taming question

GameFreak

i dont know what calculator everyone uses to see the exact number of points in each stat but i was curious about if it was possible to get something like 2 rexs with say 40 points in dmg each but one have significantly more dmg that the other because it might have had more points in dmg before it stood up or something? 

i understand about the selective breeding for the specific stats and all. its just i feel like its a waste of time and kibble when the creature doesnt have any good stats.

18 minutes ago, GameFreak said:

i dont know what calculator everyone uses to see the exact number of points in each stat but i was curious about if it was possible to get something like 2 rexs with say 40 points in dmg each but one have significantly more dmg that the other because it might have had more points in dmg before it stood up or something? 

i understand about the selective breeding for the specific stats and all. its just i feel like its a waste of time and kibble when the creature doesnt have any good stats.

The 'points' people speak of is the number after standing up. Its the total not the points added, if that makes sense. 

Just playing with RNG man. Keep taming. Are you seeing 140+ often enough? (Which map?) If so, stop taming 130s for a bit. The RNG is a bit more stacked against you taming 130 vs 140+ obviously but its all pretty relative and depends on the amount of dinos you can tame.

I purposefully left out the finer details of the points pretame vs posttame and the calculators used because someone else will comment that knows more about it.

Happy Hunting! 

Two creatures both with the same number of wild level ups in a stat shouldn't have dissimilar stats.

If you currently don't have the resources to waste trying to get a tame with a good stat, don't waste them. 

Since what matters for breeding is the wild level ups, you can get an idea of what stats your creature will have once it's tamed by checking its stats while it is still wild. If the stats that are important to you are complete garbage, kill the creature and keep trying. This way the only thing wasted is tranqs and time. I use Ark Smart Breeding to check and keep track of my tames' stats. If you don't use it, I highly recommend it.
But again, if you don't have the resources to gamble, don't take the risk of wasting them on a trash tame.

im a little confused, i thought it was the stats that the creature stood up with are what really matter not the stats you saw when you were taming it?

it kinda doesnt make sense to me because i had a raptor have 250 dmg when i was taming it but it only had 350 dmg when it stood up but another raptor i tamed had 205 dmg when i was taming it and it stood up with 404 dmg. so how does the 250 make the one better if the other has higher dmg in the end?

10 minutes ago, GameFreak said:

im a little confused, i thought it was the stats that the creature stood up with are what really matter not the stats you saw when you were taming it?

it kinda doesnt make sense to me because i had a raptor have 250 dmg when i was taming it but it only had 350 dmg when it stood up but another raptor i tamed had 205 dmg when i was taming it and it stood up with 404 dmg. so how does the 250 make the one better if the other has higher dmg in the end?

The stats you see when you put the dino down can give you an idea whether it's worth it to even waste the kibble to tame it. For example, you put down a rex, and he only has 15 points in melee, well then it's not even worth taming him if you looking for melee, because its not very likely that he will get that many points post-tame put into his melee. But, on the other hand, if you put down a rex that has 35 points in melee, then its worth taming him to see just how many points he might get post-tame.

In the end though, it all comes down to RNG. thats why you had one raptor that started out good with the 250, but post-tame didn't get many points in melee, and another that wasn't that good, but got a decent amount of points in melee post tame.

The stats that the creature stand up with are what matter when you are breeding, they are the stats that can be passed on, but the pre-tame stats can give you an idea about whether it's worth it to tame the creature to begin with, or just kill them.  but, again, it's all rng, so if you have the kibble to spare, then i will at least finish the tame just to see what stats they have. But if i'm short on kibble, and their stats aren't that great, then usually i will just kill them instead dof wasting the kibble.

7 minutes ago, graystorm01 said:

The stats you see when you put the dino down can give you an idea whether it's worth it to even waste the kibble to tame it. For example, you put down a rex, and he only has 15 points in melee, well then it's not even worth taming him if you looking for melee, because its not very likely that he will get that many points post-tame put into his melee. But, on the other hand, if you put down a rex that has 35 points in melee, then its worth taming him to see just how many points he might get post-tame.

In the end though, it all comes down to RNG. thats why you had one raptor that started out good with the 250, but post-tame didn't get many points in melee, and another that wasn't that good, but got a decent amount of points in melee post tame.

The stats that the creature stand up with are what matter when you are breeding, they are the stats that can be passed on, but the pre-tame stats can give you an idea about whether it's worth it to tame the creature to begin with, or just kill them.  but, again, it's all rng, so if you have the kibble to spare, then i will at least finish the tame just to see what stats they have. But if i'm short on kibble, and their stats aren't that great, then usually i will just kill them instead dof wasting the kibble.

thats what i thought, the way gale just tried to explain it really confused me lol.

im the same way, i just finish the tame to see because you never know if it might just get a really good roll in the stat you are looking for. i usually tame anything 130+ but have noticed that anything below 140 hasnt had any good stats, and i have tamed a lot, and im just not sure if its worth taming anything below a 140 at this point. which is why i decided to ask lol

5 hours ago, GaleTheWhale said:

Two creatures both with the same number of wild level ups in a stat shouldn't have dissimilar stats.

But it can happen: Rex that was tamed at 60% taming efficiency and stood up with 40 points in melee will have lower melee compared to rex that was tamed at 90% TE and stood up with same 40 points. Although for melee breeding purposes they are identical - babies that will be born from them and inherit their 40 points in melee will have their melee% corrected as if they were tamed with 100% TE (and thus even higher than parents'). This only occurs on 1st gen babies (those that are born from tamed parents).

I'll try to be thorough so I apologise if I'm telling you things you already know:

I usually check the levels of the creatures I've downed (for knockout tames) to see if it's worth the kibble. Checking these stats can be done by entering them into the tables on either the wiki or dododex (example for rex: wiki (scroll down to just above the heading "Taming"); dododex). This will tell you how many points have been spent in each stat. The number of points will be the same as the level (-1 since the first level is just the base stats). To see what I can expect, I've made myself a little table, that looks like this:

image.thumb.png.87e555c7d62c391a3bef81e14bf86069.png

What this means is: If I down a level 150 that has 7 stats that get levels (most creatures) and the levels are evenly spent on all the stats, I will get about 21 levels in each stat. I use this as my baseline - any stat above that is better than average. Some creatures only get stats in 6 levels (like most flyers which don't get any levels in the stat Speed, or a water creature, which doesn't get any levels in the stat Oxygen). For those creatures, I use the 6 stat column. Worth noting here is that, as others above have pointed out, two creatures of the same species and the same amount of points in a stat, will always have the same value in that stat.

I've also pre-calculated the levels for a level 224 (a 150 perfect tame, which is obviously not achievable for all species), level 250 to know what number of points I need in each level for a new born to birth at level 250. Same for 300 (and 350 just for fun :P ). What I mean with this (which you probably know), is that if we tame a creature with perfect taming affinity (close to 100%), that creature will gain an additional 74 levels (to a total of 224), which will all be distributed over the stats, just like if you had downed a wild level 224. This is why you had two raptors where the lower level one ended up with a higher melee damage stat - it was just more lucky when the extra levels were distributed!

Because of this difference, people often talk about pre-tame levels like in the 150 row in the table; and post-tame levels like in the 224 row in the table. Both pre- and post-tame levels increase the different stats the same way, which is different from how much a stat is increased with each level when you yourself increase the stats after the creature is tamed. The post-tame values are what will be used when breeding. These cannot be checked as easily since you also get a bonus to some stats (although sometimes a subtraction - look at the Giga for instance). For that, I always use ARK Smart Breeder which I very much recommend if you feel comfortable downloading software. ARK Smart Breeder can also give you the pre tame points, like the wiki and dododex, as well as calculate the breeding stat from a creature you've already started leveling up.

With the Tek creatures, they obviously have different max level and perfect tame, so their table is:

image.thumb.png.56e84c6493ad47f58b9d80fb66c18e43.png

And you seem to play on a server with an even higher max level, so you need to calculate the averages for that (or let me know what your max level is and I can do it).

Right, all this only serves as a reference for me, to know what stats are good. I'm using the 150 as that is the best possible on my servers - that means, even if I down a lower level, it still needs to be good compared to 150s. If I down a creature and there is no stat that has over 24-25 points, I won't tame it unless I have kibble to spare. This is just because the chance of it being any good is just too low. If I have kibble to spare, I can afford to take the chance that the creature will luck out and get a huge bonus to the stat I want.

In my case, what I'm aiming for, is roughly the Level 300 row. However, I disregard food and oxygen, so even if I got a creature with 50 or 43 levels, respectively, in each of the other stats, it wouldn't pop out as a level 300 because food and oxygen would probably be lower. Generally, I view level 45+ as a good post tame stat.

Anyway, I hope there was something in there that was new to you :) Best of luck!

On 3/9/2019 at 4:59 PM, Zahlea said:

I'll try to be thorough so I apologise if I'm telling you things you already know:

I usually check the levels of the creatures I've downed (for knockout tames) to see if it's worth the kibble. Checking these stats can be done by entering them into the tables on either the wiki or dododex (example for rex: wiki (scroll down to just above the heading "Taming"); dododex). This will tell you how many points have been spent in each stat. The number of points will be the same as the level (-1 since the first level is just the base stats). To see what I can expect, I've made myself a little table, that looks like this:

image.thumb.png.87e555c7d62c391a3bef81e14bf86069.png

What this means is: If I down a level 150 that has 7 stats that get levels (most creatures) and the levels are evenly spent on all the stats, I will get about 21 levels in each stat. I use this as my baseline - any stat above that is better than average. Some creatures only get stats in 6 levels (like most flyers which don't get any levels in the stat Speed, or a water creature, which doesn't get any levels in the stat Oxygen). For those creatures, I use the 6 stat column. Worth noting here is that, as others above have pointed out, two creatures of the same species and the same amount of points in a stat, will always have the same value in that stat.

I've also pre-calculated the levels for a level 224 (a 150 perfect tame, which is obviously not achievable for all species), level 250 to know what number of points I need in each level for a new born to birth at level 250. Same for 300 (and 350 just for fun :P ). What I mean with this (which you probably know), is that if we tame a creature with perfect taming affinity (close to 100%), that creature will gain an additional 74 levels (to a total of 224), which will all be distributed over the stats, just like if you had downed a wild level 224. This is why you had two raptors where the lower level one ended up with a higher melee damage stat - it was just more lucky when the extra levels were distributed!

Because of this difference, people often talk about pre-tame levels like in the 150 row in the table; and post-tame levels like in the 224 row in the table. Both pre- and post-tame levels increase the different stats the same way, which is different from how much a stat is increased with each level when you yourself increase the stats after the creature is tamed. The post-tame values are what will be used when breeding. These cannot be checked as easily since you also get a bonus to some stats (although sometimes a subtraction - look at the Giga for instance). For that, I always use ARK Smart Breeder which I very much recommend if you feel comfortable downloading software. ARK Smart Breeder can also give you the pre tame points, like the wiki and dododex, as well as calculate the breeding stat from a creature you've already started leveling up.

With the Tek creatures, they obviously have different max level and perfect tame, so their table is:

image.thumb.png.56e84c6493ad47f58b9d80fb66c18e43.png

And you seem to play on a server with an even higher max level, so you need to calculate the averages for that (or let me know what your max level is and I can do it).

Right, all this only serves as a reference for me, to know what stats are good. I'm using the 150 as that is the best possible on my servers - that means, even if I down a lower level, it still needs to be good compared to 150s. If I down a creature and there is no stat that has over 24-25 points, I won't tame it unless I have kibble to spare. This is just because the chance of it being any good is just too low. If I have kibble to spare, I can afford to take the chance that the creature will luck out and get a huge bonus to the stat I want.

In my case, what I'm aiming for, is roughly the Level 300 row. However, I disregard food and oxygen, so even if I got a creature with 50 or 43 levels, respectively, in each of the other stats, it wouldn't pop out as a level 300 because food and oxygen would probably be lower. Generally, I view level 45+ as a good post tame stat.

Anyway, I hope there was something in there that was new to you :) Best of luck!

What is this with 6 or 7 stats? I thought every dino gets speed points (wasted points, giving level to dino but not the % of speed). And what about gacha? Did points after taming splits with production effectiviness or its base like 100% on every gacha?

1 hour ago, Brusterx said:

What is this with 6 or 7 stats? I thought every dino gets speed points (wasted points, giving level to dino but not the % of speed). And what about gacha? Did points after taming splits with production effectiviness or its base like 100% on every gacha?

Basically, since the flyer nerf all flyers who no longer can level speed don't get wasted levels in speed either, so their points are distributed to Health, Stamina, Oxygen, Food, Weight, Melee Damage = 6 stats. All other creatures still get points put in speed, i.e. "wasted levels" (to my knowledge). Then most/all of the aquatic creatures don't use the Oxygen stat. They still get wasted levels in speed, but as they don't get points in Oxygen, they are also at 6 stats where point can be distributed.

Points after taming, i.e. the points you decide where to put, are not a factor when it comes to breeding and are thus not interesting to me when I decide whether a creature has good or bad stats. They are, however, important to how good the creature is in its utility, of course.

22 minutes ago, Zahlea said:

Basically, since the flyer nerf all flyers who no longer can level speed don't get wasted levels in speed either, so their points are distributed to ...

Oh there it is

Is this on official only? Cz i supose with mod "classic flyers" im still getting this speed points on flyers and even mutations can go in speed ( not affecting the % anyway)

22 hours ago, Brusterx said:

Oh there it is

Is this on official only? Cz i supose with mod "classic flyers" im still getting this speed points on flyers and even mutations can go in speed ( not affecting the % anyway)

This is on all servers that doesn't have a mod that changes creature stats, I would assume. If you have classic flyers, the flyers will still get wasted levels in speed, but the water dinos will still only get points in 6 stats (including wasted levels in speed) since they don't get oxygen.

I don't believe this is the case, but it's worth noting that I might be wrong when it comes to water creatures and that they indeed do get levels in oxygen. In this case this, too is counted as wasted levels.

Archived