Voting Ends Tomorrow, and it's Messed Up

Sovira

I genuinely love the fact that we get the chance to submit things we want to see in the game and the opportunity to vote, truly I do appreciate it, but at the same time there are colossal-sized flaws to it. If you're an influencer, or you are known by people through your title, your chances of getting to the top 10 cancel out pretty much the majority of others, and it becomes less of an actual voting for creature, more of a voting for the person who made the creature. When you are one of the ones who were less fortunate and had no outside sources, or your outside sources aren't enough, you might brisk the 10th place for a fleeting moment only to get pushed out of it by another person who used outside sources to get their votes up. 

The spirit of the idea that people get to choose a creature has been crushed and stamped out of existence, it's all about who is better at getting attention from outside sources, that even has a remote chance in their creature making it to the game. Right now as I sit, there is a creature that is boosting votes through an outside source, and getting them by sometimes the second, other times the minute, already passing so many of the other creature submissions who don't stand a chance NOT because they aren't well thought out, wonderful ideas without artwork or anything like that, but rather that this person has 900+ views on their outside source asking for people to come vote for them, pressuring others to feel that they have to do the same, though it's too late for that, and in this case alone, the influencers may as well all join in and have at it.

How is this right? Am I missing something? Is this actually a good thing? Is this the way it should be? Please give me a reason to understand how this should be the way it is. and give me a reason why it should stay this way and never change.

3 hours ago, CatInFire said:

It was the same when sinomacrops vote was submitted. I am not saying creature is bad but it was promoted by youtuber.

It is not fair, yes, but i dont think they care how creature is getting to top 10

I would go a step further and say they prefer an "influencer" (shoot me please) to promote a certain creature as it does much more to promote the game in general than Tom, sausage, or Harry submitting something. Its a numbers game.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CatInFire said:

It was the same when sinomacrops vote was submitted. I am not saying creature is bad but it was promoted by youtuber.

It is not fair, yes, but i dont think they care how creature is getting to top 10

I genuinely wish there was a way that this could be made better for all involved :( Maybe a grace period prior to allowing the votes even, just something.

• Like 1

Yeah at this point they need to require anybody to not use influencer identification like randomized a name and picture automatically to an alias for that suggestion or all of theirs with option to use a different one or not for other suggestions. I know that's likely not realistic but I've seen the Minecraft voting system and I can only be glad we got this top 10 rankings vote instead of best of 100 wins when people will vote for reasons that are often misguided, poorly thought out or just without much effort or just cause some dude on YouTube said they liked it or begged for it.

Also I'm surprised that so little people actually vote on these. Do people only ever vote for one when they go through the initial list until the top 10 finals or is there really not enough people that pay attention enough or care to look into the creatures that are getting added? A few hundred each even for the tops across the board if everyone only voted once is very little. But maybe I'm underestimating the Ark playerbase count or the recent developments for the game have tanked it. Which i really do understand. 

• Like 1

It feels like there were too many choices.  With how many choices there were, I'm doubting every voter did a complete look at all the options.  I only liked 2 or 3 of them tops, I'd hate to think we end up with a horrible new animal based on people ranking without fully checking all the options.

I was just browsing the internets and found this beauty.  With all those meh options to chose from, its sad this here was a missed opportunity for the microscopic to be mini boss sized.

Edited by GrumpyBear

I didn't even get to put mine in cause it wasn't ready, and I'll be honest, with people voting in a literal Basilisk clone probably also just because it was a big snake I'm actually unsure if it could have even made it cause it was a smaller dino. This really seems like it would be better if they added 2 or 3 instead of just 1, at least for these smaller maps and maps with lower creature diversity than the Island or Extinction or all the DLC maps after Rag that just had to bloat and have all the creatures cause all of them were fighting to be the best hub map with everything tameable on it even if it doesn't fit. The only Map even slightly capable of stuff like that ever imo was Val maybe with how many different odd biomes it has and Crystal Isles with the sheer amount of variety of them and unique ones. Lost Island and Fjordur got 3 each overall. I can only hope that maybe the devs take a look at what dinos are being shown a lot of love and awesome concepts and they either are planning to use it to get ideas for new dinos in the game or shelving them for possible implementation later. Most maps could use it and it would really help especially among the Genesis map cause that poop is really messy and some spawns are kinda shoehorned a bit imo.

If they did do another dino in the votes they should probably do it for all of them but the maps I think I really wouldn't mind would be Scorched and Ab cause they already don't have that many and are limited and unique ecosystems anyway in their style, even more unique creatures to them would make them even better and more fleshed out imo.

Thankfully most of the threat of us getting a terrible animal is mitigated in the end round by the top 10 list ranking type of vote they do, one of the smartest things I've ever seen for stuff like that cause it finally stops the issue of people voting only for so many or specific dinos. It doesn't totally stop flood voting but it helps and causes it to be longer to more people can deal with it.

I remember what influencers getting involved in Minecraft did to that game. It ended with useless things (ie:glow squid) being added “for the memes lulz” thanks to influencers with large YouTube channels. I would rather ark didn’t go the same way. I don’t want more eels being introduced to ark (annoying in the wild, useless when tamed.)

On 4/22/2023 at 5:46 PM, GrumpyBear said:

It feels like there were too many choices.  With how many choices there were, I'm doubting every voter did a complete look at all the options.  I only liked 2 or 3 of them tops, I'd hate to think we end up with a horrible new animal based on people ranking without fully checking all the options.

I was just browsing the internets and found this beauty.  With all those meh options to chose from, its sad this here was a missed opportunity for the microscopic to be mini boss sized.

Completely off topic, but what on earth is that creepy thing? A macroscopic version would be absolutely horrifying in the darkness of Aberration!

4 hours ago, SarraceniaUser said:

I remember what influencers getting involved in Minecraft did to that game. It ended with useless things (ie:glow squid) being added “for the memes lulz” thanks to influencers with large YouTube channels. I would rather ark didn’t go the same way. I don’t want more eels being introduced to ark (annoying in the wild, useless when tamed.)

Completely off topic, but what on earth is that creepy thing? A macroscopic version would be absolutely horrifying in the darkness of Aberration!

Some sort of worm parasite ,  I forgot the name