Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

Why does the decision have to be wipe or no wipe in that case anyways why not start a big cluster of servers at day 1 and keep current servers on their own cluster no transferring between the two that way people can restart if they want or keep their old stuff question is can WC afford to support that many new servers

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, OGCookies said:

Why does the decision have to be wipe or no wipe in that case anyways why not start a big cluster of servers at day 1 and keep current servers on their own cluster no transferring between the two that way people can restart if they want or keep their old stuff question is can WC afford to support that many new servers

^^^this

I feel like this rumor started with this thread. I don't really play officials very much (like... I logged into one once in the past month), so I couldn't really say one way or another, but this "theory" honestly just sounds like conspiracy crafting. I'd be quite confident in saying that both pro-wipe and anti-wipe people abuse game mechanics to dupe and such, but the pro-wipers simply identify it as one of the reasons they'd like to see a wipe on official release. Personally, I'd favor a wipe, but Wildcard needs to resolve some other issues with Officials before I'd consider playing on them.

35 minutes ago, Paneross said:

Not cool enough to give a solid answer about wipers or no wipes.

That is a business tactic that has nothing to do with me lol

it might be the same kind of tactic as offline raiding but people seem to think that is a tactic so as far as them waiting to give an answer that is a tactic as well

It is usually the parents fault. I say this in all seriousness. I say this not in religious deference, but as a truth. Spare the rod, and spoil the child.

A truth so simple, thousands of years ago, humans even then knew it. NVM the whole other rest of stuff, sometimes there is a bit of wisdom in even the craziest of things.

And yes, even in a crazy pro wipe theory of duping and cheating. I know of a couple of game mechanics I abuse for easy prime meat. And forcing spawns. And abusing game AI to my advantage.

Not as bad as duping or terrain glitching, in my opinion, but still using game AI to my advantage. I showed a new guy the prime trick, and he laughed and went along with it at first, then he said it felt like cheating. I told him, If it spawns there, and you kill it, and harvest 200 prime meat, and then go back, and there is another one, and you kill it, and harvest another 200 prime meat, and repeat as needed, it is not you spawning it, you are using a good method for farming prime. And he said, yeah, but you can do it so fast, it has to be wrong. I told him, I didn't code for that spawn to reset every time you render.

So yeah, entirely possible and likely that some people are intentionally abusing cheating to force a wipe. More than possible. Very likely.

• Volunteer Moderator

@X111

Moderator Answer:

The Mods do not have an answer on the wipe, nor can we force anyone to give us an answer; we could try, but it would end badly for any of us that tried(and it should).

Player Answer(yes, the mods also own and play the game):

It may be that WC knows exaclty what they are going to do, or, they may be developing a different strategy, or may attempt some other change/fix/adjustment/whatever.

Problem is, in this discussion, it appears to me that many here view this as binary solution:  Wipe = True | False. 

Some expand that a bit, to PVP Wipe = True | False and PVE Wipe = True | False.

A few of us have suggested other possible solutions beyond the binary.  One could be spot on, or WC could totally surprise us.   They have a different perspecitve than the rest of us.  That is not to suggest they ignore our perspectives, though I would guess after a while, the might skip those perspectives that seem to be stuck in some sort of loop, as they are offer nothing new.

Hence, why this thread has mostly become a cut down version of the movie Groundhog Day; Bill Murray wakes up, turns off the alarm clock, goes back to sleep, wakes up turns off the alarm clock, goes back to sleep, wakes up, turns off the alarm clock, goes back to sleep, wakes up,......  Occassionaly, Murray gets up and yawns, before going back to bed.

Don't get me wrong, anyone that wants to post their opinion is more than welcome to do so, and should (just like I am doing here); it is actually encouraged.  Howerver, something new or original in the converstaion, would be nice, and possibly useful.  But, that is my personal opinion.

47 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

The devs talk to me all the time. They are pretty cool when you get to know them. They are just very busy

If you know devs, please for the love of god ask them to add one Ragnarok server to the ORP PVP cluster. Just one is necessary, but 4 would be nice. (Also would like center too) So many new players join our cluster.

On topic: OP how do you know? I think *nearly* everyone dupes whether they care to admit or not. 

1 minute ago, 10,000 Jelly Doughnuts said:

If you know devs, please for the love of god ask them to add one Ragnarok server to the ORP PVP cluster. Just one is necessary, but 4 would be nice. (Also would like center too) So many new players join our cluster.

On topic: OP how do you know? I think *nearly* everyone dupes whether they care to admit or not. 

I don't know the devs on a personal level lol I can't just say hey put that in and then they do it. That would be nice but I do not have that privilege lol. 

13 minutes ago, Jerryn said:

@X111

Moderator Answer:

The Mods do not have an answer on the wipe, nor can we force anyone to give us an answer; we could try, but it would end badly for any of us that tried(and it should).

It may be that WC knows exaclty what they are going to do, or, they may be developing a different strategy, or may attempt some other change/fix/adjustment/whatever.

Problem is, in this discussion, it appears to me that many here view this as binary solution:  Wipe = True | False. 

A few of us have suggested other possible solutions beyond the binary.  One could be spot on, or WC could totally surprise us.   They have a different perspecitve than the rest of us.  That is not to suggest they ignore our perspectives, though I would guess after a while, the might skip those perspectives that seem to be stuck in some sort of loop, as they are offer nothing new.

Hence, why this thread has mostly become a cut down version of the movie Groundhog Day; Bill Murray wakes up, turns off the alarm clock, goes back to sleep, wakes up turns off the alarm clock, goes back to sleep, wakes up, turns off the alarm clock, goes back to sleep, wakes up,......  Occassionaly, Murray gets up and yawns, before going back to bed.

Don't get me wrong, anyone that wants to post their opinion is more than welcome to do so, and should (just like I am doing here); it is actually encouraged.  Howerver, something new or original in the converstaion, would be nice, and possibly useful.  But, that is my personal opinion.

Please refer to 2 posts above yours, 500posts in this thread didn't see one with my suggestion, would be useful if mods could at least help with suggestions for change instead of just slightly bashing posters Any time they hit the forum .....can we get a professional please SMH.....

11 minutes ago, Jerryn said:

@X111

Moderator Answer:

@JerrynI really appreciate the time and effort in your response, I was not hinting at a forced answer just anything would of been nice.

what you have stated could not be truer and evidently the reason for our Ground Hog Day is due to new contributors providing old input

for example: Murray finds out about love of piano and learns it continuously but it then became part of his systematic day to day doings, robs a bank, learns a language etc etc. until the posters of this discussion realise that no one has any idea of potential outcome and that the same theories are exhausted (Einstein's Theory of Relativity has had less debate).

my question then is why this hasn't been locked down yet?

we evidently have no further points to discuss and most items veer off topic and require realignment.

please  put us all out of our misery

• Volunteer Moderator
13 minutes ago, OGCookies said:

Please refer to 2 posts above yours, 500posts in this thread didn't see one with my suggestion, would be useful if mods could at least help with suggestions for change instead of just slightly bashing posters Any time they hit the forum .....can we get a professional please SMH.....

Read mine again and make sure you take note of the adjectives and adverbs I used.  You will find that I never said 'All'.

But, apparently, even though I tried to post as a player, I am not allowed that.  Even tried to be a bit funny while making a point.  So, I will not be posting in this thread any longer, unless required.  Thanks.

ETA:  

7 minutes ago, X111 said:

@JerrynI really appreciate the time and effort in your response, I was not hinting at a forced answer just anything would of been nice.

what you have stated could not be truer and evidently the reason for our Ground Hog Day is due to new contributors providing old input

for example: Murray finds out about love of piano and learns it continuously but it then became part of his systematic day to day doings, robs a bank, learns a language etc etc. until the posters of this discussion realise that no one has any idea of potential outcome and that the same theories are exhausted (Einstein's Theory of Relativity has had less debate).

my question then is why this hasn't been locked down yet?

we evidently have no further points to discuss and most items veer off topic and require realignment.

please  put us all out of our misery

There is no reason for this thread to be closed. Everybody is being civil right now and if this did get closed, believe me about 10 people would start another one. This is a controversial topic and everybody will make sure there is atleast one thread going. People try to start new ones even wth this one still active. 

This discussion is here to stay until release or a final word has been said and even then I am sure people will be discussing the answer that was given.

• Volunteer Moderator

@Volcano637 @X111

This will not be closed, just moderated if needed.

I hoped I was clear that all opinions are welcomed, even if many(which does not imply, All) are repeats of what has been said already; even repeats of what has been said by the same person.  

I was just pointing out, as a player myself, that something more constructive could be done.  It is up to the community members to do so, if they wish.  And, maybe, not look at everything as an insult or attacks, and maybe reach some middle ground.

3 minutes ago, Jerryn said:

@Volcano637 @X111

I hoped I was clear that all opinions are welcomed, even if many(which does not imply, All) are repeats of what has been said already; even repeats of what has been said by the same person.  

I was just pointing out, as a player myself, that something more constructive could be done.  It is up to the community members to do so, if they wish.  And, maybe, not look at everything as an insult or attacks, and maybe reach some middle ground.

I totally get you. And you being a player does give you the right to have an opinion as far as I am concerned.

and actually I am surprised, people have been a lot more civil in this wipe thread than back in past wipe threads. I have even been getting along with some of the pro wipers lol

hopefully soon they will give us an answer, I think that is one thing both sides want and can agree on right now lol even though I understand why they have not

6 minutes ago, Ssgsausagewiddles said:

Interesting Devs planning to wipe everything but not tell anyone till the last minute?

Even though that would be good news, I would still take that with a grain of salt. Even if they had an insider I would doubt they would betray them like that and then be out of the loop from now on.

After sailing around my PVE server for 2 hours yesterday looking for 1 anklo to tame, I'm really starting to get on the server-wipe bandwagon.  Even though the server is nominally PVE, the alpha tribes have effectively turned it into capitalist PVP.  Most of the dino spawn areas are paved over (for example, herb island is completed walled off) meaning that the only way to get dinos beyond infinite turtles, paras, and pelicans on the beachheads is to buy bred dinos from the the alpha tribes....  

It will be a shame to lose the many hours I've invested to reach my level and my small base, but if that's the cost to clearing out and opening up the server again, it may be a cost to bear.

The difficulty is that people will always snap up more than they need if there is no cost in maintaining it.  For example, one tribe/player(?) has completely walled off the entire headlands of the southeastern shores (the entire point made by Drayo's Cove and the Eastern Ocean) simply to provide a buffer around their/his @15X15 house.  You get inside the walls and the entire place is foundationed to prevent spawning, no dino's no other buildings, just a big empty wasteland.    To put that into perspective, that's 5% of the entire playable area (including the oceans!) for 1 building (and yes, I used a graphics editor to figure out the space usage) ....  

20 minutes ago, Jerryn said:

@Volcano637 @X111

your input shows your interest as both Mod and player and I speak for the majority in applauding it.

at least we are getting an input rather than a cattle round up. keep us on track but allow for more thought progression.

it is unfortunate that the criticism without structure is banded about instead of thought processing the entire thread and all inserts of information before forming keyboard warrior responses such as...

10 minutes ago, Ssgsausagewiddles said:

Interesting Devs planning to wipe everything but not tell anyone till the last minute?

i like how where anticipating a massive influx of new blood on 'release' this game is pretty much old news by now i kinda think the vast majority of players are already here i dont imagine a huge amount suddenly paying full price for a game thats been pretty widely exposed as a time wasting broken nightmare for over 2 years now , in my honest opinion if they wipe PVE that'll be it for me i will never come back and the vast majority of people i play with would probably never come back  a wipe could be the straw that brakes the back  and if the game sells poorly u could end up with a bunch of empty servers and alot of bitter people. PVP on the other hand as a competitive mode probably does need a wipe but again u will make many many bitter people!   but dont forget we paid for 'early access' and everyone had fair and equal opportunity to get in on it!

• GP locked this topic
  • Joebl0w13 unlocked this topic

Archived