Advice on Bee Hives

DeHammer

I'm new to the game and I've done a fair amount of reading & research on the various issues as they've come up. How to do this, how do to that, etc. I've got quite a nice sky fortress going in the city on Extinction (private PVE server). Yesterday I acquired  Dire Bear, planning to eventually use it for harvesting honey. Shortly after while doing some scouting around my base I discovered there's a large bee hive hidden behind some trees right on my base! I cleared the area and built a nice structure to protect and contain the hive. 

But here's where I need some advice from more experienced players... do I just harvest the honey with my Dire Bear, or should I try to stir up the nest and capture the queen bee? I've never done either before, but have watched others do it in videos. I would think having a queen bee might be better than the easy honey harvesting, but don't want to mess this up. This is a super sweet opportunity to have a hive right on my base.

I do have another hive nearby that I'm planning to 'test' on. I also have the rare flower for bee taming. 

When the queen bee 'arrives', if the hive is contained in a structure, does the queen appear in the structure as well? Or does she 'show up' as if she were off flying around somewhere else? 

I'm including some images of my bee hive and protective structure. 

Advice?

20190119091824_1_reduced.jpg

20190119091835_1_reduced.jpg

Nice finds :) Its really up to you whether you want to maintain a bee hive or not, with a dire bear you use the swipe attack to collect honey without damaging the hive. 

As to the bee, the queen appears when you destroy the hive. She will pop out st the hive location and fly away. If you have it contained like the photo she -shouldnt- fly out but bees are notoriously fickle. As soon as you atack the bees will mess you up (drones) you could box your dire bear in with the test hive, if you destroy the nest with the bear (should take 5-10 hits) you wont get as much aggro (and wont get knocked off) but if you arent careful you will kill the queen

Make sure you have full ghillie and bug repellent applied before you attack the hive for minimal chances to mess up. 

For the main boxed hive if the bear thing doesnt work, you can use a pike with a few extea sets of ghillie plus repelent and man handle your way to the hive destroyed. 

Let us know how it works out :) 

Edit: Personally, I would tame the 2nd hive with bear then slap a dino gate over the door place you have currently  over the hive at ur base for easy dire bear farming incase your main hive dies or you dont want to maintain it after awhile.

41 minutes ago, Novawiz00 said:

Up keeping a hive isn’t hard, you will just need rare flowers.

Thanks guys! Great info. On the above comment, I didn't realize that keeping a hive required rare flowers. I thought they were just for taming the queen. Or maybe the comment implies capturing the queen then keeping a domestic hive? 

Do you need rare flowers to keep a wild hive and 'farm' it with a Dire Bear?

I think I should follow the advice to try to get a queen elsewhere and keep this hive as is. 

2 hours ago, DeHammer said:

Thanks guys! Great info. On the above comment, I didn't realize that keeping a hive required rare flowers. I thought they were just for taming the queen. Or maybe the comment implies capturing the queen then keeping a domestic hive? 

Do you need rare flowers to keep a wild hive and 'farm' it with a Dire Bear?

I think I should follow the advice to try to get a queen elsewhere and keep this hive as is. 

No, wild ones replenish the honey. Every 15 mins you can harvest it with a bear.

Tamed ones in hive form you just keep a stack of flowers in the hive, if you know where to get flowers just farm once and throw a few hundred in and youll be fine

Edit: Id better clarify it seems youre confused on how a tamed bee works: Once tamed, it follows you like normal tames. You go up to it and hold action button and it transforms into.a bee hive in your inventory, you then place it wherever (not on foundations) and throw flowers in the inventory and it passivley generates honey

You open it with full ghillie to take out the honey and not take damage (you take considerable damage without) 

Excellent. Thanks for the great info. 

Its clear to me that I'm better off to keep the hive wild, as is, and just use the Dire Bear to get honey when needed. 

This afternoon I captured another Dire Bear... a higher level female (130) to see if I could successfully dart her to unconsciousness without her health dropping too much. I decided to try some homey in taming. I used my current Dire Bear, rode him up the ramp to the little window, opened it, and the used the Dire Bears right click attack once and scooped out 15 honey. It worked nicely. The new Dire Bear was tamed with honey. 

Incidentally, the area where the hive was found was going to be my new DIre Bear pen. I also completed that, and now they have a bee hive right in their pen area. The 'Bear Necessities'. 

3 hours ago, DeHammer said:

Excellent. Thanks for the great info. 

Its clear to me that I'm better off to keep the hive wild, as is, and just use the Dire Bear to get honey when needed. 

This afternoon I captured another Dire Bear... a higher level female (130) to see if I could successfully dart her to unconsciousness without her health dropping too much. I decided to try some homey in taming. I used my current Dire Bear, rode him up the ramp to the little window, opened it, and the used the Dire Bears right click attack once and scooped out 15 honey. It worked nicely. The new Dire Bear was tamed with honey. 

Incidentally, the area where the hive was found was going to be my new DIre Bear pen. I also completed that, and now they have a bee hive right in their pen area. The 'Bear Necessities'. 

Hah awesome man. For future reference, use the quote or mention function (@username)  so someone knows you replied :P 

Congrats, I never mentioned the value received from wild hives because I play a boosted server, I also get 15 so thats good to know. There will come a time when you need larger quantities of honey (sweet veggie cakes - taming direbears and megatherium) so dont totally shut down the idea of taming a bee. You can also cryofreeze it (or keep in hive form in a storage box) if it becomes to much upkeep

Happy Arking man - side note: I like your building style!

Archived