Archived Patch Notes

Jatheish

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, the steam forums are irritating.

People tend to forget that this is "Early Access". The game is not complete. The players on the Xbox One are lucky. When started on PC there was barely anything. They are constantly adding new dinos to the game, new biomes, new craftable items...trust me when i tell you that these guys that are making this game are working for more than most other early access games. This game has come a long long way in a very short period of time.

But if you bought the game and you are upset about some glitches, the amount of content.....you have nobody to blame but yourselves because like i said, its an early access game. That was not a secret.

So like GamerPerfection says...Nobody is getting screwed.

13 hours ago, StoneCutter said:

Tom!!

Whats up? They keeping you in the dark also? That is going to make your job as "Community Officer" a bit tough isn't it?

Actually its not tough at all. I enjoy and love working with them together and been doing this for about six months already. I rarely saw another dev team being so commited to something as Studio Wildcard. And to repeat myself again: An ETA is still an estimation and not any guarantee for any release. The date is estimated based on the regular developing, not considering any upcoming bugs or other problems.

If have you have coded before you may know the situation.. you start coding and suddenly come over a problem you didnt consider before. This problem might be small or might be big. However you need to overcome it somehow. And this means a further delay which was not planned before.

Updating the patch notes in this second may be waste of time as well, as you dont know how much more time you need to fix it. So I think that might be a reason why sometimes the patch notes are not immediatly updated once the ETA is overdue - but I can live with that :)

11 minutes ago, Tom said:

If have you have coded before you may know the situation.. you start coding and suddenly come over a problem you didnt consider before. This problem might be small or might be big. However you need to overcome it somehow. And this means a further delay which was not planned before.

Updating the patch notes in this second may be waste of time as well, as you dont know how much more time you need to fix it. So I think that might be a reason why sometimes the patch notes are not immediatly updated once the ETA is overdue - but I can live with that :)

Tom that is why many companies give ETA's only "after" they are ready to release a patch (and release it 6-12 hours after they are ready to release it - so people can get ready). Not before that. Especially if the ETA's are short term ETA's like this. (By that I mean not month long ETA's, rather 1-2 day and even shorter estimations)

12 minutes ago, Tom said:

An ETA is still an estimation

And sorry but, giving an estimation for 1 day later, than releasing it 5-6 days later can not be considered an "estimation". And also not considered a kind action. (Especially when it happens almost on every single major patch)

Those being said, it doesn't mean I am not grateful for everything the Devs are doing. I truly love them, their hard work and their game. But a little more sensitivity for their players would have been nice. Considering ARK is a hugely time consuming game, Taming / Breeding / Feeding babies etc takes long times and beforehand planning to sort, and every time they postpone the Patches like this, they are damaging hundreds if not thousands of players at the same time. 

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, Tom said:

I think this pretty much sums it up for all those that complain about lack of communication with delayed Patch Notes. People don't look beyond the "why haven't they updated us yet" bit and don't give consideration to what else is going on.

Keep it up Tom, you and the Dev team are doing an awesome job!

I don't have a problem with delays in patches - I think at this point, they do unfortunately miss their expect release dates quite often, they would be better off just removing the ETA all together.
They can put out the patch notes of the next expected release, but the date being there just makes impatient people angry, then arguing ensues.

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Actually its not tough at all. I enjoy and love working with them together and been doing this for about six months already. I rarely saw another dev team being so commited to something as Studio Wildcard. And to repeat myself again: An ETA is still an estimation and not any guarantee for any release. The date is estimated based on the regular developing, not considering any upcoming bugs or other problems.

But this very thing is the issue. I am a project manager here in the real world, my projects impact both passenger and cargo transportation for fairly large region. My projects encompass everything from the programming side of enterprise software component integration to construction and O&M. If you are telling you parents/friends that you are on your way then you give an ETA based on current conditions and traffic. You may be there early you may be there late.

In a professional situation where you have stakeholders, customers and consumers "depending" on your word you have to be more careful with your ETAs. In this situation the ETA is most often considered "no later than". For my team I ask that they give me an ETA of the worse possible finish date, that way I can schedule the various teams around that. If something is coming up to push a date back I need to know days in advance so I can reschedule and perform damage control. If something or multiple somethings are early then it gives us more time for some other things or even, gasp, push a project through early.

I think Wildcard has done a great job with the game, it is awesome. They could go much further and improve communications, it really is the most important part of any relationship and the very core of professionalism. So when you are saying that delays without communication cannot be avoided you are not being completely honest, or you are relaying a lie. I understand you are in no position to make changes to this, you are very much in the position of "relaying the lie", which really is unfortunate.

The bulk of the "irate" community could be dealt with using realistic "ETAs" and better communication. To say this cannot happen because in effect "we do not know what we are doing therefore cannot update you" Is a pretty lame cop out that everyone can see through.

5 minutes ago, GamerPerfection said:

But then with no ETA displayed people will constantly post threads asking when the next update patch is coming. As i've always said it's a lose/lose situation for the Devs.

its true - but at least they don't have the accountability of not being released on the date they had posted.

Or maybe make the ETA like "Mid December" or "End of December" rather than a specific date.

• Tom pinned this topic
  • Jen unpinned this topic

Archived