PC to Console server hosting

thejoker00

1 minute ago, BrixunMortar said:

so u pay for a poopty nitrado server? host ur own to avoid lag, just to get the same poopty experience? c'mon

Will be interesting to see how it goes, I am sticking to my xbox host for now at least, I did a quick google search for Nitrado reviews and it was not great, But we will not know until about a month or so after they release them then I will make up my mind.

Yeah I'm hanging on with my PS4 server that I've got running. I priced up a 4gb server with 20 slots and it was around £22/month. I spent £40 on a 'broken' PS4 which cost me £20 to repair and equip with a HDD. So 3 months in and I've surpassed the cost of my PS4 server. The only thing is my poopty internet which doesn't cause many issues to the guys that play on my server, but really isn't the best speed. 

18 minutes ago, thejoker00 said:

I've got an old desktop which has a decent spec in it which I was hoping to use. But if it's almost impossible to host a PS4 server on PC then I won't bother investigating it, which is a massive shame really.

Whilst it's not technically impossible, you're just not allowed due to the security/authentication stuff. It'll only happen on Xbox because of Play Anywhere and the fact an Xbox is basically a Windows computer tailored specifically for a purpose, plus you sign into the console and computer with the same MS account etc. Even then this will only let Xbox and Win 10 players play together, not cross-platform with PS4 and/or Steam gamers.

10 minutes ago, thedogowl said:

You priced up a what!? and it was how much!? :o

Hahah not an actual server for my personal purchase! A rented server through Nitrado. You can specify number of slots and required RAM installed in the server for your rental. I specified 20 slots (so 20 character slots) and an upgrade to 4gb of RAM to allow slightly smoother handling of data processing and it came to around £22/month. 

https://server.nitrado.net/eng/order-gameserver

The server pricing isn't that bad actually, you just need to weigh up the cost vs hosting on a second console - cost of console, the constant electricity use, noise/heat (depending on where the second console is located) etc. If you have a group of friends who are active players then if you split the cost it becomes pretty manageable.

48 minutes ago, thejoker00 said:

Yeah I'm hanging on with my PS4 server that I've got running. I priced up a 4gb server with 20 slots and it was around £22/month. I spent £40 on a 'broken' PS4 which cost me £20 to repair and equip with a HDD. So 3 months in and I've surpassed the cost of my PS4 server. The only thing is my poopty internet which doesn't cause many issues to the guys that play on my server, but really isn't the best speed. 

20 slots is £13.20 per month, the RAM slider they have is just for minecraft servers so you do not need to add extra ram for ark.

3 minutes ago, cfrostyscriv said:

20 slots is £13.20 per month, the RAM slider they have is just for minecraft servers so you do not need to add extra ram for ark.

Even better!! There's about 8 of us that play on my current server, so £160/year between us all is like £20 each per year which is peanuts really. It just depends on the quality of the service that Nitrado provide is all.

1 minute ago, thejoker00 said:

Even better!! There's about 8 of us that play on my current server, so £160/year between us all is like £20 each per year which is peanuts really. It just depends on the quality of the service that Nitrado provide is all.

That is why I am waiting for a month or so, did a google search and reviews were good for first month with low population of about 4, then people started to see problems with crashes/lag/unable to connect and play after a month and with higher populations.

Nitrado host the official servers and think they are good with 70 players on them lol (lag is horrendous)

Hoping it works out good and the service is good as I am interested in a PC host, but WC also said the service will go out to 3rd party hosts once framework is stable through Nitrado.

10 hours ago, cfrostyscriv said:

That is why I am waiting for a month or so, did a google search and reviews were good for first month with low population of about 4, then people started to see problems with crashes/lag/unable to connect and play after a month and with higher populations.

Nitrado host the official servers and think they are good with 70 players on them lol (lag is horrendous)

Hoping it works out good and the service is good as I am interested in a PC host, but WC also said the service will go out to 3rd party hosts once framework is stable through Nitrado.

Sounds like it's no better than a console server with the exception of server backups. My server always runs great but then it usually gets wiped because of a corrupt save file a few months down the road.  Wish they could just fix that. Only reason I was interested in a pc server was to host a cluster but  I'm not paying what it would cost to do that. Like a grand a year to host a 4 map cluster. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If I do a dedicated hosting on a spare PS4 and me and a couple others are in my house on separate PS4s playing, will it just use my LAN or is it going to be using internet for some reason. I've got satellite internet so the latency is high. I want to be able to do multiplayer using nothing but my home local network.

Archived