.  In the end, I lost the rex and lost my life.  I went back with two more super rexes for the mate boost to finish off the giga and get my saddle and gear back.  It was at 25% or so and I was able to kill it, but not before its bleed took both rexes to 60% health.  I can't say I've ever seen a wild giga's bleed do so much damage, especially not to my super rexes.

Has anyone else encountered this apparent glitch in giga bleed damage?  Or perhaps other critters that have done surprisingly high amounts of damage for their level?

(Addendum - If anyone wonders why only 10 mutes into melee, it's because my current base melee is 378.  I am waiting for a 396 or 408 to do a full 20 mutation run.)

The bleed was definitely doing more than 1% per tick.  This was the lowest level giga of the five I killed.  All of them took my rex to about 60% health.  The one Carchara took her to 75%.  This one killed my rex in less than a minute and I was using terrain to assist with my knockback to reduce the number of bites the giga could get.

(For those who don't know:  If you stand your rex uphill on a slope, the little bit of knockback they get on a giga can push it out of bite range.  With good timing and backpeddling, you can deny a giga more than a few bites.  Works with alpha rexes too.)

9 hours ago, DaddyMike72 said:

The bleed was definitely doing more than 1% per tick.  This was the lowest level giga of the five I killed.

My take is that the level of a giga in the wild doesn't matter much, they're all giga's. The day that I learned a Lvl 25 wild giga could easily kill my perfect tame Lvl 150>225 giga with 25 post-tame levels in melee is the day I realized that they're all dangerous.

9 hours ago, DaddyMike72 said:

All of them took my rex to about 60% health.  The one Carchara took her to 75%.  This one killed my rex in less than a minute and I was using terrain to assist with my knockback to reduce the number of bites the giga could get.

I'm going to play devil's advocate for a moment, are you sure, like absolutely certain it was less than a minute or did it jut feel like less than a minute because you were caught by surprise when you died? Perception of time can be a funny thing, especially when you're in a fight for your life.

Also, using terrain to reduce the number of bites the giga gets doesn't help if they bite often enough to keep the bleed going, it's not like they need to hit every time. That AOE range of 8-12 vertical and 8-10 horizontal foundations can reach your mount more often than it feels like they should.

This comment specifically, "The giga was doing something like 30 pts of damage per bite which seemed about like the others, but my rex's health was plummeting fast." makes me think that it was hitting you often enough to keep the bleed going, and the fight just lasted a little longer than it felt like it was lasting.

Yeah, I'm sure it was less than a minute.  I had only just started the fight when my kid who was watching pointed out how low my rex's health was.  I looked and figured I must have taken some fall damage on the way to start the fight.  After about 5 giga bites, my rex was already at 80% health.  Which did not make sense with the amount of bite damage the giga was doing.  So I kind of blew it off as fall damage (80% - 60% is still 20% health left over), but also kept watching it.  The health icon emptied pretty darn quickly.  And while I was using terrain against this one in the Ragnarok Highlands, the other  gigas I fought were in the desert section where I was unable to use terrain and had to straight-up face tank.  Now I suppose it's possible that since I was backpeddling up an incline that somehow I was constantly taking fall damage, but the incline wasn't that steep and I never went back downhill, just uphill.  Also bear in mind the bleed damage did 40% damage to the mated pair in the time it took both of them to finish off the last 25% of its health, with each of them doing over 1.2K per bite.  And that time I didn't even bother with using the terrain but fought it on more level ground since extra tames tend to completely negate the tactic with their constant forward push.

And just as a point, I've been face tank killing Gigas with super rexes for a couple of years now, so I'm quite familiar with how the fights generally go, which is why this caught me by such surprise.  On the upside(?), it took the giga 4 bites to completely destroy my gear as I futilely tried to run away.  "Don't run away, you'll only die tired."

On 8/24/2023 at 3:25 PM, DaddyMike72 said:

Yeah, I'm sure it was less than a minute.  I had only just started the fight when my kid who was watching pointed out how low my rex's health was.  I looked and figured I must have taken some fall damage on the way to start the fight.  After about 5 giga bites, my rex was already at 80% health.  Which did not make sense with the amount of bite damage the giga was doing.  So I kind of blew it off as fall damage (80% - 60% is still 20% health left over), but also kept watching it.  The health icon emptied pretty darn quickly.  And while I was using terrain against this one in the Ragnarok Highlands, the other  gigas I fought were in the desert section where I was unable to use terrain and had to straight-up face tank.  Now I suppose it's possible that since I was backpeddling up an incline that somehow I was constantly taking fall damage, but the incline wasn't that steep and I never went back downhill, just uphill.  Also bear in mind the bleed damage did 40% damage to the mated pair in the time it took both of them to finish off the last 25% of its health, with each of them doing over 1.2K per bite.  And that time I didn't even bother with using the terrain but fought it on more level ground since extra tames tend to completely negate the tactic with their constant forward push.

And just as a point, I've been face tank killing Gigas with super rexes for a couple of years now, so I'm quite familiar with how the fights generally go, which is why this caught me by such surprise.  On the upside(?), it took the giga 4 bites to completely destroy my gear as I futilely tried to run away.  "Don't run away, you'll only die tired."

I think you should just drop this case because I feel like there is too much speculation. I dont feel like the Giga Bleed damage has much subjectivity to glitches. But who knows, its Ark. It can happen but I dont think it will happen again fast.
1 Minute is really nothing indeed like Pipinghot says, when you are in stress and maybe unaware of actual status and conditions and all...
I mean Airplanes crash in 1 minute or less. Fight starts, your son says your HP is low (10ish seconds in the fight) You check hp, realize its low, maybe already halfway through that minute at that point, then maybe even take some unnoticed fall damage or already did, because you are out of focus, you turn around with your Rex like a bus to see if you can run and... its already over...
I also find it weird that you can wipe several wild Gigas with your OP Rex... 25k hp is ok but 400ish melee(1-1.5k hp at high levels) seems way, way to low actually to dish out 80k of the Gigahealth. I tried killing Wild Gigas with some of my 30k HP 3-3.5k melee Rexes and I think I didnt even make it at some occasions against just 1 Giga. Dont remember the exact outcomes, but I learned its not a good idea to hunt Wild Gigas with just a Rex. Boss Rexes or not, its too subjectable to failure for me...

On 8/24/2023 at 8:25 AM, DaddyMike72 said:

With the damage your rex would be doing (about 450 based on your listed base stats, and assuming approximately 25 tamed levels into melee), it would take about 177 bites to kill a level 1 giga with no health levels.  At 0.8 seconds per bite, you're looking around 142 seconds to kill one.  If the giga only gets 1 bite out of every 5 off, then your rex dies in 100 seconds, regardless of HP, armor, or damage dealt.  Odds are, you're not evading bites for more than 5 seconds at a time.  I don't see how you could possibly be killing gigas with a rex at this level.  Even with mate boost, you're still looking at about 110 seconds to kill.  While potentially survivable, it still seems very unlikely.   To reliably survive gigas on a rex, you need to be dealing about 900 damage or more and have a saddle around what you listed yours to be.  This is definitely doable, but not at the base stats you listed without many more melee mutations.

That said, you would have certainly enraged the giga within 5 bites, so the time it'd take for that giga to land 5 bites would be about 12 seconds, which is at least 12% of your HP.

This is anecdotal, not a "real" measurement - I was this weekend in the same area on Rag with a wyvern. Health like 16k. I was trying to kite the thing away from base towards a trap. All went very well tanking any random hits the giga made until some Allosaurs got involved. At that moment my wyvern dropped like 10k health in 0.0 seconds!!! Now I dunno if the combination of the Allo pack leader with the giga, just the Allo, or just the giga caused that massive damage ... But sure I had to retire hurt.

EDIT
Mmmm I see that wiki sez that this debuff does not stack. Now that's just plain wrong. I definitely had two "gnashed" icons on the screen. So maybe it don't stack from one attacker (i.e. it has to run its course before it can be applied again), but from two attackers, it definitely applies twice.

Edited by DirkInSA

On 8/24/2023 at 9:25 AM, DaddyMike72 said:

Yeah, I'm sure it was less than a minute.

I didn't include any math in my previous post, but I think @banggugyanguhas done a great job of demonstrating why I asked if you were absolutely certain about the time.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm arguing with you, per se, I'm as curious about this as you are and, quite frankly, I'm doing a reality check on myself to see if my knowledge of the game is lacking or misinformed in some way. I agree with Bang when he says, " I don't see how you could possibly be killing gigas with a rex at this level." I'm not specifically arguing that it's impossible, I mean it quite literally when I say I don't know how you could be doing it. The reason being, it simply doesn't match up with that I've learned and think that I know. If you are indeed consistently and reliably killing gigas as you say, it would be great to see a video or a screenshot (from near the end) showing it. A picture is worth a thousand words, it could be informative to see what it looks like in your game when you're doing this hunting.

Also, do you have any mods or custom settings on your server that could affect your ability to hunt gigas with a rex? I remember from other threads that you're running your own server, but I don't remember anything about how you might have configured your environment.

Well, the purpose of this wasn't really to debate what I went through so much as to see if anyone else had similar situations with gigas or other beasties that just seemed to do more damage than what the onscreen numbers were showing.

I bred up a new super rex and took it out fighting.  First giga I was able to abuse terrain on so much it 'lost interest' and ran away from me, getting its toe stuck on a rock... Really??? and I was able to finish it off at a safe distance behind it.  Second giga was really close but it ended up killing my rex (this time I managed to dismount and run fast enough to throw out my wyvern, mount, take off and circle around to finish it off).  But this time I made a critical "duh" mistake and forgot to actually level the rex before taking it out giga hunting, so that one was completely on me.  Now I have a male and female pair that I'm leveling up specifically for situations where I can't backpeddle up hills.