Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

8 minutes ago, perk8504 said:

as for the skyrim comparison...we're talking about a single wipe intentionally induced by the company, not a them coming in and doing it every week (or so)...all the rest of the wipes are by the nature of the game

You are right, it was / is by design. Still it was frustrating and in my case it would ad up with the server wipe. When I would consider to start over I would also take all the hours I infested in my failed attempts into account. All I am saying is, that in a game were you have to spend so much effort to achieve a bit more than a small stone hut losing everything has a huge impact on people.

Plus, how can we be sure, that it will be the only wipe? They told us before, that we could keep our stuff. So that would not be worth much.

But most importantly I don't think they will fix all exploits in the next 6 weeks. So some day after release they could again argue for a wipe because people got stuff they got using exploits. And there will always be new players. So you can also always argue for a wipe to give new players a fair chance.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Wedge84 said:

You are right, it was / is by design. Still it was frustrating and in my case it would ad up with the server wipe. When I would consider to start over I would also take all the hours I infested in my failed attempts into account. All I am saying is, that in a game were you have to spend so much effort to achieve a bit more than a small stone hut losing everything has a huge impact on people.

Plus, how can we be sure, that it will be the only wipe? They told us before, that we could keep our stuff. So that would not be worth much.

But most importantly I don't think they will fix all exploits in the next 6 weeks. So some day after release they could again argue for a wipe because people got stuff they got using exploits. And there will always be new players. So you can also always argue for a wipe to give new players a fair chance.

there isn't as clean of a cut as retail release, after that, it becomes server roll backs (by hours, rare cases a day or 2) which is far from unheard of in games

and I know it's frustrating, I've had to start over several times too

3 hours ago, Thexone said:

I feel like most everyone who is in favor of a wipe plays PVP and is tired of being dominated by alpha tribes.  The problem is if they do a wipe they'll most likely also wipe PVE servers which there is seriously no reason to do so.  And furthermore I have to say your argument seems very flawed. What part of starting over or a "fresh start" as other have labeled it will hold back the megatribes?  Tribe of 2 or 3 vs tribe of 15, Give them both a fresh start on the same server, In the end the big tribe still wins and dominates.   Everyone who wants to see big tribes start over is trying to address a failing in game balancing by hitting reset. Only reset just results in the same scenario that played out before.  All the big tribes and tribe alliances come right back into the game.   

If you want to change something about the way the game balances out something about the game has to be changed.  A wipe does not achieve this

I think there is a reason to wipe pve as well. All the selfishness and people wanting to co troll way more of the map then they deserve to have. If they need that much space then they also have single player. The new players coming in need every possibility that all of you had to get some land to call home.

i tell you what, if you and all other pve people agree to give up half of your land I'll start being cool with not wiping pve. Until then I say wipe em all

1 hour ago, Wedge84 said:

That is a very general statement. You don't know what people might do. You don't know theire situation.

We play the game since it's release on PS4 and we hat to start over three times because were wiped by alphas. After a long search we negotiated ourself in a stable server with nice people, who help each other to build up and protect what they got.

I like the game, despite the lag, the bugs, the rollbacks etc. But I played the building up a base part of the game from scratch more than enough.

No matter how much you like a game, if you only get to play the first 20 % of the game? I would not had played Skyrim very long if I lost my save game every time I did beat the first dragon.

Same applies here. And I don't mean that as a threat. I don't plan to rage quit. But if we lose all our process it might just be a good time to quit a very time consuming game. That is just my standpoint, but I guess there are people who can relate to this. Especially those people who don't have so much spare time because of there personal lives and jobs. For them it is much more deterring to spend hounders of hours to get back to the point at which they are now.

ARK is an hobby, nothing more. If it starts to bore or frustrate you'll think about walking away.

To tell you the truth, ark is starting to get old for me. The only thing keeping me playing the game is that the wipe is going to happen. If they decide not I will probably stop playing.

now mind you, I won't be leaving because I am mad they didn't wipe, I would be leaving because it is boring now and if there wasn't a wipe it would be boring then as well.

i would also still leave a good review for WC and ark regardless because I don't throw fits and I don't let my feelings get in the way of the truth. The truth is that ark is an awesome game no matter what. The thing is that is is getting old. 2 years, that's a pretty good run. I have boughten some games and then traded them in within a month, sometimes a week lol.

i pity the people that only sleep in 3 hours spurts. I mean it is funny but man that's definitely not a life I want to live lol. Anyways, a wipe will also help them get their 8 hours of sleep for awhile atleast. Start thinking about people's healths and definitely their mental status because I haven't seen too many stable people in game lately

• Volunteer Moderator
9 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

To tell you the truth, ark is starting to get old for me. The only thing keeping me playing the game is that the wipe is going to happen.

Extinction servers are that away ---->

Feel free to get wiped on the regular. As much wipe as you can handle. All the wipe you can eat.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, Volcano637 said:

Pretty rude for a mod. I would have expected more professionalism 

It's not rude.

After much reading, careful consideration and some educated guesses. I'm thinking you are pro wipe (I could be wrong).

I simply pointed out there are servers you might find appealing to your wipe proclivities.

Just now, Joebl0w13 said:

It's not rude.

After much reading, careful consideration and some educated guesses. I'm thinking you are pro wipe (I could be wrong).

I simply pointed out there are servers you might find appealing to your wipe proclivities.

Before they all became PGM o did actually like them very much. After seeing 20 brontosaurus, 10 trikes, a couple diplos and many other Dino's on a very small island only big enough for one brontosaurus and they were all entangled together I decided extinction was no longer viable.

i am also not just thinking about myself in this. I know you are used to seeing people only caring about their needs and wants but I am not one of those people.

18 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

Before they all became PGM o did actually like them very much. After seeing 20 brontosaurus, 10 trikes, a couple diplos and many other Dino's on a very small island only big enough for one brontosaurus and they were all entangled together I decided extinction was no longer viable.

i am also not just thinking about myself in this. I know you are used to seeing people only caring about their needs and wants but I am not one of those people.

You sure seem pretty emotionally invested in this whole wipe thing.

Just now, DeningWei said:

You sure seem pretty emotionally invested in this whole wipe thing.

Nah emotions have nothing to do with it. A year ago to 6 months ago it did but that was the last time I was actually mad at anyone.

my mindset is the same yes, but they are for more "bigger picture" reasons now you could say.

either way the wipe is going to happen. 

1 minute ago, Victor117 said:

I play on pve around 1.5k hours.

Do i want to have to start over from scratch? Nope.

Is a wipe needed? Yep.

Will i quit playing the game after they wipe? Nope.

Boom^

thank you for realizing that a wipe would suck but it is needed. Believe me I know it is going to suck for people but after the rage leaves, how awesome will it be to get this game back to its former glory?

race to the finish and all. Right now the race is done. Time to start a new race

I believe a wipe is required for PVP, I have never played PVE so I cant say much on the PVE aspect of things.  The only thing I know forsure about PVE is people complaining about having no space to build because tribes claim such large portions of land.  Now for PVP, look at how many dupes items are still out there being used on the regular, or how many god dinos are still being found.  The only way to 100% get rid of all the duped items and dinos hiding among servers is to just wipe them all.  I know people will quit because of all the time they put into the game, but it will bring people back, it will also give new players a fighting chance.

I am really hoping for a wipe.

4 hours ago, Volcano637 said:

I think there is a reason to wipe pve as well. All the selfishness and people wanting to co troll way more of the map then they deserve to have. If they need that much space then they also have single player. The new players coming in need every possibility that all of you had to get some land to call home.

i tell you what, if you and all other pve people agree to give up half of your land I'll start being cool with not wiping pve. Until then I say wipe em all

Not all of us do massive land grabs.  I myself am in a two man tribe. No need for us to have a massive base.  And in addition to that I made sure our base didn't block in players who might be trying to travel on foot. I've seen some bases that block entire sections of the map and you're right that needs a fix. (A better fix would be an active mod who can warn the players not to block off so much of the map.)  The issue is your fix affects me and my small tribe the same way it does the massive land grab tribes.  And they will have no problem starting over again where is my tribe won't even be attempting. And when they jump back into the game after the wipe all they are going to do is grab all that land again, and possibly grief whatever noob dared to build in a spot where they old megabase used to be.   The real noobs won't even know that this is a issue and will still be dealing with it after the wipe. 

On 2/5/2017 at 4:23 AM, Killbolt said:

im sure we all have heard it before. "they will reset the game anyway so nothing matters now" and i was just seeing if anyone can give me a better answer then "i bet they will" or " i dont see why they wouldnt" thanks for reading.

Any ark official will tell you no, any other answers are from wishful desperate people  THERE WILL BE NO WIPE why these posts still flood the forums is beyond me

On 6/19/2017 at 3:33 AM, Vaskur said:

simple. they want to see all big tribes wiped... calling that equal chances if everyone has to start new.

what they don´t get is, that if these people do not quit after a wipe, they will very likely get back to old strenght. set up new pillars and foundations and block critical spots again. there is just no use in a wipe.
i actually don´t care if there is a wipe or not... but i think that a wipe will make no difference.(ok.. maybe chinese have to start over on their own and not with bred creatures, that some salty manchild gave to them....)

Your living in a PVE dreamworld. Most of the players that want a wipe are players that play PVP where such issues are non existent.

7 minutes ago, OGCookies said:

Any ark official will tell you no, any other answers are from wishful desperate people  THERE WILL BE NO WIPE why these posts still flood the forums is beyond me

Oh there is going to be one all right.

and no. There is not one official at all that would tell you there will joy he a wipe. Not one

On 6/19/2017 at 6:47 AM, dentrue said:

As I said in another thread, I strongly believe that WC tries to wind itself out of all statements they made against a server wipe from a year back.

There is an obvious reason why PVP-Servers call out for a wipe. Only to establish balance (whatever) for like a month until the old power structures established again.

But it's hard for them to wipe the PVE servers due to there is no halfway acceptable reason for it. People only mimimi for not being able to build everywhere they want on an already full server. Thats it. But WC seems to try to outsmart the community by deliberatelly implementing an update that led to the downfall of most PVE-Servers none the less.

Im talking about this horrific pillar-update which's only effect was to systematically destroy entire landscapes and completelly obliterated a servers ressource economy.

I sure hope they didn't do that for this particular reason but it sure looks like they're actively searching for an excuse to rewind their earlier statements not to wipe servers.

Now all they need to do is to wait another 1 or two weeks to speak out to the community:

"oops... we... erm... yeah... it kinda didnÄt work out as we planned it to. Well... most PVE maps are a complete desaster. We COULD just erase all lone pillars but we kinda made it that everyone was forced to place a spawn blocking structure above 'em, so the only way we can get this straight again is to completelly raze all structures. That sure sucks... but hey! You brought this on yourself! We didn't force you to exploit our changes in the game!"

I'm telling you. If this will be the official reason for a PVE-wipe, WC cowardly provoked it rather than just pulling its poop together.

I think most people would be happy even if they just wiped PVP servers. That's where the main issues from duping and other exploited glitches have had the most effect. PVE is kind of low key, passive mode where there is no real competition so wiping or not would only like affect issues relating to server lag and not much else.

7 minutes ago, catnip said:

Here's my question for you: If they wipe official servers wouldn't they also be required to wipe the unofficial servers if the issues they claim are causing them to wipe are game mechanics issues and not an issue with everyone starting off on the same supposed footing?

unofficial is up to the owner to wipe 

6 hours ago, Volcano637 said:

Which server is it that the land is so claimed that new people can't build?  I'll check it out.

6 hours ago, Volcano637 said:

Nah emotions have nothing to do with it. A year ago to 6 months ago it did but that was the last time I was actually mad at anyone.

my mindset is the same yes, but they are for more "bigger picture" reasons now you could say.

either way the wipe is going to happen. 

I try to engage in the conversation as much as I can to the point where I am thinking that perhaps I am over representing my own view.  Then I see your posts ... hundreds maybe even thousands declaring a wipe will occur and you tell me you aren't emotionally invested in your view?

I don't even have enough free time in the day to try and match that level of dedication even if I wanted to.

45 minutes ago, DeningWei said:

Which server is it that the land is so claimed that new people can't build?  I'll check it out.

I try to engage in the conversation as much as I can to the point where I am thinking that perhaps I am over representing my own view.  Then I see your posts ... hundreds maybe even thousands declaring a wipe will occur and you tell me you aren't emotionally invested in your view?

I don't even have enough free time in the day to try and match that level of dedication even if I wanted to.

Dedication and persistence. Doesn't take but a few seconds to come on here and speak my mind lol. Yeah once I start something I always stick with it till the end

• GP locked this topic
  • Joebl0w13 unlocked this topic

Archived