No support for legacy servers? Seriously?

Kamala

1 minute ago, Ulta said:

Well then keep thinking that. Everything mentioned so far is purely speculation to if this ONE-TIME switch and legacy not getting supported is gonna kill ARK. The flyer nerf had a bigger hit than this I'll bet. And you have no idea where those 'troves' of players on officials are going...or what they'll do on release. Sooo...speculation...a negative speculation at that.

Unlike most people here though, I'm looking at the positives. I feel sorry for the PVE players who got on the kill list or ones that are still on Legacy(since with no in-game way to regulate your server from trolls, you are at teh mercy of the game), but the PVP players need to grow a pair and realize getting wiped by a dev once and those same devs giving you MANY options to either continue playing how you want or bring it elsewhere FAIRLY, is no big deal. Just rebuild elsewhere, or leave. You got your thousands of hours out of ARK. It was a fun run. Don't try to burn it to the ground on your way out just cause your butthurt on how a company does EA (successfully mind you too).

You think this'll hurt future DLC? Maybe a little bit, but not from those new players, or the people who truly stay with ARK because they love the game. I'm buying those DLC's if they interest me, and if they end up like SE, they'll be successful most likely.

We'll see at launch just how ARK does. But after seeing that Gamescon video, I am optimistically expecting to see a HUGE player count increase on release and the months after.

Don't worry the but Big tribes aren't running from ark, we'll see all those new players on the battlefields of the new servers just like we did in the old servers when the line were first being drawn. The forums will be filled again with post of the big bad alpha killed my base. The chaos that is coming to the new PVP servers will be worse then before since the veterans will be mixed with new. No sane mega is staying behind after the clear lack of care by WC. The same will happen in the new servers, the new players that bought the game for the wrong reasons not knowing what they got themselves into will either quit or run to unofficials.

And as far as the flyer nerf PvP'ers loved and wanted it (except maybe the Chinese who loved to exploit it). PVE was the majority of the hate there.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Ganelon said:

As others have noted, there never really WAS support... so it is the status quo. Legacy Server will be the post apoc Mad Max servers. Feel free to call the new server folk 'Care Bears' is that helps.

Full disclosure... I never played any Official server and was planning to wait for the completed game to give it a go. So... I have no skin in the game for this issue.

As a developer, I can understand the technical issue with trying to keep stability with legacy data that is KNOWN to be glitched(due to dupe exploits, historic bugs, and DDOS attacks)... as well as dealing with older mesh issues. Personally, I would have gone a modified wipe scenario, where the map and all items were cleared, but players would be saved(sans all items) for reintroduction in the clean world. I think it is totally fair to expect a go live wipe... and the "loyalty" reward is keeping your high level characters. There are solid technical reasons to do this... and it is the better choice for the player base, regardless of the pre-live investments.

But... that isn't the way they decided to go. The 'no support' route is harsh backhand. At the very least, they could have offered a limited support that is modified to not include help with legacy glitch issues that would not have been an issue if the legacy player base had not fought the modified wipe option.

All in all... this is a bad technical and PR decision.

Agree with this man... most things lol. Thank you for an intelligent, thought out post.

8 minutes ago, Ulta said:

Well then keep thinking that. Everything mentioned so far is purely speculation to if this ONE-TIME switch and legacy not getting supported is gonna kill ARK. The flyer nerf had a bigger hit than this I'll bet. And you have no idea where those 'troves' of players on officials are going...or what they'll do on release. Sooo...speculation...a negative speculation at that.

Unlike most people here though, I'm looking at the positives. I feel sorry for the PVE players who got on the kill list or ones that are still on Legacy(since with no in-game way to regulate your server from trolls, you are at teh mercy of the game), but the PVP players need to grow a pair and realize getting wiped by a dev once and those same devs giving you MANY options to either continue playing how you want or bring it elsewhere FAIRLY, is no big deal. Just rebuild elsewhere, or leave. You got your thousands of hours out of ARK. It was a fun run. Don't try to burn it to the ground on your way out just cause your butthurt on how a company does EA (successfully mind you too).

You think this'll hurt future DLC? Maybe a little bit, but not from those new players, or the people who truly stay with ARK because they love the game. I'm buying those DLC's if they interest me, and if they end up like SE, they'll be successful most likely.

We'll see at launch just how ARK does. But after seeing that Gamescon video, I am optimistically expecting to see a HUGE player count increase on release and the months after. And that my friend, is what matters.

Well, I guess they will break the record of 101000 players playing ark at the same time in the next week, a record they set back in January and never ever got close to again.

11 minutes ago, Hypsy said:

The line where things go from strategy to exploitation is pretty damn clear by now and I would expect after release that WC will do more than just destroy your structures if you carry on.

This is ark life guy. WC has known about and even participated in it pushing things one way or the other. These things will not go away in the new servers. Welcome to ARK, don't like what you see? This is the game that we all helped create!

43 minutes ago, Ganelon said:

As others have noted, there never really WAS support... so it is the status quo. Legacy Server will be the post apoc Mad Max servers. Feel free to call the new server folk 'Care Bears' is that helps.

Full disclosure... I never played any Official server and was planning to wait for the completed game to give it a go. So... I have no skin in the game for this issue.

As a developer, I can understand the technical issue with trying to keep stability with legacy data that is KNOWN to be glitched(due to dupe exploits, historic bugs, and DDOS attacks)... as well as dealing with older mesh issues. Personally, I would have gone a modified wipe scenario, where the map and all items were cleared, but players would be saved(sans all items) for reintroduction in the clean world. I think it is totally fair to expect a go live wipe... and the "loyalty" reward is keeping your high level characters. There are solid technical reasons to do this... and it is the better choice for the player base, regardless of the pre-live investments.

But... that isn't the way they decided to go. The 'no support' route is harsh backhand. At the very least, they could have offered a limited support that is modified to not include help with legacy glitch issues that would not have been an issue if the legacy player base had not fought the modified wipe option.

All in all... this is a bad technical and PR decision.

While I agree with what you say in your ''As a developer'' paragraph, I believe you could understand why some of ''Official servers'' folks are skeptical. These devs never showed they were able to fix those glitches and dupes. How do we know it...because the more time passed the more glitches and dupes there was. So suddenly we're to expect these devs to finally have a fool proof solution to what has happening a for at least a year. 

If they had a REAL solution to duping, alpha/beta stage was the time to implement it. Of course they couldn't have ELIMINATED every single duped item, but they would have stopped further duping. But, if you sniff a little around the net, you can easily find proof that if anything, duping got worse and worse. 

Maybe you believe in them, but I honestly have my doubts. 

7 minutes ago, Pilate72 said:

They're just putting us out to pasture.

Ahem...

Dev:         Here's one-
Cart-master: Ninepence.
Veteran:     (feebly) I'm not dead!
Cart-master: (suprised) What?
Dev:         Nothing!  Here's your ninepence....
Veteran:     I'm not dead!
Cart-master: 'Ere!  'E says 'e's not dead!
Dev:         Yes he is.
Veteran:     I'm not!
Cart-master: 'E isn't?
Dev:         Well... he will be soon-- he's very ill...
Veteran:     I'm getting better!
Dev:         No you're not, you'll be stone dead in a moment.
Cart-master: I can't take 'im like that!  It's against regulations!
Veteran:     I don't want to go on the cart....
Dev:         Oh, don't be such a baby.
Cart-master: I can't take 'im....
Veteran:     I feel fine!
Dev:         Well, do us a favor...
Cart-master: I can't!
Dev:         Can you hang around a couple of minutes?  He won't be long...
Cart-master: No, gotta get to Robinson's, they lost nine today.
Dev:         Well, when's your next round?
Cart-master: Thursday.
Veteran:     I think I'll go for a walk....
Dev:         You're not fooling anyone, you know--
         (to Cart-master) Look, isn't there something you can do...?

(they both look around)

Veteran:     I feel happy!  I feel happy!

(the Cart-master deals the veteran a swift blow to the head with his wooden
spoon.    The veteran goes limp.)

Dev:         (throwing the veteran onto the cart) Ah.  thanks very much.
Cart-master: Not at all.  See you on Thursday!
Dev: Right!  All right....

2 minutes ago, lvirusl said:

And as far as the flyer nerf PvP'ers loved and wanted it (except maybe the Chinese who loved to exploit it). PVE was the majority of the hate there.

This 100000%

I was pretty salty about the speed of the quetzy for a while but in the last few days I tried some unofficial PvP with classic flyers and yeah Its no-where near as enjoyable as I remember it. Flying around at 600% until the other guy lags and then dropping him isn't as fun as i remember now that it actually takes skill to kill someone with a flyer.

Just now, lvirusl said:

This is ark life guy. WC has known about and even participated in it pushing things one way or the other. These things will not go away in the new servers. Welcome to ARK, don't like what you see? This is the game that we all helped create!

Mate, I love this game, You don't even know.

4 minutes ago, lvirusl said:

The same will happen in the new servers, the new players that bought the game for the wrong reasons not knowing what they got themselves into will either quit or run to unofficials.

Buy ARK for the wrong reasons...? Care to clarify how one buys a game for the wrong reasons?

I highlighted just this bit because this is why I feel ARK won't fail. New players from what I've seen at present are still getting by, even on the really un-fun (imo) official PVP servers. I don't really see a whole ton of new players outright 'quitting' from being wiped a lot, though I can understand that mentality. I've seen a couple of threads of new players asking for advice though, which is nice. They are smart enough to turn to the vets to see the secrets of surviving and evolving in the ARK.  It's usually the immature players that rage quit. And if they move to unofficial, then that's STILL a player playing ARK.

As long as there's players playing ARK, Ark won't die. And WC is gonna continue to make content and expand upon their game to keep their players invested and coming back for more for years to come.

2 minutes ago, Hypsy said:

Mate, I love this game, You don't even know.

Do you think I am angry at the devs because I hate the game ? Honestly. I love the game as much as you do, but I am pissed at people who are breaking it. And the fact that I will need to find something else to do for countless hours every day. 

1 minute ago, Ulta said:

Buy ARK for the wrong reasons...? Care to clarify how one buys a game for the wrong reasons?

I highlighted just this bit because this is why I feel ARK won't fail. New players from what I've seen at present are still getting by, even on the really un-fun (imo) official PVP servers. I don't really see a whole ton of new players outright 'quitting' from being wiped a lot, though I can understand that mentality. I've seen a couple of threads of new players asking for advice though, which is nice. They are smart enough to turn to the vets to see the secrets of surviving and evolving in the ARK.  It's usually the immature players that rage quit. And if they move to unofficial, then that's STILL a player playing ARK.

As long as there's players playing ARK, Ark won't die. And WC is gonna continue to make content and expand upon their game to keep their players invested and coming back for more for years to come.

And yet here I am playing on official PVE server and chatting with at lease one or two new players who come and ask ''Can people destroy your thinks on this server, because on my last they killed me so many times''. 

As for the bolded part...would you mind explaining why are you so certain that will be the case (content) ?

TEK stuff has been planned for a year and a half...you are getting it by a water drop count...one item every two months. 

As for proper content...last maps they added were all MOD created and got integrated in the game. They didn't work on Center..they paid the original mod to keep working on it. They didn't work on Ragnarok, they paid the original MODs to keep working on it. 

2 minutes ago, Bamboozle333 said:

Made an account just to complain about Wildcard's bull***t. Also for all of you saying "They're gonna save your server and you can download it later" what the heck... have you not been around WildCard? If their "downloads" are anything like their scheduling, you won't be able to download your server until at least a year... ASSUMING THEY EVEN STORE IT. You Seriously think they care about storing your data over the actual release? You seriously think it'll be done in a timely manner without "Oh there was a bug and all the servers were deleted." You're as dumb as you sound. Sure new servers are good, but they're gonna be just as ugly as they would've been in legacy. You have lots of the old alpha legend tribes moving over to the new servers [in case you weren't informed]. If you don't join with one of them then guess what: Mr. Noob plays the game for 3 months and finally unlocks metal tier and by that time the mega alphas are already planning on raiding. At least in legacy you could still find safe havens.

This guy gets it. It's like people must be blind and deaf or pretending that the new servers are going to save the officials from the big bad problems of bug glitches and alphas. The large tribes will shut down all new servers PvP and PvE and its going to be a hellish couple of months

17 hours ago, WWilson said:

They have your money now why would they care.

Express your displeasure with tanking their steam rating and update with every new version.

Remind them who pays their bills.

In a way I guess your right but as I understand it they said there would be more future DLC maps,  now pissing off the amount of players they have done (most of there current loyal customers)  is surely going to have an effect on how many of us players buy future dlc.   I know quiet a few who have quit that would definitely of bought any future maps.  

Bahahhahaha. Well played wildcard. They seem to have been pro wipe to.

All the pro wipers here like..."tsk tsk we told u guys so" bahahahahahahahaha.

Should a just let em wipe it. Now, its time for a slow death. Sad dissapointment.

I mean, what did you think they were going to do. Probably 90% of the player base is either duping, or in possession of duped items/Dino's. They say f you to the people that said f them n broke their game.

Well done WC, well done.

1 minute ago, powerstuck said:

And yet here I am playing on official PVE server and chatting with at lease one or two new players who come and ask ''Can people destroy your thinks on this server, because on my last they killed me so many times''. 

As for the bolded part...would you mind explaining why are you so certain that will be the case (content) ?

TEK stuff has been planned for a year and a half...you are getting it by a water drop count...one item every two months. 

As for proper content...last maps they added were all MOD created and got integrated in the game. They didn't work on Center..they paid the original mod to keep working on it. They didn't work on Ragnarok, they paid the original MODs to keep working on it. 

There's a reason I said I feel sorry for Legacy PVE players. You pretty much summed it up right there.

Why am I certain WC will continue to make more content? Because they have that 'ABC' mentaility. 'Always Be Creating'. They already have 2 DLC planned, one for Xmas time this year, and another for 2018. Just because the game is coming out of EA does not by any way mean they are halting making stuff for it. Not in the least, and MANY people can back me up on this. WC is much too content-heavy minded (so much so that we can see it's not in their PR department)...sure I don't think we'll get a ton of content added like we had in EA. We can maybe expect at least something new whenever a sale hits, or maybe once a month at the very least. Other than the two DLC's, I don't have any proof...other than pointing out that every gosh dang interview always had them saying they are making stuff constantly.

We still have all this too listed in the patch notes:

- "Boss Wars"
- More Creatures, Gear, Armors, Weapons, & Structures! (this alone is a lot of content)
- DirectX12 Mode for Windows 10! Approximate +20% perf 
- Random GPU Driver crash fix: TrueSky
- GPU & CPU rendering optimizations

And that's not even counting the mod stuff they might add. Just because someone else made it doesn't make it anything less new for players to enjoy once they add it. It's still content.

So to me, that's a loooot of stuff to look forward to. Even release is having that extra stuff added, and heck, there was a clue that we might even get a new DLC or something days after launch! So maybe those extra 23% servers will be directed to a brand-spanking new DLC map.

I'm getting off-topic though. No customer support for Legacy does suck regardless, but to me, it's not gonna kill ARK. And we shall see at launch what happens. Honestly this release sounds like it's gonna have a LOT more happening than just adding a Phoenix and an otter and a new 'end game'...I'm excited to see ARK break out of it's EA shell. It's been a long 2 years coming, and anyone who has played it for this long, played it for that long for a reason. If this is the nail in the coffin for you to say you must take your leave, then go ahead. But leave with dignity. you had fun with an awesome game, and who knows...the call of the wild will probably entice you to return, especially when DLC comes out...you will not return because of the devs. You will return because you love ARK and it is a fun game.

Yeah well, they kept their word: They are keeping the original servers around. Not in the way that people wanted/or expected, but they will be around. So that gives people the options of:

• Starting over on a new server and leaving everything behind
  • Sticking around on the current server
  • Quitting completely

What is most frustrating is the amount of time sunk into the game thus far. Had I know the wool would have been pulled over my eyes down the road, I probably and most obviously would NOT have sunk so much time into this particular game.

I am torn in the sense that I do want to play on my Legacy server if no one new is really joining and if there is zero support. On the other hand, I cannot fathom spending months rebuilding, re-taming, re-breeding for colors/stats, dealing with stuff "dying" all over again, dealing with walls not fitting correctly, down time, tames getting attacked, 150s poofing, pillar spam, races to get metal.. Doesnt sound like fun looking forward to things.

On the other hand, if you dont jump start this week you'll be that sad new guy down the road trying to build a poop shack on the beach because every logical and remotely decent place will be taken. SO the new servers will end up clones of the current servers a few months from now.

meh

I don't think enough attention was given to the Monty Python reference above.

4 minutes ago, JetJaguar said:

Yeah well, they kept their word: They are keeping the original servers around. Not in the way that people wanted/or expected, but they will be around. So that gives people the options of:

• Starting over on a new server and leaving everything behind
  • Sticking around on the current server
  • Quitting completely

Never forget the fourth option:

• Hammer Time

9 minutes ago, JetJaguar said:

On the other hand, I cannot fathom spending months rebuilding, re-taming, re-breeding for colors/stats, dealing with stuff "dying" all over again, dealing with walls not fitting correctly, down time, tames getting attacked, 150s poofing, pillar spam, races to get metal.. Doesnt sound like fun looking forward to things.

I'm sorry but...I have to say this...

Are you telling me you do NONE of that on your LEGACY? Because if you do none of that...then what kind of game experience are you even playing? At that point, all you do is come on and feed your tames and play 'upkeep'...which sounds vastly more boring than everything you just listed. Well except the pillar spam(community problem) and 150's disappearing (a bug that I've never encountered)...

As a player who has had to rebuild on PVE servers a majority of my two year Ark life, I can say without a doubt that rebuilding on a new server was one of the LESS TERRIBLE things I've had to do in the game. Because once we hit end-game (on PVE), the only thing that got us to play again, was moving to a new map, thus needign to rebuild, re-tame, and re-live the Ark life once more. Rebuilding a base isn't all that amusing (personal opinion though, not everyone is like that), but taming? Breeding? Resource gathering? PVP (for some)? Trading? Mutations? Dealing with set backs? This is ALL ARK...and if you played Ark for a long time, then basically everything you listed must not have annoyed you enough to where you hit end game.

I'm sorry, but I can't see your logic.

1 minute ago, Ulta said:

I'm sorry but...I have to say this...

Are you telling me you do NONE of that on your LEGACY? Because if you do none of that...then what kind of game experience are you even playing? At that point, all you do is come on and feed your tames and play 'upkeep'...which sounds vastly more boring than everything you just listed. Well except the pillar spam(community problem) and 150's disappearing (a bug that I've never encountered)...

As a player who has had to rebuild on PVE servers a majority of my two year Ark life, I can say without a doubt that rebuilding on a new server was one of the LESS TERRIBLE things I've had to do in the game. Because once we hit end-game (on PVE), the only thing that got us to play again, was moving to a new map, thus needign to rebuild, re-tame, and re-live the Ark life once more. Rebuilding a base isn't all that amusing (personal opinion though, not everyone is like that), but taming? Breeding? Resource gathering? PVP (for some)? Trading? Mutations? Dealing with set backs? This is ALL ARK...and if you played Ark for a long time, then basically everything you listed must not have annoyed you enough to where you hit end game.

I'm sorry, but I can't see your logic.

You have alot of commentary today but I was venting my *own* logic...  I went through the nonsense of getting established on the server. Something that took months of getting stuff setup, coming to the forums to bump posts about bugs/issues with the game that were making aggrivating, etc. After finally getting over the hump and getting to a point where breeding was going nice and stats were finally passing off, theres a new hurdle now and Im not sure its one I want to keep pursuing/dealing with.

You may enjoy the game aspect of rebuilding over and over: I dont. Not everyone is going to enjoy or mind the same stuff. I dont play Ark to have to deal with pillar wars, server policing or endless base building. I play for other reasons as im sure many do. Some play for pvp, some for elaborate building, some for breeding, some for boss runs....all different.

2 minutes ago, alexio86 said:

but the topic title is " No support for legacy servers? Seriously? "

seems here you are going off topic. 

support why you not support anymore legacy? ok wildcard your support is really ..... wait weeks and nothing but why not support for legacy???

why????? 

Off topic? I sugguest you look at the thread list on the forums right now. The mods are having a hard enough time keeping them all consolidated to one tread as is.

14 minutes ago, JetJaguar said:

You have alot of commentary today but I was venting my *own* logic...  I went through the nonsense of getting established on the server. Something that took months of getting stuff setup, coming to the forums to bump posts about bugs/issues with the game that were making aggrivating, etc. After finally getting over the hump and getting to a point where breeding was going nice and stats were finally passing off, theres a new hurdle now and Im not sure its one I want to keep pursuing/dealing with.

You may enjoy the game aspect of rebuilding over and over: I dont. Not everyone is going to enjoy or mind the same stuff. I dont play Ark to have to deal with pillar wars, server policing or endless base building. I play for other reasons as im sure many do. Some play for pvp, some for elaborate building, some for breeding, some for boss runs....all different.

That's all fine then. But it doesn't sound like you enjoyed the ride at all then if you are describing the road through progression to be 'nonsense'. I dunno what this new hurdle is either, would have been nice if you mentioned what that is.

But yeah you have your own personal reasons. IF starting over isn't your cup of tea, then that's fine. I'm sure it's not for everyone. Just soem of us can grit our teeth and bare the bad that comes with reaching the good.

Guest BubbaCrawfish
9 hours ago, CyberAngel67 said:

yes you will get all updates, all DLC and even all official mods. Already stated by WC that will happen.

"Do note that this is for Customer Support only, which is the process of submitting a ticket through our support system. Legacy clusters for PS4 and for Xbox will still be receiving Ragnarok servers. Legacy servers will also receive all of the same fixes and content that the new cluster will."

How do you read this, and come to that conclusion... Like any server updates, they will receive the content, and fixes, but if no other servers are added to these clusters, then how are they going to end up with new maps, and all the DLCs? Sure, they get the fixes, and the updates, but will they get new servers with new maps when those new setups do come out.

3 hours ago, Hypsy said:

This, completely agreed.

Every single huge tribe I've talked to (and i get around, lol) has commented on the duped items or at least acknowledged the problem and talked about how they can't wait for a fresh start.

Sometimes I wonder if the people commenting here are the same people who say they got raided when someone destroys their thatch kingdom.

Feel free to post what tribe/server you're in along with your 'complaints' guys.

If you want a meaningless experience going forward then go play UnOfficial,
The current state of Official is sad and that is because of the PLAYERS, not because of WildCard.

It is because of WildCard, people who are DDoS'ing to do duping should have been banned the moment they became aware of it and knew who they where. The failure to act, cause the call to wipe the servers in the first place.

So yeah, you certainly can blame WildCard for doing nothing about it.

Archived