Community Crunch 368: ASA Roadmap Update, ASA Comparison, and More!

StudioWildcard

On 7/4/2023 at 8:16 PM, CosmicSkeleton said:

We do it on PlayStation too. It’s not exactly a novel concept: a service provider provides a server,  you pay them. Simple as.

Yeah but I'd rather pay WC directly than use a 3rd party. If they really wanted money they could figure something like that out... Or let us pay a subscription to keep a few Official servers running... Easy peasy lemon squeezy

Edited by Mike585x

18 minutes ago, Mike585x said:

Yeah but I'd rather pay WC directly than use a 3rd party. If they really wanted money they could figure something like that out... Or let us pay a subscription to keep a few Official servers running... Easy peasy lemon squeezy

I mean at this point do you really want to trust WC with that?

• Haha 1

• Volunteer Moderator
22 minutes ago, Mike585x said:

Not easy-peasy. Nobody in business does that. 

Computer manufacturers don't build each component, they purchase the parts from multiple suppliers. They just assemble it.

You do what you are good at and need 100% control over, the rest you outsource to others.

3 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Not easy-peasy. Nobody in business does that. 

Computer manufacturers don't build each component, they purchase the parts from multiple suppliers. They just assemble it.

You do what you are good at and need 100% control over, the rest you outsource to others.

I'm just talking about paying them directly to keep some servers running...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

They don't want those servers running. They are happy to get out from under having to maintain the ASE codebase.

Perhaps, but they said the same thing about Legacy servers and those are currently still existing AND quite populated. They could easily just remove/retire those ones (finally) and leave a few official ones in their stead that players would have to "migrate" to in the same fashion.

Edit: It's just the right thing to do. Straight up wishful thinking, naturally.

Edited by Mike585x

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, Mike585x said:

Perhaps, but they said the same thing about Legacy servers and those are currently still existing AND quite populated. They could easily just remove/retire those ones (finally) and leave a few official ones in their stead that players would have to "migrate" to in the same fashion.

They should have nuked those as well in 2017.

• Like 1

Just now, Joebl0w13 said:

They should have nuked those as well in 2017.

But they didn't for some reason. Were they just being nice? It would be awesome if they decided to do the same in this case, especially for many console users who can't afford or even find a new gen system for themselves or let alone their entire family.

But yeah, hypothetical wishful thinking.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, Mike585x said:

But they didn't for some reason. Were they just being nice? It would be awesome if they decided to do the same in this case, especially for many console users who can't afford or even find a new gen system for themselves or let alone their entire family.

But yeah, hypothetical wishful thinking.

It's a business so my guess would be simple math. How many DLCs would the people on legacy servers buy vs the cost to keep the legacy servers running. Then again, I'm not privy to those decisions. I've always been dishearten by the route they chose in 2017 but life goes on. I don't sweat the stuff I can't control.

4 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

It's a business so my guess would be simple math. How many DLCs would the people on legacy servers buy vs the cost to keep the legacy servers running. Then again, I'm not privy to those decisions. I've always been dishearten by the route they chose in 2017 but life goes on. I don't sweat the stuff I can't control.

If it comes down to math, there's tons of players who would still spend to keep playing Official servers. Even the petition with over 6k signatures to keep them running shows it (in some way). I personally will be losing most of my friends I've made on official simply because they do not have the newest console. That's a pretty large percentage of the playerbase. I understand you though, I played on legacy but since far surpassed my character there (it's still existing, I found it the other day XD).

Since they are still selling the full game without any warning whatsoever that the servers are being shut down, it would only make sense as well.

Edited by Mike585x
  • Like 1

• Volunteer Moderator
20 minutes ago, Mike585x said:

If it comes down to math, there's tons of players who would still spend to keep playing Official servers. Even the petition with over 6k signatures to keep them running shows it (in some way). I personally will be losing most of my friends I've made on official simply because they do not have the newest console. That's a pretty large percentage of the playerbase. I understand you though, I played on legacy but since far surpassed my character there (it's still existing, I found it the other day XD).

Since they are still selling the full game without any warning whatsoever that the servers are being shut down, it would only make sense as well.

Well, as with all things WC. I'll believe those servers are getting shut down the day it happens.