Mosa Taming

AirplaneSlider

I found a nice 135 mosa recently near the kelp forest on west ocean (island).

My plan is taking lots of behemoth gates to trap it. I'll lead it in with ichty and close the gate behind it.

My basilo will be chilling nearby incase any a-hole jellys or eels visit.

I'll have 100s of tranq arrows out of a 500% dmg crossbow. Lots of exceptional kibble and 100s of narcotics.

My question, will this plan work, mainly the "me leading it into a 9 behemoth gate trap using ichty with basilo chilling nearby".

All help is appreciated.

1 hour ago, Piffguru said:

Should be fine, I usually do my leading with my basilo to be safe, you can make the gap between the behemoths wide enough for basilo and still keep the mosa from getting out. As long as the trap you make isnt too far from the ocean floor as wild mosa's will not go above a certain depth.

Are you sure the mosa can't hit the basilo with its speed?

28 minutes ago, AirplaneSlider said:

idk how much life your basilo has, but it should be able to tank a few hits even with a primitive saddle. the last (and only) time i tried to tame a mosa, i did it exactly as suggested - but unfortunately, the gap in between the behemoth gates was to small, so my basilo ended up trapped inside with a 150 mosa chewing on it! now our basilo had an 100 armor saddle, so that surely migitated a ton of dmg, but it survived for several minutes inside the cage without getting too low on health. then, a message popped up stating that the servers were going offline in 15 minutes, so we aborted our whole taming plan and went home.

so to sum it up: yes, you can totally lure a mosa into a cage with a basilo if it has enough hit points - but you should make sure the basilo can actually escape from the cage before luring anything inside 😅

3 hours ago, AirplaneSlider said:

I found a nice 135 mosa recently near the kelp forest on west ocean (island). My plan is taking lots of behemoth gates to trap it. I'll lead it in with ichty and close the gate behind it. My basilo will be chilling nearby incase any a-hole jellys or eels visit. I'll have 100s of tranq arrows out of a 500% dmg crossbow. Lots of exceptional kibble and 100s of narcotics. My question, will this plan work, mainly the "me leading it into a 9 behemoth gate trap using ichty with basilo chilling nearby". All help is appreciated.

You may need anouther 1 or 2 more crossbows and you might cryo up the basil till you get the mosa in the trap first, but other than that it looks good to me

This is my typical mosa take down formula....get 5 stone behomoths, 2 doors, 1 high level sharky with a bunch of health points, 1 basil {health points again, but doesn't have to be ridiculous} cryopodded and waiting, and 1000 tranq darts with 10-20 crossbows, depending on quality.
First, place the trap on flat level ground, try to make a sneaky crook at the last gate that you can get out of with the sharky. Then use the shark as bait. Ride the shark through the open end of the trap and make sure you get the mosa in by swimming just far enough through the crook to keep him interested, but but not close enough to get nibbled on. Hop off and swim as fast as possible to the doors to close shut. You can then whistle the sharky to follow you and he will immediately move forward and away from the mosa. Just in case you hopped off too early and the mosa was able to start biting the sharky.
Proceed to pump mosa full or tranq arrows till knocked out, and make sure you have plenty of narcotic, or jellyfish jelly to keep him asleep as he will wake up just as fast as a giga. In this case, the reason for the basil is two fold. First off, if you find a low level alpha, you might be able to take it out with the basil. So he is kind of a guard for the project. But it is also useful for harvesting jellyfish jelly if your worried about the mosa waking up after you run out of narcotics. 1 jellyfish jelly is the equivalent to 2 pestle and motor narcotic. 

Hope this helps, good luck and tell us how it turned out!

P.s. I would NOT use an itchy, they just can't take the hits a mosa can dish out. Sharky is ok, but even then I would want to take any more than a dozen or so hits with a prim saddle. A basil would work, but they are indeed slow.

Yea, as @wizard03 said, a shark and behemoth gates are the way to go for taming a mosa. Put some points into speed and the shark will outrun a mosa pretty easy. Bring extra behemoth gates just in case you leave a gap that's too big in your trap. Having a tribemate who can lead the mosa around helps with this part (although it's perfectly doable solo).

For this kind of operation we also keep a motorboat as close as we can safely park it. We keep a bunch of spare gear (narcotic, tranqs, crossbows, scuba tanks etc.) along with beds and a bunch of cryo'd sharks, just in case things go wrong.

3 hours ago, heliantha said:

idk how much life your basilo has, but it should be able to tank a few hits even with a primitive saddle. the last (and only) time i tried to tame a mosa, i did it exactly as suggested - but unfortunately, the gap in between the behemoth gates was to small, so my basilo ended up trapped inside with a 150 mosa chewing on it! now our basilo had an 100 armor saddle, so that surely migitated a ton of dmg, but it survived for several minutes inside the cage without getting too low on health. then, a message popped up stating that the servers were going offline in 15 minutes, so we aborted our whole taming plan and went home.

so to sum it up: yes, you can totally lure a mosa into a cage with a basilo if it has enough hit points - but you should make sure the basilo can actually escape from the cage before luring anything inside 😅

Basilo has 10k health with mc saddle (80 armor i think)

4 hours ago, AirplaneSlider said:

Basilo should be able to tank a mosa for quite a long time with no problem so even with it catching up and hitting you a couple times it is no problem. Thats why I choose to do this kind of thing on a basilo cause they are so tanky. I have taken down alpha mosas and alpha squids with basilos before. If the squid was a high level I might need to surface and heal once in the middle but its no risk really(Unless you get glitched inside the squid).

18 hours ago, wizard03 said:

You may need anouther 1 or 2 more crossbows and you might cryo up the basil till you get the mosa in the trap first, but other than that it looks good to me

This is my typical mosa take down formula....get 5 stone behomoths, 2 doors, 1 high level sharky with a bunch of health points, 1 basil {health points again, but doesn't have to be ridiculous} cryopodded and waiting, and 1000 tranq darts with 10-20 crossbows, depending on quality.
First, place the trap on flat level ground, try to make a sneaky crook at the last gate that you can get out of with the sharky. Then use the shark as bait. Ride the shark through the open end of the trap and make sure you get the mosa in by swimming just far enough through the crook to keep him interested, but but not close enough to get nibbled on. Hop off and swim as fast as possible to the doors to close shut. You can then whistle the sharky to follow you and he will immediately move forward and away from the mosa. Just in case you hopped off too early and the mosa was able to start biting the sharky.
Proceed to pump mosa full or tranq arrows till knocked out, and make sure you have plenty of narcotic, or jellyfish jelly to keep him asleep as he will wake up just as fast as a giga. In this case, the reason for the basil is two fold. First off, if you find a low level alpha, you might be able to take it out with the basil. So he is kind of a guard for the project. But it is also useful for harvesting jellyfish jelly if your worried about the mosa waking up after you run out of narcotics. 1 jellyfish jelly is the equivalent to 2 pestle and motor narcotic. 

Hope this helps, good luck and tell us how it turned out!

P.s. I would NOT use an itchy, they just can't take the hits a mosa can dish out. Sharky is ok, but even then I would want to take any more than a dozen or so hits with a prim saddle. A basil would work, but they are indeed slow.

Bit overkill that, a 150 has just under 30k torpor, 3k base + 180 per level, 190 arrows with prim crossbows (157.5 torpor per arrow) will knock it out so 2 will be enough but take a 3rd and plenty of extra arrows just to allow for missed shots, lag, reload bug etc 

One other tip is not to put the front gate on, keep it on your hotbar and have it ready as you swim into the trap then all you have to do is swim round and snap it onto any gateway to lock it in

27 minutes ago, RageQuitter said:

One other tip is not to put the front gate on, keep it on your hotbar and have it ready as you swim into the trap then all you have to do is swim round and snap it onto any gateway to lock it in

Yep that's exactly what I did cause it's easier to place the gate than to close it. Behemoth gates take a while to close.

19 hours ago, St1ckyBandit said:

Damn I wanted to see if that actually worked. 

My first mosas I tamed solo with no trap or tames. I just found the depth he wouldnt go above and I would sit right there and arrow it, then when it ran I would race to catch up and hit it a few more time to knock it out. Problem was that in the time it ran away it would reduce its torpor a lot so I would usually end up succeding when the mosa ran into a rockwall and got stuck a bit. It was fun but I wouldnt do that again.

Same with taming quetzal solo while grappled to an argy whistling it to follow the quetzel while bobbing up and down from the grapple trying to shoot the thing. It works but its a pain.

1 hour ago, Piffguru said:

My first mosas I tamed solo with no trap or tames. I just found the depth he wouldnt go above and I would sit right there and arrow it, then when it ran I would race to catch up and hit it a few more time to knock it out. Problem was that in the time it ran away it would reduce its torpor a lot so I would usually end up succeding when the mosa ran into a rockwall and got stuck a bit. It was fun but I wouldnt do that again.

Same with taming quetzal solo while grappled to an argy whistling it to follow the quetzel while bobbing up and down from the grapple trying to shoot the thing. It works but its a pain.

Yeah, first quetz is the hardest.....damndest thing for me tho is I typically never need another quetzel after I get the first one. XD

Archived