Armor (players and dino)

Blackmagic9000

Hello you fellow cheeky bush scrub lord, before i start i wana say something 

I appreciate the community here as well as the mods/admins here, i feel welcomed and i am very thankful, this is a thanks to you guys for making ark great!

-------‐--------------------------------------

Now with that out of the way, i know this may sound silly but i don't understand armor fully, does bites and explosives effect the armor? Even saddles? 

If anyone has experience with this let me know!

14 hours ago, Blackmagic9000 said:

Now with that out of the way, i know this may sound silly but i don't understand armor fully, does bites and explosives effect the armor? Even saddles?

Both armor that you wear and saddles have an "armor rating", but there are differences.

1) Armor that you wear reduces the amount of damage you take, and it can be broken by fighting.

Every time you get hit the armor helps protect you and the armor loses some durability in the process. Different types of damage have different results, for example a dino biting you is a straightforward physical attack but the poison that is spit by some dino's will damage your armor faster than your health, which means they'll break your armor before they kill you.

There are different formulas for how much damage your armor takes vs. how much you take depending on the type of damage (bite, acid, poison, explosive), and you will want to read more about these different types of damage on the wiki so you get a better understanding of how each type of damage behaves. Or, if you don't want to dig in an learn the differences then just be aware that basically everything that can hurt you can also break your armor and vice versa.

There is no armor that will protect you 100%, even Tek armor only reduces damage by 90%. That's a lot, but depending on how much health you have it's possible for you to die before your Tek armor breaks.

2) Saddles

Saddles act like armor for your animals but they can't be broken by combat.

Even the roll rat saddle will not (as far as I know) break from combat. You can break a roll rat saddle by using the roll ability, the durability will get used up if you break rocks & trees as you're rolling, and I think maybe it can get used up if you run into enemies, but if you're just sitting on your roll rat fighting something face-to-face biting each other then the saddle on the roll rat acts like other saddles (if I'm wrong about this I'm sure someone will correct it).

3) Armor on the wiki

If you want a quick and easy view of armor, go to this page and scroll down to the "Cheat sheet" and "Durability" section.

If you really want to learn how armor works in every situation, then spend some time reading that page in detail, it has a lot of useful information.

https://ark.fandom.com/wiki/Armor

16 hours ago, Blackmagic9000 said:

Hello you fellow cheeky bush scrub lord, before i start i wana say something I appreciate the community here as well as the mods/admins here, i feel welcomed and i am very thankful, this is a thanks to you guys for making ark great! Now with that out of the way, i know this may sound silly but i don't understand armor fully, does bites and explosives effect the armor? Even saddles?  If anyone has experience with this let me know!

Ok, body armor for the humans has 2 important effects. The first effect is damage resistance. The higher to resistance, the better you are to survive from ANY kind of damage. Say a raptor strikes you with 100% flak armor and does 10 damage, a flak armor with 200% armor will result in 5 damage. So forth and so on.
However there is a problem, and that is the second effect. Durability. Just because an armor can reduce damage by half, doesn't mean you can continue taking that damage reduction forever. In fact the armors that reduce damage the most, typically has the lowest durability. Meaning that it can only take a hit or two before it breaks.

However this is not a problem with saddles. Saddles only reduce damage. Ontop of that, some tames automatically reduce incoming damage too. Thus you can have some really tanky tames with the correct saddles, buffs, and imprints. The stego and turtle come to mind here.

In the end, human armor is usually the most difficult armor to understand. The saddles are simple. 

Armor is meant to protect you against attacks and explosions.
It also gives insulation, protection against temperatures. Wearing the right armor for the right situations will gives benefits.
Above that, armor will also reduce inflicted torpor and can have special functions.
For example gasmasks will protect you from poisonous air and attacks. 

Armor gives protection against physical attacks and explosive damage. But keep in mind that attacks can be localized to a specific bodypart.
Eg a headshot will only take in account the armor rating of the helmet. 
Also, attacks from dinos can be localized to bodyparts.
Above that, dinos have different kind of attacks. For example Bats will tear your armor appart really fast, but inflicting only minor damage at first.
Megalosaurus at night have a grab attack that almost completely ignores armor rating and will inflict huge damage without touching armor durability.

Same with saddles, different kind of attacks will take the saddle durability in account in various ways.
Torpor inflicted by attacks will also reduce with greater saddle quality.
Even though armor have a "hidden" durability stat.
It isnt taken into calculations by damage done by attacks or damage from explosions.

Archived